Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

EPCOT-O.G.

I thought insiders knew what Disney was going to do, not guess at their options.
Your comment in response also presumes a level of forethought that we haven’t seen on display from Disney, so, in a sense all they have are options that may or may never be realized. It is corporate malfeasance for them to not take advantage of the Disney+ properties like The Mandalorian. They have 10+ TV shows (and other projects, incl movies and miniseries) in development, none of which have anything to do with the sequel trilogy or Rian Johnson’s trilogy. It’s clear the future of Star Wars has moved on from the recent theatrical releases. Why can’t the $2 billion investment be “plussed” to adapt to what people like?

britain

I still can't believe they built a 14 acre land based on one of the most successful film franchises ever, and decided not to prominently feature the characters or identifiable locations that made it so successful in the first place. It's like having the rights to build OZ, and Disney builds the rescue shelter where Dorothy picked up Toto and the meet and greet is a Wheeler and the Talking Gump Sofa - and even those are more interesting than what Galaxies Edge ended up with.

Awful analogy. For one thing, they DID recreate the number one most popular location of the Star Wars films: The Millennium freakin Falcon.

Secondly, if Return to Oz had become the top grossing film of all time, then Wheelers and Gumps would not be the punchlines you made them out to be. Plenty of kids think it’s cool getting threatened by Kylo Ren.

Thirdly, even though GE is currently set in a specific time period, it’s an OLD location. One that can easily adapt to new stories and new characters that you never know, might be GASP! as popular as OT characters <<coughGrogu&Mandocough>> You don’t want to commit to Wampas and Ewoks for the rest of eternity.

The fact that Ep 8 & 9 fumbled the ball (and were still profitable unlike Return to Oz) doesn’t mean WDI made the wrong choices with Galaxy’s Edge.

Are there weaknesses that need fixing? Sure, we need more Williams music, more atmospheric characters walking about / fighting, more MF missions. Pretty easily done because the land was so well built in the first place.

It’s not like DCA 1.0 we’re talking about here.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Awful analogy. For one thing, they DID recreate the number one most popular location of the Star Wars films: The Millennium freakin Falcon.

Secondly, if Return to Oz had become the top grossing film of all time, then Wheelers and Gumps would not be the punchlines you made them out to be. Plenty of kids think it’s cool getting threatened by Kylo Ren.

Thirdly, even though GE is currently set in a specific time period, it’s an OLD location. One that can easily adapt to new stories and new characters that you never know, might be GASP! as popular as OT characters <<coughGrogu&Mandocough>> You don’t want to commit to Wampas and Ewoks for the rest of eternity.

The fact that Ep 8 & 9 fumbled the ball (and were still profitable unlike Return to Oz) doesn’t mean WDI made the wrong choices with Galaxy’s Edge.

Are there weaknesses that need fixing? Sure, we need more Williams music, more atmospheric characters walking about / fighting, more MF missions. Pretty easily done because the land was so well built in the first place.

WDI didn’t make the wrong choices, the Bob’s did. And their wrong choices aren’t going to be fixed as easily as adding a BGM loop and some walk-around characters. That will improve atmosphere, but they still under built it. As with NFL, 2 attractions is pathetically underwhelming for the amount of money spent.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
WDI didn’t make the wrong choices, the Bob’s did. And their wrong choices aren’t going to be fixed as easily as adding a BGM loop and some walk-around characters. That will improve atmosphere, but they still under built it. As with NFL, 2 attractions is pathetically underwhelming for the amount of money spent.
Abso flippin lootley

It’s no secret the lands are not the runaway successes envisaged.

Robbiem

I’ve not visited but from what I’ve seen it definitely looks like it was under built. I think it would be relatively easy to swap some elements out to make the land more timeless and allow for other characters to appear but it really needs more attractions, especially for all ages. The land really looks like it was built to appeal to adults who grew up on the movies rather than grab the next generations imagination. I know little me would have been really upset if he couldn’t ride anything in star wars land as a four year old fan. I’m sure you could have a more varied set of attractions

britain

I’ll just make the observation that the last two comments were in favor of:

1) More attractions, which they can do in time.

2) The new/next generation, as opposed to old Star Wars, which is what the land was built to accommodate. Porgs and Fathiers are pretty close to Wheelers and Gumps, except they came from a hit (admittedly divisive) movie.

Robbiem

An idea for moving forward would be to have some sort of multiple attraction show set up for different ages - like the old painted desert or the early Indiana Jones plans. Build an area like the Tatooine canyons with multiple experiences for groups, a thrill Mandalorian style flying coaster over the area, a mid level speeder style ride - maybe split into a more thrilling bike ride and a lower level car style speeder and a slow moving bantha ride. Each ride could view the show elements (Jawas, tuskens, bounty hunters etc) from different perspectives

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I’ve not visited but from what I’ve seen it definitely looks like it was under built. I think it would be relatively easy to swap some elements out to make the land more timeless and allow for other characters to appear but it really needs more attractions, especially for all ages. The land really looks like it was built to appeal to adults who grew up on the movies rather than grab the next generations imagination. I know little me would have been really upset if he couldn’t ride anything in star wars land as a four year old fan. I’m sure you could have a more varied set of attractions

Visually, GE is fantastic. It’s the 2 attractions (one which still requires a boarding group to ride and continues to have problems) vs the 14 shops and eateries that irritates me.

I still cannot figure out who GE was built for. It screams “corporate mandate from Bob to build something Disney Star Wars” to me and many others. SR is ok, but it’s largely an expensive video game after the queue.

Bender123

The Falcon is a vehicle in location...This would be like saying a Ford Focus in a parking lot is a "location". Its in a location, but it isnt "THE" location. Its a great addition to a location, but its not really what you are going for as a themed land...nobody wants to go to Millennium Falcon Land. They want to go to Star Wars Land.

The issue with the the new trilogy is well documented...there was no plan, there was infighting and there was a glut of political ideals that just had to be shoehorned in and issues cut that would offend the CCP. Kylo and Rey could have been popular, but failed to the point that Star Wars toys are almost non-existent beyond glow sticks. Kids may like them, but they arent showing it on their Xmas lists.

DanielBB8

I'm surprised the article didn't suggest the easier fix. Batuu just becomes Tatooine and the Cantina is Mos Eisley with Millennium Falcon at a nearby landing spot. Swap out the Hondo character for either Chewbacca or Han Solo. People already like the Chewy mode and try to initiate it. No one like Hondo's constant berating. Instead of smuggling coaxium from the failed Solo movie, smuggle some information from an unknown source. Add in some landmarks from the Original Trilogy throughout the land like the Sandcrawler with Jawas. Add some walkabout characters like the Tusken Raiders and Greedo in the Cantina. The Cantina is also flawed. Obviously they need overflow space so the long lines are alievated.

_caleb

I really don't care about character meet and greets (OT, ST, or otherwise). I'm hoping they add vignettes to all the little stages, catwalks, rooftops, and platforms that are strewn about SW:GE. Driods, creatures, moving machinery, Stormtroopers, recon tower sentries, etc. would make the place come alive. These could periodically become mini "shows" for guests to watch. I'm pretty sure this is what was originally intended for SW:GE.

Not sure the area needs actual background music. I'd be fine with more ambient sounds plus muffled music that seem to be coming from inside the various buildings. Layer that with the sound coming from activity vignettes, and it would really create the immersion they say they were after.

EPCOT-O.G.

I'm surprised the article didn't suggest the easier fix. Batuu just becomes Tatooine and the Cantina is Mos Eisley with Millennium Falcon at a nearby landing spot. Swap out the Hondo character for either Chewbacca or Han Solo. People already like the Chewy mode and try to initiate it. No one like Hondo's constant berating. Instead of smuggling coaxium from the failed Solo movie, smuggle some information from an unknown source. Add in some landmarks from the Original Trilogy throughout the land like the Sandcrawler with Jawas. Add some walkabout characters like the Tusken Raiders and Greedo in the Cantina. The Cantina is also flawed. Obviously they need overflow space so the long lines are alievated.
I wonder how much MFSR can be changed. The rails aspect limits the degree to which the ride can be controlled. But the more “freedom” they give to the pilot, the less control they have over ride duration and graphics (rendering completely unique environments would be a nightmare processing wise). I also feel like it’s movement capabilities feel like a downgraded version of Star Tours.

MatheusPG

Abso flippin lootley

It’s no secret the lands are not the runaway successes envisaged.
Is that going to affect WDSP? Some insiders said that Disney was considering making that Rise of the Resistance based on the OT and that they would bring that new story to the US...

britain

Tattooine is just Batuu with the rock towers and trees removed. Do you really think it would be more of a draw looking less spectacular but with a “Welcome to Tattooine” sign out front?

FigmentFan82

Tattooine is just Batuu with the rock towers and trees removed. Do you really think it would be more of a draw looking less spectacular but with a “Welcome to Tattooine” sign out front?
Batuu isn't the problem, it's the rigidity of the timeline that is. Batuu should act as a waypoint for all Star Wars canon in the same way that any "land" can hold multiple properties within it. People want to visit Galaxies Edge because it's Star Wars come to life that you get to interact with, not because of a niche timeline with two of the films. I'm sure people would not mind at all vising "The Vader Expereince" and then walking down the path to a Mando meet and greet. Star Wars is a space fantasy, it's ok for it to be all the Star Wars things (within some level of reason I'd assume)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom