Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

Prototype82

They need to make sure to add the piranhas from Disneyland. That is a great effect!
I don't know of this effect! Something like the late Pirates mermaid effect? (that was so subtle and awesome) Change can be good, but it's clear why this is happening. It looks like they are trying to remind fans that they keeping the ride's legacy in mind, and I respect that. Just hope we don't lose our Sam!

JustInTime

The problem with Sam is the west coast version, imo. He is racially insensitiveI think they need to swap him out for the WDW version and call it a day.

I also noticed in December that Sam’s movement has been fully restored and I hadn’t seen that in years and years. So I’m hopeful our version is staying.

I also think you can have Trader Sam be a trader of goods and services. He’s a sneaky business salesman, after all.

So, I think there is room for an altered Sam in this world.

Thoughts?

BubbaisSleep

The problem with Sam is the west coast version, imo. He is racially insensitiveI think they need to swap him out for the WDW version and call it a day.

I also noticed in December that Sam’s movement has been fully restored and I hadn’t seen that in years and years. So I’m hopeful our version is staying.

I also think you can have Trader Sam be a trader of goods and services. He’s a sneaky business salesman, after all.

So, I think there is room for an altered Sam in this world.

Thoughts?
They have a whole bar named after him at the Disneyland hotel so I hope they don't plan on abandoning him completely.

the.dreamfinder

He was on both of those teams. Disney over hypes cupcakes these days so I’m not sure I agree with the second part.
What gets pitched/announced is often different from what gets built. NFL isn’t particularly great, but a handful of the designers on that project worked on TDR’s NFL and Fantasy Springs.

That said, the design of Tokyo’s Toy Story Hotel is unforgivable.

JustInTime

I'll have to google him. I had no idea they had a different design until you mentioned it.
Sorry! Here you go. West coast Sam:

D15EFDB2-DEAA-4D44-9538-6729FCF49D0D.png

doctornick

Yeah, I hope Trader Sam stays. I feel like the MK version is cartoony enough that it might be acceptable.

If not, I wonder if he’d be replaced by a different Trader Sam character with a different punchline that would be viewed as non offensive but could still carry the name.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
“Hello, Disney park sheep! You are too stupid to use your imagination on Jungle Cruise, so to show how diverse and inclusive we are, we’re changing Jungle Cruise and adding a story line, plus replacing certain elements we’ve found out via several progressive Twitter accounts are offensive. Don’t worry - It will still be as irreverent as ever, but toned down so as to not offend anyone, no matter how small their complaint is. All jokes will be approved by our Diversity Committee to ensure the highest quality non-offensive humor in the jungle!”

JustInTime

Thank you! Wow they are very different. I wonder how this will play out.

edit: On second thought, is there going to be a Trader Sam on the movie? I hope not but if so this may be where they head for a reimagining.
I would think west coast gets swapped out at least. Possibly even a different backstory for the character. I’d love to see an insider chime in.

JustInTime

Yeah, I hope Trader Sam stays. I feel like the MK version is cartoony enough that it might be acceptable.

If not, I wonder if he’d be replaced by a different Trader Sam character with a different punchline that would be viewed as non offensive but could still carry the name.
I agree and he could be many different races. I feel like that was smart and intentional when they made WDW (even though WDW’s was designed to be a different character, he originally wasn’t even Sam). I’m hoping this is the case. I always preferred WDW Sam.

Epcot82Guy

Overall, I'm glad it's getting some attention. (And do hope a version of the Tokyo mapping comes, though hopefully more subtle.)

The linear story is my only real concern. JC really needs a script that can change to have long-term reride appeal. That could be done still with a linear story. But Disney tends to go way to heavy handed in recent years. That would be a downgrade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom