Trip Report The ONE with the Bowl that was not so Super šŸš½ 2/5-2/9, 2021*COMPLETED*

giphy.gif

HA HA HA!!!
Hello everybody! I returned yesterday from a last minute long weekend to WDW.
How? Who? Why? You ask. Well my Magical friends, here is everything you want to know, and maybe some things, you donā€™t.

It all began a few weeks ago at work when my bff/boss suggested we go to Disney for his birthday. I took him last year and we had a great time. We looked at dates and flights and room rates and hemmed and hawed for a couple days. We decided we would go Presidentā€™s weekend. But my kids would be out of school and they would want to go. Then, texting with @Tuvalu she said ā€œyouā€™re going presidentā€™s weekend!?!?šŸ˜³šŸ˜³šŸ˜³ā€

Ok, she didnā€™t say it like that but that is how I heard it in my mind. I said to my friend, M, ā€œwhat the heck are we thinking? Letā€™s go the weekend before.ā€ His sister/business partner/my other boss gave her blessing (then promptly booked a whole week in Florida for herself at the end of the month) and we started looking at rooms.
Pop was cheap with the AP discount so I booked.

We picked out our flights, then added a day and picked out new flights. Friday came, my day off and two weeks before departure and we had decided on everything. All we had to do was book the flights, which were $69 each way. Then I looked again and the flights were down to $49 each way. I texted M, ā€œBOOK BOOK BOOK! This is not a drill!!!ā€

Then Saturday came and I canceled Pop and booked a studio at Saratoga Springs Resort using my DVC points. Bought Mā€™s park ticket and made park reservations and some ADRā€™s. I also filled out the Magical Express request form and ordered a couple t-shirts.

13 days to go and we were all set.

Disstevefan1

Apology accepted? One other thing. Weā€™d like to thank you for letting us borrow a little bit of winter, but weā€™d really like it if you took it back now.
View attachment 532847

View attachment 532846

View attachment 532845

I know that 9 inches of snow and -2 degrees is like a warm spring morning for you guys, but at 7 am it was -4 degrees with a windchill of -20. That is the second coldest temperature ever recorded here, the coldest being -8 in the winter of 1899!
Looks like you could use some nice global warming right now...

amjt660

Premium Member
So what made us sick?

We donā€™t really know for sure so I never did call to report it. While the poutine seems like it could be the culprit I doubt it was. There were over twelve hours between when we ate the poutine and we got sick. Generally speaking, illness begins 3-8 hours after ingestion. (Size, metabolism etc play a role).

Dinner seems like the obvious choice but not the entrees. I did not try his burger and he did not try my brisket. Although he did point out that there was brisket in his burger. So maybe. But I donā€™t think so.

The strawberry drink? Perhaps.

Food poisoning has many causes. Sure, serving spoiled food is one cause but there is also cross contamination. A cook or bartender or server might not have washed his or her hands properly. Fresh fruit or veggies might have been contaminated at the farm with tainted water and not washed properly before serving. The water in the dishwasher might not be hot enough to disinfect the plates and flatware. And so on and so on.

Timing wise the cupcakes makes perfect sense but a cupcake is not usually a carrier of food borne illness (unless the people handling the cupcakes contaminated them).

We have landed on the French Fry appetizer as the most likely culprit but we donā€™t know for certain.
@Darstarr was just channeling her internal....

1613582778759.png

Max

Last edited:

Dr_dealio

Saturday February 6th, 2021

I have mentioned before that I am from SoCal originally. Californians are known to be pretentious. I mean, look at me with the SoCal.
would we schitts creek GIF by CBC

Anyhow, I am going to quote myself, please forgive me.

Saturday 3:00am

I awoke, not suddenly like one would from a bad dream but slowly with a feeling of dread, doom and pain, so much pain. My stomach! It was if there were something in there begging to get out. I tried to get up but it felt as if all my muscles had gelatinized. Keeping my eyes closed I pushed back the covers and willed myself to be strong. You are an athlete. You can do this. Nothing lasts forever. Nothing lasts forever. Nothing lasts...

I felt my way to my bedroom door, opened it quietly so not to wake M asleep in the living room, made a sharp right and opened the bathroom door, shutting it behind me. Nothing lasts forever. Then a left to open the door to the toilet. No time to clorox wipe anything. I fell to my knees, keeping my eyes closed and my face as far as I could I released the demons trying to escape my stomach. I sat on the floor gasping for breath. Nothing lasts forever. Again and again I forcefully ejected the contents my stomach found objectionable. Eyes still closed I flushed it down then uprighted myself and stumbled to the sink. I was shaking as I washed and dried my hands.

I opened the bathroom door and there was M.
ā€œDid I wake you?ā€
ā€œNo.ā€

I retreated into my bedroom and my half of the bathroom, the half with the tub and the gorgeous sink and the stupid closet that should be a second toilet! I fumbled around for my toothbrush, put some toothpaste on it and brushed my teeth. It felt as if there were something lodged in my throat. Oh my throat, it burned. It felt like road rash with a chunk of asphalt still embedded in it.

With trepidation I took a small sip of water. Mistake. Bed. I needed to lie down. But the bed was so far away. Nothing lasts forever. Nothing lasts forever.

Sleep was elusive and fitful. My body lay still but my mind raced. What the heck is this? Did I drink too much? No, thatā€™s not it. I felt fine before bed. FOOD POISONING! Who? What? Where? What time is it? RotR BG in a few hours. Nothing lasts forever. Sleep. Sleep damn it sleep.

Several times over the next couple hours in my semi sleep state I could hear M get up and make his way to the restroom. Just after 6:00am my stomach woke again, and was still angry albeit not as angry as before. M was in the bathroom and even if he wasnā€™t there was no way I was sticking my face near that bowl again. Nothing lasts forever.

Willpower was the answer. You will not throw up. I grabbed my phone and hustled into my half of the bathroom grabbing the brand new, never been used trash can and sat on the floor leaning against the tub. My body heaved a few times trying to dismiss every last poisonous crumb, but there was none remaining.

Shivering I checked the time. Boarding groups would be dropping in about 10 minutes. I had trained for this and even compromised I could do it. I restarted my phone and switched off wifi. Waiting for My Disney Experience to load I started to burn up. Sweat beaded up around my hairline, my heart thumped audibly, blood swished within my ears. I lay down on the cold tile floor nestling my cheek into the cool comfort. Nothing lasts forever.

Time check: 6:58.
What happens if I get an early boarding group? Can I do this? I donā€™t want to disappoint M. What is worse? Sorry I didnā€™t get it or I got it but I canā€™t go?
7:00
With trembling hands I pushed the join now button then the next join button. I had trained for this. It circled, then it circled again I knew it was too late before the red screen appeared telling me the groups were full. Relief washed over me but it was quickly replaced by nausea. I sat on the floor leaning against the tub with the trash can between my legs.

I needed to tell M so he didnā€™t get up and start getting ready. But I could not stand. My muscles were too weak, my body shaking, switching between shivers and sweats. I crawled to the bedroom door and opened it from the floor. Exhausted I slumped over to regain my strength.
ā€œM???ā€, I called quietly, my throat burning with every syllable.
ā€œI didnā€™t get the boarding group.ā€

M walked over to where I was sprawled on the floor.
ā€œYou okay?ā€ he asked.
ā€œI think I have food poioning and I feel like sh..ā€
ā€œMe too,ā€ he responded, ā€œI have been in the bathroom all night. But I feel a little better now. Can I get you anything?ā€

I must have felt a little better too. I asked for a bag from our groceries so I could line the trash can in case I got sick again. I did not want to ruin a brand new trash can. Even ill I have priorities.

ā€œLets sleep another hour and see how we feel. We donā€™t have a boarding group so we can head to Hollywood anytime we want.ā€

Nothing lasts forever
Like a few others, I never reply or report here. But, what happened to the whole, if your sick - stay away - requirement?

Loco_driver

As much as I can look that snow and temps and not be impressed I do genuinely feel bad for all you Texans. You guys just arenā€™t equipped for this clothing and infrastructure-wise. Hope it warms up soon.

How did Pickle like the snow?
Weā€™re holding up ok I guess. Iā€˜ve been stuck here at the office helping the dot try to at least clear a lane on the interstate since Sunday morning(the road home is impassible). A is at home with the pups, but has power and water at the moment so thatā€™s a good thing. Hoping to start thawing on Friday and Saturday.

Pickle gets really excited about snow for about 5 minutes then sheā€™s done. Our Lab, Belle, absolutely loves it though.
9026B587-35D5-40CE-9D3B-B36B28BAF3B7.jpeg

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Saturday February 6 cont

After our purposefully bland lunch I went to the front desk. My oldest son, X was coming later with a friend, or two or three? X plus one we could handle. X would share the king with me and the plus one was bringing an air mattress. But every single time I spoke to X the cast of characters changed so I had not done anything to prepare for them/him.

I met up with Corinne at the front desk. I explained, ā€œmy son is coming and may bring a couple friends. Our room only sleeps 4, so, since we are in the one bedroom part of a lockoff I was wondering if the connecting studio is available and if I would be able to pay cash?ā€ Corinne handed me off to Jean and I explained again. I also told him I wasnā€™t positive what I was doing but wanted to know my options.

Jean checked his computer and verified the room was indeed empty. He explained I would have to call the reservation number as they were not allowed to do cash reservations at the front desk. He assured me he put a hold on the room and if I needed it it would be there.

I thanked him and M and I walked outside. I told M we had to get ā€œthe horse pictureā€ everyone gets when at SSR. But instead I sat on a bench just outside the Carriage House and called my son to see if they were on the road and what the head count was.

Jean came running out, ā€œHANG UP! HANG UP!ā€
I told X I would call him back.
I told Jean that I was talking to my son.
ā€œOhā€, he said, ā€œI thought you were calling reservations and I am going to make some magic for you!ā€
I was speechless.
Long story short:
They ended up giving me the two bedroom preferred room and I only paid (in points) for a studio non-preferred. And I hadnā€™t even played the food poisoning card!

I purchased one day park hoppers for the boys and thanked everyone a million times.
I had brought one of Xā€™s magic bands but the other two boys got these.
37856CE4-5375-4B83-A01D-D265167AF89A.jpeg

Then, M and I took our horse picture. I called my son to get his ETA and face timed my husband to tell him about the amazing pixie dusting I had just gotten. Then I texted a good friend who was also in WDW and made a plan to meet up.
9D418ECE-E2F0-4CE0-BA83-0A0D5BE91E06.jpeg

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Saturday February 6th cont

We meandered around the resort a little then headed back to the two bedroom. We tried our magic bands and the boyā€™s cards on the second door. They all worked!!!

Now for pictures of the studio portion of the two bedroom lockoff. ( @Dory71 and @Nunu room pix! )
6A526551-40D2-4884-A0F7-C54352A3521C.jpeg

6D27D7F4-2E6A-4929-A593-1B965430EDBB.jpeg

0E296A0F-2F13-4E74-8129-743C0CC52D02.jpeg

5E5FC72F-FCED-46CE-833D-93C597D5B551.jpeg

Looking back into the living room of the one bedroom.
ADF9FC2E-78AD-4880-9452-0A51DE352316.jpeg

FF2D9452-ACC5-4839-B8B2-854E1CA3B39E.jpeg

79DB5E5D-BFB4-41BB-ADEA-73AB84AF6D5A.jpeg

PacNWTigger

Kricket & Jaeger snow.jpg

We are in Oregon/Washington, and our puppies enjoyed the snow while it was here. Kricket more than Jaeger though. We got about a foot, and normally we will only get a couple of inches once or twice during the winter.
Weā€™re holding up ok I guess. Iā€˜ve been stuck here at the office helping the dot try to at least clear a lane on the interstate since Sunday morning(the road home is impassible). A is at home with the pups, but has power and water at the moment so thatā€™s a good thing. Hoping to start thawing on Friday and Saturday.

Pickle gets really excited about snow for about 5 minutes then sheā€™s done. Our Lab, Belle, absolutely loves it though.
View attachment 532955
That's a crazy amount of snow for Texas!!! Belle looks like she is having a blast!!!

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member

View attachment 532955

Glad you are all ok. That must suck to be stuck at work though.

Our dog likes the snow about as much as Pickle. Sheā€™s real excited to go out but then immediately looks like she regrets it.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member

We meandered around the resort a little then headed back to the two bedroom. We tried our magic bands and the boyā€™s cards on the second door. They all worked!!!

Now for pictures of the studio portion of the two bedroom lockoff. ( @Dory71 and @Nunu room pix! )
View attachment 532984
View attachment 532985
View attachment 532988
View attachment 532989
Looking back into the living room of the one bedroom.
View attachment 532990
View attachment 532986
View attachment 532987

I feel like this is controversial (in WDW circles) but I really have been liking all of these room renovations. Everything looks so light and inviting and I like the subtle Disney rather than it being in your face.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No

M and I then got on a bus to MK...
60DEC88D-FF0D-454D-A24B-FED997738E1C.jpeg

Then a boat to the Grand Floridian...
09CE267F-E9DC-4B88-A078-217C127D42C2.jpeg

Where my good friend, True Value er @Tuvalu was waiting for us.

We picked a nice quiet table overlooking the water, away from everyone and chatted it up!!
She got me the most adorable socks. (Trunk up for luck šŸ˜) and I got her a hat (because if you know Tuvalu, you know she DOES NOT wear hats).
92D131A9-62D5-41A6-822E-B756D5544662.jpeg

It started to rain, we simply found a table with an umbrella.
Eventually, she had to get back to her family. She walked us to the main building where we caught the monorail to the Contemporary.

It was the perfect adventure for our worn out bodies. Tuvalu helped replenish our minds and souls! Until next timešŸ˜˜ my True Value!!!

Once at the Contemporary I asked M if he was hungry. We checked out the menu for the Contempo cafe. M was so excited when he saw the meatlovers flat bread.
AA579BC5-4766-41E5-A74B-BDC65EBCE737.jpeg

I guess he was feeling better.

I got the spicy chicken sandwich but did not go near those friesā˜ ļø
96CD387B-4979-4B3A-A2B9-5CD6B5B58398.jpeg

And guess what?
They had yellow poweraid! I could not believe it. Things were looking up!

After dinner I told M we could get a Pandora charm for his niece (the famous R from September).
He asked, ā€œshould we wait until we go to Magic Kingdom tomorrow?ā€
ā€œWould you rather wait in line now, or at Magic Kingdom?ā€

He bought three of these:
9860FF5F-12CE-4E13-A4F0-3ECF36215849.jpeg

One for R, one for her sister, and one for mešŸ˜Ž

We hopped on the monorail and headed around to the MK where we caught a bus back to Saratoga. While on the bus X called me.
ā€œWhere are you? We are here.ā€
I explained where the room was, told him exactly where to park (right outside our room-spoiler: he didnā€™t) and told him we would be there in 20 minutes. Then he remembered he could open the door with the app.
83CCC9C3-FB82-40D9-987B-D9780D928886.jpeg

They were starving so I sent them to the Carriage House with a gift card. X and his GF went to WDW back in December for their xmas gift so he knew all about the mobile ordering thing.

Then the boys took their laptops to the pool to swim and do homework. I went to sleep. I needed sleep!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I feel like this is controversial (in WDW circles) but I really have been liking all of these room renovations. Everything looks so light and inviting and I like the subtle Disney rather than it being in your face.
I agree. And Saratogaā€™s theme is pretty weak to begin with so I would rather have a beautiful and comfortable room than a room covered in IP. (Funny, people also complain Disney relies on too much IPšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø)

I told M how many people are bashing the room renovations and saying it looks like a Holiday Inn.
M said, ā€œthis does NOT look like a holiday inn.ā€ (His fam stays in holiday inns when they travelšŸ˜‰)

tommcp516

What a great pic of the two of you!

And wow--what an amazing day: a major pixie-dust room upgrade, PLUS a Tuvalu meetup/gift exchange!! So glad that things starting turning around for you after the horrible way the trip started.

I like the Pandora charm that M bought for the famous R. I'm assuming it's made of metal so I'm looking forward in the future to reading about all the times she forgets about it and gets pulled out of line for a security screening... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom