What did you do?

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Participated in my second POW 50k (or as the organizer puts it, “the world’s longest 50k!” because, at 34 miles, it’s actually 54.7!), at a former army camp in the Carolina foothills that turned into a state park. I ran with my Bud (abbreviated Budweiser) cap in memory of my grandpa Bud who was a POW for a period in WWII and then celebrated drinking one after the finish.

I don’t think my legs have ever been this sore, it was 34F (high of 36!) and rained about 80% of the day, so the the 8.5 mile loop was ankle deep water and mud (or deeper) for the majority of the course (not an exaggeration) and got sloppier and slipperier with each loop as a hundred or so runners churned it up!

In dry conditions, I figured it would probably be an 8 hour event for me with all the elevation change (although, I did manage to keep that pace for two laps 😁), but turned into about 9:30:00 and I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy to take a bath and collapse in bed once I got back home!

Lot’s of fun, but I think I’m going to take a few days off, haha!

View attachment 532128View attachment 532120View attachment 532121View attachment 532122View attachment 532123View attachment 532124View attachment 532125View attachment 532126View attachment 532127View attachment 532130

This is AMAZING!!! I hate trail running...er, my ANKLES hate trail running. What an accomplishment!!!

dreamfinder

5k @ 8min pace. Just beat the snow storm. (Which is more a rain/ice storm, but I digress)
Participated in my second POW 50k (or as the organizer puts it, “the world’s longest 50k!” because, at 34 miles, it’s actually 54.7!), at a former army camp in the Carolina foothills that turned into a state park. I ran with my Bud (abbreviated Budweiser) cap in memory of my grandpa Bud who was a POW for a period in WWII and then celebrated drinking one after the finish.

I don’t think my legs have ever been this sore, it was 34F (high of 36!) and rained about 80% of the day, so the the 8.5 mile loop was ankle deep water and mud (or deeper) for the majority of the course (not an exaggeration) and got sloppier and slipperier with each loop as a hundred or so runners churned it up!

In dry conditions, I figured it would probably be an 8 hour event for me with all the elevation change (although, I did manage to keep that pace for two laps 😁), but turned into about 9:30:00 and I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy to take a bath and collapse in bed once I got back home!

Lot’s of fun, but I think I’m going to take a few days off, haha!
Congrats.

Surferboy567

Today, was a big milestone. Tonight marked the conclusion of the training plan for my Fairytale Challenge. Took me 18 weeks to get to this point where I believe I am now fully ready to take on the Fairytale Challenge plus the 5K.

I will be running the entirety of the challenge and 5K on the treadmill. The forecast has sealed this we are about to get a large storm around the actual start of the weekend. As such, I will be tackling this challenge on the actual race day from the treadmill. As for my actual plan for the races my main goal is to complete the challenge and 5K. As many know I have completed individual races with not much of a problem. This will be the first time I take on a runDisney or any running challenge.

With that in mind here are the stats for tonight’s final maintenance run. Little more then a 5K distance.

Time: 42:39
Distance: 3.42
Avg Pace: 12:27

I expect my times for each race will probably fall close to these numbers.

After Princess ends, I will immediately start my new training program for the Kessel and Rival Run challenge.

EDIT: The maintenance run was also done on the treadmill.

Last edited:

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Today, was a big milestone. Tonight marked the conclusion of the training plan for my Fairytale Challenge. Took me 18 weeks to get to this point where I believe I am now fully ready to take on the Fairytale Challenge plus the 5K.

I will be running the entirety of the challenge and 5K on the treadmill. The forecast has sealed this we are about to get a large storm around the actual start of the weekend. As such, I will be tackling this challenge on the actual race day from the treadmill. As for my actual plan for the races my main goal is to complete the challenge and 5K. As many know I have completed individual races with not much of a problem. This will be the first time I take on a runDisney or any running challenge.

With that in mind here are the stats for tonight’s final maintenance run. Little more then a 5K distance.

Time: 42:39
Distance: 3.42
Avg Pace: 12:27

I expect my times for each race will probably fall close to these numbers.

After Princess ends, I will immediately start my new training program for the Kessel and Rival Run challenge.

Good luck.

Surferboy567

Completed my first event of Princess. The 5K race! I did it on the treadmill and actually managed to PR!

Time: 34:51
Distance: 3.11
Avg Pace: 11:11

According to my metrics my fastest 5K according during the WDW 10K. Where I ran 5K of that 10K race in just about 35:36. Of course running on the treadmill isn’t the same as actually doing it outside but I am definitely happy with these results.

Anyways, tommorow is the next event for me as I am doing the full challenge.

Surferboy567

Completed the second event of Princess and the first of the Fairytale Challenge, the Enchanted 10K I again, did it on the treadmill and managed to PR once again!

Time: 01:13:36
Distance: 6.24
Avg Pace: 11:47

According to my metrics my previous fastest 10K was the WDW 10K. Much like yesterday’s 5K I beat the previously set WDW 10K of 01:14:33. Setting a new PR with the above results.

My next event is tomorrow, and is the last of Princess and the Fairytale Challenge.

Surferboy567

This was it the big one, the main event. 18 weeks of work and it’s finally finished. My first runDisney challenge is in the books! The Princess Half, was done on the treadmill just like every other race for this weekend. Once again, I didn’t just set a new PR I crushed my old record.

Here are the race stats:

Time: 02:36:11
Distance: 13.14
Avg Pace: 11:53

According to my metrics my fastest half before this was the WDW Half as it was the only one I ran before this. It was completed in 02:40:42, which now has just been beaten with the above stats.

Anyways, I am super excited to have ran my first entire race weekend even if it was done virtually and on a treadmill. Now to just wait for the medals.

Surferboy567

Picked up a new pair of running shoes today, figured that after Princess I should probably start on a new pair as I have lots of miles on the old ones. Still stuck with Asics, got a wide size shoe this time.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Ran my 5k on Saturday - my 1st 5k distance in over a year: 3.10 @ 13:44/mi doing 10:2 intervals and keeping my average HR under 155

Today - back to training - 12:2 intervals for 40 minutes = 2.91 @ 13:45/mi

Surferboy567

Now that Princess is behind us thought I would make a post saying what is next.

For a quick recap of what I have done so far in terms of racing. I have trained a full 18 weeks for Princess I cut the 19th week out (more on that later). During those 18 weeks, I managed to participate in 3 additional races on the way to the Fairytale Challenge. Those being the Wine & Dine 10K, WDW 10K, & the WDW Half Marathon. This was thanks to all of them going virtual so I could easily slot them into my long run and training days. Which led to the challenge and 5K.

In terms of the future, as I said before when Star Wars was announced to go virtual I had to run it. Not only is it the weekend I have always wanted to do, but they announced it to be the last one (slightly disappointed in that decision I am interested to see what the new theme is though). Ever since I signed up for the Kessel, I threw together a training plan using the Galloway Training plan I have already been using so far. I also signed up for the 5K.

Right now the new plan comprises of 7 weeks of actual training before the Kessel challenge proper. Plus an additional week after the races to cool down. This additional week to cool down is identical to the 19th week I cut out. Since I am already trained for a challenge, I think I should be largely ready to run a challenge that has the same distances as the one I just did, it’s more about keeping myself in shape and ready to tackle the long distance.

I will be using my same run/walk method of 15/30 for training and races. So basically it’s the same exact training as Princess but I start in Week 11 of training.

One last thing since I am running Kessel, I will slot the virtual half into my training plan much like I did with the other races. The current plan is to run the virtual half in two weeks as part of Week 2 of training but that may shift based on a variety of factors like weather and if I need to recover. Anyways that is the plan, and as of tomorrow I’ll be back to my normal training. After Star Wars, I do not have any more races planned. That could change depending on what they announce when they finally reveal the calendar.

EDIT: As of now, I plan on running the races on the actual days much like I did Princess. It could change but that is what I am hoping to do for the races.

Last edited:

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Ran my 5k on Saturday - my 1st 5k distance in over a year: 3.10 @ 13:44/mi doing 10:2 intervals and keeping my average HR under 155

Today - back to training - 12:2 intervals for 40 minutes = 2.91 @ 13:45/mi

10:2 and 12:2 are in minutes I would imagine? When I do longer distances (longer than 10km) I tend to do 12:3 intervals because I find these are easier to keep track of than other intervals (especially as I get more and more tired 😉)

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
10:2 and 12:2 are in minutes I would imagine? When I do longer distances (longer than 10km) I tend to do 12:3 intervals because I find these are easier to keep track of than other intervals (especially as I get more and more tired 😉)

Correct. my run coach has my slowly increasing my run intervals while keeping my walk at 2 minutes. I'm used to :30/:30 intervals so I'm pretty proud of being able to run 10+ minutes right now. I set my garmin to buzz when it's time to run/walk so I don't have to think about it

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Strength training today - 10 minute elliptical warm-up, 25 minutes of upper body sets on the machines at the gym plus LOTS of stretching.

striker1064

I'm new here, thought I'd pop in. Ran 36:04 today which came out to 3.65mi. Recovering (very) slowly from a plantar fasciitis injury that I've been dealing with for over a year, but I seem to finally be over the hump.

I'm mixing in these shorter non-stop runs with a 5k to 10k training plan, which has gone well. And I'm trying to incorporate more strength training and stretching in the hopes of never dealing with this injury again.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I'm new here, thought I'd pop in. Ran 36:04 today which came out to 3.65mi. Recovering (very) slowly from a plantar fasciitis injury that I've been dealing with for over a year, but I seem to finally be over the hump.

I'm mixing in these shorter non-stop runs with a 5k to 10k training plan, which has gone well. And I'm trying to incorporate more strength training and stretching in the hopes of never dealing with this injury again.
Welcome to the rD subforum!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom