Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCamel

There was a post I made months ago using data from a life insurance company study that used social security data from several years before COVID existed.

It showed that without COVID, at least well into upper middle aged (I wasn't looking at elderly), the chances of a person dying of some random cause the course of the next year is significantly higher than the chance of catching SARS-CoV-2 and dying from it. The analogy is assuming that it effects people of all ages equally and it demonstrably does not. She is overplaying the virus while asking people not to downplay it.

There's a happy medium between the message she is sending and going to a packed nightclub.
She just wants you all to stop clogging up the healthcare system so she can take a break

HarperRose

She just wants you all to stop clogging up the healthcare system so she can take a break
I'd amend that to say so she doesn't have a physical or mental breakdown. Only people who have family members or friends working on the medical field front lines can appreciate the toll this is taking on their physical and mental health.

HarperRose

I don’t think of it as misinformation. If WDW is being very conscientious about following all the protocols and precautions, people will consider it one of the safer places to visit now.
They can think it all they'd like, it still doesn't make it true.

JoeCamel

I'd amend that to say so she doesn't have a physical or mental breakdown. Only people who have family members or friends working on the medical field front lines can appreciate the toll this is taking on their physical and mental health.
My nephew's wife finished residency two years ago with the goal of working in Africa on infectious diseases (Ebola, etc). She has been on the front line here since this started. Give her a break and wear a mask

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

WDW has better safety standards and more enforcement than many places. No disputing that. What I do think is forgotten in this comparison is overall time spent. If I run into Walmart to get something and back out it’s 10 to 20 mins tops and I’m not standing still anywhere except maybe at checkout. If Walmart got a safety rating of 5 (on a 1 to 10 scale) but I only spend 15 mins there and the rest of my day at home that’s certainly safer overall than spending several days at WDW with a safety rating of 8 or 9. WDW is about as safe as it can be or at least it was for a while while crowds were a little lower, but it was never perfectly safe, nothing really is right now while community spread is so high other than staying home and away from other people.
Agreed! When WDW opened again I think we could all say that they were the leader in safety. There is no such thing as safe travel but they were doing everything asked and more. People felt safe, those that went for the most part.
It’s different now. Yes masks are still enforced with very few people saying they saw this or that but social distancing, which is what’s needed along with the masks is not as good anymore. For every trip report I’ve read it seems about 6-7 people out of 10 didn’t feel comfortable with the crowds. My wife’s just had 2 clients and their families return over the last 2 weeks and that was the first thing they said. People way to close to each other in lines.. crowds in walkways.. and no way to stop it. One family actually left 2 parks on two days earlier because they were uncomfortable. They still thought rows on rides were still being separated. You can’t go to Disney’s site to find that info. It just happens. They are not the people on these boards that know the ins and outs of everything and are in the know of daily changes. ... they booked by reading WDW guidelines saying masks and social distancing are enforced. Maybe Disney needs to change that to masks are enforced but distancing not so much.
I get it.. don’t go if you don’t like the situation, the reason I’m not going.. but other things play into it and it’s a shame for people believing one thing because Disney said it and going and seeing it’s not what they read.

DisneyCane

I have both family and friends who are healthcare workers that treat COVID patients and none of them are having a worse physical or mental toll taken on them than their job normally took on them prior to COVID. Their job is to treat sick people and that is what they do every day. It doesn't matter what illness they have.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
That’s a bizarre way to look at things. Someone writing a story about their experience at WDW cannot say anything negative because they chose to go to WDW? So he had to either like everything and blow pixie dust out his rear end about it or say nothing? What’s wrong with honest feedback on what worked and didn’t work?

Nobody said you can’t like cavalcades better than parades, the author feels the opposite, not sure why you feel it’s ok for you to have an opinion but not him. I also don’t know why you feel you shouldn’t be able to talk about the things you perceived as negative. I have written plenty of negative reviews of things and never felt that way.
my post said absolutely nothing about a person should not write negative reviews or talk about something they perceived as negative. I even stated that I personally wrote A few negative comments about my own experience.

The last sentence in my post sums up what my point was. a person should not take advantage of traveling to a location that's open during the pandemic and then tell others that they should not travel to that same location during the pandemic for reasons they personally did not like.

And yes, it happens every day where someone writes an article online or tell someone not to go somewhere for their own personal reasons but when you use the pandemic as a reason not to go yet you
She never mentioned anything about people losing their business home or job. It wasn't skewed on a offensive level at all. All she was saying is for people to take this seriously and that it's not a hoax.

As far as businesses go, this is what they are doing here to help them. They are covering 65% of wages, 70% of rent and during this lockdown that just started every business that is affected can get a $40,000 grant.
If you don't see the completely skewed numbers on her mathematics in terms of how many skittles she used to compare the population of planet Earth vs covid deaths, then i can't help you.

And thank you for further proving my point in regards to her completely not mentioning the amount of people loosing jobs/businesses/income/ability to properly care for their family olif they were offered an honest mathematical chance of "eating a bad skittle".
How dare she try and give out factual information to people. Then, of course, there are those who make her job/life hell because of their selfishness and unwillingness to listen and believe science. Well, guess what? Science doesn't care if you believe in it or not.

Can we please knock off the tired, constantly refuted, flat out wrong, "99% chance of survival" tripe? Just because it's constantly recited by people who are willfully ignorant doesn't make it true.
I was citing the inacuracy of her mathematics. Are you denying math?

Polkadotdress

my post said absolutely nothing about a person should not write negative reviews or talk about something they perceived as negative. I even stated that I personally wrote A few negative comments about my own experience.

If you don't see the completely skewed numbers on her mathematics in terms of how many skittles she used to compare the population of planet Earth vs covid deaths, then i can't help you.

And thank you for further proving my point in regards to her completely not mentioning the amount of people loosing jobs/businesses/income/ability to properly care for their family olif they were offered an honest mathematical chance of "eating a bad skittle".

She wasn’t comparing Earth numbers. She was comparing US numbers. Total cases vs total deaths.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
They can think it all they'd like, it still doesn't make it true.
If Fauci were to go on tv and say it was ok to visit WDW, you would see a majority of the population flocking to Orlando. Fauci could say that eating cat litter would help prevent covid and within 24 hours you wouldn't be able to find cat litter at any stores.

People could think it all they'd like , but it wouldn't make it true.

Jrb1979

The last sentence in my post sums up what my point was. a person should not take advantage of traveling to a location that's open during the pandemic and then tell others that they should not travel to that same location during the pandemic for reasons they personally did not like.

And yes, it happens every day where someone writes an article online or tell someone not to go somewhere for their own personal reasons but when you use the pandemic as a reason not to go yet you

I think you completely missed her point. Her point was about the way people are following what the CDC asks. Doing non essential travel and having family gatherings is making cases rise and leading to ICUs being full. Too many are too focused on the economy and dismiss Covid.

DisneyDebRob

I have both family and friends who are healthcare workers that treat COVID patients and none of them are having a worse physical or mental toll taken on them than their job normally took on them prior to COVID. Their job is to treat sick people and that is what they do every day. It doesn't matter what illness they have.
Are you serious? I mean you have said some amazing things but this might be the biggest.
I also along with many in here have family and friends on the front line and everyone.. I mean everyone that I have talked with says this is really taking a toll on them. Never ever have they seen so many people die while they held their hands.. or a iPad so their family can talk to them. You have got to be kidding me?
Of course that is their job and their doing it the best they can but this is nothing like they have seen before.
I can’t believe I even had to type this but that made me furious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom