Why do you think people still go to WDW?

ExRoadie

I go to WDW to remember the great times that have been had and to gererate new experiences that I'll never forget.

Since 1978, my first trip with my family, I've spent just over a year staying on property including a month long stay at Fort Wilderness hosting family and friends. I schedule a "big" trip every couple of years but I also make last minute "short" trips with friends and family just to be there.

My Baby Brother and his Wife go just for the Parks. They get the cheapest "off-property" room they can find and will even sleep in their van in a Walmart parking lot.

My Baby Sister is a DVC Member and takes advantage of points savings to boost her multiple trips per year. She is at WDW right now and got her "Studio" upgraded to a Villa with no points increase.

Everyone I know that has been to WDW has made numerous return visits because they always get a great "return" for their investment.

_caleb

What have you done?
Stayed home, for one. I can guarantee that no CMs were exposed to coronavirus by me.

In November, I voted for better leaders than the ones who have failed us so horribly. In December, I donated to the Cast Member Pantry and an Orlando-area network of churches that minister to CMs. Since the layoffs, I've complained to Disney and used my (tiny) social media platform to raise awareness about how poorly CMs are treated.

Chi84

Premium Member
Please don't turn this into another COVID thread. The OP didn't ask whether people should be going to WDW now, it's not relevant to the topic, and everyone knows where everyone else stands on this. In any event, continually obsessing on whether or not people should not go to WDW now is not going to convince anyone. Not everyone wants to obsess on the same subject 24/7. We know this because they create threads on different topics.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

Stayed home, for one. I can guarantee that no CMs were exposed to coronavirus by me.

In November, I voted for better leaders than the ones who have failed us so horribly. In December, I donated to the Cast Member Pantry and an Orlando-area network of churches that minister to CMs. Since the layoffs, I've complained to Disney and used my (tiny) social media platform to raise awareness about how poorly CMs are treated.
Working is still more money for the CM...you realize that, right?

The cast members working at Disney now want to be there...they aren’t being forced against their will and want a more dignified means of earning a living than waiting for handouts. I’ve talked to dozens of them.

Get over the holier than thou, I stay home no matter what, attitude. Some of us need to work and live life...with precautions of course. Disney is doing an incredible job.

Besides, if none of us worked, there would be no money to hand out for free.

And we both know you haven’t been at home for 10 months. Quit frontin. 😂

Last edited:

Goofnut1980

What about grocery store employees. They are also out there in the public. Did you do anything for them? They are working around people with covid and they don't have temp checks at the entries of each store. I am just playing devils advocate. You can't say someone wasn't exposed to corona virus by you but I am sure since the pandemic, you have been to at least one store. What's the difference?

_caleb

Please don't turn this into another COVID thread. The OP didn't ask whether people should be going to WDW now, it's not relevant to the topic, and everyone knows where everyone else stands on this. In any event, continually obsessing on whether or not people should not go to WDW now is not going to convince anyone. Not everyone wants to obsess on the same subject 24/7. We know this because they create threads on different topics.
I'm sure you know my response to the question "Why do you think people still go to WDW?" but reading through the thread, nobody has shared an opinion similar to mine.

For his answer, @Goofnut1980 said they went only for the sake of keeping CMs employed. Am I not allowed to discuss that? Should I not post my opinion because you're tired of hearing about it?

_caleb

Working is still more money for the CM...you realize that, right?
From my perspective, a CM's health is pretty important.
The cast members working at Disney now want to be there...they aren’t being forced against their will and want a more dignified means of earning a living than waiting for handouts. I’ve talked to dozens of them.
Some CMs do want to be there. Some feel stuck. In my opinion, Disney did not adequately take care of them.
Get over the holier than thou, I stay home no matter what, attitude. Some of us need to work and live life...with precautions of course. Disney is doing an incredible job.
I'm certainly not better than anyone else. And I need to work, too. I was responding to the guy who said the only reason he went to WDW was for the sake of the CMs. That seemed pretty "holier-than-thou" to me, so I responded to that. For discussion on the "we've got to live life" attitude, please see any of the COVID threads.
And we both know you haven’t been at home for 10 months. Quit frontin. 😂
Of course I haven't been home for 10 months. But I've avoided unnecessary travel and I certainly haven't been to WDW.

_caleb

What about grocery store employees. They are also out there in the public. Did you do anything for them? They are working around people with covid and they don't have temp checks at the entries of each store. I am just playing devils advocate. You can't say someone wasn't exposed to corona virus by you but I am sure since the pandemic, you have been to at least one store. What's the difference?
A grocery store provides an essential service. WDW does not.

I didn't say that I haven't exposed anybody to the virus (I hope I haven't, but I guess I can't be sure), only that I wasn't responsible for exposing any Disney CMs because I haven't gone to WDW.

For more on the differences between going to the grocery store and going on a Disney vacation during a pandemic, I'd be happy to discuss that in any of the COVID threads.

Phonedave

The new comer goes because, number one, they don't even know these chat boards exist. Number two is that it has become a rite of passage, almost a requirement, to bring your kids to WDW. Third is that reputation of Disney. Those that are not as involved in Disney as we are, only know of the reputation of anything Disney, family related.

The bigger question is why do they ever go back. I cannot image how any newbie would ever be able to manage to properly fulfill the required planning that is now required for a simple trip to a theme park. I can imagine that the kids think it is great but the parents live in a world of quiet desperation and confusion about what they should do next. I started out that way when WDW was much, much smaller. I took my family in February 1983, just a few months after EPCOT Ctr. opened. No fastpasses, no ADR, just free flowing lines that had a wait but generally not much more overall time was spent in those lines then people do now that they are led into thinking the Fastpass saves them time. If that is possible it is only those that have been their often and know the lay of the land can really manage to get enough FP's to make a difference. I didn't have that frustration because I had done no research on WDW before I went other then have friends that had been telling me about it, very vaguely. I can see myself never going again if I had to deal with the stuff that is happening now.

My ex wife and I went with out kids in 96 and again 3 or 4 more time before we divorced. I continued to take my kids each year, while she stopped going. About 2 years ago she decided to take the kids. According to my kids they had to convince her to plan. She was under the impression that you could just walk into any restaurant, a wait time of 30 minutes for an attraction was considered long, that park hours ran late into the evening and that parks did not close for hard ticketed events, etc. WDW is a vacation that requires planning.

I think because it is a resort, people do not plan. You would not go to France for a trip and "wing it" but people feel they can do so at WDW.

Chef Mickey

From my perspective, a CM's health is pretty important.

Some CMs do want to be there. Some feel stuck. In my opinion, Disney did not adequately take care of them.

I'm certainly not better than anyone else. And I need to work, too. I was responding to the guy who said the only reason he went to WDW was for the sake of the CMs. That seemed pretty "holier-than-thou" to me, so I responded to that. For discussion on the "we've got to live life" attitude, please see any of the COVID threads.

Of course I haven't been home for 10 months. But I've avoided unnecessary travel and I certainly haven't been to WDW.
Literally every single cast member I asked is “so happy” to be there. Old, young, didn’t matter. I’ve been to WDW 40 days since July So I’ve asked a lot.

CMs are people who can make their own choices. Disney didn’t take care of them? What do you expect, honestly? Free everything until virus is over? Pay them for not working? They did a ton but it can’t continue forever, right? Disney lost billions...they are a business that needs to be profitable.

If CMs want to stay home and wait for handouts, that’s their prerogative. Most people aren't going to want to wait around to be helped...that route will never be adequate anyway.

You didn’t travel to Disney? So what? You’re better than people who went to Disney? More moral? Travel to Disney might be safer than whatever you did locally. You don’t really know.

Chef Mickey

A grocery store provides an essential service. WDW does not.

I didn't say that I haven't exposed anybody to the virus (I hope I haven't, but I guess I can't be sure), only that I wasn't responsible for exposing any Disney CMs because I haven't gone to WDW.

For more on the differences between going to the grocery store and going on a Disney vacation during a pandemic, I'd be happy to discuss that in any of the COVID threads.
The virus doesn’t care about “essential“ or not, so it’s a risk. You also havent purchased only essential items, hypocritical. If we only opened “essential” businesses, don’t let Walmart and Target sell anything except food and essential items. Otherwise, how is that fair to smaller biz that was shutdown?

Plus, you don’t decide what’s essential. Disney is essential For many reasons. Like...livelihood for thousands?!

And again, you haven’t just gone to the grocery store for 10 months. Quit frontin.

MickeyLuv'r

I think because it is a resort, people do not plan. You would not go to France for a trip and "wing it" but people feel they can do so at WDW.
Forgive me, but I actually have traveled to Europe and assorted locations in North America and mostly just winged it. It is a really fun way to travel, and generally VERY easy to do, especially - in of all places - Western Europe. To start, you just need a plane ticket. I suppose you could say I researched cheap flights.

These days, one can mostly rely on credit cards and/or ATM's.

In Europe, an easy way to roam is to have a Eurail Pass. They sell assorted passes, but a popular one is the 10trips/2 months pass: 10 train trips within a 2 month window. On top of that, you can reserve a sleeper car (for an upcharge). In years past you only needed to make overnight reservations about 24 hours out. just wherever you feel like going! A quick glance: single= 65-70 Euros, double = 30-40 per person - varies by train. Rental car is also an option, but Europe has some nasty speed camera traps, expensive gas, and pricey tolls.

Other folks do wing-it travel by bike/backpack/hostels. It is also super easy to wing it and get a hotel or hotel room in just about an European city. Many (most?) include a morning beverage and (some type of) breakfast.

In pretty much every city train station/airport it is really easy to stop into a travel office to buy any kind of assorted activity pass you want to buy. So like in Paris, you can buy a 5 day museum pass that is good for unlimited entry to like the top 50 Paris museums. Or if you want to tour the Loire Valley, you just get a pass good for assorted combos of 3 or more chateaus, sold at the entrance of every chateau.

Being able to access wifi is helpful. Hotel staff are often very helpful if you have any questions about where to go or what to see, but usually the main things to visit are rather obvious. If one's hotel has a concierge, they are awesome! Just off the top of their heads, they often know the best discount deals and all. It is really fun to just arrive some place and wander around. Maybe do a little shopping, maybe visit a park, some cathedrals, landmarks...

You also don't need to make any major plans to eat for the most part either. Cities and smaller towns usually have plenty of options in assorted price ranges, and menus are usually posted out front. If that's too hard, Europe has plenty of fast food places. France alone has nearly 1,500 McDonald's, and a French chain called Quick, among many others.

In the USA, it is like super easy to find roadside hotels at almost every highway ext. Many again, include free breakfast. You often get a lower rate if you can call/search ahead, but an hour will do.

If all else fails, ask a local. Usually people are happy to tell you the name of their favorite diner or ice cream shop, or what 's fun to visit.

Last edited:

MickeyCB

12916949_10206894140765226_8621468347326032248_o.jpg
Great answer!!!

Pardonmyfrench

I just got back on Monday. I went from 12/28 - 1/4. We usually go this time of year plus either in the spring or fall. Yes there is less value --> no fireworks, parades, character greetings but I still love the rides. I also love the restaurants and the snacks. I can go elsewhere for vacation and do but really, I like being a kid again and I dont care about anything else other than what I'm doing at Disney World. It's a welcome distraction. As an adult with adult kids, I do think it's worth going right now. As much as I do miss fireworks, parades, etc that's more of the icing on the cake for why we still go.

Dutch Inn '76

Happy New Year,

Very basic question, reading through some threads it would seem that Disney is just bad yet folks still come. So why do you think it's still an attractive vacation destination?
It's not "just bad;" some people are just miserable. I'll bet they have a hard time finding joy in an infant's smile.

WDW is constantly changing. I've been going since 1976. Yes, there are some things that I wish had not changed. But there are lots of new things that I love as much as the Tiki Room. What's the phrase? "You gotta break an egg to make an omelet." My wife and I were talking about WDW this morning, and we love it more than ever!

chriskbrown

Went last month; had an unique opportunity to do a trip with my daughter who graduated college. It was not the WDW we are use to doing, including what we did in March when we closed the parks down. But it was still Disney World, it was still great accommodations, and incredible attractions. And it was also easier - less planning, less crowds, and for the most part - less angry people. In fact, people were glad to be there, glad to be able to do something.

Pepper's Ghost

Very basic question, reading through some threads it would seem that Disney is just bad yet folks still come.

Are you married? It is possible... even normal to love something or someone so much and hate them simultaneously. 🤣🤪

I can't speak for others, but when I'm critical it's usually of changes made that suck, or I'm critical of lack of proper maintenance keeping things running properly. Because my first visit was in 2000, I'm very fond of WDW circa 2000-2004. The things I'm critical of?
  • Changing Test Track
  • Changing Soarin'
  • Changing Backlot Tours
  • Changing the GMR
  • Changing PotC
  • Nixing Wishes
  • Poor maintenance of the HM, TTA, and countless others.
  • Not fixing the Yeti (this one doesn't even need to be stated) :rolleyes:
  • Adding FP+ and what it does to standby lines
There are so many others like above, but wanted to hit some of the big ones and at least one from each park. Even with that said, I can't explain the escapism sufficiently. It's been a long time for me unfortunately, but WDW transports me away from any and all worries and responsibilities for a week. There is no other vacation I've taken that takes me away from reality in the same way. I literally don't think of work or problems while I'm there.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom