Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Weather really hurting doses administered. I know in PA near me Rite Aid is cancelling their appointments for tomorrow due to weather :(. Their policy is to reschedule 3 weeks out which is really disappointing for the people who thought they would be almost done by then.

On a positive note 72,377,987 doses delivered and 57,395,477 administered so 14,982,510 unused. 7 day daily average is 1,609,204 doses administered a day. At that rate the unused doses represent about 9 days worth of doses. So this narrative that it takes weeks or even months from the time the doses arrive to the time they are used is not true. I know the numbers represent averages and every state varies, but on average we are on pace right now to use all the doses we currently have received within 9 days. In other words if we had received the last dose needed to vaccinate the last person who wanted it today they would have their first dose within 9 days not weeks or months later.

That’s an awful policy.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I can see how that would be frustrating. But there are not many movies being widely distributed at this time. Though limited distributed movies under normal times do show up in New York City and Los Angeles.

Most movies have moved there showing out a year. this occurred a lot after Tenet came out in September.....and almost no one showed up in theaters. It is worth it for them to shelve a movie for a year even if done for the better revenue on release post covid.

Of course some are trying to simultaneous paid streaming release (Warner with HBO Max , and Disney with Disney+).

Browse the domestic release schedule and see the dearth of wide release movies in the upcoming months: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/calendar/?ref_=bo_lnav_hm_shrt
If you want to see the distribution channel move movies to later dates check out: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/calendar/changes/?ref_=bo_nb_rs_secondarytab

I went to a local AMC IMAX for wonder woman 84 when it was in theaters. We were one of two couples in the IMAX theater.

Some of my co-workers have started to take Cinemark's private watch party's. Whole theater for up to 20 people for $99.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
bit off topic but re movie theaters anyone else kind of annoyed how their always coming last in the conversation when it comes to reopening?

Nobody is going to rush to theaters anyway. They may never comeback. Economics

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Weather really hurting doses administered. I know in PA near me Rite Aid is cancelling their appointments for tomorrow due to weather :(. Their policy is to reschedule 3 weeks out which is really disappointing for the people who thought they would be almost done by then.

On a positive note 72,377,987 doses delivered and 57,395,477 administered so 14,982,510 unused. 7 day daily average is 1,609,204 doses administered a day. At that rate the unused doses represent about 9 days worth of doses. So this narrative that it takes weeks or even months from the time the doses arrive to the time they are used is not true. I know the numbers represent averages and every state varies, but on average we are on pace right now to use all the doses we currently have received within 9 days. In other words if we had received the last dose needed to vaccinate the last person who wanted it today they would have their first dose within 9 days not weeks or months later.

Not sure how else you could do the re-schedule. Assuming they are operating at capacity, and you have to postpone all of one day's appointments, you can't just move them to the next day. I assume the 3 weeks gets them out to where there might be more openings, and allows for them to still keep up with second doses.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It turns out I was not the only one questioning the mystery change in vaccine and return to normal predictions coming from the Biden Administration last night. Here’s a pretty good read on the sudden change in story.

I get slow playing the rollout and wanting to under promise and over achieve, but I‘d rather just hear an honest prediction of where we will be even if it’s ball park and I would also prefer a more aspirational goal. Setting the goal of having enough doses for everyone by July is about as useful as a goal of 100M shots in the first 100 days. Barring a truly tragic development it’s going to happen. I‘d rather see an aggressive goal that may be difficult to reach but something to strive for.

hopemax

bit off topic but re movie theaters anyone else kind of annoyed how their always coming last in the conversation when it comes to reopening?

Indoors. Extended period of time (way longer than 15 min). People eating and laughing. Why shouldn’t they be in the last group?

Movies are one of the things I am missing, but I don’t want any part of those elements that come with increased risk. No matter how much I might want to. It’s okay to be missing something. A lot. But still doesn’t make it a good idea.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not sure how else you could do the re-schedule. Assuming they are operating at capacity, and you have to postpone all of one day's appointments, you can't just move them to the next day. I assume the 3 weeks gets them out to where there might be more openings, and allows for them to still keep up with second doses.
If the doses are there and they receive the doses for appointments already scheduled as expected it’s a wasted opportunity. When we had our last snow storm the mass vaccination site shut down and all appointments were rescheduled for a few days later. They have the extra capacity to vaccinate more people it’s the doses they are waiting on. It’s less practical for Rite Aid since the appointments are spread out amongst stores, but they could have added an hour a day next week to make up for it. Pay some OT or bring in an extra body. Rite Aid also just started doing doses in PA last week so there are no second doses to contend with.

DisneyDebRob

Indoors. Extended period of time (way longer than 15 min). People eating and laughing. Why shouldn’t they be in the last group?

Movies are one of the things I am missing, but I don’t want any part of those elements that come with increased risk. No matter how much I might want to. It’s okay to be missing something. A lot. But still doesn’t make it a good idea.
I’m surprised how much I don’t miss the theaters. Wasn’t a avid goer, only a few a year but it’s one of the things I don’t miss. I’m thinking my sofa and big screen.. along with my popcorn and what ever I want to eat for one tenth the price is working for me. I know a lot of people miss the movies and hope they come back in some form soon all over. Just one of things things that I chock up to change since this all started. Wife’s cutting my hair.. she’s learned to do her own nails, and they look better then she ever had them done out... I’ve learned to cook tons of things...etc. Maybe I’m looking for the positives with this whole thing but most of the changes in this house will stay.

seabreezept813

If the doses are there and they receive the doses for appointments already scheduled as expected it’s a wasted opportunity. When we had our last snow storm the mass vaccination site shut down and all appointments were rescheduled for a few days later. They have the extra capacity to vaccinate more people it’s the doses they are waiting on. It’s less practical for Rite Aid since the appointments are spread out amongst stores, but they could have added an hour a day next week to make up for it. Pay some OT or bring in an extra body. Rite Aid also just started doing doses in PA last week so there are no second doses to contend with.
Crazy. Us New Englanders can handle driving in snow. I’m sure covid is a bigger threat to most.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I miss going to the movies. Especially as a mom to an almost 3 year old with a new one coming in a few weeks. Best feeling ever to get a sitter and our mind totally in park. Please let adult forms of sanity come back!

I don’t really disagree...but the problem is brick and mortar places - including theaters -
Were in deep trouble before this.
Don’t see how they recover and go back to the old model?

DisneyCane

It turns out I was not the only one questioning the mystery change in vaccine and return to normal predictions coming from the Biden Administration last night. Here’s a pretty good read on the sudden change in story.

I get slow playing the rollout and wanting to under promise and over achieve, but I‘d rather just hear an honest prediction of where we will be even if it’s ball park and I would also prefer a more aspirational goal. Setting the goal of having enough doses for everyone by July is about as useful as a goal of 100M shots in the first 100 days. Barring a truly tragic development it’s going to happen. I‘d rather see an aggressive goal that may be difficult to reach but something to strive for.
First of all, credit to the reporter for producing a balanced report that is somewhat critical of the Biden administration.

All of these predictions about returning to normalcy are based upon when the person giving the prediction deems it acceptable to get back to normal. Even if it takes through August to vaccinate everybody who wishes to be vaccinated, how is there justification for not getting back to normal until 2022? Even if the vaccines don't slow transmission (which they likely do to some extent), they do appear to be extremely effective in preventing severe illness and death.

Of course there will always be some people who are vaccinated and end up getting a severe illness and very likely some very small percentage will die from it. However, once we've reached the point where everybody who wants to be vaccinated has been, there is absolutely no reason to do anything to try and protect the people who have elected not to be.

As long as the vaccines continue to prevent severe illness and death at a very high level of effectiveness (currently seeming like 99% or better by that metric), we should return to normal the day after the two week period has passed from the second shot of the last person who wants to be vaccinated.

I feel this way even if the vaccine isn't approved for 16 and under. The case fatality rate for 16 and under is less than .004% and the infection fatality rate is likely a lot lower than that. There are many things that people 16 and under are at higher risk of serious consequences or death than COVID.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
First of all, credit to the reporter for producing a balanced report that is somewhat critical of the Biden administration.

All of these predictions about returning to normalcy are based upon when the person giving the prediction deems it acceptable to get back to normal. Even if it takes through August to vaccinate everybody who wishes to be vaccinated, how is there justification for not getting back to normal until 2022? Even if the vaccines don't slow transmission (which they likely do to some extent), they do appear to be extremely effective in preventing severe illness and death.

Of course there will always be some people who are vaccinated and end up getting a severe illness and very likely some very small percentage will die from it. However, once we've reached the point where everybody who wants to be vaccinated has been, there is absolutely no reason to do anything to try and protect the people who have elected not to be.

As long as the vaccines continue to prevent severe illness and death at a very high level of effectiveness (currently seeming like 99% or better by that metric), we should return to normal the day after the two week period has passed from the second shot of the last person who wants to be vaccinated.

I feel this way even if the vaccine isn't approved for 16 and under. The case fatality rate for 16 and under is less than .004% and the infection fatality rate is likely a lot lower than that. There are many things that people 16 and under are at higher risk of serious consequences or death than COVID.

Predictions are always just that: moving targets.

I not going to be Megan McCain and tirade everyday about Fauci idiot proofing the situation.

Because the public has proven not to be able to make intelligent, uniform decisions.

It is what it is.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

If we will getting back to normal faster than 2022, they need to speed up vaccines by this summer, if April is might still happen if general public is still available to everyone for vaccines if J&J was approved as other vaccines getting approved then a lot of people will getting vaccinated sooner than longer. As Biden said if we will getting back to normal by this Christmas or end of summer/fall, vaccines needs go faster to ramp off to vaccine teachers, young adults and more this year faster!

Weather_Lady

NY just opened up vaccines for underlying medical conditions. After more than 12 hours of trying on Sunday (the day it opened) we finally got appts for the first week of March! So excited. Now we don't have to cancel our 5/1 Disney vacay, which has been cancelled 4x already! And we will happily wear masks and follow whatever rules there are, after being "shut down" from traveling for a year.
Congratulations! Fellow New Yorker here. It took me 3 hours of clicking, refreshing and sitting in online queues on Sunday to get my husband, and a tech-challenged eligible friend, vaccine appointments. (I'd already received the vaccine as part of the 1a group, due to a second job as a home health aide.) Our family has an August trip to Orlando booked and getting us (the adults anyway - our kids obviously can't at present) vaccinated was a prerequisite we set for ourselves. We're so grateful we'll be able to look forward to it now!

I'm glad your patience paid off! I hope your vaccinations go smoothly and are side-effect free.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom