I want to start planning my August trip, but.....

DiSnEyF@n

Hi all... Happy new year!!!!!!
I want to put in a request through DVCrentalstore.com for BWV or BCV for a week in august, but I’m apprehensive bc of covid. I'm very confident that we’ll be going (regardless) bc we didn’t go in 2020 AND bc I think the worst will be behind us by then, but I’m still worried. What would you do?
Should I just book it or should I hold off a bit - but I don’t want to miss out on available rooms...

Your thought? Thanks

Schweino

When you say "because covid" - what is your real concern? Is it you don't want to risk catching covid, or you are not excited about Disney's current offerings because of covid?

We went the week after Thanksgiving for 8 nights and we felt safe. Distancing and plenty of sanitizer to go around. If you are more concerned about missing experiences that are not there currently, I am not sure it will all be back up by August considering Disney's financial struggles.

IMHO the only safe answer is to wait for '22.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I'd like to start booking for August too and the reason I'm not is more due to resorts I'm looking at still aren't open to book.

I guess I don't understand what you're really worried about.
If you are going regardless of whatever restrictions and rules are in place and what's going on with the virus then book it.
If you're worried Disney will shut down... wouldn't you get your money back?

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Book it now. If things stay restricted and Disney holds numbers back, youll certainly miss out on getting the room you want. People are getting tired of staying isolated and are starting to do more and feeling less vulnerable. Disneys taking safety precautions and by caring of yourself, you shouldnt have anything to worry about. I think by next summer Disney will probably have guests starving to go back. Dont get locked out. You have plenty of time to assess whats going on as time progresses and make a firm decision to go or cancel. Besides... it will give you something positive in planning and to look forward to

Upvote 0

me_stitch

Premium Member
I just booked for late August, I'm going no matter what. If you have concerns, you can always book now and you would have until 30 days prior to your trip to cancel so start planning. ;)

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I just booked for late August, I'm going no matter what. If you have concerns, you can always book now and you would have until 30 days prior to your trip to cancel so start planning. ;)

I believe renting DVC points from a 3rd party is a bit different as far as cancellation goes.
But OP makes it seem like unless Disney closes they will be going and if Disney closes I imagine refunds would be issued no matter where you book it.

Upvote 1

nickys

Premium Member
I believe renting DVC points from a 3rd party is a bit different as far as cancellation goes.
But OP makes it seem like unless Disney closes they will be going and if Disney closes I imagine refunds would be issued no matter where you book it.
The rental companies all seem to now be offering vouchers if the resorts close. Which is fine - assuming the company survives of course. However if the resorts are open but the parks are closed then I’m fairly sure the terms say there would be no refund vouchers issued.

Renting points has always carried a certain risk. 2020 showed this much more starkly, and not just for those who rented points but also owners.

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I think I’m going to book something through Disney... that way at least I can secure what I want and where I want and can cancel if I need to. Thanks so much for the comments everyone! I appreciate everyone’s input!

Upvote 0

Buck Wheelie

We cancelled two trips in 2020 due to Covid. We now have reservations for Thanksgiving week and think it will be better (I hope). I'm not an anti mask person but it didn't seem like a good vacations to wear a mask in the Florida heat 12+ hours a day. If the vaccinations go as planned the pandemic should subside sometime mid year but that's just my opinion. If Covid is still a major problem at Thanksgiving we probably have bigger problems than worrying about a vacation.

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
We cancelled two trips in 2020 due to Covid. We now have reservations for Thanksgiving week and think it will be better (I hope). I'm not an anti mask person but it didn't seem like a good vacations to wear a mask in the Florida heat 12+ hours a day. If the vaccinations go as planned the pandemic should subside sometime mid year but that's just my opinion. If Covid is still a major problem at Thanksgiving we probably have bigger problems than worrying about a vacation.
True.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Can you find vacation insurance to cover the nonrefundable costs? I think we used to get some from Travelguard for our DVC rentals. If you can, I'd say go for it!

Confession: my family of 4 is booked already - a combo Universal/WDW trip for mid-late August. However, we will cancel if DH hasn't been vaccinated at that point. (He has a preexisting respiratory condition but isn't eligible for the Covid vaccine yet in our home state of NY - I've already been, thanks to working a second job as a home health aide.) Because this trip is tenuous, we were careful to make sure that all aspects - flights, ground transportation, hotels, and tickets - could be canceled or rescheduled without penalty up until a few weeks before we're supposed to travel.

We've barely gone anywhere (outside of work or school) for a year now. Having an upcoming vacation to look forward to and dream about - even if it isn't set in stone and might have to be pushed back - has done wonders for our whole family's mental health!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ilovelabs2021

We are going in July. My husband and I are teachers and this school year has taken its toll on us and our two kids, never mind the isolation. We need some normalcy, and what better way than Disney to give that to us! I know it won't be exactly like our previous trips, but that's ok! I am sure there is still magic to be found! We live in MA, and teachers are slated to be able to the get the first dose of the vaccine this month, so we will both be vaccinated by our trip, which was a requirement for me to even consider it. This trip is a surprise for my kids and my husband! Not sure when I will tell them, but I can tell you that I feel a sense of elation that I haven't felt in a long time knowing we have this trip coming up!

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
We are going in July. My husband and I are teachers and this school year has taken its toll on us and our two kids, never mind the isolation. We need some normalcy, and what better way than Disney to give that to us! I know it won't be exactly like our previous trips, but that's ok! I am sure there is still magic to be found! We live in MA, and teachers are slated to be able to the get the first dose of the vaccine this month, so we will both be vaccinated by our trip, which was a requirement for me to even consider it. This trip is a surprise for my kids and my husband! Not sure when I will tell them, but I can tell you that I feel a sense of elation that I haven't felt in a long time knowing we have this trip coming up!
I love this! Thanks for sharing! I’m also a teacher. I think we’ll probably wind up going. I really appreciate your positivity.

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Can you find vacation insurance to cover the nonrefundable costs? I think we used to get some from Travelguard for our DVC rentals. If you can, I'd say go for it!

Confession: my family of 4 is booked already - a combo Universal/WDW trip for mid-late August. However, we will cancel if DH hasn't been vaccinated at that point. (He has a preexisting respiratory condition but isn't eligible for the Covid vaccine yet in our home state of NY - I've already been, thanks to working a second job as a home health aide.) Because this trip is tenuous, we were careful to make sure that all aspects - flights, ground transportation, hotels, and tickets - could be canceled or rescheduled without penalty up until a few weeks before we're supposed to travel.

We've barely gone anywhere (outside of work or school) for a year now. Having an upcoming vacation to look forward to and dream about - even if it isn't set in stone and might have to be pushed back - has done wonders for our whole family's mental health!
We also go during August. I am loving the idea of universal and Disney mix as we have not done universal... ever.... can you tell me more about your plans. I’m curious... thanks!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom