News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Disneyhead'71

DisMOM: "Disney doesn't need to build ugly thrill seeking speed machines. Disney parks are "family" parks and need to stay that way!"

Same DisMOM to 14 year old son: "Why is all you want to do here at WDW is stay in the room and watch Netflix? Come to EPCOT with us, I got you a Frozen Ever After FP+. That's your sister's favorite ride."

Son: "I'd rather have a root canal". (pulls up velocicoaster POV on YouTube)

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I don't see why they couldn't build a coaster like Velocicoaster. It's themed well and is intense. I don't really understand why they can't have a bit of both.

It's not really well themed in Disney terms, though. It's almost impossible to theme a huge coaster -- something like Expedition Everest (which isn't huge or intense in overall coaster terms) is probably the best you can do. The other option is a ride like Revenge of the Mummy, which is a hybrid coaster/dark ride, but it's also not intense compared to something like the Velocicoaster.

That doesn't mean they couldn't build one, and one could probably fit in at DHS. It wouldn't be much different from SDD from a story/theme perspective. The bigger issue is the matter of space used vs. drawing potential. Building a coaster like that takes up a lot of space. SDD takes up a huge amount of space in DHS. If you're going to use up a significant amount of space that could have been used for something revenue producing like a restaurant and shops, or for another ride (or two) that might actually drive attendance long-term.

I'm pretty sure Disney has done the research and come to the conclusion that building something like the Velocicoaster just wouldn't benefit them. It wouldn't drive attendance (especially in the market they really cater to -- I think they'd prefer not to build many rides that most 6 year olds simply cannot ride) or produce revenue correspondent to the space it would occupy.

That's not to say something like the Velocicoaster won't drive attendance to Universal, because it probably will. But even Universal has a different core market than Disney.

lazyboy97o

DisMOM: "Disney doesn't need to build ugly thrill seeking speed machines. Disney parks are "family" parks and need to stay that way!"

Same DisMOM to 14 year old son: "Why is all you want to do here at WDW is stay in the room and watch Netflix? Come to EPCOT with us, I got you a Frozen Ever After FP+. That's your sister's favorite ride."

Son: "I'd rather have a root canal. (pulls up velocicoaster POV on YouTube)".
This is rich coming from the guy who was just claiming that Test Track is too extreme to be considered family friendly in defense of a slow “racing” ride with a higher height requirement.

UNCgolf

I know you're joking, but this is such a bizarre stereotype. Not every 14 year old boy only cares about thrill rides -- and generally speaking, if they only care about it as a 14 year old, then they also only cared about it as an 8 year old and it's the only thing they're going to care about as a 25 year old and a 45 year old too. That just means they're not really Disney's market audience and would be better off at Cedar Fair or a Six Flags. I have two nephews who are in that age range and they both absolutely loved WDW, and I loved WDW as a 14 year old too.

Considering Disney's attendance continues to increase and dwarfs most other parks, changing their whole business strategy doesn't seem like an especially good idea (although it could use changing in some areas, the types of rides they focus on isn't one of them).

Last edited:

rle4lunch

I know you're joking, but this is such a bizarre stereotype. Not every 14 year old boy only cares about thrill rides -- and generally speaking, if they only care about it as a 14 year old, then they also only cared about it as an 8 year old and it's the only thing they're going to care about as a 25 year old and a 45 year old too. That just means they're not really Disney's market audience and would be better off at Cedar Fair or a Six Flags. I have two nephews who are in that age range and they both absolutely loved WDW, and I loved WDW as a 14 year old too.

Considering Disney's attendance continues to increase and dwarfs most other parks, changing their whole business strategy doesn't seem like an especially good idea.

Disney would surely start losing out to Uni and others if all they offered was dumbo spinners and slow dark rides though. i get the whole diversification of offerings that they're going with, just not the park placements. they have to stay competitive.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
No but I think they should do something with the Stitch building instead. Put Tron in Epcot in Future world as it fits better then Guardians. If anything put an S&S space shot in Trons place.
3366EC6D-2D3F-4021-9CCB-60B27780DB63.jpg

aliceismad

Disney can't be all things to all people, and it shouldn't. If some people would prefer more thrills, great. That's why there are different parks, like Universal or Six Flags or Cedar Fair. Take them there. Or maybe let the kid miss out and be happy. Or maybe teach the kid to suck it up. We all have to do things in life that we don't like. Going on FEA with your little sister isn't really much of a sacrifice.

We have so many threads on here about what makes Disney magical, and is Disney losing the magic. Disney needs to make rides that retain that intangible, unquantifiable feeling that hooks people and makes them want to come back. (And apparently buy merch.)

UNCgolf

Disney would surely start losing out to Uni and others if all they offered was dumbo spinners and slow dark rides though. i get the whole diversification of offerings that they're going with, just not the park placements. they have to stay competitive.

I'm not sure they would -- there are huge numbers of people who don't care about coasters and the people who do are always going to have better options than WDW -- but that wasn't my argument anyways. Tron is fine. The location is bad and the ride could easily be a lot better, but I was talking more about giant, intense coasters like the Velocicoaster. I don't think that's feasible for Disney for multiple reasons and I also don't think they need to build anything remotely like it to maintain their status.

Building attractions like Rise of the Resistance is what keeps them ahead. Building huge coasters would just be chasing a market they're never going to win.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

This is rich coming from the guy who was just claiming that Test Track is too extreme to be considered family friendly in defense of a slow “racing” ride with a higher height requirement.

I do believe in that conversation we were discussing bulding an interactive dark ride using the Test Track system that would be suitable for 3-4 year olds. Not 14 year olds. Most 3 year olds can't even see out of the test track RV.

Considering Disney's attendance continues to increase and dwarfs most other parks, changing their whole business strategy doesn't seem like an especially good idea (even though it could use changing in some areas -- the types of rides they focus on isn't one of them).

Wait! But aren't Disney bulding, not one but, 2 thrill coasters at WDW as we speak? Just after opening a medium thrill family coaster in Toy Story Land? That came shortly after building 7DMT?

Disney can't be all things to all people, and it shouldn't. If some people would prefer more thrills, great. That's why there are different parks, like Universal or Six Flags or Cedar Fair. Take them there. Or maybe let the kid miss out and be happy. Or maybe teach the kid to suck it up. We all have to do things in life that we don't like. Going on FEA with your little sister isn't really much of a sacrifice.

We have so many threads on here about what makes Disney magical, and is Disney losing the magic. Disney needs to make rides that retain that intangible, unquantifiable feeling that hooks people and makes them want to come back. (And apparently buy merch.)

This argument drives me nuts.

You: How dare you want a "Cheeseburger" for lunch this is a gourmet restaurant. You tasteless heathens need to stick to McDonald's!!!"

Me: "But I want a Wagyu Beef burger with Maytag Bleu Cheese, caramelized onions, sherry grilled Portobello, and garlic aioli with a side of duck fat fried Parmesan Truffle Fries".

You: "Too bad. Eat your Big Mac and shut up."

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I get it. It's not highly themed its not a good ride. Sorry for ever bringing it up. I didn't think Disney fans had an elitist attitude til being on this board.

I personally don't see an issue with putting more thrilling rides into Disney. Make it something for everyone. All their thrill rides are just meh.
It’s not elitism. It’s you walking into a comedy and constantly asking and complaining about the lack of action scenes. If you prefer coasters and big thrill rides then go to places that serve that audience instead of constantly complaining that Disney isn’t changing to be more like what you want and playing the victim because everyone isn’t on board with your preference to change the parks into more of a thrilling amusement park instead theme park.

UNCgolf

Wait! But aren't Disney bulding, not one but, 2 thrill coasters at WDW as we speak? Just after opening a medium thrill family coaster in Toy Story Land? That came shortly after building 7DMT?

Not really?

SDD and 7DMT are family coasters. Tron is essentially a family coaster too -- it may have higher thrill/intensity levels, but it's not even remotely close to something like the Velocicoaster or Incredible Hulk at Universal; they're on a completely different level (and coasters at other parks are even more intense). I'm sure major coaster fans will scoff at Tron. It's also a clone of a ride they already built elsewhere, which is the biggest reason it's going in at WDW.

Guardians is kind of its own separate thing. It's an attempt at a themed story coaster which they have specifically called "family-friendly". It's almost certainly not going to have the intensity levels of something like Velocicoaster either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom