Joe Rohde announces retirement from WDI

esskay

Big shoes to fill...but his accomplishments are there to stand the test of time!

Happy retirement!
Sadly there isn't really anyone left to fill them. The only Imagineers left aren't in a position to have any authority or real say on anything anymore.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

So a question - does WDW still have a Pension System? For folks of this caliber, and length of service?
Reason I ask ... when DW & I retired from a major Chemical Company... part of our thought process was to DECLARE (a fairly legal term), before the Company changed, or eliminated, the Pension Plan.

ThatMouse

So a question - does WDW still have a Pension System? For folks of this caliber, and length of service?
Reason I ask ... when DW & I retired from a major Chemical Company... part of our thought process was to DECLARE (a fairly legal term), before the Company changed, or eliminated, the Pension Plan.
His pension and social security is nothing compared to his savings account and potential stock options.

tirian

This is a sad day... I feel like he was one of the few currently at Disney that truly "gets it." His work speaks for itself.
He wasn’t perfect (Guardians Tower), but he was the last high-level person who “got it” (all of DAK).

This is a sobering day for WDI. They’ll still produce decent attractions, but their time of being head-and-shoulders above competitors has ended. Expect to see more “Yes, but...” attractions rather than “Yes, and...” The cuts will continue to be noticeable.

So long, Joe. We’ll miss you.

BoarderPhreak

It kind of makes sense that he's retiring, if you think of the state Disney is currently in... Iger's gone; Chapek's in charge of the hen house now, any project that isn't near completion is essentially mothballed and things won't be "normal" for another year at best. What big project is left for him at Disney? 2020 will be a year to remember for Disney parks, but for all the wrong reasons.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just the fact that he was able to create the masterpiece that is Pandora out of an IP most people (myself included) couldn't care less about makes him a legend in my eyes.

...what about James Cameron?

did you not see everything before the ride or were you blindfolded up until they handed you the flight vizors?

See above.

And the rest of AK and Aulani amongst other things...

Woah there, newt...she’s rearin’

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Joe always did seemed to be too good to be true for WDI. Meaning, too much of a philosophizing artist to work for a penny-vacuuming marketing machine like Disney. The time seems right.

Bulldozers for AK's Zootopia starting in 3... 2... 1...

I think the legacy is “complicated”...to say the least.

I’m too lazy to read...so forgive if this is repetitive:
Anyone have a theory on what exactly happened?

I see 4 possibilities.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom