Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

wdrive

How is removing a depiction of African tribes as cannibalistic headhunters “woke”? The scene is unfunny, and insensitive to many people. The rest of the world doesn’t care about your antiquated beliefs.

Should a depiction of a pirate on Pirates of the Caribbean as a murderous, thieving outlaw be removed?

If the headhunters were white on the Jungle Cruise would that change anything?

Elements of danger exist on many rides, why is it seem as good to remove these, just because they’re African? African people cant be the villains now?

Is it the notion that the tribe is a threat the issue, or just that they’re in the ride at all?

WillWrambles

In the Parks
No
Should a depiction of a pirate on Pirates of the Caribbean as a murderous, thieving outlaw be removed?

Elements of danger exist on many rides, why is it seem as good to remove these, just because they’re African? African people cant be the villains now?
You aren’t getting it. The fact is that the headhunters are an offensive, racially based, stereotype. On a attraction that is supposed to be about laughs, that isn’t just unfunny, but unacceptable.

seabreezept813

Nothing problematic about about portraying africans as savages? Are you actually kidding me? So far, this change has gotten nothing but cautious optimism from this board, even the folks who openly opposed changes to Splash are coming out in support of this. So tell me, sir, what does that say about you?
Ya this is a change I just don't care that much about.. the depictions they want to change are fine, but I think viewing them as a modern audience we tend to just think well this is archaic. I don't think of it as perpetuating racist issues today, but updating the attraction is cool. Honestly, Jungle Cruise is a one and done for us most trips whereas we tend to repeat most MK attractions. I do always do it once because it's classic Disney. Messing with rides like Splash, I think will naturally bring more backlash because Splash is a much more loved attraction.

TrainsOfDisney

Disney is toning down everything really, not just racial issues.

Snow White can’t habe a scary adventure, we can’t chase poachers on a safari,

Everything has to be more Disney and more family!

I'd like to know if they're going to update the cave/temple scene at WDW. I've seen video of the projection mapping they did in the cave/temple in one of the overseas parks and it made an otherwise boring section a bit more exciting. I hope they do something to plus that area of the ride.

wdrive

While there were and are tribal people living in the jungles of the world, the vast majority are not violent savages or headhunters. Choosing these images to depict people who have historically not been treated fairly is, well, unfair.

Of course not. Not all Europeans were pirates also, yet riding Pirates of the Caribbean would make you think 95% of the population were. Do we replace them also?

stevebwv

How is removing a depiction of African tribes as cannibalistic headhunters “woke”? The scene is unfunny, and insensitive to many people. The rest of the world doesn’t care about your antiquated beliefs.
Not only is Trader Sam funny, it is one of the funnier scenes on the ride. It mixes the unintended influence of the explorer on the natives while poking fun at both the explorers themselves and the natives. The natives grasp the western culture is dominated by material goods and rushes to sell something of value. The problem is the value of the item is lost on the explorer. The hat and umbrella further the ridiculousness of the west's contribution to the natives.

But too many simply believe the natives are naive so this scene must be poking fun at them. Poor souls couldn't possible defend themselves so we must do it for them.

WillWrambles

In the Parks
No
Not only is Trader Sam funny, it is one of the funnier scenes on the ride. It mixes the unintended influence of the explorer on the natives while poking fun at both the explorers themselves and the natives. The natives grasp the western culture is dominated by material goods and rushes to sell something of value. The problem is the value of the item is lost on the explorer. The hat and umbrella further the ridiculousness of the west's contribution to the natives.

But too many simply believe the natives are naive so this scene must be poking fun at them. Poor souls couldn't possible defend themselves so we must do it for them.
You just gonna gloss over the previous scene? With a whole tribe? That’s what were talking about, and that’s what Disney is replacing.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'd like to know if they're going to update the cave/temple scene at WDW. I've seen video of the projection mapping they did in the cave/temple in one of the overseas parks and it made an otherwise boring section a bit more exciting. I hope they do something to plus that area of the ride.
I never understood why the skippers go silent in the tunnel.

SirLink

How is it not? Its not been a problem for the last 65 years where people laugh at the scene when people hear the skipper dialogue.

Did you know there were real headhunter tribes? the people who are going to the parks don't find its insensitive. Its the people who find offence at the slightest sign. The great Stephen Fry has a great quote on offence :

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ******* what​

stevebwv

Of course not. Not all Europeans were pirates also, yet riding Pirates of the Caribbean would make you think 95% of the population were. Do we replace them also?
And imagine the fun times the ride would be if we highlighted the 95%, aka the "ordinary".
You just gonna gloss over the previous scene? With a whole tribe? That’s what were talking about, and that’s what Disney is replacing.
I didn't gloss over anything. The scene is cumulative. You see no humor in the customer also serving as the source of the goods?

WillWrambles

In the Parks
No
How is it not? Its not been a problem for the last 65 years where people laugh at the scene when people hear the skipper dialogue.

Did you know there were real headhunter tribes? the people who are going to the parks don't find its insensitive. Its the people who find offence at the slightest sign. The great Stephen Fry has a great quote on offence :
Wow, maybe if you’d listen to other people for once in your life, we’d probably be having a respectful conversation right now.
You aren’t getting it. The fact is that the headhunters are an offensive, racially based, stereotype. On a attraction that is supposed to be about laughs, that isn’t just unfunny, but unacceptable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom