RIP - ROL

rle4lunch

That would be amazing, but the amount of gps tech that would have to be installed around SSL and BL would never let that happen.

Also, for the record, in theory a WoC style show could happen in DAK, but think about this:
World of Color in DCA is one of the most expensive to build and maintain night shows that Disney has ever done, and it was done in a body of water that was already treated, had a concrete bottom, wasn’t too big, and was (comparatively) shallow. Imagine doing that in a body of water that met none of those criteria. Your costs just skyrocketed just to give a park a nighttime show that could be better accomplished with non-permanent tech.

So, Harmonious? lol

Thelazer

Original Poster
They could have just brought them out, locked them in place for the show and only used the fountian tech on them.. then bring them backstage each night (or hell leave them in the lagoon) no GPS needed for that.

gerarar

Premium Member
Here’s the confirmation with pictures:
61996D2E-1A74-4B1D-B3E7-C1C32B88BF01.jpeg

163C1224-F368-4170-A959-204807A01812.jpeg

Later to be taken out of the marina.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Here’s the confirmation with pictures:
What is being confirmed?

We've got a couple of different scenarios. One poster had said they were taken off-site, and another had said they were being moved to a storage area still at DAK. These pictures don't seem to tell his anything beyond they have been worked on in the marina - unless I'm missing something.

Prototype82

Rivers of Light was beautiful. Its costumes and floats were like nothing we've seen before. It deserved so much better than what happened to it. I see that the floats appear to have been carefully opened up...My hope is that they are taking the tech out to repurpose it and the sculptures themselves will be moved to storage. I don't think my heart could take seeing them destroyed...

Last edited:

esskay

So all thats actually 'confirmed' is that they are out of the water? Hold the press!

Why would they scrap them when they can park them up back stage until a new plan can be figured out. Even if they stored them for 5 years and then refurbed them its still a vastly better option than dumping them only to have to rebuild something later.

We're talking about the company that kept the 20,000 Leagues subs sitting backstage for well over a decade.

techgeek

So all thats actually 'confirmed' is that they are out of the water? Hold the press!

Why would they scrap them when they can park them up back stage until a new plan can be figured out. Even if they stored them for 5 years and then refurbed them its still a vastly better option than dumping them only to have to rebuild something later.

We're talking about the company that kept the 20,000 Leagues subs sitting backstage for well over a decade.

...and interestingly enough, the same company that had most of the Reflections of Earth barges either cut into scrap or sold off at auction within weeks of the last show.

esskay

...and interestingly enough, the same company that had most of the Reflections of Earth barges either cut into scrap or sold off at auction within weeks of the last show.
I can kinda understand that one, they already had a replacement lined up so they were never going to serve a purpose. Plus they're just big generic barges, so you couldn't even use them as show pieces at conventions.

the.dreamfinder

As in tech that could be moved on and off stage? Radical.
Apologies if this has been asked already elsewhere, but why did they choose to keep the barges for Harmonious in WS Lagoon? Was it technical or more the logistics in having to keep the bridge up for an extended period of time every night to bring them out?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Apologies if this has been asked already elsewhere, but why did they choose to keep the barges for Harmonious in WS Lagoon? Was it technical or more the logistics in having to keep the bridge up for an extended period of time every night to bring them out?
Apparently there was concern of prolonged bridge opening in bad weather. Because they’re so damn big.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Also the same company who were forced to scrap Spectromagic due to how they handled its storage.

In all fairness the 20K subs were beyond saving way before they reached landfill.

Weren't the 20K subs sabotaged by ops anyway? I remember reading a story along those lines, that they deliberately let maintenance on the subs lag before a visit by Eisner, after which 20K was shut down after he saw the condition of the ride.

Spectromagic... Still a sore subject for me.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Weren't the 20K subs sabotaged by ops anyway? I remember reading a story along those lines, that they deliberately let maintenance on the subs lag before a visit by Eisner, after which 20K was shut down after he saw the condition of the ride.

Spectromagic... Still a sore subject for me.
Not sabotaged per se, but rumours a bound that there may have been more than one bucket of water chucked on the floor before Eisner boarded.

kpilcher

Not sabotaged per se, but rumours a bound that there may have been more than one bucket of water chucked on the floor before Eisner boarded.
Forgive me, I believe it was Ovitz. Eisner asked him to check on why 20K was down as part of a "get to know WDW" visit early in his brief tenure. Ops picked the worst sub in the fleet and added the buckets of water to show leakage. Ovitz got off and swore to Eisner that thing should be scrapped. No saving it. At least that's a shorthand of the version I've heard most consistently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom