"DAK II Expansion"

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

Original Poster
Except that it's been confirmed that what's on Joe's shoe is finished projects. And unless there is a secret Zootopia in DAK, it isn't DAK II Expansion.

As mentioned above, DAK II Expansion is all the stuff that made DAK a full day park: Nighttime safari and rides, RoL, Tree of Life Awakenings, etc...
That's another reason I don't believe it.

Brer Oswald

I’m going to list off the reasons why I think this rumour has come back:

1. Ever since the success of Zootopia, Disney fans have speculated how it would fit into the Disney Parks. Zootopia has animals, and we have a park called Animal Kingdom, so it’s a “natural” fit.

2. DAK has an underutilizes area in Rafiki’s Planet Watch. Rafiki has a train. Zootopia has a train. Everyone and their mother has “come up” with this idea.

3. In 2017, Disney announced that they were cloning their Shanghai coaster “Tron Lightcycle” to Florida’s Magic Kingdom. Disney clones a lot of attractions these days. Of course they could clone the upcoming Zootopia expansion in Florida!

4. Joe Rohde left WDI at the end of 2020. He was actively against Zootopia in DAK. It’s only logical that, with him out of the way, they will now add Zootopia to DAK.

5. “DAK Expansion II” on the boots. What could that mean? Of course! It’s ZOOTOPIA!!!

This seems to be more evidence based speculation rather than a true rumour. All of these pieces of “evidence” justify, to a lot of Disney fans, the inclusion of Zootopia in the near future. And while some points are plausible, here are a few reasons why we may not be seeing this anytime soon (or at all):

1. The credible “suite” of insiders on WDWMagic deny that this was ever a thing. While they certainly aren’t infallible, it’s very unlikely that this slipped past all of them. While it is also possible that this was approved incredibly recently, it is rather unlikely given the circumstances of the Pandemic, as well as the credible Indy rumour getting shelved due to the current world situation.

2. Zootopia was a smash hit in China, which is why it is coming to Shanghai. It did well over here, but it didn’t leave the greatest impact out of the modern Disney Animated films. It’s barely relevant in North America 5 years later, and it is unlikely to remain relevant by the time they would hypothetically add this to DAK (unless a sequel is planned).

3. Disney rarely clones full lands. Galaxy’s Edge was planned to be cloned. Aside from that, you have similarities between lands in the Castle Parks (although they aren’t exact clones).

4. There are multiple factors into Rohde’s retirement. You could argue that he just wanted to move on. He’s been there for awhile. You could also make the point about Disney’s dwindling desire to keep high profile Imagineers in the current circumstances. Both of these reasons take priority over a Zootopia land.

5. As Penguin pointed out, the message on the boots refers to additions already made.

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

Original Poster
I’m going to list off the reasons why I think this rumour has come back:

1. Ever since the success of Zootopia, Disney fans have speculated how it would fit into the Disney Parks. Zootopia has animals, and we have a park called Animal Kingdom, so it’s a “natural” fit.

2. DAK has an underutilizes area in Rafiki’s Planet Watch. Rafiki has a train. Zootopia has a train. Everyone and their mother has “come up” with this idea.

3. In 2017, Disney announced that they were cloning their Shanghai coaster “Tron Lightcycle” to Florida’s Magic Kingdom. Disney clones a lot of attractions these days. Of course they could clone the upcoming Zootopia expansion in Florida!

4. Joe Rohde left WDI at the end of 2020. He was actively against Zootopia in DAK. It’s only logical that, with him out of the way, they will now add Zootopia to DAK.

5. “DAK Expansion II” on the boots. What could that mean? Of course! It’s ZOOTOPIA!!!

This seems to be more evidence based speculation rather than a true rumour. All of these pieces of “evidence” justify, to a lot of Disney fans, the inclusion of Zootopia in the near future. And while some points are plausible, here are a few reasons why we may not be seeing this anytime soon (or at all):

1. The credible “suite” of insiders on WDWMagic deny that this was ever a thing. While they certainly aren’t infallible, it’s very unlikely that this slipped past all of them. While it is also possible that this was approved incredibly recently, it is rather unlikely given the circumstances of the Pandemic, as well as the credible Indy rumour getting shelved due to the current world situation.

2. Zootopia was a smash hit in China, which is why it is coming to Shanghai. It did well over here, but it didn’t leave the greatest impact out of the modern Disney Animated films. It’s barely relevant in North America 5 years later, and it is unlikely to remain relevant by the time they would hypothetically add this to DAK (unless a sequel is planned).

3. Disney rarely clones full lands. Galaxy’s Edge was planned to be cloned. Aside from that, you have similarities between lands in the Castle Parks (although they aren’t exact clones).

4. There are multiple factors into Rohde’s retirement. You could argue that he just wanted to move on. He’s been there for awhile. You could also make the point about Disney’s dwindling desire to keep high profile Imagineers in the current circumstances. Both of these reasons take priority over a Zootopia land.

5. As Penguin pointed out, the message on the boots refers to additions already made.
this up here GIF by Chord Overstreet

Disneyson

Without getting too political, I think that it would be interesting to green light this on the heels of PatF (in Splash), considering the optics of a police officer being one of the lead characters and the film’s unique way of dealing with social issues that may or may not have aged well in this particular cultural climate. I really liked the film when it came out - thought it was genius, actually - but haven’t really given it much thought through today’s filter.

TrojanUSC

Without speculating too much, what if Rohde left because he didn’t want to hang around waiting for an opportunity to do a “Joe” project and would rather do other things with his time?

Indeed and also what if there's a good early retirement package for execs and what if he could make more money giving speeches, writing books and capitalizing on his well known persona.

Brer Oswald

Without getting too political, I think that it would be interesting to green light this on the heels of PatF (in Splash), considering the optics of a police officer being one of the lead characters and the film’s unique way of dealing with social issues that may or may not have aged well in this particular cultural climate. I really liked the film when it came out - thought it was genius, actually - but haven’t really given it much thought through today’s filter.
There’s issues with the optics of that flower in the film, and how it can be equated to drug use. A lot of the same Twitter accounts that are “Pro Splash Retheme” are very much against Zootopia. But many of them are also spineless, just want a media pass, and will say what Disney wants them to, so I have no doubt that this would be a non-issue for the company.

FigmentFan82

It makes as much sense as putting that forgettable garbage of a movie into DAK.
Harsh. Many enjoy that movie, but just like all art, be it movies, music, interpretive dance, etc, it is all subjective.

I absolutely love Zootopia. that's just me.

That being said, the only reason I'd see a Zootopia land (or just attraction) pop up in Florida is that Disney has shown themselves to be very clone happy, which the latest bacth not even re-skinning to attempt something slightly different. So if at some point down the road TDO does announce Zootopia is coming to Florida, it would not surprise me at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom