Should Cars be Cancelled?

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I don't think you can stop it.

San Francisco already cancelled Abraham Lincoln as a racist, along with liberal Senator Diane Feinstein because she wasn't liberal enough.

There's no stopping a group of people who could say out loud... Abe Lincoln is racist and must be removed from public thought!

Just try and wrap your head around that thought on Abe Lincoln. Just try. And then realize there is no stopping the runaway cancel train.
but...and correct me if I am wrong....didn't he...you know.....FREE ALL THE SLAVES?!........so how is he racists exactly??

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I wish young folks like you could have experienced America Sings. It was just so perfect, and so.... Disneyland.

Yes, it was a bit corny and schmaltzy. But it was schmaltz that had style and it worked. It was one of my all-time favorite Disneyland attractions. That revolving theater, the cast of dozens of animatronics on each stage, the way the hostess would start the audience clapping during each musical revolve of the theater, the pure nostalgia and patriotism of the show. It was magic, and I normally dislike that word because it's so overused. But American Sings was just... magic. I absolutely loved it.

That most of those animals ended up in Splash Mountain really helped Disneyland fans take to the new log ride quickly.

I still can't pass by that hound dog spinning in the boat in the Laughing Place and remember that he was once asking us who shot the hole in his sombrero, and perhaps maybe it was because he kissed Pancho's wife?

They don't write jokes like that anymore, sadly. 🤣

looks like a charming ride. had no idea the mom and the little rabbits were from that ride too. how cool

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I've listened to America Sing's soundtrack many times- and have enjoyed learning about the attraction over the years. I'd say it's in the top three past attractions I wish I could experience- with Country Bear Jamboree and Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland. Oh, and the original Pirates before the '97 changes.

It's interesting that WDI made the decision to close it and use the figures in Splash Mountain- with no actual replacement for America Sings. To this day, that building hasn't been used in a meaningful way. And America Sings closed over 30 years ago.
I used to love Country Bears especially the holiday show. Its one of the few attractions I can recall my grandmother participating in and enjoying. Those are special memories to me.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I was watching the movie Cars for the first time since its release. I realized that the movie doesn't fit in well with today's standards at all. In fact the entire movie is filled with stereotypes.

Ramone- Mexican Stereotype
Luigi - Italian Stereotype
Mater - Red Neck Stereotype
Flo - African American Stereotype

A lot of the comedy is based on the racial stereotypes, for example Ramone has flames on his car and is always showing off the hydraulics. Luigi is only interested in Italian race cars, not American ones.

There is even a Me Too moment where two "girl" cars that are fans of Lightning McQueen "flash their headlights" at him.

I remember waiting in line at Luigi's Tires and all the songs were stereotypical Italian songs making fun of Italians. Between each song Luigi talks about "his cousin" and "meatballs and spaghetti".

How is this kosher with people in 2021? I honestly think Cars Land will be set for a revamp in the future to remove or revise these characters.

Regardless of where you stand on cancel culture, these stereotypes aren't doing anyone any good.

They're literally cars. You're making it more than it needs to be.

Vegas Disney Fan

Ok, so she’s a former singer turned diner owner. Still don’t think she’s portrayed in a demeaning way. I could be wrong.
This is what drives me crazy about cancel culture, it doesn’t look at intent.

Just a few weeks ago there was an uproar about “blackface” in a Chinese New Year celebration, I watched The video and it’s Chinese actors portraying African culture in stylized African clothing and wearing professionally done makeup... that is a far cry from a minstrel face mocking people. They also portray the Middle East as belly dancers and pharaohs... reminded me of it’s a small world to be honest.

The use of stereotypes and makeup can be demeaning but they can also just be acting, intent means everything.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I've listened to America Sing's soundtrack many times- and have enjoyed learning about the attraction over the years. I'd say it's in the top three past attractions I wish I could experience- with Country Bear Jamboree and Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland. Oh, and the original Pirates before the '97 changes.

It's interesting that WDI made the decision to close it and use the figures in Splash Mountain- with no actual replacement for America Sings. To this day, that building hasn't been used in a meaningful way. And America Sings closed over 30 years ago.

Since I “experienced” America Sings as a 5 years old, saw pre 97 POTC plenty of times and saw CBJ, my Top 3 attractions I wish I could have experienced are Mine Train Thru Natures Wonderland, ATIS and maybe the original Alice in Wonderland or Rocket to the Moon. Now that I’m thinking about it, I don’t think I experienced the original CBJ. I think by the late 80s it was already the Vacation Hoedown.

Californian Elitist

This is what drives me crazy about cancel culture, it doesn’t look at intent.

Just a few weeks ago there was an uproar about “blackface” in a Chinese New Year celebration, I watched The video and it’s Chinese actors portraying African culture in stylized African clothing and wearing professionally done makeup... that is a far cry from a minstrel face mocking people. They also portray the Middle East as belly dancers and pharaohs... reminded me of it’s a small world to be honest.

The use of stereotypes and makeup can be demeaning but they can also just be acting, intent means everything.
As an African American, I don’t want to see non-black people putting on brown makeup to appear black to celebrate black culture. It is unnecessary and very strange, in my opinion. One can celebrate African or black culture without donning blackface. At the same time, I’m aware that the Chinese aren’t as aware as Americans are of the historical harm that blackface has brought upon African Americans, and therefore am not going to get upset about it. I’ll just roll my eyes and move on.

SamusAranX

He didn’t free them fast enough? He wasn’t black? There will be a reason.
Lincoln personally believed that slavery was morally wrong, but as a pragmatist, was initially just trying to preserve the fragile US. He reassured the states where it existed that he would not threaten it. Not because he likes slavery, but was trying to avert a bloody war.

The south didn’t listen, and seceded. This gave him the opportunity to actually do what he knew to be the right thing, and free them as it politically was feasible.

His views that most likely make him “cancelled” we’re both the above pragmatism, and his initial uncertainty if persons of color deserved full civil and legal rights upon receiving their freedom. In fact some in his party didn’t think he went far enough in advancing the rights of African Americans and other minorities. This set up a bitter political fight upon his death as Andrew Johnson held the same views [as Lincoln].

Lincoln was both ahead of his peers and a product of his time in many ways. A flawed, but well intentioned man.

Stevek

I wish young folks like you could have experienced America Sings. It was just so perfect, and so.... Disneyland.

Yes, it was a bit corny and schmaltzy. But it was schmaltz that had style and it worked. It was one of my all-time favorite Disneyland attractions. That revolving theater, the cast of dozens of animatronics on each stage, the way the hostess would start the audience clapping during each musical revolve of the theater, the pure nostalgia and patriotism of the show. It was magic, and I normally dislike that word because it's so overused. But American Sings was just... magic. I absolutely loved it.

That most of those animals ended up in Splash Mountain really helped Disneyland fans take to the new log ride quickly.

I still can't pass by that hound dog spinning in the boat in the Laughing Place and remember that he was once asking us who shot the hole in his sombrero, and perhaps maybe it was because he kissed Pancho's wife?

They don't write jokes like that anymore, sadly. 🤣

I was very lucky to see it many, many times. I still love listening to the soundtrack.

And remember the Sombrero song had two different versions. One as you described above and another that said "you don't recon my old could be back in town?"

See video below with the alternate version. Starts about 7:20. This was the version I remember seeing, Disney released Pancho version you referenced on the 50th anniversary set (and pretty much every "studio" version on youtube is the Pancho version). Finding the version I remember is next to impossible though I'm sure I had it at one point.

DanielBB8

The obvious reason wasn’t mentioned. John Laserter was involved and Disney already cancelled him.
Soon Walt Disney will be cancelled for various offenses that theyll be offended about.
Lucasfilms blacklisted a fictional Cara Dune character because they fired the actress.

CaptinEO

Original Poster
The obvious reason wasn’t mentioned. John Laserter was involved and Disney already cancelled him.
Soon Walt Disney will be cancelled for various offenses that theyll be offended about.
Lucasfilms blacklisted a fictional Cara Dune character because they fired the actress.

Lassetter actually stole the credit for Cars. Look in this article for the original artwork from the original person who pitched cars. Looks the exact same as what ended up in the movie.

Yet Lasseter claimed he invented the idea on a Route 66 road trip.

denyuntilcaught

See what I meant? lol

No Name

I’d have to rewatch the movie but I’m not sure how poor the portrayals are. It’s fine and good to have distinct and diverse characters so long as it’s not reinforcing negative stereotypes. From memory I’d say Mater evokes the most stereotypes, but he’s a redneck, and they don’t get much sympathy for a number of reasons. On the other hand, I’d say Flo is the least stereotypical. It’s an interesting point but you’d need specific examples of how it’s bad.

TP2000

Yes, intent tells a fuller story but sometimes we are so quick to judge and get offended without understanding. What happened to listening first, asking questions to gain understanding, and speaking afterwards?

Gosh, that sounds like the 20th century.

And it's not how the kids are taught today. :(

TP2000

I’d have to rewatch the movie but I’m not sure how poor the portrayals are. It’s fine and good to have distinct and diverse characters so long as it’s not reinforcing negative stereotypes. From memory I’d say Mater evokes the most stereotypes, but he’s a redneck, and they don’t get much sympathy for a number of reasons. On the other hand, I’d say Flo is the least stereotypical. It’s an interesting point but you’d need specific examples of how it’s bad.

What's a "negative" stereotype? So few people are able to explain what that is, even after they use the phrase in a sentence.

For example, Disney recently threw Walt and Marc Davis and a few dozen other dead or retired Imagineers under the bus by claiming the Jungle Cruise had "negative stereotypes". What were they? The Africans doing their cultural dances? Wearing their cultural clothes? Exhibiting their cultural norms? Or just the drama when they pretended to attack a theme park boat ride based on the (admittedly crude) weaponry and customs they actually have?

Or would it be better if the African peoples portrayed in the Jungle Cruise were cubicle workers changing out the toner cartridge in a printer in a downtown Nairobi office building? They'd be just like us, but it would make for a rather boring boat ride, wouldn't it?

And yes, this image popped up when I Googled "Black Man Changes Toner Cartridge". :cool:

man-changing-office-printer-ink.png

So in Cars Land, Ramone is a Chicano car voiced by Cheech Marin. Flo is a Black woman car from Detroit voiced by Jenifer Lewis. Mater is a white hick towtruck voiced by Larry The Cable Guy. Etc., etc.

Are those "negative" stereotypes? And if Cars Land is now negative by 2021's woke standards, what's positive? Some anodyne, monotone culture where we all look alike, talk alike, think alike? Where all cars in Cars Land are silver Honda Civic sedans on a 24 month lease and Radiator Springs is a beige Irvine office park with tasteful yet drought resistant landscaping?

Welcome To Cars Land 2023! Where Nothing Is Offensive To Anyone Ever!
10-corporate-park-irvine-photo-2-of-19.jpg

That sounds even more boring than a Jungle Cruise boat ride where we see African cubicle drones changing the toner cartridge in a downtown Nairobi office, instead of wearing exotic masks and attacking us with wildly painted spears while our Skipper barely gets our boat to escape.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom