Chiquita no longer sponsoring Living with the Land?

mikejs78

Premium Member
Kraft Foods was the first sponsor followed by Nestles and when they pulled out Chiquita took over in 2011 seems about time for a sponsor change. I liked the attraction when they had CM in the boats explaining things and you could ask questions IMO it was a shame they got rid of them. Guess it was a cost cutting move as Disney so often does.
My dad was an account rep for Kraft when I was a kid - during Kraft's sponsorship of the pavilion. When we went to WDW as a family for the first time in 1988, we were able to visit the VIP lounge, which was a fun experience.

Chomama

My dad was an account rep for Kraft when I was a kid - during Kraft's sponsorship of the pavilion. When we went to WDW as a family for the first time in 1988, we were able to visit the VIP lounge, which was a fun experience.
So we may have been there too! My first memories of the land pavilion are a family trip with kraft in the late 80s. My dad was a senior VP of the company. We got a backstage tour and were gifted plush kitchen kabaret toys. I slept with that brocolli for years!

Chicken Guy

I used to think a sponsor was some sort of safety net for attractions that might otherwise get tampered with, but then GMR got axed even with their TCM sponsor. So this news just puts me in a mild state of foreboding. My favorite attraction, hope it gets another sponsor soon!

DreamfinderGuy

I used to think a sponsor was some sort of safety net for attractions that might otherwise get tampered with, but then GMR got axed even with their TCM sponsor. So this news just puts me in a mild state of foreboding. My favorite attraction, hope it gets another sponsor soon!
The Land has it's own safety net of sorts. Stuff like Horizons or Energy or whatever wasn't integral to WDW, while The Land is an integral facility that happens to have a ride going through it. Plus it gets seasonal overlays now and it's popularity is not unnoticed. On top of that even, Behind the Seeds prints money in precedented times. I don't think it's immune to changes, but getting axed as a whole is very unlikely.

peter11435

The Land has it's own safety net of sorts. Stuff like Horizons or Energy or whatever wasn't integral to WDW, while The Land is an integral facility that happens to have a ride going through it. Plus it gets seasonal overlays now and it's popularity is not unnoticed. On top of that even, Behind the Seeds prints money in precedented times. I don't think it's immune to changes, but getting axed as a whole is very unlikely.
I don’t think the land will get axed anytime soon. Mostly because it is popular and they do recognize that. But “integral” might by a bit hyperbolic.

peter11435

We usually had a few garnishes from the Land on the menu of the restaurant I worked at, it was always cool to tell guests that it was grown and served right in the park. So definitely not a major contributor, but they do produce some food for WDW.
Some yes. But in the overall scheme of WDW food operations what the land provides is infinitesimal and not integral to the operation.

Disstevefan1

Wouldn’t shock me. It’s such an odd attraction to sponsor. Made sense, but it’s honestly super dated.
To me, The Land is the best pavilion in EPCOT.

It’s got three attractions (Sorin being one of the best attractions in EPCOT) , it’s got one of the most unique sit down dining there is, the counter service food court is great! It has guest accessible beverages for free refills and has a back stage walking tour of the green house.

Ironically, the only thing it does not have is a formal gift shop.

Movielover

To me, The Land is the best pavilion in EPCOT.

It’s got three attractions (Sorin being one of the best attractions in EPCOT) , it’s got one of the most unique sit down dining there is, the counter service food court is great! It has guest accessible beverages for free refills and has a back stage walking tour of the green house.

Ironically, the only thing it does not have is a formal gift shop.

Just announced, Living in the Land will be closed to change the attraction over into retail space.

"We noticed The Land lacked a opportunity for our guests to connect with, interact, and take home a part of what makes our parks and resorts a compelling part of the consumer market" Bob Chapek stated in a interview.

Each of the former greenhouses will be magically transformed into a different immersive themed retail environment offering the latest in Disney products and offerings.

"It's what our guests demanded from us, so of course it was a no brainer"
Stated the lead Imagineer on his Instagram account.

;)

Sir_Cliff

Just announced, Living in the Land will be closed to change the attraction over into retail space.

"We noticed The Land lacked a opportunity for our guests to connect with, interact, and take home a part of what makes our parks and resorts a compelling part of the consumer market" Bob Chapek stated in a interview.

Each of the former greenhouses will be magically transformed into a different immersive themed retail environment offering the latest in Disney products and offerings.

"It's what our guests demanded from us, so of course it was a no brainer"
Stated the lead Imagineer on his Instagram account.

;)
I think they'd just do a DME if they decided to close it and announce "Guests have more choices than ever before in terms of how to spend their time. In order to allow guests greater flexibility, we have decided to discontinue Living with the Land."

John park hopper

The original Good Turn Restaurant IMO was the best food wise(order a la cart) and taking you behind the scenes of the land as it revolved

Good Turn Restaurant, The​

Good Turn Restaurant, The Restaurant in The Land at Epcot, from October 1, 1982, to May 1986. Became The Land Grille Room and later the Garden Grill Restaurant. The restaurant slowly rotates while one eats, providing views into settings on the nearby boat ride attraction originally known as Listen to the Land and later as Living with the Land. The Good Turn served some of the best breakfasts at Walt Disney World.

I can't find any videos of the original so if anyone has home movies of it please post would love to see. How many remember the original and have the same feeling it was the best?

disneyC97

There was a gap between the Nestle and Chiquita sponsorships to my knowledge. Also, Kraft and Nestle sponsored the entire pavilion where I think Chiquita just sponsored the boat ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom