Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
1. Are kids spacing different than adult spacing?
2. Could they just plop a new spacing dot or line halfway between the 6ers to make them 3ers?
In theory where spacing markers are just a line on the ground they could just add new ones halfway between the existing 6 foot ones.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It would have to be everywhere or it would be the most egregious form of safety theater since this all began. I’ve been a firm supporter of reasonable covid restrictions since day 1, but if they come out and say 3 feet is safe in schools and only in schools that would be tough to understand. I think they lose a lot of the people left who are still willing to follow reasonable and rational protocols. It would be a massively huge mistake. You can’t say trust the science and then do something that has no basis in science. A virus doesn’t know whether it’s in a school, at a restaurant or at a theme park.

In this case they would be following the science since there was a recent study that looked at 3 vs 6 feet exclusively in schools.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not really. The spacing also tries to account for most people traveling in parties and conditions such as switchbacks.
True. In some cases it’s more straight forward others more difficult. Maybe they only adjust the easier ones and in some cases keep the longer distance where less practical.

I assume in a case like this it would be pretty easy to adjust:
1615924172803.jpeg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In this case they would be following the science since there was a recent study that looked at 3 vs 6 feet exclusively in schools.

That study was done on schools but there’s nothing that says that it wouldn’t apply to other settings as well. What would be the scientific basis to say someone needs to be six feet away in any other setting but it’s ok to be 3 feet apart in school? The WHO has used 3 feet from the start. I thought that was also a key component to making the change.

sullyinMT

I can see the indoor dining going either way since it is the one place in WDW (and resort pools I guess) where people are mask-free for extended periods. Depending on interpretation and analysis of the study.

This could free up a lot of space for the awful snaking queues, and that’s a good thing. Could also allow more people into shops, freeing up congested walkways. Just don’t join groups in the Skyliner yet, please.

What would tighter spacing do for parades, shows, fireworks?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That study was done on schools but there’s nothing that says that it wouldn’t apply to other settings as well. What would be the scientific basis to say someone needs to be six feet away in any other setting but it’s ok to be 3 feet apart in school? The WHO has used 3 feet from the start. I thought that was also a key component to making the change.

It's possible that there are other factors that come into play in a school that make the distance less important then it would be in other environments.

HarperRose

It was bizarre that they added the signs recently and then took them back down. The change on distancing is expected any day now from the CDC and it very well could result in a change for Disney parks too. I didn‘t expect them to change the distancing in queues since it would be a lot of work to move the markers. It will be interesting to see.
They wouldn't have to move them, they could add a marker in between the two current ones, if it gets switched to three feet instead of the current six.

HarperRose

I can see the indoor dining going either way since it is the one place in WDW (and resort pools I guess) where people are mask-free for extended periods. Depending on interpretation and analysis of the study.

This could free up a lot of space for the awful snaking queues, and that’s a good thing. Could also allow more people into shops, freeing up congested walkways. Just don’t join groups in the Skyliner yet, please.

I hope they never return to multiple parties in the Skyliner.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's possible that there are other factors that come into play in a school that make the distance less important then it would be in other environments.
People want schools open. I get that. But you can’t alter the safety protocols for that reason. If it’s safe to have 3 feet of distancing like the rest of the world then I’m ok with it. If it’s just because many schools can’t open without changing the guidlines that’s poor. My kid’s schools have been open since the fall and don’t have 6 feet of distancing due to space constraints. They haven‘t seen any issues with it, 3 feet is probably pretty safe. I’m just not buying that it’s only safe at school and nowhere else. I’d need to hear a pretty compelling argument about what‘s different.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I think it also depends on what CA does. There’s no guarantee the state follows the CDC and Disney has shown an interest in keeping the rules consistent in both parks or at least were heading that way until DLR reopening got canceled. If CA keeps distancing at 6 feet then Disney will probably keep it for both coasts.

JAKECOTCenter

Just started listening randomly to A Star is Born from Hercules and it's literally the post pandemic victory song that needs to play when this is all over

ABQ

People want schools open. I get that. But you can’t alter the safety protocols for that reason. If it’s safe to have 3 feet of distancing like the rest of the world then I’m ok with it. If it’s just because many schools can’t open without changing the guidlines that’s poor. My kid’s schools have been open since the fall and don’t have 6 feet of distancing due to space constraints. They haven‘t seen any issues with it, 3 feet is probably pretty safe. I’m just not buying that it’s only safe at school and nowhere else. I’d need to hear a pretty compelling argument about what‘s different.

Then Lancet Physical Distancing
This study was published June of last year and seems to have been ignored. It works out that 1 meter, 3.2 feet is good. I think the problem is, of course and it only makes sense, that it does say greater than 1 meter is, obviously, better. This does not focus on just schools or students.

lazyboy97o

They wouldn't have to move them, they could add a marker in between the two current ones, if it gets switched to three feet instead of the current six.
Again, markings are not an even 6’ apart. Exactly 6’ only really works for individuals, with groups you want spacing to account for additional people. As an example, providing 6’-0” spacing and 2’-0” for people would give you 8’-0” spacing but dropping to 3’-0” would reduce to 5’-0” between markings, not 4’-0”. An even 3’-0” spacing in a narrow queue that is only 36” wide is not much more square feet per person that a queue without distancing.

mmascari

It would have to be everywhere or it would be the most egregious form of safety theater since this all began. I’ve been a firm supporter of reasonable covid restrictions since day 1, but if they come out and say 3 feet is safe in schools and only in schools that would be tough to understand. I think they lose a lot of the people left who are still willing to follow reasonable and rational protocols. It would be a massively huge mistake. You can’t say trust the science and then do something that has no basis in science. A virus doesn’t know whether it’s in a school, at a restaurant or at a theme park.
I'm going to pick on you, sorry just back luck that this is an easy post to pick on.

This is why we cannot have nice things.

I posted about this earlier:
  • Masks
  • Ventilation
  • Testing
  • Vaccinating teachers/staff

Do all those things, and when ALL those things are true, you can reduce the distance to 3 feet. Add in some surveillance testing to spot any issue fast and react to complete the picture.

That should be very possible in a classroom. Which is where the impact of 6 vs 3 feet is largest.

Not so much in a cafeteria. Adjusting the guidelines wouldn't be some blanket 3 feet is good enough. If would be specific to the other conditions being there too.

The problem will be, that message and nuance get's lost. We'll see headlines for clicks like "Schools can be 3 feet but your favorite bar is still 6 feet!". They'll bury all the those other steps 5 paragraphs in that nobody ever reads.

This loss of nuance and additional conditions and information beyond the first checkbox and treating everything the same is why we cannot have nice things. :cry:

I would think maybe. If kids at schools can sit and eat lunch 3 feet apart without a mask then there’s no scientific reason you couldn’t do it at a restaurant too. Either 3 feet is safe or it’s not. Disney is following their own plan so there’s no guarantee they expand capacity in restaurants or adopt the 3 feet for distancing.
They cannot. But, lunch is only part of school not all of school. The guideline change wouldn't apply while eating lunch.

However, sitting in a classroom is the majority of the day, not eating lunch.

Combined with, a restaurant isn't doing all those other mitigation efforts. It's the total package and how all the elements interact. Ramp up the "not distancing" items and you can relax distance. Eliminate other elements, like sitting at a dining table, and you need to ramp up distance to compensate.

Want to really get them packed into the classroom. Give all the kids bio hazard suits with internal food supply and waste disposal. They could be shoulder to shoulder then with no risk. Probably overkill and cost prohibitive though.

JAKECOTCenter

The White House will distribute record 22 million(!!!) doses in the next week in a Governors conference call

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm going to pick on you, sorry just back luck that this is an easy post to pick on.

This is why we cannot have nice things.

I posted about this earlier:
  • Masks
  • Ventilation
  • Testing
  • Vaccinating teachers/staff

Do all those things, and when ALL those things are true, you can reduce the distance to 3 feet. Add in some surveillance testing to spot any issue fast and react to complete the picture.

That should be very possible in a classroom. Which is where the impact of 6 vs 3 feet is largest.

Not so much in a cafeteria. Adjusting the guidelines wouldn't be some blanket 3 feet is good enough. If would be specific to the other conditions being there too.

The problem will be, that message and nuance get's lost. We'll see headlines for clicks like "Schools can be 3 feet but your favorite bar is still 6 feet!". They'll bury all the those other steps 5 paragraphs in that nobody ever reads.

This loss of nuance and additional conditions and information beyond the first checkbox and treating everything the same is why we cannot have nice things. :cry:

They cannot. But, lunch is only part of school not all of school. The guideline change wouldn't apply while eating lunch.

However, sitting in a classroom is the majority of the day, not eating lunch.

Combined with, a restaurant isn't doing all those other mitigation efforts. It's the total package and how all the elements interact. Ramp up the "not distancing" items and you can relax distance. Eliminate other elements, like sitting at a dining table, and you need to ramp up distance to compensate.

Want to really get them packed into the classroom. Give all the kids bio hazard suits with internal food supply and waste disposal. They could be shoulder to shoulder then with no risk. Probably overkill and cost prohibitive though.
I haven’t seen the details yet on what the rules are for changing to. The stories I read said they were considering a change from 6 feet to 3 feet in order to get schools open. Do you have a link to the new CDC guidelines that say it’s only 3 feet in classrooms? A lot of schools don’t have the cafeteria space to have all kids back 5 days and maintain 6 feet. I guess maybe they just won’t be able to reopen full or they will operate outside of the recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom