Who else loves and miss the Spectromen from Spectromagic?

brb1006

Original Poster
do you have photos of the spectromen

they were androids do you have photos of them

i liked them cause they were robots do you have photos of them
Untitled-018ed-L.jpg

Spectromagic92%20-003ed1-L.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

brb1006

Original Poster
This should do it, they also sang live and had microphones in their masks from what I have been told and their voices were enhanced with effects

Actually their voices were pre-recorded, they were originally given electronic style voices before being changed to sounding more natural around mid to late 1996.

brb1006

Original Poster
There’s plenty out there. I believe the 4 ball loops also got out.

I‘m more interested in none crunched source of the original trumpet track.
For those unaware, during Spectromagic earliest days in 1991. The trumpet float used to be located near the grand finale with the Disney Character after the Fantasia unit. During this brief period, the trumpet float's music sounded closer to the standard version that was brought back in late 1996. However, the original trumpet track had some differences.

(skip to mark 12:49-13:10)

There was another video from the same period where you heard the original trumpet track much longer. But it was sadly deleted at an unknown period.

A few months later, the trumpet unit was moved to the very beginning where it served as the introduction to the parade and had a completely different soundtrack which lasted until mid 1996. Also during the same period the Trumpet float was at the finale, King Tritan used to be heard laughing.

brb1006

Original Poster
The original trumpets were so much better than the 2nd version, as well as the Spectromen.
Actually there were three different versions of the trumpet float's soundtrack during the parades run.

Version 1 from its first couple of weeks (which is very rare to find)

Version 2 from late 1991 till early 1996

Version 3 which is an updated version of the original trumpet track.

The original version had some of the music that would be brought back in mid/late 1996. But had different cues (such as a brief pause, and an extended tune that wouldn't be brought back in late 1996) and the tune wasn't as high. This version is very rare to find online, besides a single video from its oldest incarnation. There was another video uploaded a few years ago but is now privated.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Actually there were three different versions of the trumpet float's soundtrack during the parades run.

The original version had some of the music that would be brought back in mid/late 1996. But had different cues (such as a brief pause, and an extended tune that wouldn't be brought back in late 1996) and the tune wasn't as high. This version is very rare to find online, besides a single video from its oldest incarnation. There was another video uploaded a few years ago but is now privated.

A snippet of version one

brb1006

Original Poster
A snippet of version one

Yep, while the other video has since been privated. I remember after they finished playing a brief tune of "When You Wish Upon A Star" but before performing "It's A Small World". The Spectromen would play a tune that was more triumphant and took 5 second break as they greet the crowd before playing "It's A Small World". As a I watching the now deleted video, I noticed that the Trumpet's music actually mashes well with the "On This Magic Night" and "Music Surround Us" that can be heard in the distance.

yensid67

Disney has LIED to its guests for MANY YEARS about different things!

SPECTROMAGIC: when it was axed, Disney said it was because it was OUTDATED. THIS is DISNEY you can SIMPLY rehab the floats and make them almost brand new with all their know how

LIGHTS OF WINTER AT EPCOT: They said they were OBSOLETE! They sat adjacent to the Epcot parking lot, wrapped in plastic deteriorating until the were trashed! AGAIN, rebuild them and make them LED! How hard is it to replace with LED lighting? That was a beloved extra that is missed by all!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

A snippet of version one

Do we have a running time for the three versions? I’ll have to watch these at some point, I’m curious now.

KaliSplash

Just for the record. Spectro was NOT my favorite parade. Because of the music. It was ploddingly majestic. It is actually a Waltz ( you can count out the beat). Not good parade music. MSEP, on the other hand, was Perfect for a parade.

danyoung56

LIGHTS OF WINTER AT EPCOT: They said they were OBSOLETE! They sat adjacent to the Epcot parking lot, wrapped in plastic deteriorating until the were trashed! AGAIN, rebuild them and make them LED! How hard is it to replace with LED lighting? That was a beloved extra that is missed by all!

Not exactly. The story I heard was that the lighting controller broke, was outdated and un-fixable, and would require both a new controller and all new lights. In the end it was deemed too costly to fix. Now, I disagree with that, and really miss it. But I don't recall any type of lie from Disney about it.

yensid67

Not exactly. The story I heard was that the lighting controller broke, was outdated and un-fixable, and would require both a new controller and all new lights. In the end it was deemed too costly to fix. Now, I disagree with that, and really miss it. But I don't recall any type of lie from Disney about it.
That is the 'story' I heard. And YES I saw the arches wrapped in white with my own eyes! There was NO MISTAKE as to what was lying under those white wraps! IF you saw them you could actually reconstruct the arches in your mind!

brb1006

Original Poster
Do we have a running time for the three versions? I’ll have to watch these at some point, I’m curious now.
For Version 1 from its first couple of weeks (which Martin posted) can be heard at the 12:50 mark.

Version 2 from late 1991 till early 1996 can be heard at 1:49 mark

And Version 3 at 0:20

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom