Rumor The EPCOT Hotel

2600loop

It really doesn't make much sense that they would cancel a resort where construction had already begun only to shift and build a different new resort in another location a few months later.
I agree it doesn’t make sense but that’ lack of sense makes me think it’s more likely

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Rumor: Disney to theme the Epcot entrance hotel to this adorable star of Journey Into Your Imagination!

13F771CC-3AC1-478B-A376-A1264E56A94F.jpeg

(What, you thought it would be that annoying animated little ******? 😂)

Snow Queen 83

I'd love to have more hotels with park entrances. I don't get why Magic (which is one of the most popular in the world) doesn't have any.

Come on Disney, there is money to be had. Picture watching fireworks from a balcony that's almost in the park.

Father Robinson

I'd love to have more hotels with park entrances. I don't get why Magic (which is one of the most popular in the world) doesn't have any.

Come on Disney, there is money to be had. Picture watching fireworks from a balcony that's almost in the park.
With the Contemporary and GF within walking distance (not to mention Contemporary 's views) and the Poly having a backyard view, it doesn't make much sense viewing-wise. Also it would seriously ruin the aesthetics outside the entrance to MK.

Snow Queen 83

With the Contemporary and GF within walking distance (not to mention Contemporary 's views) and the Poly having a backyard view, it doesn't make much sense viewing-wise. Also it would seriously ruin the aesthetics outside the entrance to MK.

It does if you have them enter on the left, right or even the back of the park. There's a lot of prime real estate still not being used near Magic

Plus Grand Flo is still way too far to walk even with the new bridge.

Father Robinson

It does if you have them enter on the left, right or even the back of the park. There's a lot of prime real estate still not being used near Magic

Plus Grand Flo is still way too far to walk even with the new bridge.
Right, but imagine the idea of a hotel anywhere that close to the borders of MK. It would be like your neighbors' kids building a fort in your yard. I can't be the only one that feels that the MK is sacred ground. This is exactly what Walt disliked about Disneyland. Businesses (albeit in this case, Disney's own) popping up right outside the borders of his magic kingdom. Even as big as MK is, sight lines are still important.

dmw

In the Parks
No
Right, but imagine the idea of a hotel anywhere that close to the borders of MK. It would be like your neighbors' kids building a fort in your yard. I can't be the only one that feels that the MK is sacred ground. This is exactly what Walt disliked about Disneyland. Businesses (albeit in this case, Disney's own) popping up right outside the borders of his magic kingdom. Even as big as MK is, sight lines are still important.
this ☝️

bdearl41

They did this at Paris and it’s quite nice but there also isn’t a Bay Lake there. I agree. No more hotels near Mk.

aliceismad

Wasn't Magic Kingdom built with the TTC separated from the park specifically to provide sightlines and build anticipation in guests as they move toward it via monorail and boat?

I don't know whether there were any similar thoughts when Epcot or the other parks were built. I'm sure there were, but Magic Kingdom seems very deliberately placed and buffered.

Snow Queen 83

It's 0.75 miles and accessible by ECV, wheelchair, etc. It's farther to walk from the Epcot entrance to the back of World Showcase.
Many would disagree. It’s less than a mile, you’ll walk way more than that in the park.

But if it’s too far for you then you can use the monorail or boat. Or stay at Bay Lake which is closer.
Then why build it?
Or they could use all of that space for attractions, which are needed far more than hotels.

It's cool to have the option I'm just saying it's better to be right next door than 8 blocks down the street. One of the reasons Grand Californian is the best resort in the DL resort is it's access to California Adventure.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's cool to have the option I'm just saying it's better to be right next door than 8 blocks down the street. One of the reasons Grand Californian is the best resort in the DL resort is it's access to California Adventure.
And it was designed to be. Just like MiraCosta and the DLP DL Hotel. You can’t just add a hotel (see the cancelled Epcot entrance hotel)

You can guarantee if they’d thought it a good enough money making idea they’d have done it already.

Not that I’m saying nothing will never happen mind. Should a quite obscure name from years gone by rear it’s head again I’ll just nod and smile.

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Wasn't Magic Kingdom built with the TTC separated from the park specifically to provide sightlines and build anticipation in guests as they move toward it via monorail and boat?

I don't know whether there were any similar thoughts when Epcot or the other parks were built. I'm sure there were, but Magic Kingdom seems very deliberately placed and buffered.
This is correct, but it is also one of the more complained about aspects of MK. I would assume this is why it was not done at any of the other parks in WDW.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This is correct, but it is also one of the more complained about aspects of MK. I would assume this is why it was not done at any of the other parks in WDW.
Why copy the same thing? Plus it was incredibly expensive not to mention Seven seas was born out of necessity. Further afield, Tokyo had no room and Paris went for a completely different orientation. Even though I know what to expect I’m still happy for the MK entrance experience.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There's a lot of prime real estate still not being used near Magic
Not as much as you think.

With the blessing of size comes the curse of swamps, water ways, sink holes, and green acres preservation.

WDW has mostly finished sprawling. That's why the towers of Destino and Riviera. We're going to see more towers as WDW builds up and not out.

There are a few spaces left for each park to sprawl, but they're not easy to convert into usable land. All the easy plots have been used up. Each expansion costs more and more.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Why copy the same thing? Plus it was incredibly expensive not to mention Seven seas was born out of necessity. Further afield, Tokyo had no room and Paris went for a completely different orientation. Even though I know what to expect I’m still happy for the MK entrance experience.
One could argue that the entrances for the other three parks are the same...parking lot/holding area/entrance.

Had this grand, building entrance really worked for MK I would expect to see it used elsewhere. Instead, many guests consider it a perk that the resort busses drop you off right at the entrance and avoid it entirely.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
One could argue that the entrances for the other three parks are the same...parking lot/holding area/entrance.

Had this grand, building entrance really worked for MK I would expect to see it used elsewhere. Instead, many guests consider it a perk that the resort busses drop you off right at the entrance and avoid it entirely.
Each to their own and all that.

Many guests also like Frozenstrom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom