Strongly Considering a Trip to WDW: Please Help me plan or talk me out of it

PiratesMansion

I just took a look at the WDW map on the app. The skyliner puts you WAY closer to Frozen than the park entrance. Hopefully the skyliner station don’t have a huge line in the morning.

EDIT: never mind for a second I thought I was going to the UK pavilion, not Norway. Duh. You re right - it’s a little closer

EDIT EDIT: @PiratesMansion you just have to wonder between the stress and high chance of failure of doing this with 3 young kids if it makes more sense to not feel the need to run anywhere, just walk to Test Track first thing and hit Frozen after or when it makes sense. As much I want to maximize my day I also don’t want to feel like I’m running a marathon. Unless the wait time for Frozen increase exponentially?
Honestly, with three young kids, it may be best to just play it by ear and do what they're able to handle. Normally, Frozen would build up quickly and remain crowded for most of the rest of the day. But it sounds like Epcot's attendance has rebounded a bit less than the other parks, and with no FastPass+, it may just end up being a bit more manageable than during more typical periods.

rreading

Looks good.

If you're able to be at each park pre-opening (and give yourself plenty of time before you get there for transportation), I would go immediately to 7DMT, as it will get a long wait instantly (best way is probably to take what would be the Matterhorn path at DL from the hub, then turn left). Frozen is massively popular, but Frozen is quite a ways from the main entrance of Epcot, so it may be better for everyone's sanity to wait until you're closer to it and then bite the bullet when you happen to be in the area.

I would start with FOP for Animal Kingdom if you're able to get there pre-opening, but again everyone else will have the same idea so prepare accordingly. Then do River Journey if there's a short line, otherwise head to Africa and do the Safari. Dinosaur is the last of the the big attractions to build up a significant wait. Everest has a single rider line. Don't forget to walk at least the main animal trails (Gorilla Falls trail in Africa off the safari, Maharajah Jungle Trek in Asia)!

You cannot walk from Animal Kingdom to Sanaa (Animal Kingdom Lodge is not right at the park and is a bit removed from everything else). Keep in mind that there are two buildings at AKL and you want the Kidani Village building for Sanaa.

Explore the Monorail resorts, etc. on a down day. Assume you will need two open-close days at MK and be pleasantly surprised if it turns out you don't.

Epcot-do TT by single rider line. Not really sure what the best plan of attack would be for Frozen at this moment.

Make sure you cancel the reservations you're not going to use before the day of so that you don't get charged the $10/person no show fee.
Agree that it looks good. The 7DMT queue is a lovely place to be standing around but I would definitely hit it early. Last time we were there, it was the only line that didn’t lessen as the day went on. Through the castle then to the right or to the teacups and swing left. Either way. Then would probably hit Peter Pan and Small World. Winnie the Pooh can be done earlier or later but is a nicer version than DL. HM is right next to SW though so I would probably save Winnie for later (it’s usually 15-20min in the late afternoon).

Then is it Space or Splash? With a 5yo, I would probably go splash. Then you play it by ear but commonly BTMRR (if it’s open) has shorter lines in the afternoons.

In Epcot, I would hit Frozen shortly after arrival then take your time from there. I haven’t been back to Epcot since corona so I don’t how it looks under construction but entering at the international gateway will mitigate that effect.

I would recommend if possible that you book SciFi for your first day at HS. That way if you get your fill there on day 2, you’re free to choose another AK/MK or Epcot day. With your kids, HS will probably have the least to offer them -especially without the shows *but if they are doing the Frozen sing-a-long and you’re looking for something to do, it’s cute* and Star Wars aside (which you have at DL) it’s not that rich of an environment. We really enjoy it, but it’s more of a teenager park to me.

The bus to Kidani for Sanaa should not be bad. We love Kidani village and have never had a hard time getting to AK from there. 🤞

If you find the skyliner as convenient as I would expect, you can take the bus from WL to HS then take the skyliner to CB *if they’re all still running*. At some point they stop bus and skyliner service so if dinner at WL goes too late, you could be needing Uber. Similarly, skyliner to HS to bus to AKL could be easier than bus to AK to AKL depending on where your room is at CB. Just options.

Hope it works out for you!

rreading

To me - Test Track is really not that great. We don’t ride it as often as not. Radiator Springs is a huge upgrade from TT. Mission Space is more interesting to us and we love SSE/LwtL.

rreading

Might recommend Whispering Canyon as a 1:30 lunch. If the weather is nice, a boat ride to/from lunch can be a really nice break in the day and you won’t get stuck a WL at the end of the night. You can decide after lunch whether to head back in to MK or back to the hotel to enjoy the resort/pool.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Might recommend Whispering Canyon as a 1:30 lunch. If the weather is nice, a boat ride to/from lunch can be a really nice break in the day and you won’t get stuck a WL at the end of the night. You can decide after lunch whether to head back in to MK or back to the hotel to enjoy the resort/pool.

This is a solid recommendation. I’m just not sure Whispering Canyon is that high of a priority for me to leave MK on my first day of the trip. Sounds like AK has some decent BBQ options and we may do Homecomin which is kind of in the same family. Is Whispering Canyon that great of an experience? Although the boat ride and seeing the Wilderness Lodge sounds nice. Maybe what I can do is cancel my BOG Reservation on the last MK day and replace it with Whispering Canyon. I can always cancel after my first day at MK if i feel I didn’t get enough done and will need the second whole day at MK.

mickEblu

Original Poster
To me - Test Track is really not that great. We don’t ride it as often as not. Radiator Springs is a huge upgrade from TT. Mission Space is more interesting to us and we love SSE/LwtL.

Makes sense. It’s not that Test Track is highest priority for me even though it sounds like a lot of fun. I just know I definitely want to do it and I’m trying to avoid the long line if I can.

rreading

This is a solid recommendation. I’m just not sure Whispering Canyon is that high of a priority for me to leave MK on my first day of the trip. Sounds like AK has some decent BBQ options and we may do Homecomin which is kind of in the same family. Is Whispering Canyon that great of an experience? Although the boat ride and seeing the Wilderness Lodge sounds nice. Maybe what I can do is cancel my BOG Reservation on the last MK day and replace it with Whispering Canyon. I can always cancel after my first day at MK if i feel I didn’t get enough done and will need the second whole day at MK.
One thing that’s been mentioned that I will echo is that the quick service meals at MK are pretty poor these days. I would get a lunch reservation for somewhere- Grand Floridian Cafe vs Whispering Canyon vs even somewhere pretty lame like Plaza Restaurant (though I like Skipper Canteen best).

I personally think that a break out of the parks and lines is good for the kids (and adults). It’s the best example of leaving the park but staying in the bubble. Just as the monorail at DL is considered an attraction, the boat to WL is really pleasant and should not be crowded mid-day. Weather permitting though. If it’s cold and rainy, I would schedule whatever restaurant is available in MK (but I won’t pay $60/pp for a traditional meal unless it’s Be Our Guest).

mickEblu

Original Poster
Agree that it looks good. The 7DMT queue is a lovely place to be standing around but I would definitely hit it early. Last time we were there, it was the only line that didn’t lessen as the day went on. Through the castle then to the right or to the teacups and swing left. Either way. Then would probably hit Peter Pan and Small World. Winnie the Pooh can be done earlier or later but is a nicer version than DL. HM is right next to SW though so I would probably save Winnie for later (it’s usually 15-20min in the late afternoon).

Then is it Space or Splash? With a 5yo, I would probably go splash. Then you play it by ear but commonly BTMRR (if it’s open) has shorter lines in the afternoons.

In Epcot, I would hit Frozen shortly after arrival then take your time from there. I haven’t been back to Epcot since corona so I don’t how it looks under construction but entering at the international gateway will mitigate that effect.

I would recommend if possible that you book SciFi for your first day at HS. That way if you get your fill there on day 2, you’re free to choose another AK/MK or Epcot day. With your kids, HS will probably have the least to offer them -especially without the shows *but if they are doing the Frozen sing-a-long and you’re looking for something to do, it’s cute* and Star Wars aside (which you have at DL) it’s not that rich of an environment. We really enjoy it, but it’s more of a teenager park to me.

The bus to Kidani for Sanaa should not be bad. We love Kidani village and have never had a hard time getting to AK from there. 🤞

If you find the skyliner as convenient as I would expect, you can take the bus from WL to HS then take the skyliner to CB *if they’re all still running*. At some point they stop bus and skyliner service so if dinner at WL goes too late, you could be needing Uber. Similarly, skyliner to HS to bus to AKL could be easier than bus to AK to AKL depending on where your room is at CB. Just options.

Hope it works out for you!

Thanks for this! Those MK Suggestions sound solid. I like the idea of doing Sci Fi on my first DHS day too but only really with intention of going the second day. Unfortunately because of the reservation system I’d have to make that decision now as the parks may/ will be booked by the time I go. I feel that because of all the attractions I want to do at DHS it’s safer to have 2 days there.

Thanks for the transpo ideas!

mickEblu

Original Poster
One thing that’s been mentioned that I will echo is that the quick service meals at MK are pretty poor these days. I would get a lunch reservation for somewhere- Grand Floridian Cafe vs Whispering Canyon vs even somewhere pretty lame like Plaza Restaurant (though I like Skipper Canteen best).

I personally think that a break out of the parks and lines is good for the kids (and adults). It’s the best example of leaving the park but staying in the bubble. Just as the monorail at DL is considered an attraction, the boat to WL is really pleasant and should not be crowded mid-day. Weather permitting though. If it’s cold and rainy, I would schedule whatever restaurant is available in MK (but I won’t pay $60/pp for a traditional meal unless it’s Be Our Guest).

You make a good point. I think I’m going to cancel BOG on my last MK day and replace with a Whispering Canyon reservation. For my first day at MK, taking the Monorail to Grand Floridian sounds nice too. Just don’t want to cut into those precious park hours too much. If they weren’t closing the parks so damn early this would all be a lot easier.

mickEblu

Original Poster

If you could only do one which would you choose? Monorail from MK to Grand Floridian cafe for lunch? Or boat ride from MK to Whipering Canyon for lunch? I don’t think i can fit them both in the itinerary. Unless I do dinner at Grand Floridian my first day at MK but from pictures it seems like a nicer place to have lunch.

mlayton144

If you could only do one which would you choose? Monorail from MK to Grand Floridian cafe for lunch? Or boat ride from MK to Whipering Canyon for lunch? I don’t think i can fit them both in the itinerary. Unless I do dinner at Grand Floridian my first day at MK but from pictures it seems like a nicer place to have lunch.

tough call but I would do wilderness lodge , but if time is a major concern you can walk to grand flo from MK so less waiting for transportation

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Two important things to note:

Your infant needs to be included on your dining reservations, even if she will be lap sitting. It’s a fire code regulation during non-pandemic and a capacity code now. For Disney purposes you are a party of seven.

Your trip falls after the end of Epcot’s Festival of the Arts and before the Taste of Flower and Garden Festival begins. This may limit your “snacking around the world” since none of the Festival food booths will be open. (Though there will be quick service locations available in most countries, as well as bars.)

rreading

Personally my favorite resort is GF. I don’t love the GF Cafe though. WL is more impressive to see and the boat ride really feels like a vacation. I would probably reserve both and plan to cancel WL if weather looks crummy.

iirc, Poly will be under construction so one of your monorail loop hotels will be unavailable to see.

Disstevefan1

So boredom has kicked into full gear. I never thought these would be the conditions I'd want to take my families first trip to WDW but here we are. I’m starting to seriously consider a trip in late February/ early March. Masks, 5 year old, 5 month old (if and when we go) and all. The perks of low capacity and short lines seem to outweigh the mask requirement, shorter hours and less entertainment. Plus we all need it. Well maybe not my 3 month old daughter. But the rest of us do. Looked up the weather in late Feb and it seems pretty nice and mask friendly. This would be our first trip to WDW. Deals seem to be pretty good right now. I looked into pricing tonight for an 8 night stay in late February to Mid March and Coronado Springs is available for $200 per night. The Lakers recently stayed there during the NBA bubble so it can't be too shabby right? 8 nights and 5 day 1 park per day tickets are going to cost about $3500. Flights are about $120 non stop. Dining plans aren't being offered right now but I'm not sure id buy one anyway.

Im a little concerned about how this trip would go with my 5 year old son AND a newborn daughter who is pretty much breast feeding all day So I'm open to anyone calling me crazy or telling me to stay home. With that said its very common for us to go on a day trip and for my wife and I to ask each other if we left her at home as she'll sleep for hours in her stroller.

Here is my rough itinerary: Im planning on spending full days at the park. They all seem to be closing pretty early anyway. I don't think park hopping or going back go the hotel mid day is necessary with the low crowds or convenient with the kids.

Day 1: Arrive at WDW. Dinner at hotel or Disney Springs
Day 2: Park Day
Day 3: Park Day
Day 4: Down Day - Relax at Hotel, Disney Springs and/ or check out other hotels
Day 5: Park Day
Day 6 Park Day
Day 7: Down Day - Relax at Hotel, Disney Springs and/ or check out other hotels
Day 8: Park Day - (whichever park I pick to do twice)
Day 9: Depart

Side note: I might add a Universal park hopper instead of one of the down days (or 5th park day at WDW) and shift my itinerary around a little bit.

So a few questions for some of you WDW vets or DL'ers who have been to WDW:

1. Would you make any changes to the itinerary? Considering I'm going with two young children I figure I'll need the relaxing days in between the days at the park.

2. Are there any days of the week you would recommend for specific parks?

3. With the current capacity restrictions, do I still HAVE to be at the parks early to ride headliners like FOP and MMRR and still be able to do most of the rest of the parks?

4. Which park would you do twice? Ideally, knowing what I know about WDW and being a DL vet, Id probably appreciate a second day at AK the most. However, due to the higher attraction count at MK and more stuff to do for the kids, MK might make more sense.

5. We'll be going with my sister, brother in law and 2 year old nephew so we'll be doing a lot of child switching on the coasters etc. Is this any less convenient at WDW than it is at DL?

6. What are some MUST EATS at the parks, hotels and Disney Springs? Anything from a snack to fine dining. Although the latter may be difficult to pull off. It doesn't have to all be about the food. For example a lunch at Sci Fi Dine in really appeals to me. Something unique or atmospheric is fun too on vacation.

7. Am I making a mistake not getting a park hoppers? I just don't see the value in them on this trip because of the lower crowds and just the inconvenience of it all with my young kids. I also feel like Im allowing myself enough time to where I don't need them. I do worry however about one of my must do attractions going down and missing my chance to ride (unless its at the park I do twice). With park hoppers you can try again another day.

8. Any strong opinions on Coronado Springs? Is it a bad location and does it make it difficult getting to the parks with youngsters? Am I better off staying at the POP Century that has easy Skyliner access for example AND saving money? Caribbean Beach resort also has pretty good rates for a Moderate, is that hotel any good?

9. What are the best ways to get to the parks with a baby and a 5 year old? Babies don't need car seats in buses right? Im not planning on renting a car as it doesn't seem necessary since I'm staying at WDW the entire time except for maybe the one day at Universal.

10. What is the best way to get from the airport to WDW?

11. Id like to hop on the monorail and Skyliner at some point, even if buses may be more convenient from my hotel. What would be the best days to try out those modes of transportation? Whats the best way, convenient and or fun/scenic way to get to the parks from Coronado Springs?

12. Would Disney Springs even feel like a down day? With the hassle that it takes to get there, would I be better off using it as a park day or just going to Disney Springs on days where I possibly finish with the parks early?

13. Is a 1 day park hopper enough for Universal? Is another day there, worth sacrificing one of my down days? Off the top of my head, there are only about 5 Must Do's for me between both parks.

14. Whats the best way to get to Universal from WDW?

15. Am I crazy for considering this trip right now with a 5 year old AND 5 month old?

Thanks in advance for the tips! I promise a very thorough trip report when I get back.
I vote you go
Always get to the parks for rope drop! COVID or not.
If you don’t mind spending the extra $$ get the park hoppers. It looks like once you get your park pass for your initial park, you can freely hop to all 3 other parks with no action needed.
It was always true, weekends are busier so avoid weekends at the Magic kingdom and the Studios at least.
To me, the resort is only a place to sleep, but that’s just me.
If you are staying on site, I presume you would use the free Magical Express to get from the airport.
If it was me, at least 2 days at Universal.
Kids can be a challenge no matter where you travel (COVID or not); it’s up to you if you are up to the challenge.

cm1988

With apologies if any of this seems unnecessarily harsh. Life, death, sickness, and health are tough issues. Jobs and income are tough issues. You've heard and read about them all.

Walt Disney World and its remaining employees are getting by because some percentage of the people is willing to take risks. The risk percentage is very low. It is lower than many other things.

WDW has taken extraordinary precautions. You know about those. People have written firsthand accounts of those; and of their happy visits, and of the good they are doing for peoples' jobs and the economy.

The consequences are high. Even a person who never experiences symptoms often does carry the virus to friends and relatives. Airports and airplanes clean their air and wipe down their surfaces. Then a person, unknowing, and certainly not wanting to hurt anyone, removes a mask for a moment to enjoy a sip of cola, or for a snack. The virus goes out; the mask goes back on. The virus goes home with the traveler in the next row or across the aisle. It goes into a grocery store with the well-intentioned traveler. From there it gets picked up, multiplies, and spreads.

Is the above scenario fiction? Of course! Does it represent what has cost 300,000 lives and millions to suffer in 2020? Yep.

We are months... but not so many months... away from ending this pandemic but we must be patient. We must (and our children must) postpone the WDW brand of fun for a few months longer or some of us... maybe only a few of the thousands of us willing to take the chance... will suffer consequences... themselves, or unknown others will. That's part of what we, as members of a society, can do for each other.

Be well. Be happy. Find the fun you need and do the good that you can.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Two important things to note:

Your infant needs to be included on your dining reservations, even if she will be lap sitting. It’s a fire code regulation during non-pandemic and a capacity code now. For Disney purposes you are a party of seven.

Your trip falls after the end of Epcot’s Festival of the Arts and before the Taste of Flower and Garden Festival begins. This may limit your “snacking around the world” since none of the Festival food booths will be open. (Though there will be quick service locations available in most countries, as well as bars.)

That would of sucked! Thanks for calling that out.

Oh ya I was just referring to trying a lot of the quick service from the different countries as “snacking through world showcase.”

mickEblu

Original Poster
My wife and I do have concerns but have weighed everything out and feel everything should be fine with the proper precautions. Of course, as parents responsible for two young children those concerns are always present. I’m actually more concerned with the effect COVID is having on the guest experience at WDW. At a certain point, you start to wonder if it’s worth it, especially considering the already present complexities of going with the three young children. Not to mention that from what I understand those short waits from October and earlier are probably gone. So without the lower wait times, what am I getting to make the hassle worth it? A few measley bucks off the room? It’s just starting to all feel like work and not the escape we need.

I was on YouTube last night looking for videos on food at WDW and as I was drifting to sleep this video on tips for WDW trips in 2021 came on. Very well made and informative but also kind of bummed out because it just seems their are so many restrictions in place and extra planning you have to do that I’m starting to get cold feet. Lines to go into stores? The need to mobile order counter service an hour in advance? One way entrances and exits all over the place? It just starts sounding like too much in addition to all the other stuff with almost no perks to compensate for all the hassle.

Below is the video. She also does great videos on all the WDW food.

Last edited:

Little Green Men

My wife and I do have concerns but have weighed everything out and feel everything should be fine with the proper precautions. Of course, as parents responsible for two young children those concerns are always present. I’m actually more concerned with the effect COVID is having on the guest experience at WDW. At a certain point, you start to wonder if it’s worth it, especially considering the already present complexities of going with the three young children. Not to mention that from what I understand those short waits from October and earlier are probably gone. So without the lower wait times, what am I getting to make the hassle worth it? A few measley bucks off the room? It’s just starting to all feel like work and not the escape we need.

I was on YouTube last night looking for videos on food at WDW and as I was drifting to sleep this video on tips for WDW trips in 2021 came on. Very well made and informative but also kind of bummed out because it just seems their are so many restrictions in place and extra planning you have to do that I’m starting to get cold feet. Lines to go into stores? The need to mobile order counter service an hour in advance? One way entrances and exits all over the place? It just starts sounding like too much in addition to all the other stuff with almost no perks to compensate for all the hassle.

Below is the video. She also does great videos on all the WDW food.

I guess it depends if some work to have a fun trip sounds worse than just staying home several more months. The lines are only for really popular shops like the emporium, most shouldn’t be like that. The counter service by app is to limit exposure to people and prevent a big crowd together. You can usually submit the order and get it with in a few minutes though. Just the major meal times are more crowded, so try to avoid those times. I think the lines are longer because of the holidays. December 21- January 5 are usually still crowded. By mid January lines should be down a lot.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I guess it depends if some work to have a fun trip sounds worse than just staying home several more months.

Yes that’s what I have to weigh out. Although I could probably reel it back a bit from flying to Orlando for 9 days at WDW. Lol. I kind of just skipped a lot of more low key trips like something along the lines of a road trip up the California coast. Newsom is killing us over here though. I’d love to finally take that road trip up the PCH to Northern California but with all almost every landmark closed it may not be the right time.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom