News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

CaptainAmerica

I get ya- but AK & HS are both under developed (still) and could use a people eater or three. Epcot is a half day park as well- there is no where for the hoards to go. Just spend a dollar or two today to accommodate your successful business model.
Idk- just a strange way to do business after all these years of mouse trapping us into the property, then do an about face, and want people to stay offsite.
HS has plenty of people eaters when the theaters are open. I know park commandos don't like to hear it, but shows count as attractions too.

And they're spending a fortune at Epcot so I'm not sure what the complaint about lack of development there is about.

Cost and poor use of space. Disney cannot justify building attractions small enough that they add capacity but don’t induce more demand. A $100+ C Ticket makes no sense.
Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy and new films throughout the World Showcase say "nah."

UNCgolf

HS has plenty of people eaters when the theaters are open. I know park commandos don't like to hear it, but shows count as attractions too.

And they're spending a fortune at Epcot so I'm not sure what the complaint about lack of development there is about.

Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy and new films throughout the World Showcase say "nah."

They're spending a fortune at EPCOT and adding almost nothing, though. Ratatouille is an addition. Guardians of the Galaxy is a replacement for an existing ride -- a ride that needed an overhaul at the very least, but it's not like GotG is a completely new addition that adds significant capacity. I doubt its hourly capacity will be much higher than UoE if at all, although it will certainly be more popular than UoE when it opens. The Play Pavilion is the only other new attraction, and it's also a replacement for something that's just been sitting empty for years. Obviously it's preferable to leaving the building empty, but they could have done a lot better and we still don't have any idea when it's opening. All the films are replacements for existing films, which is nice, but not something that adds capacity or a huge new draw.

My guess is that once they've finished everything, they're going to look at the money they spent and really wish they'd spent it more wisely because it's going to have very little effect on EPCOT's ability to attract guests and keep them there for the entire day.

The theaters at DHS would be a better argument (and I agree with you that they are absolutely attractions) if they weren't showing the same shows they've been showing for 25+ years. Even counting them, though, the park still needs more attractions.

CaptainAmerica

They're spending a fortune at EPCOT and adding almost nothing, though. Ratatouille is an addition. Guardians of the Galaxy is a replacement for an existing ride -- a ride that needed an overhaul at the very least, but it's not like GotG is a completely new addition that adds significant capacity. I doubt its hourly capacity will be much higher than UoE if at all, although it will certainly be more popular than UoE when it opens. The Play Pavilion is the only other new attraction, and it's also a replacement for something that's just been sitting empty for years. Obviously it's preferable to leaving the building empty, but they could have done a lot better and we still don't have any idea when it's opening. All the films are replacements for existing films, which is nice, but not something that adds capacity or a huge new draw.

My guess is that once they've finished everything, they're going to look at the money they spent and really wish they'd spent it more wisely because it's going to have very little effect on EPCOT's ability to attract guests and keep them there for the entire day.
You alluded to it but it's important. Idle capacity doesn't do anyone any good. Better to have a ride that ACTUALLY handles 2,000 guests per hour than a ride that CAN handle 5,000 guests per hour but runs empty.

The "Studios shows are 25 years old" argument is odd to me. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is 40 years old and nobody complains about that. Also, don't forget that most people don't visit every year or two. If you only go once every five or ten years, it's not like you've seen the Indiana Jones show a thousand times.

UNCgolf

You alluded to it but it's important. Idle capacity doesn't do anyone any good. Better to have a ride that ACTUALLY handles 2,000 guests per hour than a ride that CAN handle 5,000 guests per hour but runs empty.

Definitely. As I said, the Play Pavilion is better than having Wonders sitting empty, but it feels short-sighted because it doesn't seem like the kind of thing that's going to work long-term. I envision them needing to figure out something new to do with it no more than 10 years after it opens, unless they regularly spend money to change/update things. Considering their failure to do so is a major part of what torpedoed EPCOT in the first place, I won't hold my breath for that.

UNCgolf

The "Studios shows are 25 years old" argument is odd to me. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is 40 years old and nobody complains about that. Also, don't forget that most people don't visit every year or two. If you only go once every five or ten years, it's not like you've seen the Indiana Jones show a thousand times.

I anticipated this response, and I honestly can't put my finger on it, but there's just something different about seeing the stage shows with live actors compared to other attractions. I have no idea why -- Carousel of Progress is essentially the same thing and I could do it repeatedly -- but with the DHS shows, seeing them a handful of times was enough.

I've seen Indy three or four times in my life, think it's a great show, and still don't care about ever seeing it again. And I don't go to Disney that regularly. I think I've been four times this century.

flynnibus

Premium Member
All these “I’ll rent a car/go off site/eat off site/spend a day or two at universal instead” isn’t that maybe what Disney wants? I saw an interview where Iger talks about how the parks were becoming to crowded for their own good and they want a sweet spot where they can balance lower attendance with increased spending. Maybe it’s a calculation. Maybe now they DO want you to go offsite a bit and lower the overall strain on the property while raising prices a little here and there to make up for it.

No

I think it's more Disney admitting that the DME no longer functions as a ball and chain for guests who can now leave property easier than ever... so why give away free transportation? I think it's more admitting the old model simply doesn't do the old objective anymore, so they went cheap and killed it.

bcoachable

No

I think it's more Disney admitting that the DME no longer functions as a ball and chain for guests who can now leave property easier than ever... so why give away free transportation? I think it's more admitting the old model simply doesn't do the old objective anymore, so they went cheap and killed it.
I can buy that

TrojanUSC

Those aren't really new attractions. The building which houses LMRA was built as an events space and the show is not designed to be permanent. The updated films around WS are also not "attractions." At some point you need to update the films once they are glaringly outdated or for other reasons.

Rich Brownn

One of the real issues is EPCOT Center was designed around rides lasting 12-15 minutes. Thats why there were so few on each side. In the old days, for example, UoE, Horizon and WoM added up to over an hour of actual ride time. Now, even with GotG, the entire ride time for that side is less than 15 minutes. So now the park seems like "less to do"

Sir_Cliff

Disney won’t lose one room from the move. It may be more hassle but enough people already manage to get to their resort without using DME that people who want to stay onsite will do so.

Whether by taxi, ride share, private car / limo service, hiring a car - people will get to WDW. It isn’t rocket science. I know it will be more hassle for many people who currently use it, my family included. I love DME, I hate this move. But wherever people stay they have to get there, WDW is no different. The family that decide to stay offsite on International Drive or in Kissimmee because of this will be replaced by another family that simply book a private transfer with two car seats.
Maybe, but at least I hope there are some people who are getting sick of being treated like fools who can forever be charged more for less.

All the supposed perks of staying at a Disney resort have now been whittled down to being closer to the parks.

Basil of Baker Street

We (disney park fans) must be so addicted-
They know we will pay premium b/c of perks like DME, to stay on property for a room that isn’t any better than a Fairfield Inn. When TWDC takes said perk away, but doesn’t lower the premium price of the room, we all say “oh, ok I’ll still pay premium AND pay for that shuttle, no big deal!”
We are a silly breed, us fans.
I feel my brand loyalty is being abused a bit...
They got us for sure.

TransportationGuy

Sorry for the double post. As of right now, Meres shuttle services from MCO do not go to and from resorts. Does anything think that will change in 2022 to accommodate the elimination of DME?
Mears has historical operated the ‘Mears Motor Shuttle’ until very recently. Right now my understanding is that the program has been temporarily suspended so that they can update dispatching systems, etc. for the expanded, MDE like, service. One of the perks of the self pay service is that they can take you

Any idea on how much it would cost for just a basic shuttle?(not luxury). They had prices for the luxury but not the regular.

At the moment, the luxury tier is what is available. A luxury sedan to the All Stars is ~$100 and seats three or a luxury van seats eight and it ~$125. These prices do include meet and greet service at baggage claim. The driver can also assist with your bags

castlecake2.0

No

it was just a thought, didn’t say it was right, but then you tell me “no” like you have the definite answer but then begin with “I think...”

James J

In the Parks
No
Now that I know that Meres will still run shuttles, the next question is whether you can get a shuttle from a Disney resort to Universal Studios. That would be epic!
As has been pointed out, Mears already do this. It is however quite a bit more expensive than getting an Uber/Lyft from my personal experience.

Jedijax719

As has been pointed out, Mears already do this. It is however quite a bit more expensive than getting an Uber/Lyft from my personal experience.
Thanks, yes I saw that after I posted (should have edited). We weren't sure if we'd be able to do both but apparently we can do both in one trip.

Do you happen to know the price? I saw that it's probably about $90 for 3 people round trip (about $30 per person round trip).

@Chomama great to know! I assume that in the next year there will be quite a few of those popping up. There will be a market for this so it is a great business opportunity for drivers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom