Trip Report Shrouded In A Daft Disguise *COMPLETED*

Two weeks ago today, I returned home from the most surreal Disney vacation I have ever experienced.

During my last visit in February, I couldn’t have imagined having to wear a face mask and have my temperature taken before being allowed into a park. “Social distancing” wasn’t part of my vocabulary. Hand sanitizer was something I carried in a little bottle in my purse, not something in giant containers at the entrance/exit of every attraction.

No park hopping? No Fastpasses? No FIREWORKS :jawdrop: ?!! Not even on my radar screen.

Like a bolt out of the blue, the pandemic struck and life was dramatically altered. For everyone. And there is no Magic Mirror to tell us when it will be over. For me the pandemic has been a reminder to take nothing for granted ~ and that there can still be joy in the darkest days.

My name is Tuvalu and I have been a WDW annual passholder for nearly 25 years. I was raised on Disney and so were my children. The parks have always been my “escape” from real life. Could they still be an “escape” in the midst of a pandemic? After months of quarantine, I was ready to find out.

My daughter Em was my travel buddy. My husband Woody had reservations, but not for our safety. He was concerned we’d struggle with the restrictions and disappointment with all the changes. He wanted us to come back happy and wasn’t sure we would. Truthfully, I wasn’t sure we would either. After much research and due diligence, Em and I felt prepared to embark on a vacation with few expectations.

6603EDC0-8856-4CF0-9F82-3A98E965AA50.jpeg

Full disclosure ~ I‘ve wrestled with writing a report of our trip. The pandemic and subsequent events have caused much division on this Disney fan forum. I’ve always considered the trip reports section to be a “safe space” and hope it stays that way. My goal is to provide entertainment to the reader, nothing more.

With that in mind.....

DE01E0D7-DEFD-4267-AEA4-9339E1E1B4A7.jpeg

DisneyGigi

Hope you guys feel better soon. Love, pixie dust, and prayers. ❤️

I don’t watch much tv, that isn’t Avengers or Disney these days- but Schitt’s Creek is honestly one of the best shows- period since Friends. If you haven’t watched it, do!

If you were impatient like me, and couldn’t stay up to watch it, I bought the seasons on Vudu, so I didn’t have to stay up. (Yes, I am old) 😂😑🤓

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sick Get Well Soon GIF by Hallmark Gold Crown
Hope your family is feeling better soon!
Get well soon @Tuvalu and family!
We’re working on it! Thanks for your concern. ❤️
Hope you guys feel better soon. Love, pixie dust, and prayers. ❤️

I don’t watch much tv, that isn’t Avengers or Disney these days- but Schitt’s Creek is honestly one of the best shows- period since Friends. If you haven’t watched it, do!

If you were impatient like me, and couldn’t stay up to watch it, I bought the seasons on Vudu, so I didn’t have to stay up. (Yes, I am old) 😂😑🤓
We have all six seasons on our DVR, ready for a second (or third) viewing at a moment’s notice. 😁
Have the BEST time on your trip with Stinker! I get mine with the Tinys in four weeks. :inlove:

amjt660

Premium Member
Schitt's Creek (styled Schitt$ Creek) is a Canadian television sitcom created by Dan Levy and his father Eugene Levy that aired on CBC Television from January 13, 2015, to April 7, 2020. ... The series has won various accolades, including two ACTRA Awards and 18 Canadian Screen Awards.

1609784327648.png

Max

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks again for all the well wishes. We’re still on the mend, but I’m gonna try to get this trip report to the finish line!

Friday, con’t

When I left off, Woody had just left me with my playmate Kel at DHS. So where do you think two giggling girlies went?

F5A44DFF-F88E-437B-9CCC-B3FAEC1DFCFF.jpeg

We wanted to play with Andy’s toys. The green army men were up first.

6CDAF468-70AA-49CE-BBD0-DC6DED6EF8F1.jpeg

The wait for Slinky Dog Dash had dropped significantly. It was only 20 minutes! Kel was especially excited since she had never ridden this fun coaster.

3B41CDD8-BA65-42AF-A63C-542A2FB57662.jpeg

3667E590-DD9D-42AE-AF29-5AF67A20A98C.jpeg

And she loved it! And I remembered where the camera was! 😆

Saucers was a walk on....otherwise we wouldn’t have waited....the heat was BRUTAL.

311F8F92-5CC7-4579-9690-8A9A87EB475D.jpeg

I held onto my purse (note the shoulder strap). No flying missile this time!

0C74E1A2-BC87-4485-81C3-94E6ADC4F76F.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We headed to Toy Story Mania where Kel immediately abandoned me and made a new friend.

A2DC364C-3E0D-423C-97FA-3B340B7B2474.jpeg

She’d noticed his backpack (it was some Star Wars thingie) and quickly walked to queue to catch up with him....social distancing be damned! :joyfull:

Kel wanted to know where in the park she could buy one. Ironically he had gotten it in CA. (You may remember that Kel frequently travels to California to visit family.) Bummed out, she left her new pal and returned to me.

I made her pose with Mr. Potato Head. (Serves her right for leaving me!)

FEC0C45D-1186-4801-92CA-79E09FB86AE2.jpeg

Poor naive Kel didn’t know about my competitive spirit. (Em wasn’t there to warn her!)

FFA1A225-7276-442D-A5CD-EFD9C18FA4FB.jpeg

The result?

BFDE1A63-FD73-436E-B525-DC16BBBF36CE.jpeg

69AC9FE6-5B5C-4900-B87E-71287421511F.jpeg

Kel’s nonchalant comment: “You’re pretty good at this.”

Yes I am, my friend. Yes I am. :hilarious:

amjt660

Premium Member
Thanks again for all the well wishes. We’re still on the mend, but I’m gonna try to get this trip report to the finish line!
Glad you are all doing better
and way to stick to the TR report to the end
@wdisney9000 - are you paying attention??

Poor naive Kel didn’t know about my competitive spirit. (Em wasn’t there to warn her!)
1609944770501.png

Max

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Since I feel the need to make sure Kel experiences things she hasn’t, we stopped for an Insta pose at the Popsicle wall.

83826A38-8CCB-45AB-8FC4-ACDF20964B7A.jpeg

(I didn’t think the checkerboard wall was necessary. 😉)

We needed hydration and a mask break. We got a couple of bottled beverages at a stand on Sunset Blvd. and sat at a shaded picnic table for a nice respite from the heat. We chick-chatted for awhile.

At 3:30 pm I received notification that our Boarding Group 33 had been called! (To put the delay in perspective, groups 1-40 are typically called by noon on a fully operational day.) I texted playmate #2 and told her to hurry ~ she could take Woody’s place on Rise of the Resistance.

Kel and I went to wait for her near the park entrance. We were entertained by another character cavalcade.

Chip and Dale for @Tony the Tigger.
94958476-61D9-4D8E-83FA-6F2D2C4D6E2A.jpeg

Minnie for @MinnieM123.
FB3D7E55-6967-4647-BC67-610F734F375A.jpeg

Daisy for @slipperalwaysfits.
3D328094-AC20-43C7-A24A-CAA92CA055CD.jpeg

And the Big Cheese for everyone else.
427E0FEA-6B31-4C1B-BEA9-10BB15A42AEA.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
For those of you who haven’t caught the not-so-subtle hints of the identity of playmate #2 (I refuse to use the “deuce” emoji 😉).....

....it’s @Darstarr!

57AE0F5B-2969-45F4-88E2-05B3AA1553E2.jpeg

See the bulge in her blue string backpack? That’s fresh NY bagels and cream cheese.....FOR ME! Do I have the best friends or what?!!!

If the pic looks familiar it’s because Dar posted it in her trip report a week after our meeting. It’s just taken me 4 months to catch up! :facepalm:

In the excitement of meeting another Magician I didn’t note how long our wait was for RotR. It didn’t matter. Time flies when hens are clucking. 🐔

1B3AB4E0-850B-43BF-8EC8-D982C43574A8.jpeg

I still have that moment of WOW when I enter the Stormtrooper hangar. It may be my favorite part of the attraction and I wish I could linger there longer. Therefore photos are always a must!

671CD31B-ECD7-4511-AEA9-B3E359BE41AF.jpeg

(See what I mean? Kel does. WOW!!)

Dar’s selfie with her phone.

28106C20-2D35-491A-9702-73B53353DE8D.jpeg

And Tu’s with hers.

0C237EA7-11DA-436C-AD23-49AC0E6D56F5.jpeg

We had a blast!

cgersic

Waahhhooo!! It's nice to see you all together again in another trip report! Getting to relive it too. And that is waaaay cool on the NY bagels! Makes my mouth water just thinking about it. :hungry:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
The friends decided to do one more attraction together before going our separate ways.

@Darstarr hadn’t seen Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway. By now you know how I love introducing my pals to new (for them) Disney experiences. And though she’d just ridden it a few hours earlier, Kel was game.

7F3AE1C0-1E86-43AB-B034-1A550FCE4D0A.jpeg

The posted wait time was way off. It took us only 15 minutes to reach the entrance doors. Ten minutes later I snapped this lovely selfie....which is hilarious to watch in LIVE format.

(It’s probably a good thing this site cannot support LIVE photos. :joyfull: )

DB6B271E-E957-4BDA-B1C3-C6F390FFBA89.jpeg

I’m happy we had a front row view. I am not looking forward to being stuck behind a plexiglass divider next time.

I made sure to take an “on purpose” reflection pic.

CC867E06-7700-48CF-BEBC-4DD1BB23A1AD.jpeg

Dar had to meet up with her kids and Woody was expecting me, so it was time for goodbyes. Kel wanted one last picture. I expected her to leave with us, but she went to fly solo on Star Tours and Tower of Tower (and likely made a few new friends!)

BA2AB2EE-FB3E-4E5A-95E1-CABE96CE420F.jpeg

It was fun to have a few extra minutes with @Darstarr as she walked me to my bus stop before plopping herself on a bench near the Skyliner. I had a private ride (#4 for the trip) back to the Poly.

Woody had finished his meetings and we discussed dinner. It was sprinkling and the sky was black, so weather would be a factor in our choice. Eating at WDW is hard enough nowadays without having to contend with downpours....especially at Disney Springs (@Darstarr 😉), so we eliminated that option. We’d had our fill of the monorail resort restaurants. No park hopping meant no in-park dining, but all the parks would be closed at 7 anyway.

Dare we ~ gasp! ~ leave the bubble?

I suggested take-out from the nearest Chick-Fil-A. We could place an order on the app. Quick and easy.

Or so I thought. GPS took us a weird way and our journey was much further than it was supposed to be. We tried to self correct on the way back but Woody missed a turn, adding even more time to our excursion. The good news was that those black clouds never produced any rain....at least where we were.

We dined al fresco and I had a delish poppyseed bagel with my chicken strips.

28A319E2-88CC-4DC8-AC9E-D3776C3513C0.jpeg

The resort music loop wasn’t playing (odd) but somewhere in the distance the Electrical Water Pageant music kept playing.....which was very odd, considering 1) it wasn’t dark yet and 2) EWP performances wouldn’t resume for four more months!

Coming up: Our last day 😢

Disney Loving Swede

The friends decided to do one more attraction together before going our separate ways.

@Darstarr hadn’t seen Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway. By now you know how I love introducing my pals to new (for them) Disney experiences. And though she’d just ridden it a few hours earlier, Kel was game.

View attachment 522876

The posted wait time was way off. It took us only 15 minutes to reach the entrance doors. Ten minutes later I snapped this lovely selfie....which is hilarious to watch in LIVE format.

View attachment 522877

I’m happy we had a front row view. I am not looking forward to being stuck behind a plexiglass divider next time.

View attachment 522878

Dar had to meet up with her kids and Woody was expecting me, so it was time for goodbyes. Kel wanted one last picture. I expected her to leave with us, but she went to fly solo on Star Tours and Tower of Tower (and likely made a few new friends!)

View attachment 522879

It was fun to have a few extra minutes with @Darstarr as she walked me to my bus stop before plopping herself on a bench near the Skyliner. I had a private ride (#4 for the trip) back to the Poly.

Woody had finished his meetings and we discussed dinner. It was sprinkling and the sky was black, so weather would be a factor in our choice. Eating at WDW is hard enough nowadays without having to contend with downpours....especially at Disney Springs (@Darstarr 😉), so we eliminated that option. We’d had our fill of the monorail resort restaurants. No park hopping meant no in-park dining, but all the parks would be closed at 7 anyway.

I suggested take-out from the nearest Chick-Fil-A. We could place an order on the app. Quick and easy.

Or so I thought. GPS took us a weird way and our journey was much further than it was supposed to be. We tried to self correct on the way back but Woody missed a turn, adding even more time to our excursion. The good news was that those black clouds never produced any rain....at least where we were.

View attachment 522880

The resort music loop wasn’t playing (odd) but somewhere in the distance the Electrical Water Pageant music kept playing.....which was very odd, considering 1) it wasn’t dark yet and 2) EWP performances wouldn’t resume for four more months!

Coming up: Our last day
That looked like a fun day!

View attachment 522876

View attachment 522877

View attachment 522878

View attachment 522879

View attachment 522880

Coming up: Our last day 😢

Off topic am I tired or is that a Chi Omega wine glass...

DisneyGigi

GPS stinks at Disney World, even in the world. B cut it on to take us from Old Key West to MK and we ended up at a cast member area behind MK. (Where obviously we had to back track) I now make him cut it off as soon as we get inside the gates.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom