Covid Vaccine Updates and General Discussion About Vaccines

Will you take a Covid vaccine once one is approved and deemed safe and effective by the FDA?

• Yes, stick me please

• No, I will wait

• No, I will never take one

Results are only viewable after voting.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
He was talking 2 doses and just adults, and again, wasn’t including J&J. But I think he was still sandbagging.
Yes, for sure. We also know if there are 250M adults we really only need enough vaccine for around 200M people since some percent won’t get it no matter what. I’d throw in another 30M doses for kids 12-17 since they hopefully are approved at least for Pfizer by April.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
I have a feeling this is Connecticut’s play. Keep the age tiers (and educators) for the 2 dose vaccines, and expedite the 1 doses to essentials. Gov isn’t ready to announce this yet since J&J isn’t officially approved.
Tag @MansionButler84
No clue what CT is doing but the Governor of FL already said that was his plan. It makes a lot of sense to do that way to get essential workers the vaccine as soon as possible while not taking anything away from the higher risk crowd.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
So far one of my sisters and my dad are fully vaccinated.
My mom's first dose is March 15th, my first dose is March 20th (I could only find an appt 90 miles away which stinks but worth it), and my other sister has her first dose April 9th.

My one niece and nephew won't be eligible for a while.
My other 2 nieces are too young.
I don't think my bro in law wants it.

I was very concerned that the people in my family who want/need it more would struggle to get an appt before May or June but I'm happy that we've secured appts sooner.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here is my spreadsheet of vaccine dose delivery. It takes time, tho, for scheduling and jabbing and a second shot for the 2-dose vaccines and immunity to develop. Right now, the U.S. is utilizing just 80% of doses shipped. And, this is assuming Astrazeneca doesn't get approval. In millions...

1614182992573.png

A more rosy picture is if Novavax gets approved....

1614182914947.png

Last edited:

seascape

I have been saying that come April anyone who wants a vaccine will be able to get it. Therefore by the end of April there should be no need for quarantines just for travel. Face mask use should continue until the rate per hundred thousand falls to under 2. As of yesterday Florida has 27 cases per hundred thousand using 2019 population but it would be 26 is the 2020 population number was used. Based on the droping rate on 30% every 2 weeks Florida will be under 20 by March 9 and 13 by March 23 and finally under 9 by April 6. Continuing out just over 6 by April 20 and 4.4 May 3. The pandemic is just about over and if the country uses all the vaccine available in March and April the drop of cases will actually be faster. In any case by Summer Covid19 will be solved and remember we were originally told it was impossible to have a vaccine before July 2021 by the FDA and the media. Everyone laughed at those who suggested it would be approved and used in less than 18 months.

pixie225

So far one of my sisters and my dad are fully vaccinated.
My mom's first dose is March 15th, my first dose is March 20th (I could only find an appt 90 miles away which stinks but worth it), and my other sister has her first dose April 9th.

My one niece and nephew won't be eligible for a while.
My other 2 nieces are too young.
I don't think my bro in law wants it.

I was very concerned that the people in my family who want/need it more would struggle to get an appt before May or June but I'm happy that we've secured appts sooner.
We were lucky enough to get appts the day they opened them up to NYers with underlying medical conditions. My husband got his Pfizer shot this past Friday, I have mine next Wed., and my daughter has hers next Friday. After finally getting through on the phone my husband also got his brother, sister-in-law and my brother (all with comorbidity) appts for 2nd week in March. We were lucky - but spent 14 hours on the phone, computer and cell phone trying to get through. The only one who will not get vaccinated is my other daughter, who had covid last March in NYC, but has no antibodies left after being tested for them. (she had them at one point in time, but they were gone by November.) Hopefully she will be able get vaccinated as soon as they open up to the general public. I can definitely understand why people are getting frustrated with their inability to schedule shots. Hopefully the increase in vaccine delivery will help.

Patcheslee

Stepdad got his first shot Saturday, Indiana opened up to ages 60-64 yesterday. Mom was able to get an appointment for March 15th earliest the had. Indiana scheduling is a bit odd because Kroger shows up as a vaccination site, but takes you to a different page to schedule an appt than the hospital and health department sites. It someone just goes to scheduling and appt though the government site, it does not bring up Kroger as an option. So if you live in Indiana and have a Kroger, Google that appt link and check through there as well. It's showing days available as early as March 2nd here because of the split system people are not aware of. I'm not sure if the 211 phone number for scheduling includes Kroger as appointment options.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
Here is my spreadsheet of vaccine dose delivery. It takes time, tho, for scheduling and jabbing and a second shot for the 2-dose vaccines and immunity to develop. Right now, the U.S. is utilizing just 80% of doses shipped. And, this is assuming Astrazeneca doesn't get approval.

View attachment 534859

A more rosy picture is if Novavax gets approved....
View attachment 534855
As a further point of reference there are only 250M adults in the US and likely 20% never get the vaccine so 200M adults interested in vaccines. We should hit that number of vaccines available in April. Add in 30M kids 12-17 who should be approved by April and we still have enough doses for everyone in May.

Weather_Lady

We were lucky enough to get appts the day they opened them up to NYers with underlying medical conditions. My husband got his Pfizer shot this past Friday, I have mine next Wed., and my daughter has hers next Friday. After finally getting through on the phone my husband also got his brother, sister-in-law and my brother (all with comorbidity) appts for 2nd week in March. We were lucky - but spent 14 hours on the phone, computer and cell phone trying to get through. The only one who will not get vaccinated is my other daughter, who had covid last March in NYC, but has no antibodies left after being tested for them. (she had them at one point in time, but they were gone by November.) Hopefully she will be able get vaccinated as soon as they open up to the general public. I can definitely understand why people are getting frustrated with their inability to schedule shots. Hopefully the increase in vaccine delivery will help.
I'm also in New York, and our experiences were similar. Since January, I've booked about 10 appointments for various eligible loved ones: I'll bet each one took a solid 2 hours of effort: clicking, refreshing, waiting in online queues for multiple pharmacies and the NYS sites, etc. I cannot imagine what a nightmare this must be for those who aren't very computer-literate, or who don't have a great deal of time on their hands to keep refreshing websites in multiple windows all day.

It was worth it, though: by the end of this month, everybody close to me except my kids (ages 12 and 14) and brother-in-law (who is eligible, but inexplicably believes himself to be invincible) will be fully vaccinated.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
As a further point of reference there are only 250M adults in the US and likely 20% never get the vaccine so 200M adults interested in vaccines. We should hit that number of vaccines available in April. Add in 30M kids 12-17 who should be approved by April and we still have enough doses for everyone in May.
Oops. I looked that number up, and somehow put the wrong number in my spreadsheet. Thanks for the catch. Updating the figures now....

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I'm also in New York, and our experiences were similar. Since January, I've booked about 10 appointments for various eligible loved ones: I'll bet each one took a solid 2 hours of effort: clicking, refreshing, waiting in online queues for multiple pharmacies and the NYS sites, etc. I cannot imagine what a nightmare this must be for those who aren't very computer-literate, or who don't have a great deal of time on their hands to keep refreshing websites in multiple windows all day.

It was worth it, though: by the end of this month, everybody close to me except my kids (ages 12 and 14) and brother-in-law (who is eligible, but inexplicably believes himself to be invincible) will be fully vaccinated.

I'm in NY as well but it has been more difficult to get appts in the Buffalo/WNY area. I could EASILY obtain an appt for any day of the week if I could drive 5+ hours. The population to vaccine ratio seems to be lopsided in some areas.
I'm lucky that I was even able to find the appt 90 miles away.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I have been saying that come April anyone who wants a vaccine will be able to get it. Therefore by the end of April there should be no need for quarantines just for travel. Face mask use should continue until the rate per hundred thousand falls to under 2. As of yesterday Florida has 27 cases per hundred thousand using 2019 population but it would be 26 is the 2020 population number was used. Based on the droping rate on 30% every 2 weeks Florida will be under 20 by March 9 and 13 by March 23 and finally under 9 by April 6. Continuing out just over 6 by April 20 and 4.4 May 3. The pandemic is just about over and if the country uses all the vaccine available in March and April the drop of cases will actually be faster. In any case by Summer Covid19 will be solved and remember we were originally told it was impossible to have a vaccine before July 2021 by the FDA and the media. Everyone laughed at those who suggested it would be approved and used in less than 18 months.

Skepticism that we could get a vaccine this fast was totally warranted, even experts in the field didn't think it would happen, especially ones that are this effective. Really no reason to criticize anyone who was skeptical.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Help me out, I must be missing something.

The main advantage of J&J is that it's a single dose, right? But its effectiveness seems to be roughly in line with single doses of Pfizer and Moderna. So what are we gaining here, exactly?

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I'm in NY as well but it has been more difficult to get appts in the Buffalo/WNY area. I could EASILY obtain an appt for any day of the week if I could drive 5+ hours. The population to vaccine ratio seems to be lopsided in some areas.
my family gave up on Buffalo and started hitting up Rochester with great success. If anyone you know needs help that’s something that worked for them.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster

The main advantage of J&J is that it's a single dose, right? But its effectiveness seems to be roughly in line with single doses of Pfizer and Moderna. So what are we gaining here, exactly?
We are gaining an additional 20M people vaccinated by the end of March that don’t need to make a second appointment and potentially skip work to get the 2nd shot and/or recover from it the next day. It also doesn’t require any special freezers so could literally be shipped direct to employers for mass vaccination clinics. Even Moderna (and now Pfizer) still had to be kept frozen but at a temp that most commercial freezers at a pharmacy can handle. JnJ could be stored in your fridge at home.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
my family gave up on Buffalo and started hitting up Rochester with great success. If anyone you know needs help that’s something that worked for them.

Rochester is where I'm going.
There are no more appts for Rochester though either as so many from the Buffalo area decided to go there.
Saw on the news where many companies are telling their employees to get one where ever they can and they will pay them to travel there.
So many people are now venturing out that 5+ hours.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

We are gaining an additional 20M people vaccinated by the end of March that don’t need to make a second appointment and potentially skip work to get the 2nd shot and/or recover from it the next day. It also doesn’t require any special freezers so could literally be shipped direct to employers for mass vaccination clinics. Even Moderna (and now Pfizer) still had to be kept frozen but at a temp that most commercial freezers at a pharmacy can handle. JnJ could be stored in your fridge at home.

Also, the vaccine is just about effective as PFZ and MOD when you look at illness requiring hospitalization or causing death.

Also, PFZ and MOD weren't tested against some of the new variants which are more resistant, like J&J was. It's possible that PFZ and MOD are really just as effective as J&J.

Any vaccine over 50% effective can lead to the R-nought dropping to below 1.0, which is the path to herd immunity.

Weather_Lady

We're situated about midway between Rochester and Syracuse, and have been heading in both directions (Syracuse Fairgrounds and Rochester Dome Arena for under-65s, and for the older folks, to pharmacies from Auburn to Lyons) for appointments. I'm sorry to hear that things are even tougher out your way!

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Keep in mind that even though the J&J and Morderna/Pfizer are similar after the first dose, you still have to give that second does of Morderna/Pfizer to be in line with what the manufacturer specifies and what the FDA approved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom