Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member
Illinois is opening to 16+ on April 12th, for all counties except Cook County (Chicago)
Demand is still far exceeding supply here. It’s still pretty hard to find appointments. Loretto Hospital got in trouble because the hospital CEO has a condo in Trump Tower and started using its allotment of vaccine for the workers there. Then apparently moved on to Cook County judges and their wives 🙄

Disney Experience

Actually, we have lots of evidence that the wearing of masks is very effective. While N95 masks are more effective, there is a growing and already massive amount of evidence that all masks are at least somewhat effective.

I liked the article you linked. It would have been of more clarity if it had spoken(i.e. referenced studies, as it is a meta study) to non N95/KN95 masks. It alluded that some of the studies it summarized did not break it down into different types of masks. So I did find a small study, but its scope and other aspects are not perfect. (My following comments are in reference to the article linked below, not the article @havoc315 linked above)

For anyone curious about how effective or ineffective different types of masks are here is a very small study that tried to get come clarity on that subject (But I have a few concerns with it, but it was published and I assumed peer reviewed in Nature). Though the study is small and the results may therefore be confounded with other unrecognized variables. It still interesting to see. It shows that N95(vented! they had no unvented n95 for the experiment) do help a lot, Kn95 a bit , but the homemade cloth masks seemed to be worse than no masks in amount of particles out. (That seems weird to me). So some of the results may go against what I would expect , but it was published by Nature.

They also did not study the particle amounts escaping from gaps in the masks which was left for future a future study.

Generally (to me ) the idea behind masks (in Pandemic general population) is to limit the distance the aerosols/droplets travel, and that was not the subject of the paper linked below either.

But It has a lot of linked references to different types of studies of masks' effectiveness ranging from epidemiology, clinical, and laboratory studies that were published before it's publication late September 2020.

Here are the types of masks (and no mask) they had in their experiment: (I would have loved to have seen a non N95/kn-95/surgical mask that was massed produced used in the study, but none were. I think they were looking at homemade masks vs more medical grade masks. So they made homemade masks, with what level of quality/consistency control? There were Kn95/N95(Vented!)/surgical masks in the study and they are commercial products. They did not try an unvented N95 but relied on the kn95 equivalent. KN95 is good to have in the studies because they are more commonly used in certain professions than the harder to get non-vented N95 certified masks.

• (i) A surgical mask (ValuMax 5130E-SB) denoted as “Surg.”, tested by 10 participants.
  • (ii) An unvented KN95 respirator (GB2626-2006, manufacturer Nine Five Protection Technology, Dongguan, China), tested by 10 participants.
  • (iii) A homemade single-layer paper towel mask (Kirkland, 2-PLY sheet, 27.9 cm × 17.7 cm) denoted as “SL-P” and tested by 10 participants.
  • (iv) A homemade single-layer t-shirt mask, “SL-T”, made from a new cotton t-shirt (Calvin Klein Men’s Liquid Cotton Polo, 100% cotton, item #1341469), tested by 10 participants.
  • (v) A homemade double-layer t-shirt mask, “DL-T”, made from the same t-shirt material as the SL-T mask, and tested by 10 participants.
  • (vi)A vented N95 respirator (NIOSH N95, Safety Plus, TC-84A-7448)) tested by 2 participants; shortages at the time of testing precluded a larger sample size. The primary difference between an N95 and KN95 respirator is where the mask is certified, in the US. (N95) or China (KN95).

• The homemade cloth masks (SL-T, and DL-T) were made according to the CDC do-it-yourself instructions for single- and double-layer t-shirt masks

If the study had a lot more people then there might be even clearer results, outliers and study protocol could also cloud results. (Did they have each subject try each masks? Looks like they did not, they even did not have enough N95 masks for more than two subjects!

Last edited:

rogerrabbitfan9

Thanks GoofGoof. We are in our upper 50's with serious healthcare conditions such that we qualify for 1a status and are in PA. Despite registering with the county board of health months ago, we have not been contacted by any vaccine locations and our local grocery store pharmacy has apparently been giving shots to grocery store workers, regardless of their age or other health concerns. May 1st seems too far out of reach for us to receive both doses. Maybe that's the way things are everywhere. Doesn't sound like it, but patience is our guide.
What side of Pa? The impression I’ve gotten from other social media sites is that in at least western Pa there are open appointment slots now if you qualify, but you’re going to have to be a little aggressive to find them.

correcaminos

Demand is still far exceeding supply here. It’s still pretty hard to find appointments. Loretto Hospital got in trouble because the hospital CEO has a condo in Trump Tower and started using its allotment of vaccine for the workers there. Then apparently moved on to Cook County judges and their wives 🙄
Demand is quite high here. I spent a lot of time today helping others. Some were luckier than others. The ones willing to drive to more rural areas, are getting luckier. Shame on that CEO for doing what they did though.

Disney Experience

Still hard for some in Florida to get appointments. Anecdotally today I was in a Uber vehicle and the driver is 62 and diabetic. He tried a number of times to get an appointment with no success. (I do not know how hard he tried). He said, "All I want is the vaccine card". He then said he could not visit for emotional support a relative who was in a hospital in another state, and feels that the vaccine card would have made it possible. So he is not worried for his own health or herd immunity, rather it is more for what he feels the vaccine "card" will allow him to do if there is a family emergency. Just a simple single sample point, I was surprise that given his comorbidities and age he has not yet gotten vaccinated yet. Do not know if he just stopped trying, but he seemed at least a bit motivated to get vaccinated.

Last edited:

Disney Experience

I have only a digital copy (it was sent via email) I do go tomorrow for a blood draw. I'll ask about a card then. Not for this, but just in case for other things. I would actually give a KK donut to my kid.
Hehe I go in Wednesday for my 6 month trial visit. I will see if I can get a card too. Though I am dieting...so I really should not use the card to get free donuts (But I may a few times during the diet)

pixie225

I have also been trying to get vaccine appts. for some elderly neighbors. It definitely takes time and patience - mostly time. They are opening a mass vaccination site at Nassau Coliseum with registration at 8 a.m. Will be on several computers and phones trying for appts.. I definitely see a flaw in the system for those who are not computer literate. It is especially frustrating when you are in a virtual line, and then get "timed out" or get in the "room" and find no appts available. Or on phone and all you get is a busy signal. The pop-up sites they are making available for residents are not widely advertised- even for residents in that zip code. Hopefully with more vaccine coming our way (supposedly a million doses a week, as our county supervisor just said in the news) things will be easier.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Results from a U.S. trial of AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine may have included “outdated information” and that could mean the company provided an incomplete view of efficacy data, American federal health officials said early Tuesday.

A spokesman from the drug company said Tuesday it was “looking into it.”

AstraZeneca reported Monday that its COVID-19 vaccine provided strong protection among adults of all ages in a long-anticipated U.S. study, a finding that some experts hoped would help rebuild public confidence in the shot around the world and move it a step closer to clearance in the U.S.

In the study of more than 30,000 people, the company reported that the vaccine was found to be 79% effective at preventing symptomatic cases of COVID-19 — including in older adults. There were no severe illnesses or hospitalizations among vaccinated volunteers, compared with five such cases in participants who received dummy shots — a small number, but consistent with findings from Britain and other countries that the vaccine protects against the worst of the disease.

AstraZeneca also said the study’s independent safety monitors found no serious side effects, including no increased risk of rare blood clots like those identified in Europe, a scare that led numerous countries to briefly suspend vaccinations last week.

But just hours after those encouraging results were reported, the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases issued an unusual statement.

The agency said the Data and Safety Monitoring Board “expressed concern that AstraZeneca may have included outdated information from that trial, which may have provided an incomplete view of the efficacy data.”

“We urge the company to work with the DSMB to review the efficacy data and ensure the most accurate, up-to-date efficacy data be made public as quickly as possible,” the statement added.

The company aims to file an application with the Food and Drug Administration in the coming weeks, and the government’s outside advisers will then publicly debate the evidence.

Authorization and guidelines for use of the vaccine in the United States will be determined by the FDA and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention after thorough review of the data by independent advisory committees."

correcaminos

"Results from a U.S. trial of AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine may have included “outdated information” and that could mean the company provided an incomplete view of efficacy data, American federal health officials said early Tuesday.

AstraZeneca reported Monday that its COVID-19 vaccine provided strong protection among adults of all ages in a long-anticipated U.S. study, a finding that some experts hoped would help rebuild public confidence in the shot around the world and move it a step closer to clearance in the U.S.

In the study of more than 30,000 people, the company reported that the vaccine was found to be 79% effective at preventing symptomatic cases of COVID-19 — including in older adults. There were no severe illnesses or hospitalizations among vaccinated volunteers, compared with five such cases in participants who received dummy shots — a small number, but consistent with findings from Britain and other countries that the vaccine protects against the worst of the disease.

AstraZeneca also said the study’s independent safety monitors found no serious side effects, including no increased risk of rare blood clots like those identified in Europe, a scare that led numerous countries to briefly suspend vaccinations last week.

But just hours after those encouraging results were reported, the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases issued an unusual statement.

The agency said the Data and Safety Monitoring Board “expressed concern that AstraZeneca may have included outdated information from that trial, which may have provided an incomplete view of the efficacy data.”

“We urge the company to work with the DSMB to review the efficacy data and ensure the most accurate, up-to-date efficacy data be made public as quickly as possible,” the statement added.

The company aims to file an application with the Food and Drug Administration in the coming weeks, and the government’s outside advisers will then publicly debate the evidence.

Authorization and guidelines for use of the vaccine in the United States will be determined by the FDA and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention after thorough review of the data by independent advisory committees."

Honestly I am not dissing this vaccine but glad the US doesn't need it. Just seems like a long shot at this point. I wouldn't hesitate to take it, but maybe it can be a better use to our neighbors.

Kevin_W

I remember reading about this nasal spray some time ago, here's a newer article:

Still not a lot of detail, like how long it is effective for if pre-exposure, or how long after exposure you should use it. Are there long-term side effects? If it worked, I could see using this like a morning allergy spray. Particularly durign cold/flu season or while travelling.

Heppenheimer

I remember reading about this nasal spray some time ago, here's a newer article:

Still not a lot of detail, like how long it is effective for if pre-exposure, or how long after exposure you should use it. Are there long-term side effects? If it worked, I could see using this like a morning allergy spray. Particularly durign cold/flu season or while travelling.
Color me a bit skeptical. They tout that it kills "99.9%" of viruses, but no mention if it actually prevents infection if exposed. 99.9% may sound impressive, but when you're dealing with viral loads measured in powers of 10, a 99.9% could still leave millions to billions of viral particles unaffected.

This sounds a bit too much like products that are touted as a cure for "cancer", as if cancer was a single disease that could ever respond to a single agent..

mmascari

Something definitely feels wrong at the AstraZeneca management level. Everything may be completely fine and their vaccine just as good as any of the others. But, it feels like they're making rookie mistakes and sloppy at the management level. I'm assuming the science is completely fine, especially since areas using it seem to be doing well. It definitely doesn't present a good image though.

havoc315

Really seems that demand is unfortunately waning from the middle and higher aged groups. Younger ages will be even less demand overall. Will be interesting to see just where the percentage of population taking the vaccine plateaus.

My thoughts exactly. If states are finding that they have enough open appointments to open up eligibility to everyone.... when under 25% of their population is vaccinated, to me that sounds like a waning demand issue.
Hopefully greater public education will push up demand.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Really seems that demand is unfortunately waning from the middle and higher aged groups. Younger ages will be even less demand overall. Will be interesting to see just where the percentage of population taking the vaccine plateaus.
Overall in the US we are up to 69.2% of the 65+ group vaccinated. Demand is very different from state to state and even areas within the state. I still know some 65+ people in PA who are searching but haven’t been able to find an appointment. It seems like in a lot of other states the demand is slowing. Herd immunity could very well be reached geographically but not nationally which is bad news for a place like WDW which attracts guests from all over.

One thing to consider is this is just the initial phase of vaccinating the people who said they wanted the vaccine as soon as it was available. Most people who have gotten the vaccine so far has made a pretty substantial effort to do so. The pull phase is coming real soon when there is more of an effort to pull people off of the fence and bring them in. Completely anecdotal, but my parent’s neighbor is 65+ and wants the vaccine but she isn’t going to scramble to get an appointment, she told them she would just wait until she could go to her doctor’s office to get it. I think there are going to be a lot of people in that category. The next phase will need to attract them in and success or failure will depend on who well we accomplish that. The speed at which we relax restrictions is also going to be based on how fast we vaccinate people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom