The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Season 7: Fantasmic Journeys [CONCLUDED!]

Disney Dad 3000

Disney Dad Reviews
(sorry no cool reviews banner)
Before diving into the reviews, let me just congratulate each of the teams on their work this stanza. This was the 2nd shortest stanza of the season so far, but with the most actual work involved. Each of the 3 Project Managers did a fine job leading their teams, being engaged, and keeping everyone else going as well. A great job by all of you!

Team Space.jpg

The Marvelous Fun Arcade
  • Fun name for your arcade, and Marvel a good choice for an overall theme​
  • Main Page
  • Just a couple of minor quibbles with the main page to help you – I would include a banner or something of the name of your arcade instead of the stanza name, and for viewing using a solid continuous banner does make it a little easier for reading​
  • Right off I am intrigued by the use of Arcade and using the arcade itself as his playground. A nice idea to be sure. While Arcade can tend to be a bit non-family friendly with his Murderworld in the comics, most guests are not going to know this history, and allows you to present him and his Expo as you desire which you have done a solid job.​
  • I am immediately curious though where this arcade is going (we will confirm later), but assume IMG with the Marvel tie in​
  • The map and artwork are both great additions here​
  • Agron the Aardvark – I am assuming this is a short character show? Just would have liked a bit more detail here, but an interesting little extra to include in the arcade, and the artwork and animatronic video here are great​
  • Pizza/Treasure store – both solid additions to the arcade and standard. I will have a Thing Pepperoni​
  • Avengers Arcade Attack – While not your main pinball table, still a pinball type experience which is a good idea, especially consider the use of Arcade. Very cool work with the trailer here. I do see the inclusion of Murderworld after all. I do not think you would necessarily need to change the idea, but I would normally avoid use of the word itself for theme park purposes. The attraction itself does sound pretty exhilarating.​
  • Thanos Gauntlet Assembly – First off, very cool build here. Visually a standout performance (even down to the outlet), and the leveling up associated with assembling the stones makes sense for a pinball machine. Never would have thought of using the ball’s eye view for your video. That was an ingenious idea! I will defer to @D Hulk regarding the actual game play, but was a little confusing to me with all those balls needed, and do they stay on the field of play in the gauntlet, etc. Overall, a nice idea, just not 100% sure on the execution of the machine itself.​
  • Guardians of the Galaxy – solid idea for a laser tag attraction, though I initially was unsure this was laser tag until later in the write up. Kudos on the commentary writeup for in-game. Plenty of detail. Would have maybe like to see some visuals or a layout for the arena but overall solid work here. Rocket makes for a great part of a laser tag type attraction.​
  • Iron Man Go Karts – no detail here?​
  • Overall, a nice job Team Space. As indicated, you all worked well together this round and provided some good ideas. For organization purposes, I would have maybe led with the Gauntlet Assembly or Arcade Attack as the headliner for the arcade instead of Argon. A sentence here or there in your introductory pieces would go a long way in setting the stage for either the arcade or attraction with a bit more detail on the standard arcade fare as well. Also, I do see this is in IMG Worlds of Adventure, but was a location picked? That would be another inclusion to help sell the idea of how the arcade fits with the park. Again, solid teamwork this week and you all provided numerous extras and unique parts to your pitch, just needed some finer details to really make the project shine.​

Team Reality.gif

DC Funverse

• DC – Nice in that provides an interesting contrast to Team Space, but also gets us to another local park. Not to mention all the good DC source material (as with Marvel) for an arcade experience.​
  • love the use of Google Doc here. It makes it so easy to flow from beginning to end and is a perfect fit for this type of pitch​
  • I understand why this is not built in the park due to the size but would love to have found someway to include in in the indoor park experience if possible. Great map/layout and the google doc here works nicely to flow straight through the arcade.​
  • The Game Floor
  • The level of detail here is simply fantastic. While it seems like you have gone overboard, the reality is you haven’t as an arcade would include a multitude of machines and games. You have done a great job highlighting the unique ones with descriptions beyond the other standard arcade fare.​
  • Wonder Twins is giving me the feels, even if dance off is not my thing, but a plausible and funny use of these characters​
  • All the games here are well done, with Aquaman wave ball really standing out as a skeeball fan. Visually a fun representation of the game​
  • Shazam’s Arcade – here is our classic games, and many from Disney’s Digital Kingdom no less​
  • I knew this ahead of time, but you made your own freaking games. You made your own freaking games. You made your own freaking games. That is next level awesomeness.​
  • Teen Titan’s Slam – So much stinking detail in this game. Wow. As a huge fan of the X-men cabinet you are basing it off, I know I would love this game. I think game developers miss out on so much with IP’s like this. Give us mass multiplayer co-op games where we can use all these characters together.​
  • Laser Tag – short and sweet but the visuals here go a long way helping sell the idea​
  • Mini-golf – Love the idea of a villain’s mini golf and the inclusion of some really off the wall DC villains. There are some doozies at DC, and you have got some good ones here. Nice job on this​
  • Go-karts – perfect amount of detail here but the kart examples and track layout are what sells it.​
  • Joker’s Pinball Madhouse
  • Another villain inspired pinball machine which is to me, awesome to see​
  • The set up and detail for the machine is great with the villains and cabinet info​
  • With the set up and all that is going into the machine and layout, would this be a premium game experience as opposed to a standard machine? I may have missed seeing that detail but that is something I would like to know about. This seems like something you would want a sizeable upcharge to play.​
  • Again, details, details, details with all the ambiance and tech info provided. Fantastic​
  • Game play – this truly seems like something that would draw a crowd just to watch people play it. You have provided essentially an attraction write up building into the game play of a pinball machine. All the villains you have used here are of course iconic with Batman. Copperhead on the only interesting one to me in lieu of Poison Ivy, but I think it is cool you went a different direction there. Overall, the machine design and write up are really well done.​
  • Dining
  • Full menus around with plenty of typical arcade fare. Love the comic book font used in Comic Cafeteria. Room design as well is a standout inclusion in the project.​
  • Shops/Restrooms/Trashcans – I think it is safe to say you all left no stone unturned, including having the restroom talk to me while I finish up. Hopefully, they will call out people that do not wash their hands before leaving​
  • Team Reality managed to get every single detail in this arcade fleshed out. I am trying to think of something you might not have covered, but you have done a fantastic job of covering everything from the headliner games down to trash cans and everything in between. This challenge involved producing a pinball machine and arcade and you did a really great job on both accounts. Only minor nitpick is the location of the arcade, but great pitch here.​

Team Time.png

HB Ultimate Arcade

• Ok, this incessant sucking up to the judges is getting old (not really). You would not have known this, but Hanna Barbera is an all-timer for me. A fantastic idea for your arcade and your brief intro does a nice job selling the choice.​
  • Really nice job on the map and love how you have woven it into Warner Bros World
  • The website itself is easily viewable and well put together​
  • Again, love the design work (inside and out) and how you thought about its inclusion in the park. Exterior entry artwork and the arcade pricing are great touches as well.​
  • Jetson’s Future Funfair
  • The Orbit City look is an inspired design element for the arcade portion​
  • All the classic games are here, and you have done a nice job including HB rethemes of other standard arcade fare​
  • Future Flyers seems like a great VR experience. Would have loved to see a little more about this but as a Jetson’s fan I can picture it easily​
  • The Hooded Claw machine is a small bit of genius wordplay​
  • Nice mention of the extra pinball machines to be included in the arcade​
  • Scooby Doo Pinball
  • You are really getting me with the IP usage here. I will be honest I spent probably 10-15 minutes searching for a Scooby Doo pinball machine figuring there had to be something out there that I could use as a reference. I was amazed I could not find anything beyond a simple electronic tabletop version and see @D Hulk has confirmed there is not one. Simply mind blowing to me. Scooby Doo is an all time great kids cartoon. A great choice here​
  • Playfield – love the custom visuals showing the backglass and playfield​
  • Each of the zones on the playfield are easily tied to Scooby and seem to flow well with the layout artwork you have provided​
  • With my limited pinball knowledge, this seems like a classic layout, but set up and geared to flow with the Scooby story​
  • Rule Book – this is a great way to explain the game and tips for gameplay. The game modes chosen are some of the more known with the show, so you have done a nice job theme wise here.​
  • Flintstones bowling – why has this not been done? To me a next level bowling experience without all the crazy light shows, etc. that bowling alleys do today.​
  • Dick Dastardly – you put a coaster in here?? Great use of the IP and I love the idea of seeing these contraptions going around the arcade. Does wonders for the kinetics in the space.​
  • Wacky Accelerated Racing – Love the idea here styling after Mario Kart. Honestly, I think this would be better than Mario Kart if it ever got produced if nothing else for the wacky vehicle designs. The mixture between physical and arcade effects would be a ton of fun. Extra custom map design is welcome​
  • Secret Squirrel Escape Room – unexpected inclusion but a nice extra here. Again, love all the visuals including the custom image​
  • Space Ghost Laser Tag – 3 different varieties of laser tag from the teams and this one is also solid. Was a little unsure if guests are actually wearing full body suits or is that just the normal vests, etc. Space Ghost makes for good pre/post interaction for the experience. Would have liked to see a layout of some sorts, but overall, solid.​
  • Dining – short and sweet here, but theming is on brand with the arcade​
  • Beginning to end all manner of detail in Team Time's approach. Both the pinball machine and arcade were well thought and described with only minor nitpicks here or there. Plenty of thought was put into how this fit the park which I appreciate and the few pieces of artwork were a nice touch. Great use of the HB IP in all areas.​

Last edited:

tcool123

• The Game Floor
  • The level of detail here is simply fantastic. While it seems like you have gone overboard, the reality is you haven’t as an arcade would include a multitude of machines and games. You have done a great job highlighting the unique ones with descriptions beyond the other standard arcade fare.​
  • Wonder Twins is giving me the feels, even if dance off is not my thing, but a plausible and funny use of these characters​
  • All the games here are well done, with Aquaman wave ball really standing out as a skeeball fan. Visually a fun representation of the game​
Thanks! :D

I based the game floor lineup based off what I could find in my local Dave & Busters. I grew up with that mega arcade experience, and I'm sure it came through with the variety and assortment of games.

Wonder Twins are really fun characters I remember seeing them on Boomerang when I was young, and of course at Superman's dance party in the LEGO Batman Movie. Glad you enjoyed the Aquaman skeeball! I had fun writing all these up :D

With the set up and all that is going into the machine and layout, would this be a premium game experience as opposed to a standard machine? I may have missed seeing that detail but that is something I would like to know about. This seems like something you would want a sizeable upcharge to play.
It's an arcade nothing is free after all ;)

@Tegan pilots a chicken mentioned including pricing for the project, but given we are unfamiliar with pricing schemes in the UAE we felt it best to omit information regarding pricing.

With that said based off, say Dave & Busters, it would cost a lot of credits to play Joker's Pinball Machine. Like you said though it would be a spectacle to watch and experience. With all the music, effects, midway barker, villainous antics it would definitely be a star on the game floor

Copperhead on the only interesting one to me in lieu of Poison Ivy, but I think it is cool you went a different direction there.
I just wanted a fifth villain that is less commonly seen to get a spotlight in the machine. Initially I had thought of utilizing the Scarecrow, but opted out of it.

I’ve got a half eaten bagel and some loose assorted change would that work?
I take this back, I just have loose assorted change now. It was an everything bagel, I couldn't resist 😅

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Disney Dad Reviews
(sorry no cool reviews banner)
Before diving into the reviews, let me just congratulate each of the teams on their work this stanza. This was the 2nd shortest stanza of the season so far, but with the most actual work involved. Each of the 3 Project Managers did a fine job leading their teams, being engaged, and keeping everyone else going as well. A great job by all of you!

View attachment 534949

The Marvelous Fun Arcade
  • Fun name for your arcade, and Marvel a good choice for an overall theme​
  • Main Page
  • Just a couple of minor quibbles with the main page to help you – I would include a banner or something of the name of your arcade instead of the stanza name, and for viewing using a solid continuous banner does make it a little easier for reading​
  • Right off I am intrigued by the use of Arcade and using the arcade itself as his playground. A nice idea to be sure. While Arcade can tend to be a bit non-family friendly with his Murderworld in the comics, most guests are not going to know this history, and allows you to present him and his Expo as you desire which you have done a solid job.​
  • I am immediately curious though where this arcade is going (we will confirm later), but assume IMG with the Marvel tie in​
  • The map and artwork are both great additions here​
  • Agron the Aardvark – I am assuming this is a short character show? Just would have liked a bit more detail here, but an interesting little extra to include in the arcade, and the artwork and animatronic video here are great​
  • Pizza/Treasure store – both solid additions to the arcade and standard. I will have a Thing Pepperoni​
  • Avengers Arcade Attack – While not your main pinball table, still a pinball type experience which is a good idea, especially consider the use of Arcade. Very cool work with the trailer here. I do see the inclusion of Murderworld after all. I do not think you would necessarily need to change the idea, but I would normally avoid use of the word itself for theme park purposes. The attraction itself does sound pretty exhilarating.​
  • Thanos Gauntlet Assembly – First off, very cool build here. Visually a standout performance (even down to the outlet), and the leveling up associated with assembling the stones makes sense for a pinball machine. Never would have thought of using the ball’s eye view for your video. That was an ingenious idea! I will defer to @D Hulk regarding the actual game play, but was a little confusing to me with all those balls needed, and do they stay on the field of play in the gauntlet, etc. Overall, a nice idea, just not 100% sure on the execution of the machine itself.​
  • Guardians of the Galaxy – solid idea for a laser tag attraction, though I initially was unsure this was laser tag until later in the write up. Kudos on the commentary writeup for in-game. Plenty of detail. Would have maybe like to see some visuals or a layout for the arena but overall solid work here. Rocket makes for a great part of a laser tag type attraction.​
  • Iron Man Go Karts – no detail here?​
  • Overall, a nice job Team Space. As indicated, you all worked well together this round and provided some good ideas. For organization purposes, I would have maybe led with the Gauntlet Assembly or Arcade Attack as the headliner for the arcade instead of Argon. A sentence here or there in your introductory pieces would go a long way in setting the stage for either the arcade or attraction with a bit more detail on the standard arcade fare as well. Also, I do see this is in IMG Worlds of Adventure, but was a location picked? That would be another inclusion to help sell the idea of how the arcade fits with the park. Again, solid teamwork this week and you all provided numerous extras and unique parts to your pitch, just needed some finer details to really make the project shine.​

View attachment 534953

DC Funverse

• DC – Nice in that provides an interesting contrast to Team Space, but also gets us to another local park. Not to mention all the good DC source material (as with Marvel) for an arcade experience.​
  • love the use of Google Doc here. It makes it so easy to flow from beginning to end and is a perfect fit for this type of pitch​
  • I understand why this is not built in the park due to the size but would love to have found someway to include in in the indoor park experience if possible. Great map/layout and the google doc here works nicely to flow straight through the arcade.​
  • The Game Floor
  • Shazam’s Arcade – here is our classic games, and many from Disney’s Digital Kingdom no less​
  • I knew this ahead of time, but you made your own freaking games. You made your own freaking games. You made your own freaking games. That is next level awesomeness.​
  • Teen Titan’s Slam – So much stinking detail in this game. Wow. As a huge fan of the X-men cabinet you are basing it off, I know I would love this game. I think game developers miss out on so much with IP’s like this. Give us mass multiplayer co-op games where we can use all these characters together.​
  • Laser Tag – short and sweet but the visuals here go a long way helping sell the idea​
  • Mini-golf – Love the idea of a villain’s mini golf and the inclusion of some really off the wall DC villains. There are some doozies at DC, and you have got some good ones here. Nice job on this​
  • Go-karts – perfect amount of detail here but the kart examples and track layout are what sells it.​
  • Joker’s Pinball Madhouse
  • Another villain inspired pinball machine which is to me, awesome to see​
  • The set up and detail for the machine is great with the villains and cabinet info​
  • With the set up and all that is going into the machine and layout, would this be a premium game experience as opposed to a standard machine? I may have missed seeing that detail but that is something I would like to know about. This seems like something you would want a sizeable upcharge to play.​
  • Again, details, details, details with all the ambiance and tech info provided. Fantastic​
  • Game play – this truly seems like something that would draw a crowd just to watch people play it. You have provided essentially an attraction write up building into the game play of a pinball machine. All the villains you have used here are of course iconic with Batman. Copperhead on the only interesting one to me in lieu of Poison Ivy, but I think it is cool you went a different direction there. Overall, the machine design and write up are really well done.​
  • Dining
  • Full menus around with plenty of typical arcade fare. Love the comic book font used in Comic Cafeteria. Room design as well is a standout inclusion in the project.​
  • Shops/Restrooms/Trashcans – I think it is safe to say you all left no stone unturned, including having the restroom talk to me while I finish up. Hopefully, they will call out people that do not wash their hands before leaving​
  • Team Reality managed to get every single detail in this arcade fleshed out. I am trying to think of something you might not have covered, but you have done a fantastic job of covering everything from the headliner games down to trash cans and everything in between. This challenge involved producing a pinball machine and arcade and you did a really great job on both accounts. Only minor nitpick is the location of the arcade, but great pitch here.​

View attachment 534954

HB Ultimate Arcade

• Ok, this incessant sucking up to the judges is getting old (not really). You would not have known this, but Hanna Barbera is an all-timer for me. A fantastic idea for your arcade and your brief intro does a nice job selling the choice.​
  • Really nice job on the map and love how you have woven it into Warner Bros World
  • The website itself is easily viewable and well put together​
  • Again, love the design work (inside and out) and how you thought about its inclusion in the park. Exterior entry artwork and the arcade pricing are great touches as well.​
  • Jetson’s Future Funfair
  • The Orbit City look is an inspired design element for the arcade portion​
  • All the classic games are here, and you have done a nice job including HB rethemes of other standard arcade fare​
  • Future Flyers seems like a great VR experience. Would have loved to see a little more about this but as a Jetson’s fan I can picture it easily​
  • The Hooded Claw machine is a small bit of genius wordplay​
  • Nice mention of the extra pinball machines to be included in the arcade​
  • Scooby Doo Pinball
  • You are really getting me with the IP usage here. I will be honest I spent probably 10-15 minutes searching for a Scooby Doo pinball machine figuring there had to be something out there that I could use as a reference. I was amazed I could not find anything beyond a simple electronic tabletop version and see @D Hulk has confirmed there is not one. Simply mind blowing to me. Scooby Doo is an all time great kids cartoon. A great choice here​
  • Playfield – love the custom visuals showing the backglass and playfield​
  • Each of the zones on the playfield are easily tied to Scooby and seem to flow well with the layout artwork you have provided​
  • With my limited pinball knowledge, this seems like a classic layout, but set up and geared to flow with the Scooby story​
  • Rule Book – this is a great way to explain the game and tips for gameplay. The game modes chosen are some of the more known with the show, so you have done a nice job theme wise here.​
  • Flintstones bowling – why has this not been done? To me a next level bowling experience without all the crazy light shows, etc. that bowling alleys do today.​
  • Dick Dastardly – you put a coaster in here?? Great use of the IP and I love the idea of seeing these contraptions going around the arcade. Does wonders for the kinetics in the space.​
  • Wacky Accelerated Racing – Love the idea here styling after Mario Kart. Honestly, I think this would be better than Mario Kart if it ever got produced if nothing else for the wacky vehicle designs. The mixture between physical and arcade effects would be a ton of fun. Extra custom map design is welcome​
  • Secret Squirrel Escape Room – unexpected inclusion but a nice extra here. Again, love all the visuals including the custom image​
  • Space Ghost Laser Tag – 3 different varieties of laser tag from the teams and this one is also solid. Was a little unsure if guests are actually wearing full body suits or is that just the normal vests, etc. Space Ghost makes for good pre/post interaction for the experience. Would have liked to see a layout of some sorts, but overall, solid.​
  • Dining – short and sweet here, but theming is on brand with the arcade​
  • Beginning to end all manner of detail in Team Time's approach. Both the pinball machine and arcade were well thought and described with only minor nitpicks here or there. Plenty of thought was put into how this fit the park which I appreciate and the few pieces of artwork were a nice touch. Great use of the HB IP in all areas.​
Thank you for another thorough review!!

tcool123

I probably should have described it a bit better, but it would be one ball at a time, but the color you get would be random. Not a bunch of balls everywhere.
Hey it was still good, and you've gotten better write ups as the competition has continued forward! Just take what you learned from this stanza's critiques and apply those same lessons in the next stanza :)

I know we all wrote up pinball machines, but there's no use in comparing them all so closely. We all have different levels of expertise, and I'm sure if I tried to even make my pinball machine in Minecraft it would've been terrible. But you were able to only give a pretty good write up for the pinball, but also some amazing visuals for it. That alone is worth celebrating 🥳

Mickeynerd17

Hey it was still good, and you've gotten better write ups as the competition has continued forward! Just take what you learned from this stanza's critiques and apply those same lessons in the next stanza :)

I know we all wrote up pinball machines, but there's no use in comparing them all so closely. We all have different levels of expertise, and I'm sure if I tried to even make my pinball machine in Minecraft it would've been terrible. But you were able to only give a pretty good write up for the pinball, but also some amazing visuals for it. That alone is worth celebrating 🥳
Thanks!

One reason I knock myself so hard is because I CONSTANTLY challenge myself to do better. To strive for perfection. To come up with the best idea. To add the most detail. To stand out the most. To be the Sorcerer's Apprentice.

Sure, I've mostly failed for now, but Mickey mouse came out of Walt's own failures too. I still have faith.

But one of these days I WILL achieve my goal. It's just a long road there.

tcool123

Thanks!

One reason I knock myself so hard is because I CONSTANTLY challenge myself to do better. To strive for perfection. To come up with the best idea. To add the most detail. To stand out the most. To be the Sorcerer's Apprentice.

Sure, I've mostly failed for now, but Mickey mouse came out of Walt's own failures too. I still have faith.

But one of these days I WILL achieve my goal. It's just a long road there.
Anytime!

Just remember Rome wasn't built in a day, and there were a few stumbles along the way. You'll have these stumbles too, but all you can is pick yourself back up and put your best game face on. Don't let what you view as failures get in the way, take it as a little speedbump. Above all just remember to have fun with it the whole way through.

Already now you've improved, and we still have a long road ahead of his before the end. There's still for you to snag that Sorcerer's hat, and if not hey there's always next time :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom