Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Too many if's and's + butts about "immunity. How long it lasts, the level of immunity, to what variant etc. The vaccine passport idea is nice for international travel or boarding floating Petri dishes, sorry, I mean Cruise Ships. For interstate travel and day to day activities it is prudent, commons sense, only reasonable to maintain the facemask and other protocols currently in place. When anyone can go to Walgreens, CVS or any other such location and receive the COVID19 vaccine on request without all the red tape currently in place and the infection numbers actually decline the protocols can then be reviewed.
Exactly. My hope is that by May/June timeframe all Americans 12 and up will be eligible for the vaccine and supply will be readily available. If the companies reach their targets we will get there. There are roughly 280M Americans 12 and older but realistically not everyone will get the vaccine. Pfizer has recently said their first 200M doses will be delivered by end of May (enough for 100M people). JnJ has said their first 100M doses would be delivered maybe as early as the end of April but definitely by end of May and that’s a 1 shot vaccine so 100M people. Moderna is still projecting 100M by end of March and second 100M by end of June. Assuming an even rollout by the end of May Moderna should have delivered 166M doses (enough for 83M people). So doing the quick math that’s enough doses for 283M people by the end of May. That covers 100% of all Americans 12 and older. As 11 and under kids get approved we should have a stockpile of extra Pfizer doses for them since they are the most likely to be approved first.

If vaccine acceptance levels reach the 80% that recent polling suggests we should have about 224M Americans fully vaccinated by the end of May or early in June if some still need their second shot. That’s close to 70% of the total population and unvaccinated will be heavily skewed to kids under 12 which may or may not spread the virus as easily as adults. They certainly don’t get as sick in general. I think there’s a good chance that we see the impact of vaccines well before we hit 200M+ vaccinated. I am hopeful that cases spiral downward and if we continue with mitigation and also take 2/3 of the population out of the pool who can be infected we should see cases flatline in a matter of weeks not months. I don’t think we go back to 100% no restrictions on June 1, but I think we start pulling back restrictions at some point this Spring and as long as cases don’t spike we continue that pull back. Just like the way the reopening plans last May were supposed to work only this time hopefully due to the vaccine there’s no massive spike in cases like last summer.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Agree.

So if the vaccine fails to reduce community spread for some reason, we should allow people who provide proof of vaccination special privileges of reduced mitigation even though community spread is still high?

This is where I get lost. The second part doesn’t agree with the first.

If the vaccine fails to reduce community spread, we’re kind of screwed, because we’ve failed to reduce spread. We know we’re bad at using other tools to reduce spread enough, so far. Trying to give special rights to some while spread is still high in that scenario is directly the opposite the first statement that nobody does it while spread is high.

And now we’re back to my first post in this sub thread. Whats the value, risk, and who takes the fall when it breaks? If we cannot answer those, there’s even less reason.

I get why Ticketmaster or the NFL want to find a way to increase business, but that doesn’t make it god public health. While it might be good short term, it’ll probably be much worse long term. Just like the entire last year. Kind of like giving out antibiotics like candy starts good, but then leads to resistant bacteria long term.
If the vaccine fails due to lack of people taking it then yes, it makes a lot of sense. If it fails due to a variant that is resistant to the vaccine that’s a different story.

If say 50% of people take the vaccine and 50% don‘t and it’s October when all people have full access to a vaccine then I see no reason why the half that are vaccinated can’t go to a concert, an NFL game or WDW without masks and distancing. The vaccines aren’t perfect but if you only admit people who are vaccinated the chance of spread is very low. It may add a little to total cases but it may also act as a huge carrot to get the other 50% on board.

JoeCamel

Can't get people to wear a mask and the proposition is to force them to wear a hideous hat? Yeah, that's gonna work. "I have a medical/moral/other reason that prevents me from wearing a hat. How about tin foil?
Tattoo a "V" on their forehead and we can all relive our high school days

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If spread is low, nobody will listen to mitigation. Why would they, spread is low.

The trick will be for public health to stay on top of identification, trace, and isolation if infection shows back up for whatever reason. Could be immunity longevity, could be unvaccinated, or mutation, but doesn’t matter why. These are systems we need to invest support in.

Unless I’m confused...that was EXACTLY what the health experts that were shouted down said had to be done last March?

Dad 2 M & M

Every day, I see my own personal vaccination date being pushed further into the future...due to antics like this:

"State health officials acknowledged that 3,344 doses as of Wednesday were spoiled because of damaged vials or lack of use before the medicine went bad."

There is NO EXCUSE for allowing vaccine doses to expire. None.
No show(s)? What should the consequence be to no-showing to an appointment? That IS one of the biggest problems with expiration

One can sign up at many pharmacies to “grab” one of those expiring doses, but one has to be ready at that beckoned call...

Touchdown

Well Wisconsin made some serious headway this week, we vaccinated nearly 190k this week or 3% of our population. That’s nearly a third of the total amount vaccinated in the state since mid December and we are scheduled to get more doses next week. Things are looking up.
4D9CB23C-A1BE-45AD-86B3-BC5822BCC0BD.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Every day, I see my own personal vaccination date being pushed further into the future...due to antics like this:

"State health officials acknowledged that 3,344 doses as of Wednesday were spoiled because of damaged vials or lack of use before the medicine went bad."

There is NO EXCUSE for allowing vaccine doses to expire. None.
Yikes.

But your point is taken. Again...this is why a NATIONAL PUBLIC distribution strategy was begged for almost a year ago...long before
Vaccine.

You can’t do things on this scale with 500,000 individual voices talking about what they want

Chi84

Premium Member
I see it building it.

I’ll be a tad blunt (for a change):

If yuh want go to wdw when it’s 95 degrees and you can’t hack it in a mask: order a peloton NOW and start riding the Portugal mountains series...get your lungs in shape.
Thanks for the insensitive advice, but I happen to be in pretty good physical shape for my age :)

Polkadotdress

Haven't researched Central Florida but would start with stopping by and asking any of the pharmacists for their input. In our area many don't have a defined waiting list, but are willing to reach out late in the day with unforeseen extra doses
To clarify, there are NO pharmacies here in Central FL that are issuing the vaccine, despite all the hoola about Publix being a distributer. It's only hospitals and health depts. And other temp sites. So, no waiting list.

That being said, I would suggest that all of the online appointment systems offer the online waiting list as well, much like Rise of the Resistance. Schedule extra people for the last appt of the day, but don't guarantee it. That way, if there is an abundance of doses that need to be used, they can go to those who have legitimately signed up and are prepared to arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom