News Disney MagicMobile Service coming soon beginning with Apple devices

GrumpyFan

First off, great! I'm glad to see them doing something to replace the MagicBands.
I have lots of questions though.
Assume it will do everything the MagicBands do?
Will it replace the door key feature in MDE?
Will it be more reliable than the door key feature?
Will they have to upgrade door locks and point-of-sale devices again?

DavidNoble

First off, great! I'm glad to see them doing something to replace the MagicBands.

Regarding POS, I thought they were currently set up to handle Apple Pay and Google Pay (maybe on that last one, not 100% certain)?

donsullivan

Premium Member
According to the language on blog post it sounds like no changes to the way room access is handled.

“Our existing digital room key feature will continue to be available specifically within the My Disney Experience app, which helps guests expedite their arrival by using online check-in service, going directly to their Disney Resort hotel room and using their phone to unlock their door. Disney Resort hotel guests may also still pick up a Key to the World card at their convenience by visiting the front desk.”

All the point of sale terminals (except hand-held at table service) have taken contactless payment from Apple Watch and phone for years now so none of that should need hardware changes, maybe just some software updates to link transactions to room billing. All Disney operated sites take Apple Pay and Google Pay. Some of the third parties do not take those contactless payment methods.

J4546

I was kinda hoping they would upgrade the magic bands to have gyroscopic sensors in them and then you could use them to "use the force" and interact with stuff starting in GE and then spreading all over the parks. Imagine standing in front of an xwing and being able to lift it by gesturing your hand a certain way, or while standin in line to Indiana Jones and being able to make the spikes with skulls go up and down, or make interact with something in a shop window. Or trigger sounds/voices, wind, water elements....so much you could do by adding "the force" to the disney experience. You effectivley double the size of the park by creating a digital augmented version that you could see what youve unlocked on your phone and encourage a new sense of exploration to find them all... Its like the magic wands in harry potter land, but instead using magic bands.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I was kinda hoping they would upgrade the magic bands to have gyroscopic sensors in them and then you could use them to "use the force" and interact with stuff starting in GE and then spreading all over the parks. Imagine standing in front of an xwing and being able to lift it by gesturing your hand a certain way, or while standin in line to Indiana Jones and being able to make the spikes with skulls go up and down, or make interact with something in a shop window. Or trigger sounds/voices, wind, water elements....so much you could do by adding "the force" to the disney experience. You effectivley double the size of the park by creating a digital augmented version that you could see what youve unlocked on your phone and encourage a new sense of exploration to find them all... Its like the magic wands in harry potter land, but instead using magic bands.
They tried a lot of stuff like that with the Play Disney app and from what I’ve been told the general reaction was a big ‘whatever’. I will be very surprised if we see a lot more of that stuff in the future.

donsullivan

Premium Member
yeah but the big diff is that you have to pull out your phone to do anything, having it on your wrist and automaticaly linking up makes everything so much more fluid and immersive. But yeah they prob wont do anything like it
And absolutely nothing they announced today changes any of that. It just offers more options, nothing is taken away.

GrumpyFan

I wasn't a fan of MagicBands originally, but grew to really like them. We were there recently and experienced the parks without them, just used the "card", which I found to be less magical than the band. Also, there were a couple of times when using the card that it seemed like the POS device was slower than it was with the MagicBand.

I will assume that since it's tied into the wallet, we will also be able to use smart watches as well, so that will make it feel more like the MagicBand again.

UNCgolf

It's a nice free option for people that don't want to pay for a MagicBand, but there's no way I'd use my phone over one. A MagicBand is far more convenient plus using this will just be an additional drain on your phone battery.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Nobody's Apple Watch is waterproof.
Text from Apple website regarding current models. Details vary slightly depending on the specific model you have. But you can wear them swimming as stated above.

1. Apple Watch Series 6, Apple Watch SE, and Apple Watch Series 3 have a water resistance rating of 50 meters under ISO standard 22810:2010. This means that they may be used for shallow-water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. However, they should not be used for scuba diving, waterskiing, or other activities involving high-velocity water or submersion below shallow depth.

Disstevefan1

MyMagicPlus_Full_41311.jpg
Apple loves this. How many phones will be dropped and broken at the tapstiles. I will stick with my magic band or simply my entry card.

CaptainAmerica

Well technically water resistant.

Apple Watch Series 2 and newer have a water resistance rating of 50 meters under ISO standard 22810:2010 - good enough for theme park, swimming pool and water park use.

Text from Apple website regarding current models. Details vary slightly depending on the specific model you have. But you can wear them swimming as stated above.

1. Apple Watch Series 6, Apple Watch SE, and Apple Watch Series 3 have a water resistance rating of 50 meters under ISO standard 22810:2010. This means that they may be used for shallow-water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. However, they should not be used for scuba diving, waterskiing, or other activities involving high-velocity water or submersion below shallow depth.
That chlorine and direct sunlight, surrounded by children and clumsy guests... pass.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom