News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

MrPromey

I think the only way we would ever get something akin to original EPCOT again is if it was the passion project of a billionaire who had the money to spend and wasn't too worried about the overall profitability. Not that they'd want to lose money long-term, but an individual can be on board with a modest profit for something that fits their vision. A publicly traded corporation really can't be in the present climate due to investor pressure.

Funny, that's how Disney once was... and how previous management tried to maintain it after, to the degree that they could as a publicly traded company without a Walt to tell investors how things were going to be.

Last edited:

montyz81

No, he means World Discovery. See below.

sdflk4560954836-1024x501.jpg

Taken from here: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...f-epcot-underway-at-walt-disney-world-resort/
I know/knew exactly what he meant. I was being cheeky. It may be a long while before I use those names and I certainly will not do it before there are any signs up.

In the Parks
Yes
I still think, even if the building is being recycled it’s a extremely poor reason for it to be still standing. How long have they been doing this? I know it was going on during my trip a year ago. So, it’s at least a year old. Disney is more then capable of demo’ing a building.

Of course, I am not in construction but the point still stands.
The buildings in question are/were constructed over the utilidors and service rooms below. The reason they are not just pushing the buildings over is that it would do damage to the infrastructure below. So we are taking them apart, beam by beam, cutting beams and tunnel supports as needed. Tedious work.

_caleb

The buildings in question are/were constructed over the utilidors and service rooms below. The reason they are not just pushing the buildings over is that it would do damage to the infrastructure below. So we are taking them apart, beam by beam, cutting beams and tunnel supports as needed. Tedious work.
“We?” That’s great! Welcome!

montyz81

What are the west utilidors going to be used for now that the table isn’t being built? What a waste of a good building. They never should have torn it down. Didn’t they learn their lesson with Hoeizons?

J4546

The underground tunnels and basement is such a large complex, i imagine it could be used for food transport/storage for a world showcase style attraction in that location. Maybe they will relocate the world showcase pavilion to the "table building" area and reimagine it as a smaller building or series of food carts/outdoor seating mixed into the trees with shade. then get rid of the inflatable world showcase pavilion and put in a permanent new one like egypt, india, or brazil. Theres a lot of space in that pavilion spot so you could build a major ride as part of it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The underground tunnels and basement is such a large complex, i imagine it could be used for food transport/storage for a world showcase style attraction in that location. Maybe they will relocate the world showcase pavilion to the "table building" area and reimagine it as a smaller building or series of food carts/outdoor seating mixed into the trees with shade. then get rid of the inflatable world showcase pavilion and put in a permanent new one like egypt, india, or brazil. Theres a lot of space in that pavilion spot so you could build a major ride as part of it.
Or maybe they won’t. The tent is now as permanent as a temporary building can be.

Robbiem

To me the other reason epcot failed is Disney have retreated on their purpose and marketing for the parks. EPCOT centre was the pinnacle of the vacation kingdom of the world when the parks were one aspect of wider experience. Marketing showed couple having elegant meals or sipping cocktails at places like the top of the world lounge or golfing, riding boats etc. WDW was marketed to all groups of people and Epcot was designed to appeal and draw a different type of person to the resort than Magic Kingdom.

fast for to now and marketing is about the parks and almost exclusively young families- rather than ‘something for everyone’ its ‘give your kids magic memories’. The original market for epcot arent targeted so they dont visit as often and the park then needs reimagining to fit the new demographic of visitors.

its all a shame as I bet more young childless couples visit now than ever before but they have the same kiddy oriented experience as people with toddlers in tow rather than a more adult experience (except for alcohol themed festival)

castlecake2.0

To me the other reason epcot failed is Disney have retreated on their purpose and marketing for the parks. EPCOT centre was the pinnacle of the vacation kingdom of the world when the parks were one aspect of wider experience. Marketing showed couple having elegant meals or sipping cocktails at places like the top of the world lounge or golfing, riding boats etc. WDW was marketed to all groups of people and Epcot was designed to appeal and draw a different type of person to the resort than Magic Kingdom.

fast for to now and marketing is about the parks and almost exclusively young families- rather than ‘something for everyone’ its ‘give your kids magic memories’. The original market for epcot arent targeted so they dont visit as often and the park then needs reimagining to fit the new demographic of visitors.

its all a shame as I bet more young childless couples visit now than ever before but they have the same kiddy oriented experience as people with toddlers in tow rather than a more adult experience (except for alcohol themed festival)
Totally agree with everything you said. I love brining my niece and nephew to the parks, but I also love having classy date nights with my partner. I wish they had a couple of 18+ options, kinda in the style they do on DCL.

Maybe one lounge/restaurant in the seven seas area and another at boardwalk. Getting hit from behind with a double stroller at enchanted rose the other night kinda ruined the mood lol.

Back to future world, maybe the new “event space” could relieve some congestion in world showcase. I wouldn’t mind seeing that area be more of the central area for festivals and move some stuff away from the promenade.

Maybe consolidate the festival offerings in WS to world showplace, the France/Morocco transition, and the outpost area. Once Harmonious opens I’m assuming they’ll want as much viewing area as possible, and WS has enough f&b venues now you don’t really need as many kiosks everywhere.

Father Robinson

Here's a random question. Any idea what they did with all the palm trees that were around the FoN and around the construction zone of what is now known as World Celebration? There seemed to be at least 15-20 of them. I hate to think they just chopped them down. I wonder if any attempt would have been made to save them?

castlecake2.0

Here's a random question. Any idea what they did with all the palm trees that were around the FoN and around the construction zone of what is now known as World Celebration? There seemed to be at least 15-20 of them. I hate to think they just chopped them down. I wonder if any attempt would have been made to save them?
I don’t know for sure about these ones, but I do know that a lot of the big oak trees around the old speedway have been relocated around property during the construction there, so it’s possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom