News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
I highly doubt Splash will close before 2023 for the change. They need that open for all of the 50th especially since the other stuff they're working on won't be open yet.
Yeah since this year is the 50th celebration, which ends in 2022 unless I'm mistaken. I'm guessing that they'd want as much as EPCOT cleaned up/finished (GotG), Tron, and whatever else they've got going on.

Also I'm pretty sure they can risk pulling Jungle Cruise for a portion of that time, as opposed to Splash which more people would flock to since it's going away at some point.

Surferboy567

Yeah since this year is the 50th celebration, which ends in 2022 unless I'm mistaken. I'm guessing that they'd want as much as EPCOT cleaned up/finished (GotG), Tron, and whatever else they've got going on.

Also I'm pretty sure they can risk pulling Jungle Cruise for a portion of that time, as opposed to Splash which more people would flock to since it's going away at some point.
The thing about Jungle Cruise is that the ride is getting changed, but fundamentally will be very similar to the current experience. That is how I see it though.

The splash situation is for all intensive purposes a brand new attraction. Yes, the flume will probably be identical but the actual ride is likely to be extremely different.

EagleScout610

Premium Member
The thing about Jungle Cruise is that the ride is getting changed, but fundamentally will be very similar to the current experience. That is how I see it though.

The splash situation is for all intensive purposes a brand new attraction. Yes, the flume will probably be identical but the actual ride is likely to be extremely different.
Jungle is only getting a handful scenes added/updated.

Disney Glimpses

The truth is, Iger will be long gone before the first thorn is removed from Splash Mountain. A lot can change by then. Like I said earlier, sooner or later, something will happen with the attraction. But that doesn't mean it can't be shelved for 5, 7 or even 10 years.

I also am still trying to process what may happen to Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah. I suppose they can just continue using it and just no respond to any complaints regarding it.

Disney Glimpses

Personally, I wish they would've remade the film. Used it as a spring board to educate and right the wrongs in the original film.

Imagine how lovely a James Baskett audio animatronic would've been at the end of the attraction sitting with Brer rabbit. That's the thing that stings the most about this. Losing him, his song and his contribution to Disney and Black history.

I've seen many talk about the fables, I'm not informed enough to argue on that front. But I do think banishing the film and James Baskett along with it is truly a crime.

owlsandcoffee

I've seen many talk about the fables, I'm not informed enough to argue on that front. But I do think banishing the film and James Baskett along with it is truly a crime.

I agree that Baskett was a genius performer and it's a shame that he has been so unceremoniously booted from the Disney canon.

With regard to the Disney version of the Uncle Remus Tales... I maintain that they are very clearly rooted in minstrelsy. Br'er Fox is a dandy in the minstrel tradition (fast talking, thinks himself smarter than the others, even has the hat and jacket) and Br'er Bear is the...well... think of a different animal that likes to eat trash. The voice performers were black, yes (including Baskett as Br'er Fox, the man had range) but it's that in part that makes the characters so clearly racialized. And to just plop those characters into a cute flume ride does not change that.

I fully understand that people like Splash Mountain and are attached to it and even, now, to the Br'er characters. I don't judge them for that. I just believe that minstrel characters (which I do believe these to be) make the park less enjoyable for a sizeable portion of Americans.

Last edited:

Disney Glimpses

I agree that Baskett was a genius performer and it's a shame that he has been so unceremoniously booted from the Disney canon.

With regard to the Disney version of the Uncle Remus Tales... I maintain that they are very clearly rooted in minstrelsy. Br'er Fox is a dandy in the minstrel tradition (fast talking, thinks himself smarter than the others, even has the hat and jacket) and Br'er Bear is the...well... think of a different animal that likes to eat trash. The voice performers were black, yes (including Baskett as Br'er Fox, the man had range) but it's that in part that makes the characters so clearly racialized. And to just plop those characters into a cute flume ride does not change that.

I fully understand that people like Splash Mountain and are attached to it and even, now, to the Br'er characters. I don't judge them for that. I just believe that minstrel characters (which I do believe these to be) make the park less enjoyable for a sizeable portion of Americans.
Thanks for sharing that. My novice understanding of the argument promoting the fables is that they were fables told by African Americans so they should be preserved. That sounds plausible to me. But that doesn't mean they aren't rooted in minstrelsy. And yes, maybe banishing the film and everything with it isn't the correct decision. But it also doesn't mean a minstrelsy rooted cast of characters belongs in a theme park predominantly directed at children.

owlsandcoffee

Thanks for sharing that. My novice understanding of the argument promoting the fables is that they were fables told by African Americans so they should be preserved. That sounds plausible to me. But that doesn't mean they aren't rooted in minstrelsy. And yes, maybe banishing the film and everything with it isn't the correct decision. But it also doesn't mean a minstrelsy rooted cast of characters belongs in a theme park predominantly directed at children.
Oh I wholeheartedly agree that the Uncle Remus Tales should be preserved. Joel Chandler Harris was white but ostensibly the tales are from black slaves. I even think they're worth adapting, but not with minstrelsy.

And I think SotS should be available, maybe not to children but still. One minor disappointment for me is that Marc Davis's animation for it is some of his best. Hilarious, expressive, beautiful. Awesome character work. Worthy of a 4K release, ya know. Just a shame that it's yoked to racist caricature.

EagleScout610

Premium Member
The voice performers were black, yes (including Baskett as Br'er Fox, the man had range) but it's that in part that makes the characters so clearly racialized. And to just plop those characters into a cute flume ride does not change that.
MAYBE the characters on Splash sound black because wait for it...the voice actors were black, with the exception being Jess Harnell. Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear were voiced by JD Hall and James Avery respectively.
J.D._Hall.pngMV5BMzE2MzM0NjI1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTkyMDg4MDE@._V1_.jpg
JD Hall (Br'er Fox) James Avery (Br'er Bear)

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

I also am still trying to process what may happen to Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah. I suppose they can just continue using it and just no respond to any complaints regarding it.
The complaints against Zipadeedoodah is a conspiracy at best. There’s no proof in favour of it, but I suppose there’s also no proof against it. But it’s a song. I don’t think anyone should feel guilty for liking it because there’s nothing particularly wrong with the song itself.
I really don’t understand the comparison of Splash Mountain to Minstrel shows. I don’t know anybody who would ever compare them.
The term “minstrel” has been continuously parroted by people on Twitter, and came from...a particular user that spends most of his time baiting people and calling them racist if they disagree with his “hot takes”. There really isn’t anything particularly “minstrel” about the animated sections of the film. You could probably stretch things to classify elements of the live action segments as “minstrel elements”, but the ride is based on the cartoon sections. It just features classic Disney slapstick. There’s more of a case for Mickey Mouse being rooted in minstrels.

owlsandcoffee

I'm not a mod, but I do follow this thread.... If you knew this was coming, that someone was bothered by the direction of the conversation, maybe then take your discussion private.

In the future I will take that advice into consideration. I didn't do a good enough job of tempering my feelings, and got a bit too intense. Won't happen again :)

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
In the future I will take that advice into consideration. I didn't do a good enough job of tempering my feelings, and got a bit too intense. Won't happen again :)
We are all Disney fans with strong feelings! I'm still upset that 20k leagues is no longer around to enjoy, however this attraction will still be around for those who are upset to go down but with a different tune.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom