News Disney MagicMobile Service coming soon beginning with Apple devices

GrumpyFan

The Ghirardelli Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop at Disney Springs is using the Apple/Samsung Wallet tech to handle their wait queue. It works pretty well, and I could see Disney utilizing some of the same features they've implemented.

DrewmanS

To work in “Express Mode” in Apple Wallet (where you don’t have to use Face ID / Touch ID first) at least, it would need to be limited to a single pass per phone, or more accurately you would need to have a default one selected.

I’d expect Disney to either mandate one pass per phone, or at least strongly recommend doing so.
Many stadiums already use similar systems. I have to save tickets to my AppleWallet beforehand. When I approach the NFC scanner, the tickets automatically appear on my screen. Tap to ”scan” ticket. If there are multiple tickets, I just swipe left and tap to scan each additional ticket. It’s like touching “Mickey to Mickey” on MagicBands, but easily have multiple tickets per phone/watch.

If Disney goes with a passive system using the “Express Transit Card” system in AppleWallet, then it would be limited to one ticket per phone. However, I believe the Express Transit card is linked to a payment/credit card. New functionality would be required to allow “passive” tickets use in AppleWallet.

dolbyman

The door unlocks work with Bluetooth.
This new system is NFC based, same as the MagicBand and Key to the World.
I expect it will work with Apple Watch same as other cards that are in the Apple Wallet.
Also if it works the same as other NFC passes (such as some university ID cards) it will work even if the phone battery dies.
I doubt a phone or watch NFC system would work without power to the system.

I certainly cannot pay with tap on my phone without it being powered up.

RAXIP

I doubt a phone or watch NFC system would work without power to the system.

I certainly cannot pay with tap on my phone without it being powered up.
1615589338127.png

GrumpyFan

Yeah, this isn’t Apple’s first time at this rodeo. They’ve long since solved most of these issues to make it a practical tool for stuff like.
Which is probably a big factor in why Disney will be rolling it out to Apple products first.

It's interesting they're JUST NOW getting here with this. They patented some of the ideas for this back in 2010.

Last edited:

joshwill

The door unlocks work with Bluetooth.
This new system is NFC based, same as the MagicBand and Key to the World.
I expect it will work with Apple Watch same as other cards that are in the Apple Wallet.
Also if it works the same as other NFC passes (such as some university ID cards) it will work even if the phone battery dies.

actually, the magic band and card are RFID

aaronml

Many stadiums already use similar systems. I have to save tickets to my AppleWallet beforehand. When I approach the NFC scanner, the tickets automatically appear on my screen. Tap to ”scan” ticket. If there are multiple tickets, I just swipe left and tap to scan each additional ticket. It’s like touching “Mickey to Mickey” on MagicBands, but easily have multiple tickets per phone/watch.

If Disney goes with a passive system using the “Express Transit Card” system in AppleWallet, then it would be limited to one ticket per phone. However, I believe the Express Transit card is linked to a payment/credit card. New functionality would be required to allow “passive” tickets use in AppleWallet.
So this is a passive system as you described, leveraging Express Mode in Apple Wallet (though it isn’t tied to a payment card — it’s the same approach that is used for University IDs in Apple Wallet).

Gringrinngghost

Right, the hardware is restricted for direct access. The only way to access it is via apps created or approved by Apple, such as Apple Wallet.
There has been two forms of this. Firstly with Apple's Passkit (runs both Apple Pay and Wallet) have been until recent two separate and walled off gardens. As I stated in 2016, "Disney could implement this, the same way they could if they used an NFC gift card, but I understand why Apple locks off the NFC for the Apple Wallet applications. The Walgreens Loyalty cards are now NFC for Android aswell, and while that still uses NFC, it's not implemented on iOS as an NFC card but as a barcode scanned card." Apple's Passkit outside of the NFC features, uses Aztec, PDF417, and QR 2D barcodes and Code 128 1D barcodes, which is how there has been boarding pass applications for quite some time with Airlines. However the NFC Functionality was not opened from the WWDC in 2019, with expanded support with to their Core NFC Functionality in 2020. Before that, it was not possible. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney would be going to the approach of the Car Keys functionality that was announced at WWDC 2020 which I am sure was also a limiting factor as if you want to develop an app that uses NFC and the Passkit framework, you must request an NFC certificate from Apple.

aaronml

The site that shall not be named posted an article falsely claiming that MagicMobile is already rolling out (and to Android devices also).

That is incorrect — what they are seeing in the MDX app is the “Magic BLE” functionality that has existed for a couple of years at this point in both the MDX and DLR apps — it powers things like notifications you’ll get from walking by a particular restaurant / area in the park. Eventually it will also work with all of the things that currently require the long-range RFID in MagicBands.

ToTBellHop

The site that shall not be named posted an article falsely claiming that MagicMobile is already rolling out (and to Android devices also).

That is incorrect — what they are seeing in the MDX app is the “Magic BLE” functionality that has existed for a couple of years at this point in both the MDX and DLR apps — it powers things like notifications you’ll get from walking by a particular restaurant / area in the park. Eventually it will also work with all of the things that currently require the long-range RFID in MagicBands.
Unscrupulous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom