News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
What about a gun or a Harry Potter tattoo as I actually said?

What about a guest that enters the park wearing a Harry Potter shirt? Or a Thing 1 or Thing 2 shirt? How about a Minions one? Are they asked to leave? Harry Potter is not offensive. As for the gun - how is the gun depicted? What if the CM has a Guns N Roses tattoo? What if a guest is wearing a Guns N Roses T-Shirt? Should they be asked to leave? How about a tattoo of Jack Sparrow holding a pistol?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
So why can’t another employee cover up a sleeve? If it is backwards and archaic for one person then it is for all. Why should that person have to give up their individual identity if it is wrong to make that part of a job?

While a custodian is not part of the show that is the reason for them to not have a look that draws attention. They are supposed to blend in. They’re the equivalent of the stagehands who have to wear all black to minimize how much they are seen.
Coming from a theatre graduate... There is a difference between a custodian and an actor.

Stagehands don't have to maintain a certain look on the same standards of actors. They don't have to put stage makeup on, or fix their hair for a particular part. The closest that get in appearance to being an actor is wearing a "costume," all black. Ridiculous argument. It literally doesn't make sense in this context.

UNCgolf

So we’re right back at the position that there should be no costumes. That they are not part of the experience.

As I said above, hasn't Disney already made that clear?

There are still some exceptions, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them all gone in the next 5 years.

wdrive

What about a guest that enters the park wearing a Harry Potter shirt? Or a Thing 1 or Thing 2 shirt? How about a Minions one? Are they asked to leave? Harry Potter is not offensive. As for the gun - how is the gun depicted? What if the CM has a Guns N Roses tattoo? What if a guest is wearing a Guns N Roses T-Shirt? Should they be asked to leave? How about a tattoo of Jack Sparrow holding a pistol?

A guest isn’t a cast member?

I don’t think any tattoo should be visible on a cast member.
A guest can have guns and blood tattooed all over their face for all I care.

TrainsOfDisney

On the surface I get the tattoo logic. Disney wants a certain "look" to those representing the company that is considered at the very least tasteful. But it's really subjective on what constitutes an "acceptable" tattoo.

But here's my problem. No consistency.

While employed by Disney, you may have a visible tattoo because you make me money at the box office and through various merchandise tie-ins.
View attachment 540480

You on the other hand, fresh out of college and living with three roommates to make ends meet.....may not have a visible tattoo.

View attachment 540481

You, who make me money and help sell my merchandise (including those funny little hats) - you may have a visible tattoo.

View attachment 540482

You - who have been a model employee and hard worker in your many years with the company - you may not.

View attachment 540483

And don't give me the "Well, they're movie stars" - "they're not in the parks". Because they are representing Disney through the press, media, and personal appearances. Most people that know who they are - are readily buying up their Disney merchandise in the parks and are well aware that they sport a tattoo (in a lot of cases - several of them)
That’s nothing new. Walt Disney had a moustache and CM’s weren’t allowed to have any facial hair.
I believe characters are actors.
Disney has convinced equity they are not ;) haha.
I'll have my fiancee weigh in, who worked for 2 years at McDonalds during high school and literally had to clean up human s*** in the bathroom... Just to make it a fair representation coming from someone who worked in a similar area.

"If I'm working custodial for just a little bit above minimum wage, nobody's telling me how I'm going to fix up my hair."

Simple as that. I'd be willing to bet that most custodial cast members would prefer to be in charge of their own hair, lol.
I used to clean restrooms on the trains and at the station at my first job. I also had to wear a tie, vest, black pants, long sleeve shirt, etc. - the boss would just tell me “you need a haircut” - it was a small company haha.

wdrive

Coming from a theatre graduate... There is a difference between a custodian and an actor.

Stagehands don't have to maintain a certain look on the same standards of actors. They don't have to put stage makeup on, or fix their hair for a particular part. The closest that get in appearance to being an actor is wearing a "costume," all black. Ridiculous argument. It literally doesn't make sense in this context.

An employee backstage at Disney can look however they want, it dosent effect anything onstage.

Notice the words that are used for Disney. Onstage, backstage. Everything onstage should be show ready.
Onstage things should look how they are supposed to

WondersOfLife

Disney has convinced equity they are not ;) haha.
The role of an actor is still an actor, whether they're equity or not. People performing in community theatre, or college productions, are still actors.
I used to clean restrooms on the trains and at the station at my first job. I also had to wear a tie, vest, black pants, long sleeve shirt, etc. - the boss would just tell me “you need a haircut” - it was a small company haha.
And that's fair. Like mentioned before, you can choose not to work at a company with specific restrictions. I completely agree with that. It doesn't change my stance, though. Not sure why people are so hung about this.

WondersOfLife

An employee backstage at Disney can look however they want, it dosent effect anything onstage.

Notice the words that are used for Disney. Onstage, backstage. Everything onstage should be show ready.
Of course... But it's 2021, not 1971. Things change. Sorry.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
A guest isn’t a cast member?

I don’t think any tattoo should be visible on a cast member.
A guest can have guns and blood tattooed all over their face for all I care.

But Disney does have a policy on guest's attire. There are shirts and wording that aren't permitted. If you violate that policy you will be asked to change clothes (or in some cases outright be asked to leave). If the CM is presentable, represents the company professionally, why would it matter if they had a visible tattoo that was not offensive?

Disney Analyst

It’s true, it’s explained that the inclusion key is a “booster” to the other keys. While the other keys go in order of importance, inclusion can fall under any of the 4 original keys.

In that case then I'd still say the "show" argument is moot with this then, as inclusion likely trumps show for the Disney Look, going forward.

And let's be real, they've taken many liberties when it comes to show to ensure a modern experience with shopping, dining, and attractions. Nothing is 100% of the time period in which the show is set.

EPICOT

I think people forget the main purpose of a CM is to provide good service to all guests. To do this, they need to be professional, yet approachable. This is why you have a dress code that is simple and plain in order to accommodate for all guests. When they are at work, they are representing the company, not themselves.

dreday3

I think people forget the main purpose of a CM is to provide good service to all guests. To do this, they need to be professional, yet approachable. This is why you have a dress code that is simple and plain in order to accommodate for all guests. When they are at work, they are representing the company, not themselves.

Sure. And maybe Disney thinks it's time to move on from the company representation of the "clean cut American white boy/girl from 1950" and encompass what America really does look like today.

(no, I'm not talking about people hired to play a specific role such as a character actor. and please don't try and tell me working the merchandise counter is part of the "theme" that would be ruined by a girl with colorful beads in her hair)

castlecake2.0

Original Poster

Backstage cast have to follow the same grooming guidelines as well
In that case then I'd still say the "show" argument is moot with this then, as inclusion likely trumps show for the Disney Look, going forward.

And let's be real, they've taken many liberties when it comes to show to ensure a modern experience with shopping, dining, and attractions. Nothing is 100% of the time period in which the show is set.
The inclusion key doesn’t trump any of the original keys, it just adds additional talking/thinking points to each key.

Disney Analyst

Backstage cast have to follow the same grooming guidelines as well

The inclusion key doesn’t trump any of the original keys, it just adds additional talking/thinking points to each key.

I hope it was clear what I was saying.

I am trying to say that in each key, when it comes to inclusion it may trump aspects of that key.

For example, a person with braids and beads in hair may not be technically matching the "show" key for the land/area, but to ensure more inclusive looks, they will allow for it. Etc.

dreday3

I hope it was clear what I was saying.

I am trying to say that in each key, when it comes to inclusion it may trump aspects of that key.

For example, a person with braids and beads in hair may not be technically matching the "show" key for the land/area, but to ensure more inclusive looks, they will allow for it. Etc.

I can't even understand the objection - would it really be that horrifying if the girl (or guy for that matter) working at Tower of Terror, in costume and perfectly playing the part, had a hairstyle that incorporated beads? Or were part of a culture where nose piercings were the norm?

It blows my mind that today, in 2021, people would still have a problem with this.

Disney Analyst

I can't even understand the objection - would it really be that horrifying if the girl (or guy for that matter) working at Tower of Terror, in costume and perfectly playing the part, had a hairstyle that incorporated beads? Or belonged to a culture where nose piercings were the norm?

I don't think it would or should at all, but some in here are trying to bring up show as if it would not be okay or fit with the show...

But I think it doesn't even matter, inclusive looks are far more important, IMO, and I hope that is what Disney is doing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom