News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

tirian

Festival Area is a compromise. Expect some nice landscaping, plenty on room for booths and tables, a stage area (or at least a place for a stage) and maybe some astro turf.

I'm under the impression that the coffee table is not dead. It's "pushed until we need it/can afford it" which means there is plenty of time for a potential redesign, but there's an exec (trying to nail who down) that was the table's advocate. That exec is still there, and that is why we are getting "placeholder for cool festival center" instead of festival center-lite. My personal guess is that something will be built on that space once private events have bounced back to roughly where they were pre-COVID.
So they’ll build a massive piece of architecture in a prime location for private events once private events are needed.

Got it.

Also, this new core sucks and the whole redo is lousy. I’m tired of pretending this has the potential to live up to the Imagineering renaissance that lasted through the ‘80s and early ‘90s.

Last edited:

Bocabear

Unfortunately it feels like they are making short-sited decision that will later be catastrophic losses to the park as a whole. The road map to return the park to an epic world-class masterpiece was always there... Abandoning the road doesn't necessarily take you to a better place....The park needed updating and some fresh new attractions...not a complete teardown and reorganization...Unfortunately things destroyed will never be replaced and it feels like the park will never be even close to what it once was.

J4546

damn a lot of hate for the new epcot stuff. I like it, im not a fan of GotG or Remi (or Frozen for that matter) at epcot but I think overall it was still a good choice to put them there. Epcot had the least amount of visitors and needed a major attraction to draw people in, its the biggest park in orlando and has dozens of restaraunts and its really easy to spend a lot of money there, so getting more people in is good for disney. Also, this leaves the door open for another coaster like GotG in disney studios galaxys edge land (pipe dream) Im honesty looking forward to the moana stuff too even though i know itll be a small attraction. I wonder how green they are gonna make that area, cause if they filled it with trees and gave it a real forested/jungle feeling like animal kingdom, thatd be cool.

Bocabear

Adding appropriate character attractions to the countries isn't a bad idea, but they really need to be appropriate...Frozen was not so much, while Ratatouille seems like a perfect fit. Coco would have been another much better upgrade than Donde Estas Donald...
I have more problem with the destruction of the symmetry of the park... The loss of attractions that inspired, The lack of any real meaning. Moana would be lovely if they had a Pacific Island Nations pavilion in the World Showcase... but at the entrance into the park, makes no sense to me... What does Polynesia have to do with the main entrance of the park? There was a beautiful dynamic unfolding of the park in it's original format...Like a formal introduction then you are off to explore... Now it's a meaningless ride about communication followed by a vast deserted plaza and event space... A Water play area leading to an aquarium exhibit and acres and acres of lawn and trees...
I don't know... It just seems lost...

aladdin2007

damn a lot of hate for the new epcot stuff. I like it, im not a fan of GotG or Remi (or Frozen for that matter) at epcot but I think overall it was still a good choice to put them there. Epcot had the least amount of visitors and needed a major attraction to draw people in, its the biggest park in orlando and has dozens of restaraunts and its really easy to spend a lot of money there, so getting more people in is good for disney. Also, this leaves the door open for another coaster like GotG in disney studios galaxys edge land (pipe dream) Im honesty looking forward to the moana stuff too even though i know itll be a small attraction. I wonder how green they are gonna make that area, cause if they filled it with trees and gave it a real forested/jungle feeling like animal kingdom, thatd be cool.

and that's where it belongs, animal kingdom (or maybe world showcase as bocabear stated as a pacific islands pavilion of some sort). its not even an attraction, since when did a walk through garden with a waterfall become an attraction. they are so desperate to throw IP in every direction that all the parks are becoming all the same, just one giant ip mish mash with no cohesiveness any longer.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
North building? I always thought it was CommuniCore East and CommuniCore West. 🤷‍♂️
I'm assuming there was a preceding debate that when the pandemic halted construction, and the NW building remained; there were rumors it wouldn't get demo'd like the SW building. So, in that debate over the two Western quarters... this is the 'North building'.

DreamfinderGuy

North building? I always thought it was CommuniCore East and CommuniCore West. 🤷‍♂️
The CommuniCore buildings are officially separated into four quadrants as of Innoventions' development, but they're largely referred to as two buildings in promotional material. The quadrants nearest to Spaceship Earth (northernmost) are considered the Northeast and Northwest, whereas the southernmost ones are obviously Southeast and Southwest. The East and West breezeways separate the quadrants from each other. Southwest has been fully removed and Northwest is on it's way there.

Bocabear

and that's where it belongs, animal kingdom (or maybe world showcase as bocabear stated as a pacific islands pavilion of some sort). its not even an attraction, since when did a walk through garden with a waterfall become an attraction. they are so desperate to throw IP in every direction that all the parks are becoming all the same, just one giant ip mish mash with no cohesiveness any longer.
YES! and that is my point... No Cohesion whatsoever... You enter a futuristic courtyard dominated by an amazing Geodesic sphere... Pass through the breezeway and.... End up in a vast landscaped football field sized space of nothingness except a Polynesian themed waterfall and pathway leading off to the right.. Like I just don't get it at all... The lack of symmetry and framing for the Sphere... A lack of cohesive story bringing you into the park... Are they just not releasing the rest of the story about how this space is going to be used? I tend to think not... I tend to think they have not really thought past a couple of hasty ideas...
"But we want vast open spaces of landscape and nothing to do!" said no one ever.
The Original park was designed to open to you in a series of "acts" much like a play... This puts a lengthy intermission right after the overture... Bad pacing and bad design choices.

montyz81

Northwest fully gutted.

This makes me think this should stay like this as an open-air Pavillion. I could see the reimagined "Table" turning into this open-air concept with some level of work done on the roof to accommodate the plants and trees' addition. Leave the bottom open and integrate the Moana part, so it flows from underneath to the outside.

What do you think?

That could save Disney a boat load of money.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
More pictures from today of the West side demo

Epcot_Full_39996.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom