Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

MurphyJoe

I guess their mindset is "IT'S STAR WARS! PEOPLE WILL PAY FOR SOMETHING STAR WARS-RELATED!"? I dunno, maybe they're already too far into construction to can the idea now?

Gut feeling on the hotel experience is it's the hotel equivalent to Premier Access and Mulan on Disney+. Disney is hoping to make bank with the project, but just as important is the data they'll be able to gleam from reservations and visitor surveys for it. Because the hotel is something of a new concept Disney needs a bookings driver which is why it's themed to Star Wars. Assuming the project goes well, Disney might try additional hotel experiences. Though I'd be surprised if they tried building any of these nearby major metropolitan markets after the failures of Disney Quest and Club Disney.

Squishy

i promise you there will be plussing. There will be cupcake events, there will be bunting, there will be special edition pins, shirts backpacks funkos food.......
there will be a lot of stuff saying 50th.... just maybe no new experiences.
You're saying new cupcakes aren't a new experience??

yensidtlaw1969

I know that he's right; but it is unreasonable to ask any person or corporation to borrow money for new developments while they are LOSING money - lots of it.
Not sure how that relates to the conversation that was being had - his claim was that Disney has stopped the flow of cash, you said "but look how much construction is happening", and he said that's the result of money which has already been spent. And I agreed with that.

Who's asking anyone to borrow money?

Dutch Inn '76

Not sure how that relates to the conversation that was being had - his claim was that Disney has stopped the flow of cash, you said "but look how much construction is happening", and he said that's the result of money which has already been spent. And I agreed with that.

Who's asking anyone to borrow money?
??? The complaint was that Disney was not building anything new. I pointed out that they had lost PILES of money this year (because of Covid), and it would be silly to build something new when you've been losing money.

They borrowed $11 BILLION in May to pay debt. You think they should spend more money on new attractions while that's going on? That'd be a good recipe for collapse and a corporate takeover.

yensidtlaw1969

??? The complaint was that Disney was not building anything new. I pointed out that they had lost PILES of money this year (because of Covid), and it would be silly to build something new when you've been losing money.

They borrowed $11 BILLION in May to pay debt. You think they should spend more money on new attractions while that's going on? That'd be a good recipe for collapse and a corporate takeover.
Okay, you're completely misinterpreting my post.

I was merely agreeing with @Magicart87's assertion that the current construction are examples of money that was essentially spent pre-pandemic - which you seemed to be debating, claiming they are still spending money and that current construction was evidence.

Nowhere did I say anything about whether or not they should build anything new or spend more money. Literally never weighed in on that.

Dutch Inn '76

Okay, you're completely misinterpreting my post.

I was merely agreeing with @Magicart87's assertion that the current construction are examples of money that was essentially spent pre-pandemic - which you seemed to be debating, claiming they are still spending money and that current construction was evidence.

Nowhere did I say anything about whether or not they should build anything new or spend more money. Literally never weighed in on that.

I wasn't replying solely to you, but participating in the larger conversation. Originally, I was responding to a comment someone else made about spending being "off the table," which is not true. The overall tenor of the conversation was the normal implication (around here) that The Mouse is being cheap or not doing enough. I was replying to that idea, that they should be increasing deficit spending now (which would be a mistake, IMHO).

Homemade Imagineering

I'm feeling very Jungle Cruisely today. How about you?
Well....

DCBaker

Premium Member
image003-1.jpg

"The Jungle Cruise rides at Disneyland and Walt Disney World will undergo major storytelling updates to remove “negative depictions of native people” as Disney continues to address diversity and inclusivity issues in its theme park attractions.

Walt Disney Imagineering will update Jungle Cruise scenes featuring shrunken head dealer Trader Sam and a rhino chasing a safari group up a tree while adding a new scene with a half-sunken boat overrun by chimps.

“Imagineers are constantly looking for opportunities to enhance experiences, and when it comes to updating classic attractions, they employ a very careful and thoughtful approach,” Disney officials said in a statement. “In this particular case, Imagineers created a storyline that builds upon what people love the most while addressing negative depictions simultaneously.”

Imagineering has not yet determined when work will begin on the Jungle Cruise attractions at Disneyland in Anaheim and the Magic Kingdom in Florida. The reimagined rides are expected to open later this year. Disneyland won’t begin work on the Jungle Cruise attraction until after the theme park reopens following an extended coronavirus closure.

Disneyland is unlikely to return to full operation until spring or summer under COVID-19 health and safety reopening guidelines issued by the state."

Esm00dUXcAAtOjm.jpeg

Last edited:

Lora Baines Bradley

View attachment 526603

"The Jungle Cruise rides at Disneyland and Walt Disney World will undergo major storytelling updates to remove “negative depictions of native people” as Disney continues to address diversity and inclusivity issues in its theme park attractions.

Walt Disney Imagineering will update Jungle Cruise scenes featuring shrunken head dealer Trader Sam and a rhino chasing a safari group up a tree while adding a new scene with a half-sunken boat overrun by chimps.

“Imagineers are constantly looking for opportunities to enhance experiences, and when it comes to updating classic attractions, they employ a very careful and thoughtful approach,” Disney officials said in a statement. “In this particular case, Imagineers created a storyline that builds upon what people love the most while addressing negative depictions simultaneously.”

Imagineering has not yet determined when work will begin on the Jungle Cruise attractions at Disneyland in Anaheim and the Magic Kingdom in Florida. The reimagined rides are expected to open later this year. Disneyland won’t begin work on the Jungle Cruise attraction until after the theme park reopens following an extended coronavirus closure.

Disneyland is unlikely to return to full operation until spring or summer under COVID-19 health and safety reopening guidelines issued by the state."

Good.

The Visionary Soul

View attachment 526603

Yay, politically correct Jungle Cruise. I'm so excited. That said, Kevin Lively is on the project. If anyone understands how to keep it together, it's him. I'm cautiously optimistic on this one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom