News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

HarperRose

There was a line about transportation continuing to be free “for wdw resort guests” - not sure if that means anything or not.
Disney refers to the entirety of WDW as the Walt Disney World Resort. Their use of it causes a lot of confusion, especially when it comes to transportation.

TrainsOfDisney

Disney refers to the entirety of WDW as the Walt Disney World Resort. Their use of it causes a lot of confusion, especially when it comes to transportation.
I’m so used to that phrasing that I typed the normal “wdw Resort guest” - but the actual quote is -

“Additionally, complimentary transportation options – such as buses, monorails and Disney Skyliner – will continue to be available within Walt Disney World Resort for Disney Resort hotel guests, including to and from all four theme parks."

lazyboy97o

With DME gone, more people will rent cars/vans/SUVs at the airport. This will also cause more traffic and more parking spots at the resorts to be filled. I guess this is good if you're in charge of the revenue stream that comes from overnight parking fees.
And more emissions that I am sure Disney will not count against their environmental goals.

Jrb1979

With DME gone, more people will rent cars/vans/SUVs at the airport. This will also cause more traffic and more parking spots at the resorts to be filled. I guess this is good if you're in charge of the revenue stream that comes from overnight parking fees.
Disney wishes that happens. I foresee people opting to stay off property more now.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
In many cases you can rent a car for one day cheaper than a taxi ride from the airport. Tell the hotel you won't be parking overnight so you won't get charged. Use it to buy local groceries. Drop it off at a car rental lot at a Disney Springs hotel. Walk to Disney Springs to get back in the bubble.

Did it twice (though the purpose of the car was mainly to pick up someone at the airport arriving much later than I).

aliceismad

In many cases you can rent a car for one day cheaper than a taxi ride from the airport. Tell the hotel you won't be parking overnight so you won't get charged. Use it to buy local groceries. Drop it off at a car rental lot at a Disney Springs hotel. Walk to Disney Springs to get back in the bubble.

Did it twice (though the purpose of the car was mainly to pick up someone at the airport arriving much later than I).
We once rented a one-day car at the car care center on WDW property via free shuttle, drove to Port Canaveral, dropped it off there and got a free shuttle to the port. It was easy peasy. I don't know if it's an option to rent at the airport and then drop off at the car care center. Not as easy as ME, but it's an option for those who dislike Uber.

SteveAZee

LOL, it'd be interesting if this becomes something a LOT of people do...

For me, I just rent points at OKW so keeping the car overnight is covered (not literally) and it comes in handy during the trip.

mattpeto

While this sounds like solid workaround, there are still caveats:
  1. In 2018, I waited a solid hour to pickup my rental car. Those lines can be brutal, but I admit that might not the norm.
  2. Grabbing your own bags slows you down and is a hassle
  3. Can be a stressful drive trying to get on property if you aren't used to it (or have your mother-in-law in your passenger seat)
  4. You still have to get back to the airport too, guessing you just do the one day rental from Disney Springs to airport? You just bring your bags on normal Disney transportation

UNCgolf

While this sounds like solid workaround, there are still caveats:
  1. In 2018, I waited a solid hour to pickup my rental car. Those lines can be brutal, but I admit that might not the norm.
  2. Grabbing your own bags slows you down and is a hassle
  3. Can be a stressful drive trying to get on property if you aren't used to it (or have your mother-in-law in your passenger seat)
  4. You still have to get back to the airport too, guessing you just do the one day rental from Disney Springs to airport? You just bring your bags on normal Disney transportation

Even more than that, if this became a thing a lot of people do (and not just a one day rental, but renting cars in general due to the removal of DME) it may be hard to even get one. There's a limited supply of rental cars; it's not like they have thousands and thousands just sitting around waiting for someone to get.

aliceismad

Even more than that, if this became a thing a lot of people do (and not just a one day rental, but renting cars in general due to the removal of DME) it may be hard to even get one. There's a limited supply of rental cars; it's not like they have thousands and thousands just sitting around waiting for someone to get.
And of course the demand will cause the price of rentals (which seemed pretty reasonable last time I checked) to go up.

corran horn

yeah, this is called an 'ancillary benefit' to them.

TiggerDad

Dolphin also had car rentals that presumably will reopen at some point. I found that more convenient than Car Care Center or Springs.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Ouch just looked at the Minnie Vans which are temporarily unavailable, but they are $155 EACH way to and from MCO....:cautious:.
Their drivers were let go.....due to covid.......I want my Magical Express bus....:arghh:

1610746647605.png

aliceismad

Ouch just looked at the Minnie Vans which are temporarily unavailable, but they are $155 EACH way to and from MCO....:cautious:.
Their drivers were let go.....due to covid.......I want my Magical Express bus....:arghh:
Universal's SuperStar shuttle is $39 per adult and $29 per kid roundtrip. That's not bad. Of course the Magical Express option for free AND being able to skip baggage claim was better.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Universal's SuperStar shuttle is $39 per adult and $29 per kid roundtrip. That's not bad. Of course the Magical Express option for free AND being able to skip baggage claim was better.
I will be in mourning for some time.......funny I was planning a trip to DLR this time last year, and was bummed they didn't have same service, trying to figure out the logistics for that.....but alas......😒 It is rather like someone popped the bubble.....:oops:

seabreezept813

I'm looking forward to the train Brightline that will connect airport to Disney Springs in 2023. I love trains. It should run every half hour or more frequently, which isn't too bad for waiting. I don't mind hauling luggage because I have 2 teen sons who can do it. Once I get to DS, we can uber to the hotel.

I know that sounds complicated, but I suspect that's what Disney is expecting everybody to do in the future. I mean, why else have a train line from airport to WDW? It's to remove the DME. There can be no other reason.

Disney can resume the luggage hauling option so that people can take the train to DS without luggage, then jump on the DS resort bus. That way, each hotel's DS bus doubles as the airport bus. And those who want to haul luggage will have to take uber at DS. It's more clumsy than the DME, but not impossible.

I only wonder how close the train station will be to the bus station?
This would only be comparable if the train ticket was paid for by Disney and they had a Disney compartment playing the cheesy welcome videos. While I am sure that will never happen, it might be the one thing I’d find acceptable. Assuming luggage service of course.

seabreezept813

View attachment 524472
That’s like paying for an additional plane ticket. And the families who need these for car seats probably don’t have a ton of extra dough to spare. Daycare years are tough financial years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom