• I've Only Ridden One, So Cannot Compare

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • None Of The Above. I Hate That Dirty Ape

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sctble

Original Poster
1112021c.jpg

Pretty straightforward debate: For those of you fortunate enough to have experienced both the original Kongfrontation at USF and Skull Island at IOA, which beast is best? Are you more for the practical effects and set designs of the original, and enjoyed riding through NYC on a suspended tram as the ape does his work? Or do you prefer the jungle tram taking you through the action scenes in the newer take? What elements did one succeed at while the other didn't quite hit the mark, if any? Which Kong is king? (At least for you.)

Tom Morrow

The original ride was so much more ambitious and immersive. The new ride has an immersive queue, facade, entrance, etc., sure, but once you're inside, it's non-immersive screens. I'm not saying the new ride is bad, it's legions better and more creative than F&F. It's just still pretty lackluster and makes the modern Universal mistake of having you watch the action rather than having the action happen to you. Universal thinks people don't want experiences like the original anymore, but if they built the same concept today with animatronics as good as the one in the new ride and modern special effects, people would like it.

macefamily

I think each attraction has its own base. One was Kong in the urban environment which I liked very much. The subway even had the horrible smells that you smell in the city. The new Kong ride gives a great presentation of Kong in his primal environment with the riders being the intruders into his environment. Two different perspectives; both very entertaining.

Frankenstein79

I really miss Kongfrontation and all other the attractions they've gotten rid of. Jaws, Back to the Future and Ghostbusters are classics that should still be there today. Disney hasn't gotten rid of Pirates, Haunted and Space Mountain.

I don't care for the new King Kong, not only is it the lesser (Peter Jackson) version, but it also has poor visibility.

Last edited:

Frankenstein79

I think each attraction has its own base. One was Kong in the urban environment which I liked very much. The subway even had the horrible smells that you smell in the city. The new Kong ride gives a great presentation of Kong in his primal environment with the riders being the intruders into his environment. Two different perspectives; both very entertaining.

That may have been me. :) jk

I loved the line in the New York subway. Back then they really knew how to make you feel like you were in the movies. Same goes for E.T.'s forest queue/line, I find myself remembering them sometimes more than the attractions.

JT3000

I really miss Kongfrontation and all other the attractions they've gotten rid of. Jaws, Back to the Future and Ghostbusters are classics that should still be there today. Disney haven't gotten rid of Pirates, Haunted and Space Mountain.

I don't care for the new King Kong, not only is it the lesser (Peter Jackson) version, but it also has poor visibility.
Lesser than the 1976 version that Kongfrontation was based on? 🤔

Sctble

Original Poster
The original ride was so much more ambitious and immersive. The new ride has an immersive queue, facade, entrance, etc., sure, but once you're inside, it's non-immersive screens. I'm not saying the new ride is bad, it's legions better and more creative than F&F. It's just still pretty lackluster and makes the modern Universal mistake of having you watch the action rather than having the action happen to you. Universal thinks people don't want experiences like the original anymore, but if they built the same concept today with animatronics as good as the one in the new ride and modern special effects, people would like it.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts. The original felt so much more "real" due to the practical sets and placing you in the action rather than watching it unfold.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I really miss Kongfrontation and all other the attractions they've gotten rid of. Jaws, Back to the Future and Ghostbusters are classics that should still be there today. Disney hasn't gotten rid of Pirates, Haunted and Space Mountain.

Part of me keeps hoping for a JAWS reboot. I'm kinda torn here, 'cause I think it would be terrible and an insult to the original - but we may get a new ride out of it.

Maybe Chris Pratt can play Hooper and later we can get some type of JW crossover. Like a Universal version of Sharknado. Now, Sharknado would make for a cool ride too. I'm secretly hoping that Uni buys Asylum.

Could you imagine the types of rides/lands (maybe a park) we could get? Sharknado, Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus, Abraham Lincoln vs Zombies, Mega Python vs Gatoroid.

But considering NBC Universal owns Syfy - I'll settle for a Jersey Shore Shark Attack ride with an animatronic Joey Fatone.

AEfx

Kongfrontation, along with Jaws, truly pains me that they no longer exist. You can also add The Great Movie Ride to that list. These were the pinnacle of large-scale, pre-screen state of the art dark rides. I doubt I’ll ever have those same visceral feelings on any new rides again.

Robbiem

I’ve only ridden the original ride in Florida but it was one of the things which sticks in my mind from first visiting uni almost 30 years ago. It was a really unique experience and its a shame it was removed. I wish they'd built a version in Japan as it might still be around like their version of jaws

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom