Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

Mike730

Satellite image from yesterday showing the new interchange to the north and the new terminal and intermodal station to the south.
MCOSat2020-11-29.PNG

joelkfla

I apologize as this has probably been asked, but theoretically where at Disney Springs would the train station go?
That has not been revealed. 3 locations appear to have enough space:
  1. Behind Speedway
  2. Strawberry Lot
  3. Watermelon Lot
Since it looks like it will be a stub-end station (in and out by the same track), Strawberry or Watermelon look most likely. Tracks are planned to approach from World Center Dr., so they could easily come almost straight in to that area.

WDWdream97

That has not been revealed. 3 locations appear to have enough space:
  1. Behind Speedway
  2. Strawberry Lot
  3. Watermelon Lot
Since it looks like it will be a stub-end station (in and out by the same track), Strawberry or Watermelon look most likely. Tracks are planned to approach from World Center Dr., so they could easily come almost straight in to that area.
Thank you! After its built it will be amazing how dramatically different Disney Springs is from what is was just 7 years ago.

Magic Feather

I would be shocked to see the station go onto Strawberry unless there are long term plans to really integrate the station into Springs. Personally, I'm expecting the plot next to Speedway/by DS Cast Services as it involves the least amount of track/smallest distance to cover. Using watermelon would involve awkwardly swerving the surface lot ramp.

joelkfla

I would be shocked to see the station go onto Strawberry unless there are long term plans to really integrate the station into Springs. Personally, I'm expecting the plot next to Speedway/by DS Cast Services as it involves the least amount of track/smallest distance to cover. Using watermelon would involve awkwardly swerving the surface lot ramp.
I disagree. Brightline has already said that the platforms will be elevated. They presented a project update that shows the tracks coming in along SR-536. I'm assuming they'll be elevated crossing the I-4 / 536 interchange. It would be easy to just continue the viaduct along the I-4 DS ramp across BVD right into Watermelon, or a bit further into Strawberry. If they're elevated all the way, there's no need for any major changes to existing surface roads.

Since the platforms are elevated, the ground footprint of the station can be fairly small. For example, the platforms could extend from either lot over the existing West Side bus loop (which BTW could be used to transfer passengers.)

Situating the platforms parallel to I-4 behind Speedway would require an acute turn from SR-536, avoiding Team Disney. OTOH, SR-536 to a platform perpendicular to BVD would be a gentle curve less than 90°, as would the turn exiting to I-4 westbound.

There doesn't appear to be very much difference in distances from the east edge of the I-4 / 536 interchange, especially in relation to overall route from MCO.

But of course it's all speculation at this point.

Magic Feather

I disagree. Brightline has already said that the platforms will be elevated. They presented a project update that shows the tracks coming in along SR-536. I'm assuming they'll be elevated crossing the I-4 / 536 interchange. It would be easy to just continue the viaduct along the I-4 DS ramp across BVD right into Watermelon, or a bit further into Strawberry. If they're elevated all the way, there's no need for any major changes to existing surface roads.

Since the platforms are elevated, the ground footprint of the station can be fairly small. For example, the platforms could extend from either lot over the existing West Side bus loop (which BTW could be used to transfer passengers.)

Situating the platforms parallel to I-4 behind Speedway would require an acute turn from SR-536, avoiding Team Disney. OTOH, SR-536 to a platform perpendicular to BVD would be a gentle curve less than 90°, as would the turn exiting to I-4 westbound.

There doesn't appear to be very much difference in distances from the east edge of the I-4 / 536 interchange, especially in relation to overall route from MCO.

But of course it's all speculation at this point.
I think your issue in that plan is even having the train get to the heart of the 536/I-4 interchange. Just looking at 536 (and knowing it from when I lived in Orlando) the only clear shot from 417 to I-4 has the train riding the north/westbound median of the road. The center median straight up disappears once or twice to accommodate left and right turn lanes.
Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 11.56.55 PM.png

Going off of that, following 536 through the interchange would lead to five crossover that the train couldn't easily handle unless it went really high or had really steep grade changes (from left to right, it would need to go over, under, then likely over the already elevated roadway for the rest of the points. Then it would have to dodge the purple ramps going to/from the Orange Garage Overpass (which are roughly the elevation of the train platform) by either cutting through forest or doing an awkward s-bend before finally crossing over BV Blvd.

By aiming for the area by speedway (cyan/lime) it can continue to follow the westbound median's on-ramp, building uphill slowly to be high enough to cross over I-4, where the train can then maintain that height as it pulls into the station.

joelkfla

I think your issue in that plan is even having the train get to the heart of the 536/I-4 interchange. Just looking at 536 (and knowing it from when I lived in Orlando) the only clear shot from 417 to I-4 has the train riding the north/westbound median of the road. The center median straight up disappears once or twice to accommodate left and right turn lanes.View attachment 517222
Going off of that, following 536 through the interchange would lead to five crossover that the train couldn't easily handle unless it went really high or had really steep grade changes (from left to right, it would need to go over, under, then likely over the already elevated roadway for the rest of the points. Then it would have to dodge the purple ramps going to/from the Orange Garage Overpass (which are roughly the elevation of the train platform) by either cutting through forest or doing an awkward s-bend before finally crossing over BV Blvd.

By aiming for the area by speedway (cyan/lime) it can continue to follow the westbound median's on-ramp, building uphill slowly to be high enough to cross over I-4, where the train can then maintain that height as it pulls into the station.
But Brightline platforms are 850' long. The depth of the Speedway lot is half of that. I was proposing it as a possible location based on the platforms being parallel to I-4, and extending over part of the Cast Services lot. They wouldn't fit perpendicular to I-4 in the Speedway lot, and to go in the CS lot they would have to extend well over the pond adjoining I-4.

Part of the puzzle is the future of I-4. The I-4 Beyond project would make it a multi-level roadway between 535 & 536, with traditional lanes above express lanes. So a trackway crossing I-4 would be higher than 2 roadway levels, and there is no room for a decline before where you have the platforms.

Going over the highway interchange might require going even higher, but there should be enough room to come down to a reasonable level before reaching Watermelon, and even more so before Strawberry.

Frankly, how Brightline will coordinate with I-4 Beyond is a mystery to me. If Brightline wants to start construction around 2023, I think reconstruction of that section of I-4 will either be just getting underway or still off in the future.

UCF

Original Poster
Frankly, how Brightline will coordinate with I-4 Beyond is a mystery to me. If Brightline wants to start construction around 2023, I think reconstruction of that section of I-4 will either be just getting underway or still off in the future.
My understanding is they're splitting it into a different phase... Brightline wants the MCO-Disney route up by 2025 but Tampa will be a couple years later. I imagine they'll try to build it as at the same time as I-4 beyond maybe, but a lot of the route already had bridges raised and accomodations for the previous Florida HSR project.

homerdance

Ideally there would be dedicated dme trains constantly departing (every 30-50 minutes) and then when you arrive you follow the signs to a bus that would take you to your resort.

Assuming mini-vans are back by then, a mini van could take you immediately to your hotel as well.
Until there is a better way to get around Disney, unless you are staying at one of the Springs Resorts, I can’t see how this would be better vs DME. The busing/roads within Disney Property has always been the worst part of the transportation. From MCO isn’t a bad ride, few stops and goes.

TrainsOfDisney

Until there is a better way to get around Disney, unless you are staying at one of the Springs Resorts, I can’t see how this would be better vs DME. The busing/roads within Disney Property has always been the worst part of the transportation. From MCO isn’t a bad ride, few stops and goes.
“Better” is subjective. I don’t think it would be particularly better or worse convenience wise.

If it was properly designed and impimented, it could have a more classy feel to it, but that’s true for DME as well.

homerdance

“Better” is subjective. I don’t think it would be particularly better or worse convenience wise.

If it was properly designed and impimented, it could have a more classy feel to it, but that’s true for DME as well.
I will agree 100%, taking a train 100 times better than a bus, even a”motor coach”. The thing is to properly implement costs more money than Disney will invest

the.dreamfinder

Ideally there would be dedicated dme trains constantly departing (every 30-50 minutes) and then when you arrive you follow the signs to a bus that would take you to your resort.

Assuming mini-vans are back by then, a mini van could take you immediately to your hotel as well.
That dispatch rate isn’t good enough for mass transit. It needs to be closer to 5-10 minutes to be an effective option for guests to get to property.

CJR

It would make sense to have the station close to the existing bus loops IMO. Unless Disney plans to have a more direct shuttle at the train station.

If they're wanting people to go to the existing Disney Springs resort busses, it will be interesting to see what they do with luggage. The Minnie Van would probably be a good upsell, if they revive it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom