News People mover now reopened!

KBLovedDisney

This thing is going full Horizons!

adam sandler shut up GIF

jrhwdw

They better not be pulling a Spectromagic on us, they were seen testing that to.

Testing... what, exactly? The floats were ruined.
Was Spectro being tested when Nighttastic was still on, then something Horrid happen? Then, MSEP got open ended till Oct 2016? Spectro couldn't have been fully destroyed before Summer Nighttastic 2010 even ended, Right???

With TTA being tested with and without CMs, I was thinking we were alot closer than April! But What do I know? Not a Local/AP, def. not an insider!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Was Spectro being tested when Nighttastic was still on, then something Horrid happen? Then, MSEP got open ended till Oct 2016? Spectro couldn't have been fully destroyed before Summer Nighttastic 2010 even ended, Right???

With TTA being tested with and without CMs, I was thinking we were alot closer than April! But What do I know? Not a Local/AP, def. not an insider!
The Spectromagic floats were stored outside, under a tent, because someone thought it was a good way to save money on storage. They were beyond repair when they wanted to bring the parade back

Surferboy567

What is the holdup? Can you shed some light? I honestly was thinking that the ride's ability to social distance was what was keeping it closed. That speedramp creates an area that is less than 6ft. I am totally pulling that out of the dark though.
They could probably just not send as many people up onto the speed ramp at once. Once that group is off, then they continue the cycle.

GymLeaderPhil

Assuming they resolved the issue with vehicles spacing and colliding, I think the next issue that’s preventing reopening is the cost and logistics of operating it during a pandemic.

I don’t see Disney investing the money to put plexiglass shielding in the front and back of each car. It would require major costly modifications to the trains. So they’re going to likely have to load every other car.

As a result, this will increase the length of the line. I cannot fathom them using the tiny queue upstairs as there’s zero distancing in the small switchback. Since there’s now so little room upstairs without the queue, the speedramp up to the station will be stationary. You can tell that this was the intent all along based on the social distancing tape that’s lined up on the sides and not on the speedramp itself.

With an even smaller socially distanced “extended” queue downstairs, the line will be outside of its physical barriers sprawling into the land. Since there’s so many other attractions nearby, it will have to be carefully managed so it doesn’t intersect with Astro Orbiter or block the walkway to the Carousel of Progress. To do this, instead of just four Cast Members running the attraction, now you’re looking at an absolute minimum of five in the best case scenario to handle the line. Think Slinky Dog Dash’s queue congesting the walkway. God forbid the ride has to stop. All this for a non-“E-Ticket.”

So if I was someone in charge running the numbers, carefully weighing what impact it has on a guest being dissatisfied that it’s not operating with the decreased capacity and increased cost of running it - I’d probably not reopen it until the pandemic is over.

dmw

In the Parks
No
FWIW the Diesel engines were removed long ago; the Subs are now zero-emission vehicles
I was never on a sub during my years in the Navy, but this made me think about how subs (and many ships) moved from diesel into the nuclear age. Seems fitting that Disney retired diesels, too. SSN Mickey?

EricsBiscuit

What is the holdup? Can you shed some light? I honestly was thinking that the ride's ability to social distance was what was keeping it closed. That speedramp creates an area that is less than 6ft. I am totally pulling that out of the dark though.
That doesn’t really matter because you’re only near for like a minute if that. The CDC guidelines say you have to be next to someone for 15 minutes I believe to seriously risk it.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Assuming they resolved the issue with vehicles spacing and colliding, I think the next issue that’s preventing reopening is the cost and logistics of operating it during a pandemic.

I don’t see Disney investing the money to put plexiglass shielding in the front and back of each car. It would require major costly modifications to the trains. So they’re going to likely have to load every other car.

As a result, this will increase the length of the line. I cannot fathom them using the tiny queue upstairs as there’s zero distancing in the small switchback. Since there’s now so little room upstairs without the queue, the speedramp up to the station will be stationary. You can tell that this was the intent all along based on the social distancing tape that’s lined up on the sides and not on the speedramp itself.

With an even smaller socially distanced “extended” queue downstairs, the line will be outside of its physical barriers sprawling into the land. Since there’s so many other attractions nearby, it will have to be carefully managed so it doesn’t intersect with Astro Orbiter or block the walkway to the Carousel of Progress. To do this, instead of just four Cast Members running the attraction, now you’re looking at an absolute minimum of five in the best case scenario to handle the line. Think Slinky Dog Dash’s queue congesting the walkway. God forbid the ride has to stop. All this for a non-“E-Ticket.”

So if I was someone in charge running the numbers, carefully weighing what impact it has on a guest being dissatisfied that it’s not operating with the decreased capacity and increased cost of running it - I’d probably not reopen it until the pandemic is over.

While I hate the reasoning in your post... it’s likely 100% true and spot-on accurate. I say that because I would love nothing more than to ride the Peoplemover in a warm sunny day next month.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom