Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

Speaking of children’s trials. This article on a Moderna trial at MUSC in South Carolina says Theu are enrolling kids today and expect to start the first vaccinations in mid-March. The trial is going to include 6,500 kids aged 6 months to 12 at 100 sites worldwide. The first phase will include about 10% of kids and they will get different sized doses to determine the correct dose size. In that part of the trial all participants will get the vaccine. Once dose size is established they will then do a 3 to 1 ration with 3 kids vaccinated for every one in the placebo group. So real progress towards having all kids eligible before 2022 and maybe even by the start of the next school year. Ironically the article talks about Fauici saying that children as young as 1st graders may be able to get the vaccine as early as September for the start of the school year.

https://www.live5news.com/2021/02/24/musc-selected-participate-moderna-vaccine-trial-kids/
excellent news
Being conservative is fine if the messaging is consistent. It hasn’t been. But, communication is improving, in general—especially with states.
This has been a peeve of mine all along. Inconsistent messages never help. I get annoyed with my local state personally with the way it's handled since someone stepped down last year.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yes, seeing similar trends in other states, and in some European countries as well. Definitely something I’m keeping an eye on. Hope the vaccine rollout can pick up steam.

Yeah, here is the UK, still declining, but the decline has slowed.

1614277417220.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Y'all know there's a no-politics vaccine thread where we're looking at vaccine data? If one can control their pro/anti Fauci stance and avoid the hysteria of declaring when they'll stop wearing masks, it's pretty informative...

Here is my spreadsheet of vaccine dose delivery. It takes time, tho, for scheduling and jabbing and a second shot for the 2-dose vaccines and immunity to develop. Right now, the U.S. is utilizing just 80% of doses shipped. And, this is assuming Astrazeneca doesn't get approval. In millions...

View attachment 534962

A more rosy picture is if Novavax gets approved....

View attachment 534961

ToTBellHop

Y'all know there's a no-politics vaccine thread where we're looking at vaccine data? If one can control their pro/anti Fauci stance and avoid the hysteria of declaring when they'll stop wearing masks, it's pretty informative...
Nah just post the same information in both places. Here, we sprinkle a spice mix of politics and anecdotal conjecture on top to improve flavor. You guys have the Walter Cronkite thread while we have the Rachel Maddow thread. Tucker Carlson is in the Disneyland forum in...well, every thread.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

The WH underselling the timelines, or saying kids can't hug grandma even if 80%+ of the room is vaccinated during the family July 4 bbq, people will throw in the towel and not bother being vaccinated. They need to be in the business of selling hope, while being honest.
Well... should kids hug grandma if 80% of the room is vaccinated?

If the honest answer is no, then they gave the honest answer.

sullyinMT

Well... should kids hug grandma if 80% of the room is vaccinated?

If the honest answer is no, then they gave the honest answer.
because that particular host was asking a conjecture question, perhaps the better answer is deflective while still being honest.
Of course being an armchair guest is easier, but perhaps something like, “We’re gathering data on transmissibility as we speak. Let’s wait a month or so and gather more conclusive data. Maybe we have ‘normal-ish’ small family gatherings sometime this summer. But, the conservative play right now says ...”

I said earlier today that his advice is sound from a purely epidemiological standpoint. But there is nuance in human behavior that is completely ignored, and the message is so strict and in tunnel vision mode that people end up tuning out.

Turtlekrawl

Don’t forget there may be a “blip” in National numbers this week because the south did virtually no testing last week (especially Texas) so like a holiday there may be a false rise/fall due to that as numbers get reported.
Yes, but that wouldn’t explain seeing similar trends in Midwest states like IL, MI.

Im probably overreacting. An extra drink tonight will cure my pessimism.

Incomudro

Fauci is much more of a politician and bureaucrat than a scientist at this point. He is easily the most duplicitous scientist I have ever heard speak. Not saying he is a blowhard, but at this point to call him anything other than a pundit would be a gross exaggeration of his actual position.
When science or scientists get tied to politicians or politics, the scientific method gets compromised.

correcaminos

Yes, but that wouldn’t explain seeing similar trends in Midwest states like IL, MI.

Im probably overreacting. An extra drink tonight will cure my pessimism.
We had a ton of snow and ice last week too. Lots of things were canceled and people just stayed home. I have pictures from family in IL where the snow was higher than they were tall. My dad's 2nd covid shot was canceled last week because of it too and rescheduled for another snowy day (but he made it fine). More of an FYI

Kevin_W

The positivity rate is still dropping. We did over 87.000 tests yesterday.

what more do people want?

That's easy. We want the rate to drop to zero! :)

Positivity still dropping is a good thing. And as the original poster said (and the NYT article the data was from): hopefully this is temporary and things continue to drop. But twice now we've seen the drop plateau...then turn into an increase. Hoping that doesn't happen this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom