July weather vs. central NC? Same?

6laurac

We are going on an Disney extended trip in July. I’m from NC and it’s in the 90’s here than too. Is the weather really any different in Orlando than central NC? We are all looking forward to the parks, swimming and me running early. I know it’ll be crowded which is why we are staying longer.

We have been in May, October and January but never the summer. So excited just booked today.

AFoodie

We are going on an Disney extended trip in July. I’m from NC and it’s in the 90’s here than too. Is the weather really any different in Orlando than central NC? We are all looking forward to the parks, swimming and me running early. I know it’ll be crowded which is why we are staying longer.

We have been in May, October and January but never the summer. So excited just booked today.
As an Orlando resident, I can tell you that July here is BRUTAL! Yes, the 90-degree daily weather may be similar to NC but the sun is intense, the humidity often is choking and the rainstorms are unforgiving. Us locals usually only go out in the early mornings or late nights, and stay indoors the rest of the time — unless going to a pool or beach. And even then, you need to make sure you’re staying hydrated so you don’t faint from the sun. If you are coming, just plan to take lots of breaks and drink water constantly!

Upvote 0

MickeyLuv'r

We don't think FL is all that bad in summer. I think an important aspect is how well acclimated you are to be being outdoors. People who spend all day indoors in AC, which dries the air, and set their thermostat at 70 are going to feel the heat+ humidity much more than people who are frequently outdoors, and/or set their home thermostat at 80 in the summer. If you are often outdoors in the NC afternoon, I don't think FL is all THAT different.

An important aspect is that FL is a peninsula. Mountains run along much of the Eastern USA. Whereas FL is flat and surrounded by water. So mid-day, FL has a period of intense humidity most days. But then often late afternoon there's a downpour. Also, because there are no mountains, after dark, the humidity doesn't get trapped quite the same way it does to the north of FL.

In short, I enjoy FL in summer, but touring enjoyably requires a little strategy. If you try to tough out the afternoon, I find it makes me very sleepy. Best to plan an afternoon break. And just about the time you are thinking of swimming or returning- that's often when a thunderstorm hits. A drenching rain! and lightning! After the storm passes though, - Shh- the parks are lovely after dark. (I suspect many of the folks saying the weather is miserable made the mistake of toughing out the afternoons.) Be sure to bring water-tolerant shoes! Oh, and avoid those misting fans, they just = clammy. Dry/wicking and hydrated is the way to go. As a runner, I'm sure you know electrolytes are important.

Oh- one more important detail- wearing a mask in the high heat (and rain!) does add an extra layer of challenge. Masks in in temperate weather are less of an inconvenience IMO - if WDW still requires them come summer.

Your best bet is to consult actual weather average tables to see the numbers.

Upvote 0

6laurac

Original Poster
We don't think FL is all that bad in summer. I think an important aspect is how well acclimated you are to be being outdoors. People who spend all day indoors in AC, which dries the air, and set their thermostat at 70 are going to feel the heat+ humidity much more than people who are frequently outdoors, and/or set their home thermostat at 80 in the summer. If you are often outdoors in the NC afternoon, I don't think FL is all THAT different.

An important aspect is that FL is a peninsula. Mountains run along much of the Eastern USA. Whereas FL is flat and surrounded by water. So mid-day, FL has a period of intense humidity most days. But then often late afternoon there's a downpour. Also, because there are no mountains, after dark, the humidity doesn't get trapped quite the same way it does to the north of FL.

In short, I enjoy FL in summer, but touring enjoyably requires a little strategy. If you try to tough out the afternoon, I find it makes me very sleepy. Best to plan an afternoon break. And just about the time you are thinking of swimming or returning- that's often when a thunderstorm hits. A drenching rain! and lightning! After the storm passes though, - Shh- the parks are lovely after dark. (I suspect many of the folks saying the weather is miserable made the mistake of toughing out the afternoons.) Be sure to bring water-tolerant shoes! Oh, and avoid those misting fans, they just = clammy. Dry/wicking and hydrated is the way to go. As a runner, I'm sure you know electrolytes are important.

Oh- one more important detail- wearing a mask in the high heat (and rain!) does add an extra layer of challenge. Masks in in temperate weather are less of an inconvenience IMO - if WDW still requires them come summer.

Your best bet is to consult actual weather average tables to see the numbers.
Definitely we will take breaks which is part of why we are staying so long and I will use my NUUN electrolytes for our water too. We also all use BOCO athletic masks with a filter regularly and take spares. I honestly think from being there in June a long time ago the hottest part of the parks is the parking lot. That’s the real heat test. And you’re correct about those cooling mists being gross. I now need to decide between bamboo shirts or dry max shirts to not stay cool which is impossible but wick sweat

Upvote 0

Lilofan

As an Orlando resident, I can tell you that July here is BRUTAL! Yes, the 90-degree daily weather may be similar to NC but the sun is intense, the humidity often is choking and the rainstorms are unforgiving. Us locals usually only go out in the early mornings or late nights, and stay indoors the rest of the time — unless going to a pool or beach. And even then, you need to make sure you’re staying hydrated so you don’t faint from the sun. If you are coming, just plan to take lots of breaks and drink water constantly!
I've seen people using umbrellas to shield themselves from the brutal sun rays. It is actually a good idea.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom