The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Season 7: Fantasmic Journeys [CONCLUDED!]

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
UcoD1tq.png

(Reading Music)

Main Street Trolley Park

qMaPr6s.png

When Disneyland opened in 1955, multiple plans were drafted to expand Main Street U.S.A. As the years passed, Imagineers had trouble deciding on a concept to move forward with and many proposals ended up being repurposed or shelved indefinitely. Thankfully, in this reality WED thought ahead.

MKkFCH6.png

Wanting a place where guests could relax away from the hustle of the rest of the park, Trolley Park was born. The park serves a dual purpose as both Main Street U.S.A.’s trolley hub, and its fairground. Here guests can board a horse drawn trolley and have a scenic tour through Main Street U.S.A. Guests can also explore the hometown fair that’s been set up in Trolley Park and dine, shop, dance, or even explore the mysterious “Wonder Car.” Trolley Park offers something for everyone, from those who want to relax and take things slow to those who are looking for a bit more excitement and those unique experiences that only Disneyland can offer.

wDB4Z6d.jpg

Without further adieu, we present: Trolley Park!
(Click the words for a Google Doc, the Picture Below for a PDF)

Outbound

Original Poster
ufXGGRU.png

Well, this has sure been quite the week! So many active players, whether new or old and so many different talents on display. Every project, even every role within a project, has stood out from the rest. Regardless of my or Ace’s judging score, know that each team should be very proud of their finished product. I mean no hyperbole when I say they are all amazing, and it took a while for me to finally figure out my ranking.

Enjoy the reviews!

Soul.png

FLOWER STREET
This team was a blast to watch in the PMs. So wholesome.
  • @Mickeynerd17 , nice concept art/land icon!
  • I appreciate the detailed backstory explaining the history of Flower Street. Though never necessary, the best-themed lands almost always have a backstory hidden beneath the surface. I love how Flower Street’s ties to real-world history -- it feels like what could easily happen to this small-town Main Street should time pass.
  • Speaking of which, I admire the juxtaposition made between “traditional” Main Street and “artsy” Flower Street. It’s a contrast that I imagine would be made stark whether walking between streets. Nevertheless, they both still “fit” together as one big town.
  • @Tegan pilots a chicken , your hand-drawn map is amazing!
  • Hmm… no other team remembered to add bathrooms to their lands...
  • It’s strange to see the words “Fantasia” in Main Street, but given the background of an Arts & Sciences Festival, it fits! This would be a great show to sit back and relax, especially given how diverse each act is. I imagine especially in the 1950s, this long of a show would make it a park highlight!
  • The Hall of Inventions reminds me a lot of the Carousel of Progress, but rather than a show, it’s a walkthrough. Although technically, this is six years before the Carousel of Progress is built. So would the Carousel of Progress be inspired by The Hall of Inventions??? /s
  • But jokes aside… the Hall of Inventions is the perfect fit for Flower Street’s Expo.
  • The Diorama Hall is just amazing. I have no words for @Homemade Imagineering ‘s video 😲. Super excited to see your skills progress further in this competition!
  • The Flower Street Stage is a ton of fun. I love the emphasis on different cultures, with each act a different kind of dance!
  • I’m amazed by the level of detail put in the Electric Rose. The backstory is excellent and the descriptions vivid. In addition to the description, there are many unique uses of concept art, from the PlanetCoaster exterior to the floor plan to the colorful menu. Having compared both, I have to say although the indoor seating with custom lighting sounds nice, I’d prefer to be outdoors in the botanical garden.
  • Although I know @Lora Baines Bradley technically posted it after the rest of the team submitted, I’m counting her pin as part of the pin-shop example. A pin shop is a great choice to fill Main Street, especially for Flower Street’s more artisan focus.
  • Yay for a Christmas Shoppe! How doesn’t love Christmas shops!
  • As someone who knows absolutely nothing about make-up, Max Factor Cosmetic looks to be a fantastic “unique shop”. The same way Disney had a barbershop opening-day, they’ve now got a cosmetics store.
  • And just as above, another unique shop is the Music Box. I imagine getting these records would be all the rage in the 50s. Having two sides for each record, and making sure each side is somewhat tied together, is a great touch.
  • Last, the live actors are the icing on the cake. I love how some are tied to the already-existent shops. This adds so much to an already incredibly dynamic subland!
  • Overall, I love Flower Street’s combination of Main Street traditionalism with a modern sense of progress and an international sense of arts. I have very few critiques to say. For a while, I was worried whether the expo theme may be too similar to Tomorrowland’s World Expo, but as I read the project I’ve realized how closely it has been tied to the past of American invention and arts, not the future. This sets the land apart in my opinion, even if it is a bit further ahead in the timeline than Main Street proper. For new visitors, they’d Main Street USA as a nostalgic reminder of the past… and Flower Street as an exciting look at the present.
  • At least until the 50s end. After that, the kids will probably trash on it until it’s rethemed to Guardians of the Galaxy for… reasons.

Power.png

LITTLE MEXICO + CHINATOWN
Midway through the round, I and a few others monitoring the three PMs became worried about Team Power. Where the other teams were speeding through their pages in brainstorming, Team Power didn’t post as much, preferring to carefully consider each brainstormed idea. Even now, after Team Power really picked up steam in the last few days, they sit at 18 pages to Mind’s 23 and Soul’s 25.

But now that I have read your project, I see Team Power truly was in “power”. They were an unstoppable object slowly marching towards its goal. This project contains not one but two sublands, both thematically tied to create a trilogy of Main Streets. One of the dangers to creating two sublands is whether one will overshadow the other, but that never happened in this project. Instead, I found Little Mexico and Chinatown repeatedly building on each other, with excellent team coordination ensuring the two sublands were as closely tied as thematically possible.

• I love the Google Site! You could have easily just copy-pasted all your work onto a Google Doc, but instead, you went the extra mile. And not only that, but the Site is made beautiful by all the custom concept art!
  • The visuals are strong with this project. From @MickeyWaffleCo. ‘s land posters to @Brer Panther ‘s carousel to @91JLovesDisney ‘s ride-through to @D-Hulk ‘s map. Each of these are project highlights in their own right, but what appreciate most is how perfectly they blend with the lands around them. The Posters are photoshopped atop real teaser posters in 1950s Disneyland. The carousel’s cartoon style is exactly what you’d expect from the child-friendly early Disneyland. The ride-through has a track it moves along as the ride progresses. The map amazingly uses the same style as our reference map so that at first glance, a Karen may mistake your map for the real Disneyland map and go there expecting Little Mexico and Chinatown.
  • I also love this project’s theme. It’s a realistic choice given Walt’s hope to represent multiple communities in his idealist 20th century America, but it is also a bold choice given how much it stands apart from the rest of Main Street.
  • Great detail describing the streets and architecture of Chinatown and Little Mexico. Researching the symbolism of colors in Chinese cultures shows how much thought went into the tiniest parts of your land. And custom trash cans are always a nice touch!
  • The Custom Music… wow, MVP play. @JokersWild , you have competition now, everything is no longer super for you.
  • The Celestial Carousel is a fantastic design and centerpiece to Chinatown, however, by opening day Disneyland would have already had one Carousel in Fantasyland. Would this be removed in favor of Chinatown’s or would both remain in operation?
  • Okay, time to discuss the Monkey King, your flagship attraction for this expansion. As a stand-alone attraction, it is excellent.
  • The highlight of the Monkey King is @91JLovesDisney ‘s video. From personal experience, I know how complicated video editing can be, and I can’t imagine how hard it was with the music as well. If I had to give one suggestion -- and I normally wouldn’t given you’ve already surpassed my talents but the season is just beginning so who knows where you’ll be by the finale -- try adding text to explain what is happening on the ride, or (if you really wanted to go crazy) photoshop the characters into the images. But that’s only if you wanted to push this further: as it stands, it still an incredible submission.
  • So despite my enjoyment of the attraction as a stand-alone, my big worry is whether it fits logically into the rest of the land. The ride begins in a cave walkthrough and tells a Chinese legend… set in China. It feels better suited for the China Pavilion than a suburb of Main Street USA.
  • One way I think you could have subverted this issue is if you used Chinatown as a framing device. Similar to the movie the Princess Bride, perhaps a Chinese elder could be reading the story to their grandchildren, maintaining their traditions and culture despite the move to America? This is just one of I’m sure many ways… I just worry the transition from Main Street to Ancient China is too drastic without context.
  • Unfortunately, the description is also a bit lacking in the technical components. Are animatronics in use? Classic Imagineering tricks? From reading the ride sounds similar to Pirates of the Caribbean.
  • Speaking of which POTC was made in 1967, and the timeline here is 1955-1958 ish. So probably not the most realistic… but to be completely honest, the main reason we said limit technologies was to prevent a KUKA trackless multi-branching EMV from being born (shudders). Given the limitations of the time, these continuity nitpicks aren’t a big deal.
  • Overall, I think this project could have used a bit more detail and explanation… in the right places. I love when you describe, for instance, the symbolism of the land’s colors or the land’s custom trash cans. But those are additional features, whereas your primary attraction is the centerpiece. If you have the extra time add the extra features, but the main crowd-drawer should always be your main priority.
  • Next up: the Emperor’s Teahouse, a welcome break from the hustle and bustle of Main Street. I love everything about this: the custom banner, the vivid description, the intriguing backstory, and the detailed and well-thought-out menu. It’s clear a lot of consideration was given to this eatery, and it shows. 5 stars!
  • I appreciated how the shopping at Chinatown brings out the culture and traditions of the community in the same way Main Street USA is so integrally tied to Americana. It’s not just Chinese theming, rather, the land wants to teach you about Chinese culture. Each shop works towards this goal brilliantly.
  • The Harmony Flower Market is a great transition between Chinatown and Little Mexico!
  • The Three Cabelleros Present: Fiesta de Mèxico takes Little Mexico’s message of honoring Mexican heritage and makes it fun for all. I imagine just including the Disney cartoon characters would be enough to draw big crowds on opening day. And bonus points for using era-relevant technology!
  • I also love how you addressed an alive Walt in the parks. From the description, he appears to play more of an aloof semi-authority character, rather than the wise, revered figure Disney paints him nowadays. It’s a smart shift for a different time period.
  • @montydysquith-navarro and @orlando678- created a well-oiled team for restaurants this round. My thoughts for Plaza de los Ángeles mirror that of the Emperor’s Teahouse. I like how upbeat this restaurant is, a contrast to the tranquility of your other restaurant.
  • Like Chinatown, the shops in Little Mexico offer a great first-look into Hispanic culture. I love the thought that went into each.
  • Finally, the entertainment section was short but sweet. An excellent cherry on top of a thoroughly excellent project.
Mind.png

TROLLEY PARK
All throughout your (admittedly very chaotic) brainstorming, Team Mind has had a stellar group dynamic. After developing a shared passion for your theme, your project manager @Pi on my Cake did an excellent job organizing the team for success. Each contributed in a significant way.

This project delights in the small-scale. Walkthroughs, transportation, flat rides, and street entertainment all get the spotlight here. It’s a neat twist on things: most Imagineering projects aim to go big or go home, but yours keeps things simple and deceptively imaginative.

• Ahhh thou art a PDF user as well I see. Such fine class!
  • The theme of Trolley Park is an inspired choice. It’s so realistic, in my opinion, it becomes creative: why would a theme park represent a Trolley Yard? It builds to the illusion that this town in Main Street USA is a real place, and the Trolley Yard an integral part of the town.
  • This is an excellent map, seamlessly blending to the rest of 1950s Disneyland.
  • That said, I am mildly concerned by the land layout. I worry that bottlenecks may mess with guests wanting to head to the Trolley Park’s events from other areas of the park. They would have to walk all the way down from Main Street, past the Courtyard, and into the Bottleneck. Could a second gate potentially be created near where the Wonder Car is located now, between the 500 and 600 blocks? I know Liberty Street was originally intended to be a bottleneck of similar design, but I don’t think Liberty Street was ever designed to hold this many points of interest.
  • I love that you avoided any large-scale attractions for this subland... huge realism points there. Back in the 50s, Disneyland didn’t have many of the big rides we know them for today. There were a lot of smaller attractions like the walkthroughs present in the Trolley Park. The attractions in this project are the perfect fit for its time.
  • The Wonder Car is such an inspired idea. When I was younger my favorite thing to do at fairs was the funhouse. I would love to see Disney make their own… with a bit of a higher budget than your average carnival. I love how everything here is practical, and despite the limitations of the time, I think its limits add to the awe of the walkthrough. Big props to @DashHaber and @b-wolf95.
  • Btw, I’m almost certain The Wondrous Willoughby would grow to become a fan-favorite. He just seems to be having so much fun engaging in the dramatics.
  • The idea to give the Main Street trolleys their own station is a great one: as mentioned before, it makes the town feel more alive. It also provides some additional “kinetic energy” for Main Street as guests first arrive in the park.
  • A batting cage is exactly the type of quirky thing you’d find in opening-day Disneyland. It also ties brilliantly to Main Street’s “Americana” feeling.
  • The Meadow Grove Gardens is another excellent “small-scale” feature. I also love that Pi’s sample comedy skit exists. While I didn’t laugh out loud, it did get me chuckling. I’m sure my grandparents are dying of laughter.
  • Yay to the Whip! Obscure flat rides!
  • I see Puffs the restaurant pro has returned… and now with extra help (Solaris)! The Dining Car looks to be a great place to eat.
  • For a solid second, I was blinking in confusion at whether Spectacular Spirits was a real bar. Nevermind, it looks like everything is fake! While @D Hulk would be very angry, I being under drinking age am not ;)
  • +1 for custom trash cans.
  • Woolworth’s sounds like a solid shopping experience, and I like the hidden entrance to the Tobacco Store. Jeez. I don’t know how, but I somehow find the Wizard of Bras more believable than a Tobacco Store in Disneyland. Times sure have changed...
  • The Magician’s Hideout is an excellent magic shop, but I’m a bit worried by the existence of the Magic Shop in Main Street USA. Would these two share products, or provide different magic-themed items?
  • Americana is a superb shop headliner. It feels more like a series of small shops than one big shop, with so many different rooms full of different unique items.
  • @Miru … yes! I love this so much. I don’t know why because half of it is so sad, but describing how Trolley Park ends up in the next 65 years adds so much to the immersion. This is a fantastic bit of storytelling to include.
  • You may notice at the end of this that I have next to no complaints or nitpicks with this project. That’s crazy! The only thing I wish this project had more of was alternative presentation formats, like with the other two teams. That said there’s nothing wrong with going the classic written route. At the end of the day, that’s what this project feels like: a classic Imagineering project made by a passionate and well-oiled (despite this only being your first project together) team.

And that's it for my reviews! Ace's will be coming soon, as well as your team-specific guest judges! Meanwhile, the second stanza will be released tomorrow at noon EST / nine PST.

Evilgidgit

EVILGIDGIT'S REVIEW -- TEAM MIND: STANZA I
As a first time reviewer, this sure has been an exciting week. It is certainly fascinating and fun to watch the competition from inside the commentator’s box. This opening stanza has been one of the smoothest and well-organized I’ve experienced. To begin with, the early ideas for the expansion were big and imaginative – though perhaps a bit too big for the stanza pitch.

Main Street is a small, grounded (in a manner) land that immortalises Walt’s love for smalltown Americana, for a time that was long gone by the time Disneyland was built. Space and concepts were restricted by this theming, and some sadly would not have fitted into the land naturally. Several ideas were batted around to fit into the turn-of-the-century land, including a big city square, a circus, a farm, and a baseball-themed area.

Just as voting went underway for the final choices, @JokersWild leaps out of nowhere and suggests the idea for the Trolley Park, an idea that was ingenious, combining many of the discussed suggestions, and feeling like it fit right at home in Main Street, introducing a new mode of transport to the overall land that connects the expansion directly to what is established.

And, now bullet point time!

--Hooray for PDFs.

--The presentation is style is very appropriate with the sense of elegance that Main Street. In a time when everything was presented in a classy, showstopping manner, it works very well with the expansion.

--The map looks authentic!

--Wondervision…*ahem*. Anyhoo, the Wonder Car is an absolute hoot. Feeling like something Walt or Marc Davis may have imagined, turning an ordinary funfair staple and giving it a real creative flair. Willoughby feels like a constant presence in the attraction, following and somewhat trolling us with his prestidigitation. The attraction reminds of classic funhouses, mirrors and all (though my “fondest” memory is literally running into a mirror!) Fantastic work from @DashHaber and @b-wolf95 .

--The Trolley Pavilion is quaint and charming, and I love the turntable idea, seeing how the vehicles are loaded. Although Disney insists on hiding the real world, it is equally fun to see how things works as well.

--Although some of the baseball references go over my head (is Mr. Menlo supposed to be Edison?), the Homerun Derby is outta the park!

--The inclusion of the gazebo makes up for Walt ditching the bandstand! Love the idea of a variety of acts and musicians, particularly the Abbott and Costello-style banter.

--There was always a sense of historic resonance with 1955 Disneyland, and the whip ride continues this. Walt drew inspiration from other parks and classic attractions, which is replicated here thanks to @TheSquirrel and @Pi on my Cake.

--Never reviewed dining before, so let’s give it a spin: The Dining Car is a stroke of brilliance! Has a perfectly stylised American menu, and fits in perfectly with the Trolley Park.

--Spectacular Spirits sounds like a great place to visit, and the blending of “old magic” and “new magic” through the architecture is just magical.

--I misread “Hat Trick” as “Hat Hick”.

--The Tobacco Shoppe is something I probably would’ve left out, but this is 1955, and such things existed in those days, so my modern day sensibilities must shut up! Putting in a doorway between shops was a good idea.

--The Magician’s Hideout is a great companion to the Wonder Car, though having two magic shops in the same land feels a little repetitive. What makes one different from the other?

--Americana sounds like it could rival the Emporium as the big, go-to department store.

--The history and evolution area is a blast to read through, though I’m surprised Paul Pressler didn’t bulldoze the whole thing to put in a concrete mini-mall.

TheOriginalTiki

Trying to get a panel together for the first More Pooh Talk of the season tonight. If you'd like to be on and you're not already in the group PM for that, please let me know. For the purposes of the podcast it'd be INCREDIBLY helpful if ya'll could post credits of who did what from each team so we can spotlight the right people with easy reference.

PerGron

Trying to get a panel together for the first More Pooh Talk of the season tonight. If you'd like to be on and you're not already in the group PM for that, please let me know. For the purposes of the podcast it'd be INCREDIBLY helpful if ya'll could post credits of who did what from each team so we can spotlight the right people with easy reference.
If you’re still looking for people, I’d love to be a part of it

AceAstro

1611420607515.png

I just want to start this off by saying congrats to everyone! Regardless of the final standings, each team should be very proud of their work here. Each is a great fit for the land in their own right and trying to figure out the best of them is no easy feat! This was just the first stanza while your teams were learning more about each other and growing. Now that chemistry is forming, I can't wait to see where the projects go from here!
1611420098929.png

Flower Street

To start, I know this team had some initial struggles with the prompt. But from the final project, you can’t even tell. The land flows perfectly and all that it seems like you hit the ground running from minute 1.

I love the work here by @Disney Dad 3000 on the original map! Unless I zoom in super tight, I can’t even notice the difference on the map. It is very solidly done! It looks like a “purposeful” expansion. The concept art by @Mickeynerd17 was flawless here!

I’m absolutely in love with this backstory. It took something that seems like a simple “small shops” street and gives it a real purpose. The backstory makes it feel like it is a necessary part of the rest of Main Street U.S.A.

I absolutely love the Hand-drawn map! Great work there @Tegan pilots a chicken . The lines are cleaner than if I was doing it in Photoshop so big props there. The legend and everything like that is clear so I think you absolutely crushed it!

I think turning such an artsy movie into a full ballet show only works with this backstory. Had it been on the traditional Main Street U.S.A., it would have stuck out like a sore thumb. Now, it ties into the backstory, and the rest of the land, perfectly.

The Hall of Inventions is great! It feels very much like a true day 1 attraction for Disneyland (and gives Hall of Chemistry some deep competition. It’s also a great homage to the attraction from the original Edison Square design: Harnessing the Light. It was the precursor for Carousel of Progress and this feels like a similar version of the same thing! Even with it reminding me of an original plan (intentional or not), I think this ties and fits into the rest of the land perfectly. It connects the art of the theatre to science nicely and flows very smoothly.

I think Diorama Hall is a cute idea. It gives the backstory a deeper meaning when we go back further in time. I would’ve loved a more in-depth write-up here about what sorts of diorama’s we would’ve seen on this walkthrough. Was it all pre-historic, did it slowly move to the present day, etc. But, wow. Amazing work on that video @Homemade Imagineering ! Looks stunning and totally fits the time period!

I like The Flower Street Stage as it gives a taste of multiple cultures! Instead of just 1 dance group over and over again, guests get to see 4 different styles from 4 different countries which is a nice way to spice it up.

I am absolutely in awe about the Electric Rose. The backstory, the reasoning behind the exterior look, the lobby and interior map, etc. are so detailed it feels like an actual restaurant. And if that wasn’t enough, the menu then really brings it all together. It has great food, a great design, and pulls the rest of it altogether. It truly is a stunning restaurant.

I think all the shops are a great fit for the land and the rest of the park. Pins weren’t as big then as they are now but they were still around in some capacity so this would be a great store for that (and covers them for a dedicated store on Main Street when Pin Trading blows up). I also love the pin design! Christmas shops are Disney classics at this point so it definitely makes sense and fits to have one added here. I love the little personal connection with the plant shop - a cute moment there for sure. Tying in brands like Hosmer Mountain and Max Factor feel like logical sponsors and fit right in with other Main Street shops that have brand tie-ins. The music shop is a great touch and I think would still be a hit to this day with vinyl making a comeback. Having the music that can be bought playing through the store is a nice touch too!

I love the streetmosphere too! It feels very “Citizens of Hollywood”-esque in today’s terms. They’re great interactions, meet and greets, photo ops, and allows guests to remember someone specific each time they come.

In the end, it seemed like your team might’ve gone the “safest” in terms of expansion idea, but I think it is far from it. It brings the sciences and the arts into a nice centre, singular street.

1611420281072.png

China Town and Little Mexico

Is this Team going to be sponsored by Whataburger going forward? :p

First off, what an incredible map @D Hulk ! It ties into the original map perfectly! If not for the ageing of the original map, I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

I love the use of the “Yesterland” Google Site. It is themed well and I think you have enough work to make it fit nicely. My only recommendation would have been to have the main navigation tabs be Chinatown, Little Mexico, and Entertainment, with the introduction, attractions, etc, as sub-navigation settings. It still works as is, it just would have made the top bar much cleaner.

The land posters look amazing and them being photoshopped into the row of other posters looks great! They blend right in and feel like they definitely belong. I like the inclusion of the reason behind the lands you chose. I think they are very fitting! Out of the final 3 lands your team voted on, you definitely picked the correct 2!

Getting into Chinatown, I like the description of the land. You covered important traditional information with the colours through the land that I think is a great educational touch. Major props to @MickeyWaffleCo. for the music!! I did not expect original music in the first stanza but it is flawless and I already love it!

I think the celestial carousel is charming and cute. I know there is the distinction of it being the zodiac animals instead of regular horses but I don’t know if two carousels were needed for opening day - especially at a time where ride systems weren’t really repeated (outside the main Fantasyland dark rides). On to The Monkey King, I love the map of the queue and ride layout. The video makes it better as it gives the visual aspect behind it (great work there @91JLovesDisney !). I would have loved more writing along with it if there was time to explain some of the visuals. My biggest concern with the ride is the ride system. This is very reminiscent of Pirates of the Caribbean - which opened 12 years after the land. The boat ride system there wasn’t even decided until after Small World’s success at the 1964 World’s Fair. Could a boat system like this be used? Considering how the Storybook Land Canal Boats was a day 1 attraction, it could be possible, but it feels like a stretch.

I absolutely adore The Emporer’s Teahouse! I love the connection to The Emporer and the Nightingale. At this point, Walt Disney had already made a few shorts based on Andersen’s work so it doesn’t feel extremely out of place. The menu looks delicious and made sense on being traditional Chinese while staying “safe” to Western tastes. I think the shopping is on par with the rest of the land too. None of the shops here are particularly “notable” in what they offer, but I think the 4 offerings combined make for a pretty great, and wide-spread selection of merchandise.

Moving into Little Mexico, I loved how the introduction is in the exact same style as the introduction to Chinatown. It allows us to easily notice what is similar about this area as well as the main differences between the two. Once again, the area music is amazing!

Starting with The Three Caballeros attraction, I think it is a lot of fun. It gives both the Three Caballeros, and Walt Disney a playful side! It gives guests a fun little look at Mexico much like the Gran Fiesta Tour does now!

Plaza de los Angeles is stunning! You describe it as a signature restaurant and that is definitely what it is! The design and layout of the restaurant tie into the land so perfectly! I can already tell from that menu I would be a regular there. Much like Chinatown, Little Mexico has 4 retail options that aren’t going to take anyone’s breathe away in uniqueness, but 100% contribute to the overall feel of the land.

I love the inclusion of the parade floats too. Entertainment in a land like this is always great, and seeing it both in the land and out of it “advertising” the expansion is a great way to go about it!

All in all, I think there were a lot of hits with this area, but a few minor things within Chinatown left some questions. This team has a ton of potential and I can’t wait to see what you all bring in the next stanza!

1611420448947.png

Trolley Park

First of all, I think we have different versions of the book @Pi on my Cake . Mine looks like this:

wIY9Uk88IW_ICcu9ofj9YnVl9YaY8-GxDGuGadfv2CqANDv87hLXerP_yqffmmm66o7JDQ7bCPFWXPnXCY3ijaXNidwcSx3pOZqx0TF1jegiwqvPEmcmB6W5ddwI3j7XWrw_LV1y

:angelic:

I’m not going to lie, I was nervous it was going to be an 84-page document... I am definitely glad it isn’t though haha! From a personal bias standpoint, I am a huge baseball fan so was excited that you were looking at that route. Truthfully, I also had similar concerns about the train route so I think your team found the perfect middle ground!

Your team has the smallest land of the three but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. The whole area did not have to be used, just the area that was used needed to be effective. And I think it definitely was! I think “moving” the Trolley parking area from backstage to a mini-land expansion is a brilliant call! It fits into the theme of Main Street quite well and flows with the rest of the land. One thing that I think may hurt this land compared to the other two is that the use of a culdesac land. While it wouldn’t matter on day 1, that could definitely lead to issues of congestion later on.

Starting with the Wonder Car, I think it is a perfect fit of “technology” for the time. To me, it feels like a highly themed funhouse which is great! The card room seems like a lot of fun that would keep a lot of kids distracted for a while. I think the moving staircase to then go down a slide was a really fun touch that made it stand out compared to a normal staircase. One thing, I would have loved an overview map of this attraction. Especially with a walk-through, it takes a lot of corners so is almost disorientating.

I think the Trolley Pavilion is a fantastic experience. I think it adds a lot of movement to the land that is always needed in a land. It gives guests a nice look at the behind the scenes of those trolleys that could inspire the guests beyond this one visit. The one part I struggle with it, however, is that it is mentioned that the Trolley Pavilion is the “heart of Trolley Park” but the description as a whole is a very small detail in the whole document. If it is that key, I feel like there should be more on it (for example, a batting cage has a longer write-up).

Speaking of the Homerun Derby, I think it is great! I love how it has a small and simple backstory but it is nailed home through the whole thing. I am concerned about it being only 3 lanes, however. My two local places have 8 and 9 lanes. Having only 3 could be massive capacity issues.

I think The Meadow Grove Gardens & Bandstand is the crème de la crème of this land. It has a large sense of realism with the live music that was so key to opening Disneyland but Ozzy and Waldo are amazing!! Even not being in 1955 a few of the jokes had me laughing for sure! I think it is a great addition to the whole land. I could’ve easily read more Ozzy and Waldo sketches!

I know there was a lot of debate on what the flat ride should be. After reading the whip ride you wrote up here, I think your team made an excellent choice. I think whip rides are a blast and it is something that ties into this area amazingly!

The dining options have great menus (I’ll take a Cubed Cod with a Hat Trick to drink please!)! Pufflefan absolutely knocks dining out of the park every time! One thing I am confused about and would love clarification on: is the dining car on a rail? Is it a simulated round trip of Main Street in the dining car? I’m slightly confused there but it looks great otherwise!

The shopping options are all great! The “standard” ones fit into the land well and I love both of the specialty shops. For Magician's Hideout, it fits perfectly beside The Wonder Cart. I assume this would remove the Magic Shop on Main Street so they weren’t almost side by side? Americana is another great shop that ties the whole area together. It is basically Trolley Park: The Shop, and it fits perfectly.

I love the addition of the history and evolution of the land beyond that. It added a lot of realism to the area to see how the land would still look today. All the changes feel realistic and in tune with how they would be adopted throughout the history of the parks and feel as if I was just reading a page on Disneyland history. It totally fit right in and was a great addition!

I want to round this out by commemorating all the people who worked on art this round! @Pufflefan , @pix , @DlpPhantom all stepped out of their comfort zone in some way and you can’t even tell! Each piece of art is incredible and I can’t wait to see what y’all bring in the next stanza!​

Orange Cat

The dining options have great menus (I’ll take a Cubed Cod with a Hat Trick to drink please!)! Pufflefan absolutely knocks dining out of the park every time! One thing I am confused about and would love clarification on: is the dining car on a rail? Is it a simulated round trip of Main Street in the dining car? I’m slightly confused there but it looks great otherwise!
It‘s A Simulation Of Various American Scenery (Unless @Solaris Knight Pictured Something Else But I Think We Agreed On That), & I See How That Could Be Confusing Lol​

JokersWild

I really appreciate the feedback. Just wanted to say that there’s only so much detail I could give the Trolley Pavilion before it would become too much to read :p. Still the heart of the land, but there’s not much more I could say outside of explaining to readers how the trolley goes both up and down Main Street.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom