What did you do?

Swissmiss

Premium Member
So 10 days ago I was taking a few steps backwards from the entrance to a bagel shop and didn't realize that there was something behind me and I tripped and fell HARD on a metal umbrella stand. I landed with the pole in the back of my upper thigh. Couldn't sit for a few days from the bruising. When that healed, I realized I still had a lot of pain in the muscle in that area too, and I've been running a lot slower although the effort feels the same. Must have done some internal damage too. Ugh. I wonder how long that will take to heal.
But on the bright side, I got so tired of the aches and pains my new ASICs were causing that I bought a new pair of Nikes (my usual brand but a new model - Zoom Structure) and I love them. At least now my thigh injury is the only thing that hurts.

Congrats @Demarke on your marathon and your 2020 stats.

Hope it all starts feeling better soon - what an awful fall!

Surferboy567

So 10 days ago I was taking a few steps backwards from the entrance to a bagel shop and didn't realize that there was something behind me and I tripped and fell HARD on a metal umbrella stand. I landed with the pole in the back of my upper thigh. Couldn't sit for a few days from the bruising. When that healed, I realized I still had a lot of pain in the muscle in that area too, and I've been running a lot slower although the effort feels the same. Must have done some internal damage too. Ugh. I wonder how long that will take to heal.
But on the bright side, I got so tired of the aches and pains my new ASICs were causing that I bought a new pair of Nikes (my usual brand but a new model - Zoom Structure) and I love them. At least now my thigh injury is the only thing that hurts.

Congrats @Demarke on your marathon and your 2020 stats.
Feel better, go easy on yourself while you heal.

Surferboy567

This morning, I completed another maintenance walk (and my last) at least for Fairytale Challenge training. In preparation for my long run tomorrow. This was done on the treadmill.

Time: 01:28:06
Distance: 5.02
Avg Pace: 17:33

Surferboy567

Well guys, I finally completed my final long run of the training plan. It is my longest run ever, and it was all done on the treadmill. Next week is (thankfully) a recovery week and the week after is what I have been training for the Fairytale Challenge.

Since this was an extra long run I wanted to make it a little fun, so for the first 11.50 miles (ish) I recorded the run on my normal app. For the final 2.5 (ish) miles I wanted to try Zwift it’s basically a giant video game for runners. Since, I did this the data is fragmented between two files but I am going to do my best to combine it using rough math.

Time: 03:06:00 (rounded)
Distance: 14
Avg Pace: 13:17 (ish) this pace isn’t entirely accurate it’s probably a tad faster then this but thanks to my rough math it is at least close.

EPCOT-O.G.

Did 3.5 miles this morning, about 12 min pace. Not where I want to be, but have had lingering posterior tibial/arch issues and haven’t been able to run consistently for years. Now I’m slowly edging up again, getting in 3-4 runs per week. Looking to get to running doing 6 miles consistently pain-free, and, if that works, signing up for the (hopefully) in-person WDW half marathon 2022.

Surferboy567

Today marks the beginning of Week 17 of Fairytale Challenge Training! I honestly, can’t believe I have been training for that long but here we are. The final week of recovery in this training plan. From my last update, we were hit with another round of unfortunate weather. It is looking more and more likely my Fairytale Challenge will be done on the treadmill. Honestly, I am at the point where I enjoy outdoor running much more but am starting to get into a groove for the treadmill.

Today’s maintenance run I wanted to test my actual race day speed on the treadmill. What I did was cutout my usual gradual speed bump up and just started at my normal race walk speed. I then swapped intervals like I normally do throughout the run. Which yielded me these results that I found particularly impressive.

Time: 42:37
Distance: 3.49
Avg Pace: 12:12

If everything goes as I think it will and I do in fact run these races on the treadmill I feel the final results will be comparable to my outdoor attempts. It is also worth noting that in the treadmill, the more time I run the faster I get because more of the 15 second run intervals are factored into the pace. Anyways, I found the data encouraging and definitely will enable me to race inside if I have to. It is also worth noting that about 30 minutes into the run I had to pause for a little then shortly resumed.

dreamfinder

If everything goes as I think it will and I do in fact run these races on the treadmill I feel the final results will be comparable to my outdoor attempts. It is also worth noting that in the treadmill, the more time I run the faster I get because more of the 15 second run intervals are factored into the pace. Anyways, I found the data encouraging and definitely will enable me to race inside if I have to. It is also worth noting that about 30 minutes into the run I had to pause for a little then shortly resumed.
The theory goes, bump up the incline to 1 or 2%. That gets the work much closer to what you would do outside. The pull of the belt makes it slightly easier to run on the treadmill, and the incline offsets that.
100% humidity, 68 degrees and thick fog. 30 minutes of 8:2 keeping my HR under 155. My pace suffered this morning but that's ok.
Think it was 4 degrees outside this morning. ; ) Waiting for them to plow some of the side roads so I can get another run in.

Surferboy567

Tonight, I completed another maintenance run. For the 1st mile I put the incline to 1.0. It felt definitely harder then my normal route, which is normally relatively flat. So after the 1st mile I put the incline back down.

Here are the stats for tonight’s maintenance run:

Time: 42:43
Distance: 3.47
Avg Pace: 12:17

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
End of another week of comeback/half training. 30 minutes (34 actually) of 10:2 intervals 12-14:00 pace and average HR 155 or less. another 68 degree run in 90% humidity with no breeze...was VERY wet.

Surferboy567

Today, I completed the last of my recovery long runs! At least for this training plan (it will all begin anew after Princess). Here are the stats for this mornings long run, done on the treadmill.

Time: 47:48
Distance: 4.01
Avg Pace: 11:54

With the last recovery run in the books, that leaves just one maintenance run left until the main event Fairytale Challenge! The plan still stands, I plan to run it on the day alongside everyone (virtually of course). How I will be running is still up in the air depending on the weather. As it stands right now, and most likely I will probably be doing the entire challenge and 5K on the treadmill. I hope the weather can be ideal enough to run outside in a week but given the weather we have been having lately I find that to be unlikely. I am fine running outside in lots of conditions but ice is not one of them.

As for the stats recorded on the treadmill, I think they are fairly accurate. They definitely aren’t perfect but they should get the job done. The issue is my current treadmill is quite old, and I am fairly sure the readings it gives off are inaccurate as a result. This is why I use my Apple Watch to record all my runs inside and out. So it is a level playing field across the board. The pace recorded above seems fast but I would wager it is fairly accurate. Maybe it is closer to 12:00 for the Avg Pace but given me monitoring my heart rate throughout today’s run as well as keeping a close eye on speed and incline I’d say it’s fairly close. Not perfect but close. It is also nice to see, that my indoor treadmill training speed is very close to my outdoor running speed. A couple of months ago this wasn’t possible.

EDIT: Oh, and something I forgot given that I am also doing the 5K on Friday next week’s training will look a little different to reflect race weekend. Instead of two maintenance runs their will only be one. Their will also not be any long runs because of the races.

Last edited:

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Participated in my second POW 50k (or as the organizer puts it, “the world’s longest 50k!” because, at 34 miles, it’s actually 54.7!), at a former army camp in the Carolina foothills that turned into a state park. I ran with my Bud (abbreviated Budweiser) cap in memory of my grandpa Bud who was a POW for a period in WWII and then celebrated drinking one after the finish.

I don’t think my legs have ever been this sore, it was 34F (high of 36!) and rained about 80% of the day, so the the 8.5 mile loop was ankle deep water and mud (or deeper) for the majority of the course (not an exaggeration) and got sloppier and slipperier with each loop as a hundred or so runners churned it up!

In dry conditions, I figured it would probably be an 8 hour event for me with all the elevation change (although, I did manage to keep that pace for two laps 😁), but turned into about 9:30:00 and I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy to take a bath and collapse in bed once I got back home!

Lot’s of fun, but I think I’m going to take a few days off, haha!

7A3D03E1-2922-47DB-80D4-6DBE892709EE.jpegDFC3B2E2-7B7E-4801-BDC3-6B7622FFF00C.jpeg20B6F8C9-2139-45EE-8DE9-5A39AF91A57A.jpeg8B6F25BF-A30D-4003-91DB-2B51819299E0.jpegF7D39FEA-802E-4869-80EB-B6580F92492A.jpeg82D87E7A-95AF-4D9F-A8B7-0AE8A1808B56.jpeg2382C070-2962-473D-843E-F25383FD3A5E.jpeg90F30AD6-C7E8-4261-BBC0-7D4ABE9E824F.jpeg39E12EE8-72EE-44D1-95C6-3995AC300B4A.jpeg76A4598E-DA03-4F0E-8F63-9150F297464A.jpeg

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Participated in my second POW 50k (or as the organizer puts it, “the world’s longest 50k!” because, at 34 miles, it’s actually 54.7!), at a former army camp in the Carolina foothills that turned into a state park. I ran with my Bud (abbreviated Budweiser) cap in memory of my grandpa Bud who was a POW for a period in WWII and then celebrated drinking one after the finish.

I don’t think my legs have ever been this sore, it was 34F (high of 36!) and rained about 80% of the day, so the the 8.5 mile loop was ankle deep water and mud (or deeper) for the majority of the course (not an exaggeration) and got sloppier and slipperier with each loop as a hundred or so runners churned it up!

In dry conditions, I figured it would probably be an 8 hour event for me with all the elevation change (although, I did manage to keep that pace for two laps 😁), but turned into about 9:30:00 and I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy to take a bath and collapse in bed once I got back home!

View attachment 532128View attachment 532120View attachment 532121View attachment 532122View attachment 532123View attachment 532124View attachment 532125View attachment 532126View attachment 532127View attachment 532130
Congratulations! That’s quite a feat in good conditions, but all the more impressive seeing from your pictures how muddy and wet it was!

Surferboy567

View attachment 532128View attachment 532120View attachment 532121View attachment 532122View attachment 532123View attachment 532124View attachment 532125View attachment 532126View attachment 532127View attachment 532130
Congrats!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom