Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

seabreezept813

That's why I can't understand all the articles about teachers not wanting to go back in parts of the country. Our teachers were as eager to reopen as the parents and kids.
I teach hs in MA and we want back and are sick of anything remote, we just want the vaccine and it not to become a drop all restrictions and don’t vaccinate situation. My friend who teaches in CT (public school) has all students back and says it’s basically back to normal.

DisneyCane

In our state our trigger is getting over 50% of the previous tier their first shot, which is why we are moving on.

J&J should really go to rural areas and/or transient communities unlikely to return for dose 2 first. Legal minefield aside, most of those J&J shot should go to the Dept of Corrections first.
Why would they trigger the next tier after only 50% of the previous tier has had the first shot? The current tier is supposed to be the priority group. If you start letting a lower tier compete for the same limited doses, the higher tier is no longer getting priority. I don't think the next tier should be opened until appointments aren't fully booked within an hour or two of when they are opened up.

JoeCamel

Why would they trigger the next tier after only 50% of the previous tier has had the first shot? The current tier is supposed to be the priority group. If you start letting a lower tier compete for the same limited doses, the higher tier is no longer getting priority. I don't think the next tier should be opened until appointments aren't fully booked within an hour or two of when they are opened up.
Or that the Hillsborough county vac site does not have a 3 hour wait of over 65 with appointments?
Ron did say "sometime in March" so it might work out but if they rush it the poor situation will become worse.

Touchdown

They don’t ever want to get to a point where vaccine appointments are going unfilled, also our allotment is increasing weekly. 65 and up have had 1.5 months to get scheduled, if they haven’t yet they can still book appointments in later phases. Remember, Goof has been saying 20% aren’t ever getting the vaccine, and another 10-20% are hesitant. That leaves 60% who want it now, 60-50 is 10% a small enough number to move on.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
J&J might be the vaccine to really jumpstart our mediocre rollout.
It will jump start our already pretty darn good vaccine rollout ;)

I know I’m a vaccine apologist or is it big pharma apologist? Either way I’m still amazed that we have so many people done already and the potential to have enough doses for everyone who wants one within 3 or 4 months from now.

correcaminos

There are 3M+ teachers and we are getting close to 4M JnJ doses once approved. If I were on Biden’s task force I would recommend they do just that across the country. Send JnJ doses to each state to vaccinate all of the teachers. One shot and done. It would be a massively popular PR move that would also get a big group of essential workers done. Some states already started teachers and some teachers qualified as 65+ or health conditions too. They would probably only need about half the JnJ doses. The rest could go to other similar professions or even inner cities where they are desperately needed.
A lot of states have already. I just saw a teacher friend post something that like 31 states, PR, and DC have started. So less needed likely than we think. That's only K-12 though.

Since so many have started, we could offer to other essentials as well. Here only medical workers got it. Some front line but not all. Another thought is to do those at risk in certain communities. Those who fear medicine as well might appreciate a more 'average' type of vaccine and one shot. Just thinking out loud.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A lot of states have already. I just saw a teacher friend post something that like 31 states, PR, and DC have started. So less needed likely than we think. That's only K-12 though.

Since so many have started, we could offer to other essentials as well. Here only medical workers got it. Some front line but not all. Another thought is to do those at risk in certain communities. Those who fear medicine as well might appreciate a more 'average' type of vaccine and one shot. Just thinking out loud.
I agree. The 31 states is a bit misleading though as PA is listed on there but only because teachers with medical conditions get to go now with anyone else with a medical condition. Our young and otherwise healthy teachers still didn’t go yet, although I did see Philadelphia started mass vaccinations for some teachers who are already back in the classroom.

I agree there are a ton of possibilities with those shots. I only wish it was 20 or 50M doses ready to ship, but I really can’t complain since we have 3 highly effective vaccines rolling out by the start of March and a 4th likely coming in the not too distant future. If you went back and posted that prediction last summer or even as recent as October I think most people would have called you wildly over optimistic. If you also told them several of the vaccines would also be 95% effective they would have called you stone cold crazy.

seabreezept813

But will people want to hold out for the other vaccines? I guess it won’t matter as long as they are offered one.. but us teachers already feel like second class citizens. I feel like I’ve waited this long, I kind of want the more successful one.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
1.8M doses distributed today. Ramping back up as the snow and ice starts to melt. Next few weeks should be a big uptick as the initial 4M doses of JnJ roll out and Pfizer and Moderna continue to ramp up production. During this period of bad weather we have also fallen off to 74.5% of doses used. That number was higher. We have a larger excess capacity waiting for use now.

We have 91.7M doses delivered so far with 4 days left in Feb so a good chance we hit 100M by end of Feb. It’s not looking great for hitting 220M doses delivered by March 31, but 200M is not out of the realm of possible. Both Pfizer and Moderna say they are ramping up to a level where they can deliver 50M doses a month. If that happens for March we will hit 200M delivered and then 100M in April and 100M in May to get to 400M delivered by May 31. Still a good shot of hitting it, but we need to see the full ramp up. Since it takes weeks to manufacture the doses these companies should know already if they will ramp up in March which they both confirmed again this week that they will.

DisneyCane

They don’t ever want to get to a point where vaccine appointments are going unfilled, also our allotment is increasing weekly. 65 and up have had 1.5 months to get scheduled, if they haven’t yet they can still book appointments in later phases. Remember, Goof has been saying 20% aren’t ever getting the vaccine, and another 10-20% are hesitant. That leaves 60% who want it now, 60-50 is 10% a small enough number to move on.
Certainly you don't want appointments going unfilled. At least in FL, it doesn't matter that 65 and up have had 1.5 months to get scheduled. Many still can't get an appointment and they keep trying to.

I don't mean to wait until appointments go unfilled. The appointments open up at least a day in advance. Currently they fill as quickly as the booking systems can handle it. I would go to the next tier when you get to a point where when the appointments open up for booking, there are still some available a couple of hours later. That would indicate the demand for the current tier at the present time has been fulfilled.

Those poll numbers @GoofGoof has quoted are of the overall population. I'd imagine that if you narrowed down specifically to 65 and over, the percentage who want it would be higher because they are much more at risk.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But will people want to hold out for the other vaccines? I guess it won’t matter as long as they are offered one.. but us teachers already feel like second class citizens. I feel like I’ve waited this long, I kind of want the more successful one.
I think that plan would largely be to appease the teacher unions in certain states that are preventing school to return until their teachers are vaccinated. If they got JnJ next week schools could reopen by the end of March or after Spring Break. If individual teachers decided to skip the JnJ vaccine and wait for a different brand that would be their right to do, but the unions could no longer hold up school under the condition that their members were not offered a vaccine yet. My kid‘s schools have been back for months now and their teachers still aren’t eligible in PA without a medical condition or 65+. I would guess most would be happy to get a one and done shot that they don’t even need to leave school for. Same would probably go for factory workers or grocery store clerks or FedEx drivers.

Touchdown

Certainly you don't want appointments going unfilled. At least in FL, it doesn't matter that 65 and up have had 1.5 months to get scheduled. Many still can't get an appointment and they keep trying to.

I don't mean to wait until appointments go unfilled. The appointments open up at least a day in advance. Currently they fill as quickly as the booking systems can handle it. I would go to the next tier when you get to a point where when the appointments open up for booking, there are still some available a couple of hours later. That would indicate the demand for the current tier at the present time has been fulfilled.

Those poll numbers @GoofGoof has quoted are of the overall population. I'd imagine that if you narrowed down specifically to 65 and over, the percentage who want it would be higher because they are much more at risk.
Again in my state, 50% will have a shot by tomorrow, and we book a week-two weeks out. I’m quite happy with the rate we are going.
E6C4E276-9177-4BFC-B40F-BBCF4FE9FF75.jpeg

correcaminos

I've said not popular things about this, and I'll repeat. My husband is an essential worker that often gets shafted. He got a letter proving he was essential if out state ever cared that he would use. He'd take the J&J shot without a blink of an eye. The mentality that people want a 'better shot' is not a good idea. It doesn't help us get to the end goal. While I appreciate what teachers do so much, all being vaccinated with a good shot - and the J&J shot is an excellent shot, don't even think it is lesser - is important for everyone, not yourself. If you hold out, you are not helping the world. You actually aren't helping yourself either in the end.

Again my husband would have taken the J&J shot in a heartbeat. For himself, for our family, and for the good of all. We need to understand that J&J is excellent!
I agree. The 31 states is a bit misleading though as PA is listed on there but only because teachers with medical conditions get to go now with anyone else with a medical condition. Our young and otherwise healthy teachers still didn’t go yet, although I did see Philadelphia started mass vaccinations for some teachers who are already back in the classroom.

I agree there are a ton of possibilities with those shots. I only wish it was 20 or 50M doses ready to ship, but I really can’t complain since we have 3 highly effective vaccines rolling out by the start of March and a 4th likely coming in the not too distant future. If you went back and posted that prediction last summer or even as recent as October I think most people would have called you wildly over optimistic. If you also told them several of the vaccines would also be 95% effective they would have called you stone cold crazy.
I had no idea about PA. Oddly none of my friends moved there. Another friend had posted it to promote the idea that all teachers should be vaccinated just before they gave the go for their teachers.

I am thrilled we have 3 excellent vaccines coming. I read a little on the number my state was slated to get and glad for it. The more I did with the trial, the more optimistic I got. I was just worried about the efficacy. The 95% blew me away totally. I will totally admit that! I am a little saddened about what happened with AZ/Oxford though. I wouldn't have predicted that.

DisneyCane

1.8M doses distributed today. Ramping back up as the snow and ice starts to melt. Next few weeks should be a big uptick as the initial 4M doses of JnJ roll out and Pfizer and Moderna continue to ramp up production. During this period of bad weather we have also fallen off to 74.5% of doses used. That number was higher. We have a larger excess capacity waiting for use now.

We have 91.7M doses delivered so far with 4 days left in Feb so a good chance we hit 100M by end of Feb. It’s not looking great for hitting 220M doses delivered by March 31, but 200M is not out of the realm of possible. Both Pfizer and Moderna say they are ramping up to a level where they can deliver 50M doses a month. If that happens for March we will hit 200M delivered and then 100M in April and 100M in May to get to 400M delivered by May 31. Still a good shot of hitting it, but we need to see the full ramp up. Since it takes weeks to manufacture the doses these companies should know already if they will ramp up in March which they both confirmed again this week that they will.

Florida has received 6,013,185 doses (about 60% of what is required if all 65+ want it plus the others who were in the first group) and according to the CDC has administered 4,605,201 doses so far. While that calculates to 76.6%, if you subtract you will find that 1,407,984 doses are not used yet.

If you take the total number of people getting at least one shot (2,927,858) and subtract the number that have had both shots (1,567,301) you get 1,360,557. Especially considering the reporting lag on shots given, it's pretty clear that the unused doses are reserved for second shots (1,407,984 unused and 1,360,557 needing second shot).

hopemax

Our governor has also stated that with the early groups, they were seeing that once they hit 50% of a group, that's the point when demand started dropping off at a steeper rate, presumably running into the hesitancy/outreach issues. They want to keep things set at full-throttle, so they would open things up to the top-most part of the next group. So for us, we are finishing up 1B2 and they started scheduling teachers from 1B3, before opening to all of 1B3. They previously opened it up to age 70+ earlier and before they completely finished with front-line healthcare. I did see that we are at 66.5% toward the 70% goal of age 70+ by the end of February, with a few days to go, so I expect that we'll start hearing about opening all of 1B3. I am glad to see it's that high, because I have been worried about opening too fast would leave people behind, and why I was happy we were sticking to 70+ and not opening it up to 65+ like other states.

I wish there was a "fastpass" style system, where, say you are trying to find a spot for your 80+ year old family member and you could call and the state would help you directly get a time, instead of having to fight with hospital and grocery store websites and the masses trained on using Disney's reservation systems or buying concert tickets. Right now that role is being done more by the media and random people on Twitter. But that only works if someone has Twitter and sees the post saying, "If you know an elderly person who can't find an appointment, let us know." The state does have a hotline to call, but I don't know how often that ends up with an appointment scheduled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom