Keto Lifestyle Group

Disney Analyst

The problem is that no one can name those dangers because the general population has a severe misunderstanding / perception of what a ketogenic lifestyle is. They associate it with a “dirty keto” way of eating which is the whole bacon and hot dogs etc.

The key is a well formulated ketogenic diet, that’s the hard part. Read up on Mark Sisson, he’s been at least low carb since the 70’s and is ripped out of his mind for a guy his age but he eats super clean.

Doing keto, losing weight, and going back to a western diet doesn’t make sense. You’ll gain the weight back unless you transition from keto to low carb. Either way, it’s common sense that refined white stuff (sugar, flour etc is killing us with diabetes and heart disease).

Also, read data from Virta... a recent 2 year study (which is the length of a “long term diet study” in case you’re curious) showing a massive rate of remission in biomarkers of people suffering from diabetes.

I’m always curious the rate of the population that is walking around with pre-diabetic A1C levels and they just don’t know it because they don’t go to the doctors and get their vitals checked.

Oh I get it, and we will stay low carb even after this, but I just know we aren't going to do a very strict keto diet forever.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster

Breakfast is served: organic, uncured beef hot dogs with 3 eggs, spinach, and asparagus. All washed down with coffee with a healthy serving of heavy cream!

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
I used to have a pretty good intermittent fasting routine but summer has disrupted that. Skipping breakfast does wonders, drops glycogen way down, produces awesome ketone levels, and really gives a whole body feel that’s hard to describe.

Remember, “breakfast is the most important meal” was coined by Kellog... I wonder how he was trying to sell?!

epcotisbest

I used to have a pretty good intermittent fasting routine but summer has disrupted that. Skipping breakfast does wonders, drops glycogen way down, produces awesome ketone levels, and really gives a whole body feel that’s hard to describe.

Remember, “breakfast is the most important meal” was coined by Kellog... I wonder how he was trying to sell?!

I never skip breakfast. Today's included leftover grilled meatloaf, scrambled eggs and fresh tomato all drizzled with hot sauce.

eggsandmeatloaf.jpg

KCheatle

Way to go @ddbowdoin !! That is an amazing accomplishment! I am in the process now of a quasi-keto diet. I don't follow all of the high fat stuff. I just try to eat protein and veggies, and at night I get a handful of dark chocolate covered gojiberries ;). So, I do eat some sugars. My basic goal is to just stay in ketosis. Thus far, I've been very successful. My go-tos are Jimmy Johns unwiches (any kind), Magic Spoon cereal, and Halo Top pops. I also eat a lot of scrambled eggs :) I also love pork rines that I can dip in spin dip. Oh- and Whisps Cheese Crisps are fantastic!

I'm down about 20 pounds. And, even though the food part isn't too difficult for me anymore (my cravings and sugar addiction have been long gone) it is difficult to be patient and give myself time to lose the weight. So, I can only imagine that you must have the patience of a saint to make it to 100 pounds. I'm mentally ready to start my transition back to a basic portion-control diet without food-type restriction, but I'm not down to my goal yet. So, I've gotta just keep on keeping on.

My issue right now is I had a goal weight in mind, but I've been doing a lot of HIIT, and have gained some muscle. So, now I'm not really sure what my "goal weight" is?? I'm looking more now at my measurements and will start my transition once I hit those, I guess?

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Way to go @ddbowdoin !! That is an amazing accomplishment! I am in the process now of a quasi-keto diet. I don't follow all of the high fat stuff. I just try to eat protein and veggies, and at night I get a handful of dark chocolate covered gojiberries ;). So, I do eat some sugars. My basic goal is to just stay in ketosis. Thus far, I've been very successful. My go-tos are Jimmy Johns unwiches (any kind), Magic Spoon cereal, and Halo Top pops. I also eat a lot of scrambled eggs :) I also love pork rines that I can dip in spin dip. Oh- and Whisps Cheese Crisps are fantastic!

I'm down about 20 pounds. And, even though the food part isn't too difficult for me anymore (my cravings and sugar addiction have been long gone) it is difficult to be patient and give myself time to lose the weight. So, I can only imagine that you must have the patience of a saint to make it to 100 pounds. I'm mentally ready to start my transition back to a basic portion-control diet without food-type restriction, but I'm not down to my goal yet. So, I've gotta just keep on keeping on.

My issue right now is I had a goal weight in mind, but I've been doing a lot of HIIT, and have gained some muscle. So, now I'm not really sure what my "goal weight" is?? I'm looking more now at my measurements and will start my transition once I hit those, I guess?

The big thing is to get a body analysis somewhere... I went full nutrition and lost the 100lb on diet alone. I work on my feet and walk whenever I play golf (I played 100 rounds this summer so its a lot) but otherwise no gym. I'm now at rock bottom weight and am hitting weights heavy and hard, ultimately to throw another 30 lbs of muscle back on. Without a true body fat analysis its hard to know where you stand so you have to go on measurements, visual appearance, and how your clothes fit because the scale will jump from the muscle gain.

I'm big on the high fat as I find it keeps you satiated longer. Also, look into GLUCONEOGENESIS... which can occur when protein levels go to high and your body converts excess amino acids from protein into glucose.

Try to find Rebel Ice Cream... way better than Halo just in terms of carbs and flavor!

Tonight I took some Epic brand Pork Grinds, popped them in a blender... and made chicken tenders fried (in avocado oil of course) and they were amazing! I haven't had a tender in a year... kind of missed those.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
This thread didn't go remotely in the direction i thought it would 😂😂

Congrats on the weight loss, OP. Different things work for different bodies and I'm glad you found works for you!

Disney Analyst

That's what we've been doing, we only eat between 12 and 9. I was 160 two weeks ago (which is heavy for me, had a decent stomach showing), and I'm at 152.2 currently.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
I use reduced sugar ketchup mixed with a little hot sauce for the glaze, and finely crushed pork rinds instead of bread crumbs for the binder. Cooked on the grill with some applewood smoke adds extra flavor.

View attachment 400185

I use products from Primal Kitchen, check your local store... a lot of those brands use maltitol which is pretty bad for you.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
This thread didn't go remotely in the direction i thought it would 😂😂

Congrats on the weight loss, OP. Different things work for different bodies and I'm glad you found works for you!

there's always the naysayers because it starts to creep into the land of threatening their every day logic...

keto or not, we can all agree that America has a HUGE problem with processed white stuff (sugar, flour, etc)

epcotisbest

Well darn, I wish this thread had longer legs. Doing Keto now, and I am not a Reddit-type girl.

Yeah, too bad this thread fizzled out. I have to watch my carb intake because my sugar is high, and I did not exactly eat right over the holidays. Gotta get the sugar and A1C numbers back on track.
Here is today's lunch effort. I try to keep things flavorful and not boring. Boring salads don't work for me.
This is a grilled, boneless, skinless chicken thigh topped with jalapeno pimento cheese and served on a bed of seasoned, slow-simmered navy beans and topped with hot sauce. Doctor says beans are a good source of fiber, I just have to make them less boring with spices and seasoning.

0290D3E9-1343-4D34-9E43-450ECA1048A8.jpeg

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Yesterday’s dinner. Shrimp scampi with spiralized zucchini “”pasta”.

3521E3D5-8028-4C52-8526-24185932A0A0.jpeg

I’m also doing intermittent fasting, so no meal yet today.

epcotisbest

Yesterday’s dinner. Shrimp scampi with spiralized zucchini “”pasta”.

View attachment 525866

I’m also doing intermittent fasting, so no meal yet today.

We got a spiralizer attachment for the Kitchenaid stand mixer but have not used it much yet. I don't have the self discipline to do the intermittent fasting. I am strictly a three meals a day healthy snacks in between guy. My wife can easily skip meals or eat at different times, but not me.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
We got a spiralizer attachment for the Kitchenaid stand mixer but have not used it much yet. I don't have the self discipline to do the intermittent fasting. I am strictly a three meals a day healthy snacks in between guy. My wife can easily skip meals or eat at different times, but not me.
I normally don’t eat until early afternoon (as shared in many of my live trip reports), which makes people raise their eyebrows and give me lectures.

Call it “intermittent fasting” though, and all of a sudden everybody says “Oh good for you. How is that working out?” :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom