Trip Report Masksgiving: a daring escape

Okay, maybe the title is a little misleading. It wasn't all that daring...

So, the Brifraz clan made a second trip to WDW since all the re-opening. This time, a little more aware of what to expect but also a little more wary because of what we were expecting. For those who might have missed it, we headed to the World this summer for two weeks in July, just a short time after all four parks had reopened. It was certainly an odd trip - and not just because of the COVID precautions - both @MeffysMom and I had significant amounts of work that we were doing (she was taking an AP teachers course for half the trip and I was writing curriculum for a few days). We found that the limited offerings (no shows and no fireworks) were disappointing, but the limited crowds and lines were pretty refreshing. You can read all about that one if you want - July Trip Report.

As a family with three people in different local high schools, our lives are pretty much dictated by the school calendars, so upon returning from that summer trip, we all were getting ready for the unique situation that has been this school year. At the time, we didn't know whether we would be in-person, virtual, or some hybrid. So there was quite a bit of anguish and frustration in terms of planning (only augmented by the fact that I'm a music teacher and had to have three distinct plans for marching band, which should have started in early August). Eventually, our school board decided that we would be starting the year with virtual learning (our schools start after Labor Day), but moving to a hybrid model October 19th so we were planning basically a month with the virtual approach and then figuring out how to make a hybrid plan work.

Without getting into too much complaining and woe, I'll just say it was tough for all three of us. Teaching music virtually is certainly not an ideal scenario for me, my wife's school administration was changing the rules/guidelines for students on a daily basis, and our daughter was trying to cope with her senior year activities getting cancelled one-by-one. At some point in there, I began having small group/socially distant/masked but in-person marching band activity which was great for the kids but a LOT of additional work to normal for myself (and support staff). Then a couple days before we were supposed to move to the hybrid plan, the Board of Ed decided to stick with virtual for another couple weeks. So, plans all had to be re-made and adjusted and changed. Suffice to say, we were all a little stressed. Which meant, that @MeffysMom started 'relaxing' by shopping online for cheap hotel rooms at Disney so we could escape for a few days.

Now in mid-October, she found a pretty good deal on the Holiday Inn right next to Disney Springs, so we decided to go ahead and book a brief visit - driving down on the night before Thanksgiving and then leaving the Sunday after. Plans were made, ideas hatched, ideas were revised, others recent reports were read. Basically got all our ducks into rows as best we could. Then (much to our surprise), we found ourselves back in school buildings on November 5th in a hybrid model with less than half the students opting to be in the building and those spread out into two groups (so about 20% of students in person on any given day) which lasted a whopping four days. Not going to get into the politics of all of this, but the fact that our local Board of Ed is making decisions that impact over 25,000 students and 2000 teachers just a day or two before implementing them and then reversing those decisions just a day or two later... well, that causes a little stress. Sorry, I've digressed from the topic at hand which is a Disney visit, right? But, I did so for a little perspective - and to explain why, just about 10 days before our trip, we added another day to the visit with the drive now planned for Tuesday before Thanksgiving and not leaving until late Sunday night.

As expected, we now filled every moment that wasn't work (which was not nearly enough moments, for sure) with re-planning, hatching new ideas, and revising the revisions to our plans. The biggest 'concern' was the crowds. We knew it wouldn't be nearly as empty as the summer, but we had been impressed with Disney's COVID precautions at that time so we weren't too worried. So we planned accordingly and tried to figure out ways to avoid the most crowded times and places as best we could.

Tuesday, November 24th finally arrived. I failed to mention earlier that I am still doing all my virtual teaching from my school because there is no high speed internet where we live and having three of us on Google Meet at the same time just doesn't happen successfully. So, I was at my school, but left as quick as I could (my last class of the day got a little extra time to work on their own) and we managed to get ourselves on the road at about 2:30pm which meant a potential arrival in the Orlando area around 6am on Wednesday.

IMG_0157.JPG
(notice eyes are still on the road)

See you there!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Yes, when the Emporium doesn't have it, my fingers are crossed that World of Disney will! I actually had the best luck in Island Traders at AK this year! Anyway, glad you got in a pop at CityWorks again, it seems to be your family's new favorite!!

Uuuuuuuuummmmmmmmm Macroon Tree??? Sounds delish!! :geek: :geek: :geek:

Also, Happy New Year to you and your family. I'm hoping things get easier in school for you soon!

Thanks! And Happy New Year to you as well. Pictures of the macron tree coming your way soon!

Going to be an interesting few weeks at school. BOE meeting on Monday to determine if we are returning to hybrid plan on Thursday. Our semester ends at the end of January, so we expect them to delay that return of students to the buildings until then, but so far the BOE has managed to do quite the opposite of what anybody expects each and every time they have made a decision!! Always an adventure, for sure.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
I know, I know... why is it taking me so long to get the whole last day posted? Well, I'm just trying to prolong the enjoyment of making. a trip report! But, we are now at just a little before 4pm on Sunday and catching the bus back to Magic Kingdom for our final evening. When we got back to the MK bus loop it was about 4:30pm and we split up so that I could take our bag of pool clothes, bags from Disney Springs, and even some lunch leftovers to the car (which you might recall is stationed at the Contemporary) while the girls head into the park to get to Gaston's by 5pm for the macron tree!

I'm afraid that I don't have any pictures from my walk to the car, but we do have a bunch of pictures from @MeffysMom since they happened upon a cavalcade of Princesses on their way to Gaston's! First up was Merida upon her horse.
IMG_0461.JPG

Little known fact... I had a friend in college (yes, about 30 years ago) who was in the College Program and one of her jobs the first summer was following horses on poop patrol (she actually ended up hired by WDW after college and working as a sound person for live performances for a few years, but that's not really the point now, is it).

Next up, were Tiana and Belle.
IMG_0465.JPG

And, finally, the big float with Ariel and Rapunzel...
IMG_0473.JPG

...Elena, Aurora, and Snow White...
IMG_0477.JPG

...and Cinderella and Fairy Godmother.
IMG_0481.JPG

And, good to see that they were all prepared for the chilly winter weather (it was in the low 70s). Once the cavalcade had passed it was getting pretty close to 5pm so they made a brisk walk back to Gaston's and scored their treat! And, managed to get a nice picture of it with the Beast's castle in the background!
IMG_0485.JPG

And, from what I've been told, it was delicious! And, gone before I met back up with them right about 5pm. And, now... I will continue to prolong the enjoyment of Trip Reporting. See you soon.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
I know, I know! It's been a week. When I said I was stretching things out, this wasn't quite the plan. But, it's been a bit of a crazy week and getting this wrapped up just fell back a little bit on the priority list. (for those who might have been wondering, our Board of Ed decided on Monday night that we would be the only district in the State to return to in-person schooling and we would do it with 2 days of prep time - if we head into that discussion again, no problem... but right here that's all I'll go into).

Where were we? Oh, yes - 5pm on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, in Magic Kingdom, and hoping to enjoy a few last attractions before hitting the long road home. I met up with the girls in Fantasyland and we headed right to Peter Pan. We knew that there would be some lines to wait in, so we didn't really have a problem with that. And Pan's line was listed at 30 minutes, which we knew would likely be somewhat shorter given how things have gone this whole trip. And, true to form, we only waited about 20 minutes before flying over London and off to Neverland. It's such a simple little carnival-type ride, but still brings quite a bit of joy to us!

Next we headed back toward Little Mermaid, but not with the plan to ride that one as we knew that was the shorter approach to the end of the Seven Dwarfs line. With social distancing, it was all the way through the queue and then around the entire 'mountain' all the way to across the path from the entrance to Be Our Guest. Now, in normal times, we've been at MK when the listed wait was 180 minutes for this attraction, but the line was only a little ways outside of the queue area and around some of the front side of the mountain. So, you might ask, how dreadfully long was the wait time going to be? Well, it was listed at 75 minutes, but we only waited just over an hour. And, for the most part, people were doing a pretty good job of keeping masks up and staying distant that whole time. There was a crew of teens just a little ways behind us in line who had trouble with the whole 'nose covered' part of mask wearing. This thing is MOST frustrating for our daughter as it gives her age bracket a bad name and (as always) it just takes a few 'boogers in the punchbowl' to mess things up.

7b64aef2-00e8-4e17-93b4-7d688df01028.jpg

I am in there, just hidden by arms! Seven Dwarfs is NOT one of the coasters that is tough on my 'delicate constitution.' Next up, we headed to It's a Small World. Always a necessity! The queue for this one was a bit rough - it weaved outside the building and through a series of switchbacks off to the left of the main entrance as you look at it, then around the planters in front of the Tangled bathrooms. Sadly, this was where the distance markers ended and there were some families who didn't seem to understand how to queue up when there weren't markings or CMs - and being in the lesser lighting of that area didn't help any. Uh-oh, you guessed it, small rant coming up!

We had moved up about 5 families from the end of the queue when a family decided to pull up just behind us, but in front of others. It was a family with one member in a scooter (although we had seen them a couple hours earlier with nobody in the scooter). They parked the scooter and the other 6 or so family members gathered around. Most then went off to the bathrooms and the one in the scooter said she would just wait for them in line (which is not cool in my book, but not the main issue here). As we and the queue in front of us moved forward, she and one child didn't move at all. The people behind has already complained that she was cutting in line to which she said she wasn't in line and was just parking there even though we had overheard her saying that she was waiting in line. Of course, meanwhile other parties saw the big space between the end of the queue and this goings-on and joined into the queue - unbeknownst to them, now in front of 5 or so families who were stuck behind this scooter that was/wasn't in line and complaining about it. Eventually, those stuck behind the scooter did get past and things got somewhat back to normal, but then when the rest of the clan got back from the restrooms, they just pulled into line and cut off more families who had already been waiting. Sorry to derail my own report for that, but I can't tell you how agitated I get by people who think the whole world revolves around them. Okay, no more about it... back to the fun!

Small World was one of the only instances during this whole trip where the wait was beyond the listed wait time - they were showing 20 minutes and we waited about 30 minutes. It wasn't really a problem, but of course coming on the heels of being annoyed by the family of the previous paragraph, it made the ride a little less enjoyable for me this time. And there was one other issue which we would be solving right after It's A Small World: it was already past 7pm and we were hungry! Mobile ordering time it was and then over to Cosmic Ray's to grab some dinner. To be honest, I have no recollection at all of what we ate there, but it did the job and sitting and listening (socially distant from others) to Sonny Eclipse always helps the mood.

After we ate, we wanted to walk in front of the castle to get some pictures. As you might know, there are no shows or fireworks going on right now, but they do have projections on the castle and are changing them every once in a while. So, we got some pictures on our own first.
IMG_0493.JPG

And then with a Photopass photographer.

9ad2d2c0-6e48-4e40-aaed-6100fa27766c.JPG
9bcbdb42-093d-4359-8e56-a6430f7b818a.JPG

After those pictures (one more coming later) we headed over to Big Thunder which was showing just a 10 minute wait and is one of our favorites to do later in the day when it has gotten dark. And the wait was even less than that as we didn't even have to slow down heading through the entire queue, in fact, both times through the line! Yup, rode it twice in rapid succession. And we were still done with those rides a little before the 9pm closing time. Rather than rush to another attraction, we just took our time heading out of the park and got ourselves to the car at Contemporary right about at 9pm and hit the long road home.

The most daring part of this whole adventure was the whole 'not being in school' thing (remember our schools were still fully virtual at this time) and as we drove through North Carolina, Virginia, and then Maryland our daughter did go to her virtual classes via her computer connected to her phone's hotspot in the car. My wife and I had both taken personal days, but we were online quite regularly through the day to check in with students who were having issues and give as much help as we could via email (even though technically we could have just bailed out as we were officially taking the day off). Traffic treated us pretty well on this return drive and we found ourselves back in our house getting all the love from our cats at about 1:30pm. 16.5 hours is pretty much the standard drive time and that's what we ended up with.

But, before the report officially ends, I do still have one more picture from in front of the castle with the Photopass photographer. And, timing, as they say, is everything!

11e651ec-60ad-4f83-8d1b-52194a3b3436.JPG

tommcp516

I know, I know! It's been a week. When I said I was stretching things out, this wasn't quite the plan. But, it's been a bit of a crazy week and getting this wrapped up just fell back a little bit on the priority list. (for those who might have been wondering, our Board of Ed decided on Monday night that we would be the only district in the State to return to in-person schooling and we would do it with 2 days of prep time - if we head into that discussion again, no problem... but right here that's all I'll go into).

Where were we? Oh, yes - 5pm on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, in Magic Kingdom, and hoping to enjoy a few last attractions before hitting the long road home. I met up with the girls in Fantasyland and we headed right to Peter Pan. We knew that there would be some lines to wait in, so we didn't really have a problem with that. And Pan's line was listed at 30 minutes, which we knew would likely be somewhat shorter given how things have gone this whole trip. And, true to form, we only waited about 20 minutes before flying over London and off to Neverland. It's such a simple little carnival-type ride, but still brings quite a bit of joy to us!

Next we headed back toward Little Mermaid, but not with the plan to ride that one as we knew that was the shorter approach to the end of the Seven Dwarfs line. With social distancing, it was all the way through the queue and then around the entire 'mountain' all the way to across the path from the entrance to Be Our Guest. Now, in normal times, we've been at MK when the listed wait was 180 minutes for this attraction, but the line was only a little ways outside of the queue area and around some of the front side of the mountain. So, you might ask, how dreadfully long was the wait time going to be? Well, it was listed at 75 minutes, but we only waited just over an hour. And, for the most part, people were doing a pretty good job of keeping masks up and staying distant that whole time. There was a crew of teens just a little ways behind us in line who had trouble with the whole 'nose covered' part of mask wearing. This thing is MOST frustrating for our daughter as it gives her age bracket a bad name and (as always) it just takes a few 'boogers in the punchbowl' to mess things up.

View attachment 523142

I am in there, just hidden by arms! Seven Dwarfs is NOT one of the coasters that is tough on my 'delicate constitution.' Next up, we headed to It's a Small World. Always a necessity! The queue for this one was a bit rough - it weaved outside the building and through a series of switchbacks off to the left of the main entrance as you look at it, then around the planters in front of the Tangled bathrooms. Sadly, this was where the distance markers ended and there were some families who didn't seem to understand how to queue up when there weren't markings or CMs - and being in the lesser lighting of that area didn't help any. Uh-oh, you guessed it, small rant coming up!

We had moved up about 5 families from the end of the queue when a family decided to pull up just behind us, but in front of others. It was a family with one member in a scooter (although we had seen them a couple hours earlier with nobody in the scooter). They parked the scooter and the other 6 or so family members gathered around. Most then went off to the bathrooms and the one in the scooter said she would just wait for them in line (which is not cool in my book, but not the main issue here). As we and the queue in front of us moved forward, she and one child didn't move at all. The people behind has already complained that she was cutting in line to which she said she wasn't in line and was just parking there even though we had overheard her saying that she was waiting in line. Of course, meanwhile other parties saw the big space between the end of the queue and this goings-on and joined into the queue - unbeknownst to them, now in front of 5 or so families who were stuck behind this scooter that was/wasn't in line and complaining about it. Eventually, those stuck behind the scooter did get past and things got somewhat back to normal, but then when the rest of the clan got back from the restrooms, they just pulled into line and cut off more families who had already been waiting. Sorry to derail my own report for that, but I can't tell you how agitated I get by people who think the whole world revolves around them. Okay, no more about it... back to the fun!

Small World was one of the only instances during this whole trip where the wait was beyond the listed wait time - they were showing 20 minutes and we waited about 30 minutes. It wasn't really a problem, but of course coming on the heels of being annoyed by the family of the previous paragraph, it made the ride a little less enjoyable for me this time. And there was one other issue which we would be solving right after It's A Small World: it was already past 7pm and we were hungry! Mobile ordering time it was and then over to Cosmic Ray's to grab some dinner. To be honest, I have no recollection at all of what we ate there, but it did the job and sitting and listening (socially distant from others) to Sonny Eclipse always helps the mood.

After we ate, we wanted to walk in front of the castle to get some pictures. As you might know, there are no shows or fireworks going on right now, but they do have projections on the castle and are changing them every once in a while. So, we got some pictures on our own first.
View attachment 523141

View attachment 523145View attachment 523144

After those pictures (one more coming later) we headed over to Big Thunder which was showing just a 10 minute wait and is one of our favorites to do later in the day when it has gotten dark. And the wait was even less than that as we didn't even have to slow down heading through the entire queue, in fact, both times through the line! Yup, rode it twice in rapid succession. And we were still done with those rides a little before the 9pm closing time. Rather than rush to another attraction, we just took our time heading out of the park and got ourselves to the car at Contemporary right about at 9pm and hit the long road home.

The most daring part of this whole adventure was the whole 'not being in school' thing (remember our schools were still fully virtual at this time) and as we drove through North Carolina, Virginia, and then Maryland our daughter did go to her virtual classes via her computer connected to her phone's hotspot in the car. My wife and I had both taken personal days, but we were online quite regularly through the day to check in with students who were having issues and give as much help as we could via email (even though technically we could have just bailed out as we were officially taking the day off). Traffic treated us pretty well on this return drive and we found ourselves back in our house getting all the love from our cats at about 1:30pm. 16.5 hours is pretty much the standard drive time and that's what we ended up with.

But, before the report officially ends, I do still have one more picture from in front of the castle with the Photopass photographer. And, timing, as they say, is everything!

View attachment 523143
Great report so far, and nice photos!

Plus, I just bought that same shirt you're wearing on Shop Disney, so I'm glad to see it lives up to the pics online!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Great report so far, and nice photos!

Plus, I just bought that same shirt you're wearing on Shop Disney, so I'm glad to see it lives up to the pics online!

Love that shirt. It's a little bit heavier than most of my Hawaiian shirts, but I actually like that about it.

RememberWhen

Also love the shirt! I was so close to buying matching shirts for the family for our July 2020 cruise. I guess luckily I didn’t since the kids’ wouldn’t fit anymore by the time we finally get to go. But so glad to see it out and about! Also love your wife’s dress. Well dressed family there.

Songbird76

View attachment 523142

View attachment 523141

View attachment 523145View attachment 523144

View attachment 523143
That would drive me nuts, too....the people basically cutting the whole line. That happened to us a LOT in DLP. But with the lady on the scooter, did she have a DAS pass and maybe misunderstand how it works? In general, with the DAS pass, you get a time window in which you can return and not have to wait in the line, BUT, you use the fastpass line. My understanding is that there are no FPs right now, so the lines are used for standby. I don't know where a person with a DAS pass would go, but perhaps she thought that it allows them to skip the whole line?

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
That would drive me nuts, too....the people basically cutting the whole line. That happened to us a LOT in DLP. But with the lady on the scooter, did she have a DAS pass and maybe misunderstand how it works? In general, with the DAS pass, you get a time window in which you can return and not have to wait in the line, BUT, you use the fastpass line. My understanding is that there are no FPs right now, so the lines are used for standby. I don't know where a person with a DAS pass would go, but perhaps she thought that it allows them to skip the whole line?

They apparently did not have DAS pass as we were just a bit in front of them in another line earlier (before one was in a scooter and was walking and moving very well). They really only cut in front of about 5 families, but it was the gall of the way it happened that was so annoying. Parking the scooter in the midst of the line and then sitting there waiting for bathroom visits while the line was stuck behind the scooter...

They are not using the FP line for anything right now (at least from what we saw) - since most FP lines are right next to the main line, they don't want parties passing each other constantly between the two lines and those lines are pretty much entirely empty at all times. (I know that Club 33 is using the FP lines, but that's about it I think).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom