Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Mr Mindcrime

Why do empathy and understanding disappear online (and especially on social media)?
Anonymity, which allows a few people to truly display their hearts. Even where anonymity isn't in play, a keyboard (vs face to face) seems to embolden people.

But take heart, as the number of people writing these kinds of posts are not necessarily representative of the population at large. Granted, most people are self-serving at the core, but MANY people are very caring and empathetic and generous to their fellow human. That just doesn't get the publicity and notice that heartless comments and attitudes get.

Parker in NYC

That's about the worst analogy I could think of.

A 35 year old Dockers-clad manager should not be laid off. And if they are, it's tragic.

But an 85 year old diabetic woman living her last few months on earth in a Nursing Home is going to die soon whether you like it or not. Is that death sad? Yes, especially for her loved ones. But is her death inevitable? Yes.
How Network.

the.dreamfinder

A 35 year old Dockers-clad manager should not be laid off. And if they are, it's tragic.

But an 85 year old diabetic woman living her last few months on earth in a Nursing Home is going to die soon whether you like it or not. Is that death sad? Yes, especially for her loved ones. But is her death inevitable? Yes.
Despicable.

You have no idea how painful that hypothetical 85 year olds’ death would be. How expensive it is to treat a COVID patient like that who will end up dying. A 35 year old manager can collect unemployment and get another job, the 85 year old doesn’t get to say goodbye to their loved ones because they’ll be intubated.

Your presence here during the pandemic has brought shame to this forum as you have spread lies and misinformation and meted out cruel indifference to the preventable loss of life and long term side effects of this disease.

TrainsOfDisney

Wow.

I haven’t been following the Disneyland threads since... they are still closed.

I always liked your posts about the parks and I’m sad you’d take such a heartless position. :-/

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sneaky Disney, announce the cast of Festival of the Lion King is returning and then follow it up with more layoffs on the way in March. Everyone will be excited with Lion King coming back that no one will notice more layoffs coming. 🙄
...well the 19 people laid off will notice, I doubt any guests will.

EPCOT-O.G.

Disneyland is closed because the pandemic is not getting any better, it is getting worse and the sooner you guys pull your collective heads out of your butts the quicker we can get rid of this thing. Until then, if you are not part of the solution than you, by god, are part of the problem.
I’m sorry, but the shaming of people is getting tedious. Those that have been exceedingly careful are getting infected. States that have been extraordinarily restrictive - chiefly, California - are getting slammed despite very aggressive efforts to contain and mitigate this thing. Maybe a bit of humility is in order rather than pointing fingers at people that don’t live up to your expectations.

Parker in NYC

I’m sorry, but the shaming of people is getting tedious. Those that have been exceedingly careful are getting infected. States that have been extraordinarily restrictive - chiefly, California - are getting slammed despite very aggressive efforts to contain and mitigate this thing. Maybe a bit of humility is in order rather than pointing fingers at people that don’t live up to your expectations.
Boo hoo. If grown adults are offended by the criticism, maybe they should leave the country to find a more empathetic safe space...

Goofyernmost

They aren't my expectations, they are ignoring advice from experts because it is more convenient to just make like nothing is happening and they, those that have spent their life studying and trying to determine the best avenue to end this thing are being shouted down by those that barely got out of high school, if they did. If doing that small thing to save lives is just to much to ask then THEY deserve to be shamed because it is shameful, like it or not. As far as those that are doing what they are supposed to do to help, it would seem that they should know that what I said does not apply to them, it is those that don't and you can defend that bunch until you run out of breath and I won't care one little bit.

TP2000

Despicable.

You have no idea how painful that hypothetical 85 year olds’ death would be. How expensive it is to treat a COVID patient like that who will end up dying. A 35 year old manager can collect unemployment and get another job, the 85 year old doesn’t get to say goodbye to their loved ones because they’ll be intubated.

Your presence here during the pandemic has brought shame to this forum as you have spread lies and misinformation and meted out cruel indifference to the preventable loss of life and long term side effects of this disease.

Perhaps my point of reference on Nursing Home deaths is skewed because in the last 12 months I had two different people who had been very close to me for a very long time go off to a Nursing Home and then pass away a few months later? They didn't die of Covid, they died because they were very old ladies in their 80's who were slipping away and spent their last few months in a Nursing Home.

When you get sent to a Nursing Home in your 80's, it's rarely going to be a long-term housing situation. I knew that when they went, and thus it was not surprising when I got the phone call they had just died a matter of months after they had arrived at the Nursing Home.

Over 40% of American Covid deaths were in Nursing Homes in 2020. (And again, my two loved ones did not have Covid, but the statistic remains.)

Death happens. It is very sad for the loved ones left behind. But death does happen. I am not going to pretend that death does not happen, nor will I pander to people who want to pretend that death doesn't happen.

Last edited:

TP2000

Wow.

I haven’t been following the Disneyland threads since... they are still closed.

I always liked your posts about the parks and I’m sad you’d take such a heartless position. :-/

If it helps you any, regarding my post directly above about my two loved ones who died in Nursing Homes in the past year (not of Covid), I shed tears for both of them. One death in particular was hard because it was even harder on two family members. The surviving family all rallied together.

Death is often tragic for the loved ones left behind. But death does happen. Especially in Nursing Homes.

That is blunt. But it is the honest truth.

And so in my mind, laying off a 35 year old manager seems more preventable than keeping an 85 year old alive in a Nursing Home.

Last edited:

TP2000

Well, an 85-year-old has a 25% chance of living 9 years or more years.

Not if they're living in a Nursing Home they don't. Which was the quote and context my comment was made in.

There's a reason why patients in Nursing Homes don't get to decorate their rooms much beyond some potted plants, a favorite blanket on the bed, and framed photos on a shelf. Most patients there will measure their stay in months, not years, and then will be replaced by a new patient in that same room once they pass away. Rinse and repeat.

Lilofan

Not if they're living in a Nursing Home they don't. Which was the quote and context my comment was made in.

There's a reason why patients in Nursing Homes don't get to decorate their rooms much beyond some potted plants, a favorite blanket on the bed, and framed photos on a shelf. Most patients there will measure their stay in months, not years, and then will be replaced by a new patient in that same room once they pass away. Rinse and repeat.
This is a bizarre and marcabre way of thinking.

TP2000

This is a bizarre and marcabre way of thinking.

It is macabre, I agree. But such is the nature of living in a Nursing Home.

Is it "bizarre"? I don't consider it bizarre, I consider it forthright.

I know from recent first hand experience before they stopped letting visitors in last spring. Nursing Homes are no fun to live in, and your stay there is often measured only in months. That's just the simple, yet sad, truth.

EDITED TO ADD:
Apparently, from this quick Google search, the average length of stay in US Nursing Homes in the 21st century is 5 months. 53% of Nursing Home residents die less than 6 months after they arrive at that home.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

It is macabre, I agree. But such is the nature of living in a Nursing Home.

Is it "bizarre"? I don't consider it bizarre, I consider it forthright.

I know from recent first hand experience before they stopped letting visitors in last spring. Nursing Homes are no fun to live in, and your stay there is often measured only in months. That's just the simple, yet sad, truth.

EDITED TO ADD:
Apparently, from this quick Google search, the average length of stay in US Nursing Homes in the 21st century is 5 months. 53% of Nursing Home residents die less than 6 months after they arrive at that home.

Do you differentiate assisted living, lifecare, full nursing and long term nursing facilities?

TP2000

Do you differentiate assisted living, lifecare, full nursing and long term nursing facilities?

No. I know that's a thing in the medical community, and there are clinical differences between those categories.

But I've always just called them "Nursing Homes". I had two elderly loved ones die in a Nursing Home in the last year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom