News Disneyland Resort To Be A Major OC Vaccination Site-OCR

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But the other states have the same issue, right?
Do they? I don't know, I don't live in other states so I honestly don't care about those other states. I reside in California, as does Disneyland. And really understanding how California is doing and when I can get my vaccination is all I care about.

This constant need that some around here have to compare with other states is a futile exercise as there will always another state that does it differently and in some eyes better.

TP2000

Do they? I don't know, I don't live in other states so I honestly don't care about those other states. I reside in California, as does Disneyland. And really understanding how California is doing and when I can get my vaccination is all I care about.

This constant need that some around here have to compare with other states is a futile exercise as there will always another state that does it differently and in some eyes better.

By "in some eyes" you must mean in national media companies who are tracking the 50 states and how they are performing in getting Covid shots into the arms of their citizens. Because it's the biggest media story of the year, if not our lifetime.

Currently, California still sucks at it. That is just the simple fact.

TP2000

But the other states have the same issue, right?

Yes. All the states were on equal footing to start with three months ago, and all the states are grapping with the same supply issues caused by the massive winter storms that Bette Midler claims are happening because Texans don't vote the way she thinks they should vote.

Some states are better at it than others. Currently, California still sucks at it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
By "in some eyes" you must mean in national media companies who are tracking the 50 states and how they are performing in getting Covid shots into the arms of their citizens. Because it's the biggest media story of the year, if not our lifetime.

Currently, California still sucks at it. That is just the simple fact.

No, by "some eyes" I meant you since you're the primary one (and in most cases only one) who tries to compare California to other states on this site. Media is going to post various different stories about the US vaccination program. You can find any news story to meet your opinion. But yet I've noticed you didn't even comment on the stories I posted about the reasons for certain metrics being low. Hmm, I wonder why?

Honestly I really don't care how California is performing against say Alaska or any other state, and I've said as such multiple times. And its because I don't live in Alaska or any other state, I reside in California as does Disneyland. I understand the complexity it takes to work with a supply chain to try and vaccinate 40M people in a very large diverse state like California. Should things be better, 100% absolutely. But I'm more understanding because I understand why things are happening. I actually investigated why things are the way they are in California. I figured out why certain metrics are low and why other metrics are high, which I've tried to explain to you. I don't go in expecting that California should have vaccinated all 40M residents in the first 30-60 days. I understand that its going to take months to get through all residents. I mean we're just barely 2 months from when both the vaccines were approved. Its a massive undertaking to get everyone in not only California but the entire nation vaccinated. I mean it took literally decades to get the polio vaccine out to the entire nation, and we're doing it in a fraction of the time with this mass vaccination. So lets have a little perspective here. I know we now live in an era of instant gratification, but the expectation on this vaccination program needs to be set appropriately. California is like a massive ship, it takes time to turn this ship, it can't be turned on a dime. So we've spend the last month doing a ramp up. Once the current supply chain problems get resolved this state is going to go into overdrive. Lets see where we are a month from now.

Back to you, you once posted that you'd be going to Vegas to get your vaccination alongside your steak meal or some such. All because you thought California wasn't going to distribute the vaccine at the same time as other states, which you were wrong about. But now your narrative has changed to California being slow. Ok, so if Nevada is doing better than California why don't you hop a flight or make that drive to Vegas get your steak dinner and get the vaccine like you claimed previously? Or how about you going to West Virginia since they are doing better? But I doubt you'll actually do either. Why? If you think California sucks so much then why don't you go get vaccinated in a different state? I mean you have the resources clearly by all your claims of dinner parties. So you can go to Arizona who is only doing slightly better than California and is run by a governor from the right, so why don't you go there and get vaccinated? Nah, I know you won't because you rather stay in California and harp on how "California sucks" because that is your narrative.

TP2000

Here's an update from the OC Vaccination Front.

I drove my Freeway Phobic Friend (say that three times fast!) back down to Soka University today so she could get her second shot. We first went to Maison Cafe nearby, as they are offering indoor dining in their dining room. So we had a nice Sunday brunch there, sitting indoors with lots of other happy brunchers like regular human beings should.

Othena had already cancelled my appointment there today because I was getting my first shot, and supply problems only allow them to administer the second Pfizer shot to people. So off we went, on an absolutely gorgeous late winter day! Sunny and 74 degrees in OC today, with skies so clear and bright you could see from the San Bernardino Mountains to Santa Catalina Island to seemingly Mexico.

The drive-thru tent in the distance is where they check your temperature, check your valid government ID that you live in Orange County, and confirm you have a valid appointment. Then you drive into the parking structure across the street from the gym for further processing, pre-screening, and validation via government ID.

IMG_20210221_145721 (2).jpg

The gym still had the big tent set up with wide switchbacks, but there was no line for anything today.

It was what we Disneyland fans call "A Complete Walk-On!" 🤣
IMG_20210221_150316 (2).jpg

Literally less than 10 minutes after we drove onto the campus of Soka University, my lady friend was sitting at a nurses station in the gym getting her shot. Her appointment was for 3:00pm, and we arrived at the campus entrance at 2:55. It's hard to see, but the screen on the wall has today's date and the time of 3:05pm, which is when she was getting her shot in the mostly empty gym.

IMG_20210221_150558 (2).jpg

A couple weeks ago Soka University added a drive-thru version of the vaccine process. I have no idea how people got assigned to the drive-thru option. Maybe thru the Othena App? Her Othena App appointment had no drive-thru option, and when I made my appointment via the Othena App I don't remember a drive-thru option. But many cars were being directed over to a satellite parking lot across from the gym where Covid shots were being given to people in their cars, as seen below. Interesting!

IMG_20210221_152225 (2).jpg

Plenty of perky volunteers directing cars and people. Everyone was very polite, with waves and happy directions given at every turn. The whole thing took just less than 30 minutes, including the 15 minute waiting period post-shot where we sat under the watchful eyes of chatty nurses.

Again, I was very impressed with the Soka University setup and how helpful and upbeat everyone was. It was a fun afternoon!

Last edited:

TP2000

Meanwhile, after I dropped my lady friend off I ran two errands that took me closer to Anaheim, so I went over and checked out the Disneyland Vaccination Supersite. It has been closed for four days now, since last Thursday, and will not reopen until Tuesday due to the massive winter storms across the middle of the country that have disrupted air travel and thus vaccine supply distribution.

That's five full days where the Disneyland Supersite will be closed, and all appointments there cancelled.

The overhead signs all around the Anaheim Resort District said this...

APPTS RESCHED SOON apparently means the Othena App will maybe tell you later this week when your appointment was rescheduled for?

IMG_20210221_165842 (2).jpg

And sure enough, a peek into the Toy Story Parking Lot showed a Vaccine Supersite complex completely closed and abandoned.

IMG_20210221_165634 (2).jpg

The Anaheim Resort District was its usual abandoned self all over the place. Here's a shot of the normally busy corner of Katella and Harbor Blvd. below, but the only person was a homeless guy camped out and staring at the ground in the bus stop.

All other businesses in the area were closed, only a few cars were driving thru, and the sidewalks were missing all pedestrians. The central area of the Anaheim Resort District around Disneyland and the Anaheim Convention Center still looks like a horror movie after the end of the world, except instead of a few zombies there's just a few homeless guys slumped under bus stops. 😱

IMG_20210221_170406 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Emmanuel

Meanwhile, after I dropped my lady friend off I ran two errands that took me closer to Anaheim, so I went over and checked out the Disneyland Vaccination Supersite. It has been closed for four days now, since last Thursday, and will not reopen until Tuesday due to the massive winter storms across the middle of the country that have disrupted air travel and thus vaccine supply distribution.

That's five full days where the Disneyland Supersite will be closed, and all appointments there cancelled.

The overhead signs all around the Anaheim Resort District said this...

APPTS RESCHED SOON apparently means the Othena App will maybe tell you later this week when your appointment was rescheduled for?

View attachment 534246

And sure enough, a peek into the Toy Story Parking Lot showed a Vaccine Supersite complex completely closed and abandoned.

View attachment 534245

The Anaheim Resort District was its usual abandoned self all over the place. Here's a shot of the normally busy corner of Katella and Harbor Blvd. below, but the only person was a homeless guy camped out and staring at the ground in the bus stop.

All other businesses in the area were closed, only a few cars were driving thru, and the sidewalks were missing all pedestrians. The central area of the Anaheim Resort District around Disneyland and the Anaheim Convention Center still looks like a horror movie after the end of the world, except instead of a few zombies there's just a few homeless guys slumped under bus stops. 😱

View attachment 534248

I know here in LA County the sites are gonna reopen Tuesday with those that had their appointments cancelled this past Friday and Saturday prioritized first. They're expected to be contacted tomorrow for their rescheduled appointments so OC likewise is doing the same with their shipments coming in.

TP2000

I know here in LA County the sites are gonna reopen Tuesday with those that had their appointments cancelled this past Friday and Saturday prioritized first. They're expected to be contacted tomorrow for their rescheduled appointments so OC likewise is doing the same with their shipments coming in.

I'm awaiting some sort of notification from my Othena App on Tuesday, even though I really don't care.

I'm going to wait until I can go to my local CVS and get the Johnson&Johnson shot and some Just For Men hair dye all in the same trip. 🧐

TP2000

Disneyland's Supersite didn't reopen today. It has now been closed for six full days, after closing last Wednesday night.

This is all still due to the record low temperatures and big winter storms that have been clobbering most of the country. The vaccine supply still didn't show up in time to reopen OC's Supersites today.

And my Othena App is still frozen and hasn't allowed me to make a new appointment for the 2/21 appointment at Soka University it cancelled on me last week. Que sera, sera! (Apologies to Doris Day)

TP2000

From the "You Aren't Going To Believe This" file.

No, wait, actually this is entirely believable.

Disneyland's Vaccination Supersite is closing again on Thursday for wind, after being open one day on Wednesday after being closed for the previous six days for lack of vaccines. And closing three other times in the last month for winds or rain.

I'm not making this up. :rolleyes:

A forecast for high winds on Thursday, Feb. 25, has prompted county officials to close for the day the mass vaccination site held in the Disneyland parking lot, Orange County Fifth District Supervisor Lisa Bartlett announced in a tweet.

The site uses large tents, which in previous high winds have been damaged. It is the first vaccination site the county opened; the two large operations opened since, at Soka University and the Anaheim Convention Center, are indoors.

This is the fourth time the Disneyland location has had to close because of winds. A delay in supply caused by the recent winter storms that snarled much of the country led to the operation being closed over the weekend. The missing shipments were received Tuesday and the county’s vaccination campaign is catching up on rescheduled appointments.

The Disneyland site is expected to reopen on Friday, as long as the winds subside, Bartlett said.

TP2000

Think I read that Sunday too is now on the chopping block for wind but they will be relocated to the convention centers

Yup, it's Sunday (tomorrow) that the Disneyland site will close again because of "wind".

"With high winds in the forecast, the COVID-19 mass vaccination site in the Disneyland parking lot will be closed temporarily on Sunday, Feb. 28.

This is the fifth time the tented Disneyland spot has had to shut down because of wind. The last time was Thursday."

So it's been open for six weeks, but has been closed for a total of 12 days spread over five different closures in those six weeks.

Luckily, the other OC Supersites now up and running are all completely indoors in permanent facilities that don't close because of wind or rain. Or heat, later this summer. :rolleyes:

Darkbeer1

>>A county-run mass coronavirus vaccination site at Disneyland will be closed Wednesday, March 3, so staff can transform part of the tented outdoor site into a drive-thru for patients with disabilities. It is set to open the drive-thru lanes Monday.

The Disneyland Super POD (point of dispensing), using one of the theme park’s parking lots, will be reconfigured to offer in-car vaccinations, which are set to begin next week, the OC Health Care Agency announced in a tweet Monday evening.

The vaccination center will be set up to serve eligible people with disabilities who have placards or license plates to show they are disabled, officials said. Patients also must have appointments.

The tweet gave an ambiguous date for the closure, but county spokeswoman Molly Nichelson confirmed that the Disneyland site would close Wednesday.<<

TP2000

>>A county-run mass coronavirus vaccination site at Disneyland will be closed Wednesday, March 3, so staff can transform part of the tented outdoor site into a drive-thru for patients with disabilities. It is set to open the drive-thru lanes Monday.

The Disneyland Super POD (point of dispensing), using one of the theme park’s parking lots, will be reconfigured to offer in-car vaccinations, which are set to begin next week, the OC Health Care Agency announced in a tweet Monday evening.

The vaccination center will be set up to serve eligible people with disabilities who have placards or license plates to show they are disabled, officials said. Patients also must have appointments.

The tweet gave an ambiguous date for the closure, but county spokeswoman Molly Nichelson confirmed that the Disneyland site would close Wednesday.<<

Ah, now it makes sense!

When I took my Freeway Phobic Friend down to Soka University two weekends ago they had a drive-thru operation going. But we were pre-screened on Woods Canyon Drive, and then on campus while still in my car we were temp-checked and address validated and government ID'ed all without any mention of a drive-thru option. Instead we were instructed to park in a parking structure and walk over to the gym. And that must be because I was driving and I have no wheelchair placard and no disability noted on my official government ID.

Of course, that still leaves this Disneyland outdoor location looking weaker and weaker by the day for OC.

There were some folks here a month ago who claimed it had to be this way, outdoors, because that was the only safe way to administer Covid vaccines to people. That would be a complete joke to anyone living in 47 out of the 50 states in January or February, but some of the folks here can be terribly provincial and stuck in their ways. I doubt they've tried to cross the street in Boston in February, let alone stand in an outdoor queue for 30 minutes waiting for a shot administered outdoors. :rolleyes:

Darkbeer1

>>About a month after adding a drive-through lane to its walk-up COVID-19 vaccination center in Aliso Viejo, the Orange County Health Care Agency this week debuted a reconfigured Disneyland site that exclusively gives people shots in their cars.<<

TP2000

From the California, Open Your Golden Gate! File comes this unfortunate news.... :cool:

ANAHEIM, Calif. — The Orange County Health Care Agency is closing the mass vaccination drive-thru site at Disneyland due to wind.

The health care agency sent a tweet at 9:50 a.m. on Wednesday notifying the public of the closure.

This is the sixth or seventh time in the last two months that the Disneyland Vaccine Supersite has been closed due to inclement weather. Sometimes the closures last several days.

From the weather station a few blocks south of the Toy Story Parking Lot, these are the current weather conditions at 2:45pm:

Clear Skies - 86 degrees, RealFeel temperature of 82 degrees
7% Humidity
(You read that right, Floridians! Seven percent humidity.)
Winds from ENE at 2mph with last gust at 4mph

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom