News Disney will be ending complimentary MagicBand distribution to Disney Resort hotel guests and moving to smart devices

surfsupdon

I do not know if I will continue to wear the MagicBand. It is a fun symbol of being at Disney, but I only used it for my room and tickets (FP too). It was nice not digging in your pockets for a card, or for a phone. Maybe I just changed my mind, it did help with convenience!

JKfamily

I am sure that it has been stated here already, but Disney will offer you a free RFID card just like they would in the past. These cards work almost exactly like a magic band and are waterproof. You can put them in a lanyard or a wrist holder or pocket at the waterpark.

No information is stored on the wrist band/magic band/RFID card. These only have a serial number written to them. When you scan the item a computer looks up that stored number in a database and matches it to your information.

Replaceable batteries are a difficult thing to have when you are trying to make an item small. There are only so many standard size batteries on the market and then you have to build a holder for them in the device, which takes up a lot more room than just using a tiny non standard battery that is soldered in. Look at any of the new smart phones and smart watches. Non of them have a user replaceable battery. I just want to point out that you can still use all your old magic bands at the parks. A dead battery does not stop the band from working for entry, charging, fast passes, scanning the band at say test track for the photo. About the only thing the battery was used for was long range communication like on the rides with auto pictures. Oh and the biggest use for the battery was to track you around the park. As a matter of fact the whole idea of the magic band system was to track you around the park. When this system first came out a congressman started asking questions about Disney tracking children. Igor got really really angry, in my opinion because they were caught, and said that they were not using the system for tracking. So the whole battery thing is kind of a non issue. I still use my original magic band (the old rectangular ones) sometimes they still work fine.
I know you can still get the magic bands but it will not be a long term option as I am sure Disney will faze them out.

I know that no information is stored on the Universal Studios band but if you were to do the same principle at a Disney Waterpark then you would have to store the wearers information if your using a dinning plan ect, that's the point I was making

As for the battery, this is why I stated wireless charging.

nicb88

I know you can still get the magic bands but it will not be a long term option as I am sure Disney will faze them out.

I know that no information is stored on the Universal Studios band but if you were to do the same principle at a Disney Waterpark then you would have to store the wearers information if your using a dinning plan ect, that's the point I was making

As for the battery, this is why I stated wireless charging.

Even if they did decide to issue bands to every Water Park visitor, at least for resort guests they could easily use the phone/app to tap and immediately link the account to the band issued to the person in front of them. It would probably take all of a few seconds.

Edit: Come to think of it, this can be done for any guest using the app. Which I imagine is most of them nowadays! I was thinking resort guests in reference to your dining plan comment, but provided a guest has a credit card on file, even off site guests, it could work that way too.

icc2515

Even if they did decide to issue bands to every Water Park visitor, at least for resort guests they could easily use the phone/app to tap and immediately link the account to the band issued to the person in front of them. It would probably take all of a few seconds.

Edit: Come to think of it, this can be done for any guest using the app. Which I imagine is most of them nowadays! I was thinking resort guests in reference to your dining plan comment, but provided a guest has a credit card on file, even off site guests, it could work that way too.
They don't even need to issue expensive bands to guests at the water park or anybody that says that the card is too much trouble. This is something that would be very inexpensive. Just a mini RFID card on a rubber band.

Attachments

• waterpark card.jpg
    waterpark card.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 94

jaklgreen

I really like the MB also. It is great when you go to the pool, especially. I travel solo and would always worry about leaving my room key unattended while in the water because we know that woman's swimsuits don't have pockets. I also try to travel as light as possible and it's great to have park ticket right on your wrist instead of digging into pockets. So many people would stop right after they got through the turnstiles to put their tickets away causing a bottleneck because their brain stops working on vacation to go up and move out of the way. MB helped with that and kept people moving. Also, I travelled with my kids when they were little and my hands where always pretty full. It is amazing to not have to dig through your bags or pockets to get the room key. It might sound like it's no big deal, but it really was a hassle, especially if you are holding a little one. I really don't understand the hatred for them some people have. It was always optional and it really is a convenience for so many.
Personally I like the MB --I don't have to worry about loosing a phone, my wallet or card on some ride. I never take a phone to the park --drives me nuts to have to deal with phone calls on vacation. MB is a great convenience and it is right there on my wrist.

TrainsOfDisney

Personally I like the MB --I don't have to worry about loosing a phone, my wallet or card on some ride. I never take a phone to the park --drives me nuts to have to deal with phone calls on vacation. MB is a great convenience and it is right there on my wrist.
My understanding is that you pretty much have to have your phone now in order to mobile order and check in for dining.

NelsonRD

Maybe $4 with $4 to ship and $4 to handle? $4 profit?
One thing to consider is that to get the ~$4 cost, required a massive quantity commitment over time, which I sure was met, but a risk factor that is often overlooked when people complain about how much something cost vs what is charged for it.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

You would think they would still make them a priority considering universal is about to start selling their own mario magic bands that let you interact with the new land.

NelsonRD

You use the band same as any other. Some MagicBands are just programmed to trigger a different color and/or chime.

An Easter Egg implies that if you do something that is not published, allows you receive the effect. I have never heard of any Easter Eggs at tapstyles. Using them as described, and receiving different effects, is not an Easter Egg. An Easter Egg for example would be, the extra songs on Rip Ride Rocket. If there is something reproducible that you can do at the tapstyles that does something different, I would be interested in hearing about it.

mhaftman7

I’m torn. I love the idea of the MB and I like that the kids aren’t on their phones all day. I see the desire to have customers supply their own device to eliminate a cost. I guess we’ll just have to buy those phone cases with the extra battery incorporated into it and hope for the best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom