News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

sublimesting

I fear that the Disney we have come to know and love pre-COVID is not going to be the Disney we are left with post-COVID. There have been so many cuts in entertainment, shows, Magical Express etc., that it is going to force Disney to change their business model but it also may show Disney that they can take a cheaper alternative and make a lot of these cuts permanent. I envision a more streamlined and lean Disney experience in the future. For example: Less show times, less Streetsmosphere, less shows.... less perks. A lot of businesses have been forced to change during COVID and are finding cheaper alternatives.

bcoachable

Not the entire message I got back, because the rest was thanking me for contacting them and linking me to relevant information, but:

"A lot has changed since we originally launched the service 15 years ago. Today, our Guests are seeking more flexible options that can save time with using a direct service to reach their destinations. Guests are also able to better plan for their arrival and departure days. We apologize for your disappointment with the announced changes. You may be certain that your thoughtful comments were valued and they have been shared with the appropriate Leaders."

I would definitely recommend for everyone who cares about this issue to reach out to Disney. I don't think there's precedent of them going back on something because of backlash, but it can't hurt to let them know how you feel
Thanks

Club Cooloholic

That happened so long ago, I can barely remember. I am now vaguely remembering a time when Magic Kingdom had extra magic hours till 1 AM (maybe even later). Those were well...magical. Such a shame to see them reduced to this.
Honestly, if they had longer hours, then you would not need FPs. Families would be in the park more during normal hours and others would probably try to go later. Result? Less crowded for everyone.

SamusAranX

Just thinking of all the single parents with little ones trying to navigate the airport and transportation with one or more children, multiple bags, no help even from Disney. How will they do it? How are they doing it now?

Hint: They don't. my single mom just couldn't afford a Disney trip for four, even in the 2000's. Didn't stop her from making great summer memories; we would drive to Ohio, stay with friends, hit up the lakes and Cedar Point. Go to Virginia to see my grandmother. And she would scrimp and save for universal passes, which back then the Power Pass was only 97 a year for BOTH parks. Obviously those days are long gone.

I was fortunate that my dad had a great job even after the divorce; but even then we only did discounted days/packages from military options, but we never stayed onsite. Too prohibitive and why bother living in Orlando anyway.

UNCgolf

"A lot has changed since we originally launched the service 15 years ago. Today, our Guests are seeking more flexible options that can save time with using a direct service to reach their destinations. Guests are also able to better plan for their arrival and departure days. We apologize for your disappointment with the announced changes. You may be certain that your thoughtful comments were valued and they have been shared with the appropriate Leaders."

The bolded part of this response is hilarious. It implies that as long as they offered Magical Express, guests were forced to use it and could not seek out these more flexible options! We have to eliminate DME so that people can use an Uber if they want!

HarperRose

The bolded part of this response is hilarious. It implies that as long as they offered Magical Express, guests were forced to use it and could not seek out these more flexible options! We have to eliminate DME so that people can use an Uber if they want!
I thought the same. Do they think they're replying to people who aren't familiar with the service? I mean, really, what a stupid response.

corran horn

Exactly. It's getting fired and your boss telling you it's so you can have flexibility in where you work.

UNCgolf

Where is that?

I assume anywhere within driving distance? WDW falls in that category for me, along with many other places.

Or anywhere with a robust public transit system, but that basically means Europe (which is a great place to go and I would go there more often if I could!) or a few areas in Asia.

bcoachable

Where is that?
I have spent the day researching...
looks like Telluride for our family this spring break!
Can't believe a ski trip is more affordable than a disney trip at this point.
We will drive. We love windshield time with the fam.
They have a free gondola from town to the village once we arrive, so I can park it and put the keys away.
Can't wait to go make some MAGICAL memories!
Edit to add just for TrainChasers- there is a super cool Train in Durango that cruises up to Silverton ( I am sure you are already aware!)

legwand77

That is your take from that? You are reading to much into that. They are just saying the data shows less people are using ME and either renting cars, taking direct shuttles, Uber etc. Sure some people love ME but less and less than 5-10 years ago.

TrainsOfDisney

That I don't have to use a rideshare service? Anywhere else in the world that has public transportation. 😂 I've used Uber twice in my life. It is not an option I consider when choosing a vacation destination.
Orlando has public transportation.

I have spent the day researching...
looks like Telluride for our family this spring break!
Can't believe a ski trip is more affordable than a disney trip at this point.
We will drive. We love windshield time with the fam.
They have a free gondola from town to the village once we arrive, so I can park it and put the keys away.
Can't wait to go make some MAGICAL memories!
First of all... I love that area! I’d recommend a ride on the Durango & Silverton and a visit to Mesa Verde while you’re there. Also the gondola is quite nice... i don’t ski but it’s fun to watch the skiers zip down the mountain from the little cabin.

But I’m not sure I understand the comparison. You were choosing between driving to telluride and flying to Disney world and the lack of a free shuttle made the difference?

HarperRose

Orlando has public transportation.

First of all... I love that area! I’d recommend a ride on the Durango & Silverton and a visit to Mesa Verde while you’re there. Also the gondola is quite nice... i don’t ski but it’s fun to watch the skiers zip down the mountain from the little cabin.

But I’m not sure I understand the comparison. You were choosing between driving to telluride and flying to Disney world and the lack of a free shuttle made the difference?
I'd make the choice to drive in a town of around 2,000 people vs 2 million, too. There is no comparison between driving around Telluride and the Orlando area.

I have always found is amusing how some people get so worked up about others choosing to vacation somewhere other than Disney World.

Club Cooloholic

Hint: They don't. my single mom just couldn't afford a Disney trip for four, even in the 2000's. Didn't stop her from making great summer memories; we would drive to Ohio, stay with friends, hit up the lakes and Cedar Point. Go to Virginia to see my grandmother. And she would scrimp and save for universal passes, which back then the Power Pass was only 97 a year for BOTH parks. Obviously those days are long gone.

I was fortunate that my dad had a great job even after the divorce; but even then we only did discounted days/packages from military options, but we never stayed onsite. Too prohibitive and why bother living in Orlando anyway.
Parents do a lot to make their kids happy! That said, there are many single parents with multiple kids, sometimes it's because there is no spouse or sometimes the spouse can't make it. I will add in that I imagine elderly folks also really benefited from this service too. To drop your bags at the takeoff airport and not see them till they are in your room must have helped a lot of people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom