Should the 2020 WDW Christmas Day parade mention the massive layoff situation?

Should the 2020 WDW Christmas Day parade mention the massive layoff situation?

• Yes, it will explain why these decisions must be made in times of uncertainty

• No, it's best to steer clear of that topic

Results are only viewable after voting.

Capt. Hook

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Every year Disney pre-tapes segments for its annual Christmas Day televised parade. This year however, things have been far from the norm. One of the biggest issues for the parks this year has been the sea of layoffs due to the global pandemic. As crazy as this sounds, would it be a wise decision for Disney to address this hot topic during the annual televised event on Christmas day to add some sense and comfort during these troubling times? Explain how things will rebound and jobs will return to the tourist destination once we are living in better days?
There are many families right now who are hesitant to travel as it is, but frustration over the massive layoffs adds anger to the uncertainty. A short segment during the Christmas program exposing some light into this darkness might give many viewers currently angered over the layoffs a feeling of hope to ride this storm out. Maybe have one of the celebrities who is scheduled to appear during the taping take a brief moment to share some love over the air and mention all the hard work the CMs do every day, explain how these things happen and will get better in time. Then join other celebrities or some of the company big wigs to send sympathy, wish everyone effected a Merry Christmas, and show them with their families celebrating at the parks as a sign that troubled days will pass. Also allot time to thank current CMs who are still working and share appreciation for all they do. Have them come onto screen and say "We are with you" or "See you real soon" to those who lost their jobs in hopes they will come back when the pandemic life has faded. Then show them celebrating Christmas at the parks as a sign of optimism. In hard times we need reminders that this is all temporary and life will improve hopefully sooner not later. There is no better day than Christmas to remind people that we will get through all this. What are your thoughts? Could this work if done correctly, or is it better avoided altogether?

NelsonRD

Every year Disney pre-tapes segments for its annual Christmas Day televised parade. This year however, things have been far from the norm. One of the biggest issues for the parks this year has been the sea of layoffs due to the global pandemic. As crazy as this sounds, would it be a wise decision for Disney to address this hot topic during the annual televised event on Christmas day to add some sense and comfort during these troubling times? Explain how things will rebound and jobs will return to the tourist destination once we are living in better days?
There are many families right now who are hesitant to travel as it is, but frustration over the massive layoffs adds anger to the uncertainty. A short segment during the Christmas program exposing some light into this darkness might give many viewers currently angered over the layoffs a feeling of hope to ride this storm out. Maybe have one of the celebrities who is scheduled to appear during the taping take a brief moment to share some love over the air and mention all the hard work the CMs do every day, explain how these things happen and will get better in time. Then join other celebrities or some of the company big wigs to send sympathy, wish everyone effected a Merry Christmas, and show them with their families celebrating at the parks as a sign that troubled days will pass. Also allot time to thank current CMs who are still working and share appreciation for all they do. Have them come onto screen and say "We are with you" or "See you real soon" to those who lost their jobs in hopes they will come back when the pandemic life has faded. Then show them celebrating Christmas at the parks as a sign of optimism. In hard times we need reminders that this is all temporary and life will improve hopefully sooner not later. There is no better day than Christmas to remind people that we will get through all this. What are your thoughts? Could this work if done correctly, or is it better avoided altogether?

No. No. No. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say we are all a little tired of activism. I feel bad for the layoffs across every industry that this has affected. Interrupting the Christmas parade to discuss the politics of layoffs, and what Disney should and should not be doing, would not be helpful. We are all aware. I would turn the channel.

And I definitely do not want more celebrity commentary as they go back to their gated community. Rock and Movie stars used to toss TV's out of hotel windows, now they are crying after elections.

I do not need to see more platitudes in everything I try to watch. Please stop with all the awareness. We are all aware.

Capt. Hook

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
No. No. No. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say we are all a little tired of activism. I feel bad for the layoffs across every industry that this has affected. Interrupting the Christmas parade to discuss the politics of layoffs, and what Disney should and should not be doing, would not be helpful. We are all aware. I would turn the channel.

And I definitely do not want more celebrity commentary as they go back to their gated community. Rock and Movie stars used to toss TV's out of hotel windows, now they are crying after elections.

I do not need to see more platitudes in everything I try to watch. Please stop with all the awareness. We are all aware.
I get that. I'm sick of many of the things you mention. I just thought this would be necessary since bad news hit during Thanksgiving week (the extra layoffs), adding to an already infuriating situation. I thought that if one of the big-wigs took a moment or two, nothing preachy or diving into politics, simply said something along the lines of "As you may have heard, we have had to say goodbye to many of our CM family recently, but hopefully our goodbye will be a 'See You Real Soon' when circumstances allow.." Something like that. Then cut to a brief montage honoring the work of CMs.

After thought on what you said I also agree the celebrity inclusion would be over the top and not help the message being sent.

NelsonRD

I get that. I'm sick of many of the things you mention. I just thought this would be necessary since bad news hit during Thanksgiving week (the extra layoffs), adding to an already infuriating situation. I thought that if one of the big-wigs took a moment or two, nothing preachy or diving into politics, simply said something along the lines of "As you may have heard, we have had to say goodbye to many of our CM family recently, but hopefully our goodbye will be a 'See You Real Soon' when circumstances allow.." Something like that. Then cut to a brief montage honoring the work of CMs.

After thought on what you said I also agree the celebrity inclusion would be over the top and not help the message being sent.

I understand your message, but I am sorry, it is not necessary. We have all been affected by this in some way, and I think additional coverage will not be productive or result in any different outcome. It is better to send the message of joy and hope, without the monotony of 2020.

NelleBelle

I think having the “big wigs” come on and give a speech for why they did what they did and again just this week would be absolutely disgusting to listen to, especially as a recently laid-off CM. How is that fixing anything? It’s just adding fuel to the fire, especially for those who may be having a difficult time around the holidays with meeting their financial commitments. Who wants to hear from those blow bards who get to drive their expensive cars and not worry where their next meal is coming from. This is a topic that needs to be left out of the spotlight.

Brer Panther

Regardless as to whether or not they SHOULD, there's no way Disney is gonna do it. They're all about looking good in the public eye.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Only state that I know that still lives in ancient times where it is state law that the customer cannot pump their own gas is NJ.
And so glad for that!

Showing up for a formal gala smelling of gasoline is dreadful.
Besides, everyone knows that pumping gas is a highly technical job that can result in a catastrophic fire and explosion if not done correctly.

Goofyernmost

No, if we ever want to feel good about anything again or even have the slightest chance of getting the parks (and the CM's) back where they belong we need to stop insinuating that any employer is evil because they are victims of the Pandemic just like all of us. Making that point is going to muster upset from the CM's that were affected, nothing from those that are still collecting paychecks and doubt from the general public about the possibility of things getting back to anywhere normal.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Buy an electric car ... problem solved đź‘Ť
Not necessarily...
1606511600360.png

eliza61nyc

absolutely, and in reality the parade reaches a wide audience of people whohave no intention of going to Disneyworld. What purpose would it serve? if any thing I think it would make matters worst, with so many people out of work I think you run the chance of most people being cruel and saying "join the club"

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

Absolutely not appropriate to include anything layoff related during the Christmas parade. Its a topic thats been and is being broadcast all over the news and internet as it occurs, so I doubt theres many people who arent aware of Disney laying off CM's. Besides a Christmas parades purpose is to make those watching forget about the negatives in life, bring some joyfulness and high spirits into our homes, filling us with the hopes of the season. Not having anything that is depressing and gloomy. Disney's role has always been to take us away from the burdens and troubles of life and put us into that place where happiness abounds. Lets all enjoy what we can even if its a parade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom