1605641139099.png

1605641220638.png

1605641332000.png

1605641354391.png

1605641436910.png

1605641463979.png

Disstevefan1

That’s not what anyone is saying...

What we’re saying...cause it happens to be the truth...is that it’s rising everywhere and since Florida is NOT doing everything it can...it makes wdw vulnerable.

Whether you like it or not...Disney can’t “magic seal” itself off from the outside world. We’ll also find out that there were of course positive tests amongst employees and customers all along...later. Especially if rapid test are deployed (they will be I would guess). Word will get out.
What is “doing everything it can”? Shutdown everything again? Curfews again? Mask mandates when 80 percent of the US is already masking and we have 100 percent masking in WDW?

If/when you find out there are cases caused by visiting WDW, please let the rest of us know.

techgeek

Does anyone have any data showing WDW is some sort of super spreader location, or is folks just assuming????

You would think the mainstream media would love to nail DeSantis if they had even a tiny bit of evidence!

I posted and we discussed this study in Nature back a couple dozen pages:

This is no real surprise, but a recent study published today in Nature is proving to be very timely to the discussion on indoor dining:

The article linked is a decent summary, here’s the actual study itself:

And here is a relevant graph from the study, ranking types of establishments by modeled risk of infection:

76A98269-3928-40BC-BE13-BEA4135E1BF8.jpeg

The study did not model Orlando among the handful of cities they looked at, I believe this graph is from Chicago data. There’s also not a ‘theme park / resort’ category, but I think it’s fair to make some associations from categories that have similar components of interaction.

This data is the closest science I’ve seen to suggest that WDW does in fact represent a higher risk environment, perhaps even with in place mitigation. Since we don’t have viable contact tracing and a WDW visit necessitates multiple accessory interactions, I don’t think you’re going to ever see any hard data pinning an outbreak to WDW specifically, outside of model studies like this. Perhaps the closest would be a documented cast member outbreak, which I’ve seen implied on social media but never verified by an official source.

So yeah, personally, I’m kind of just assuming based on what we now know about how the virus behaves. Is it possible to visit WDW without hitting higher risk venues like indoor dining? Sure. Are you at lower risk overall eating indoors at WDW compared to your neighborhood Applebee’s? Undoubtedly. But to me there’s a lot of common sense to the fact that a place with lots of people, from very geographically diverse sources, should now be recognized as a place of higher risk.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What is “doing everything it can”? Shutdown everything again? Curfews again? Mask mandates when 80 percent of the US is already masking and we have 100 percent masking in WDW?

If/when you find out there are cases caused by visiting WDW, please let the rest of us know.

Not mandate that local authorities not adjust to their situations?
Not force openings when no Health experts thought it was warranted/too early?
Not be a general inmate run asylum?

The little things.

And cases are up everywhere. You think a place with 30,000 employees slogging in and out from Kissimmee, BVL and clermont are wrapped in anti-viral bubble wrap? You think a thermal scan does the job?
...I got some beans to sell you.

TrainsOfDisney

And here is a relevant graph from the study, ranking types of establishments by modeled risk of infection:

View attachment 513754

The study did not model Orlando among the handful of cities they looked at, I believe this graph is from Chicago data. There’s also not a ‘theme park / resort’ category, but I think it’s fair to make some associations from categories that have similar components of interaction.

This data is the closest science I’ve seen to suggest that WDW does in fact represent a higher risk environment, perhaps even with in place mitigation. Since we don’t have viable contact tracing and a WDW visit necessitates multiple accessory interactions, I don’t think you’re going to ever see any hard data pinning an outbreak to WDW specifically, outside of model studies like this. Perhaps the closest would be a documented cast member outbreak, which I’ve seen implied on social media but never verified by an official source.

So yeah, personally, I’m kind of just assuming based on what we now know about how the virus behaves. Is it possible to visit WDW without hitting higher risk venues like indoor dining? Sure. Are you at lower risk overall eating indoors at WDW compared to your neighborhood Applebee’s? Undoubtedly. But to me there’s a lot of common sense to the fact that a place with lots of people, from very geographically diverse sources, should now be recognized as a place of higher risk.
On that graph... is full service restaurants assuming normal operation or social distance operations?

techgeek

On that graph... is full service restaurants assuming normal operation or social distance operations?

Err... that’s actually a good question I’ve been trying to figure out. I believe it’s simply ‘reopening’ without defining capacity. They run though a bunch of capacity simulations as well to give some weight to that, if you read further into it.

But..

The data seems to be pointing to the unfortunate concept that it really doesn’t matter.

that’s kind of what I believe also. The social component of indoor dining coupled with the need to be unmasked for most of the meal is what it is. And it’s not good.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
That’s not what anyone is saying...

What we’re saying...cause it happens to be the truth...is that it’s rising everywhere and since Florida is NOT doing everything it can...it makes wdw vulnerable.

Whether you like it or not...Disney can’t “magic seal” itself off from the outside world. We’ll also find out that there were of course positive tests amongst employees and customers all along...later. Especially if rapid test are deployed (they will be I would guess). Word will get out.
Florida is also NOT doing everything it can to prevent actual deaths (not cases) of cancer, heart disease, etc. Should WDW be held responsible for NOT doing more? When you begin to deal in absolutes, you have already failed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Florida is also NOT doing everything it can to prevent actual deaths (not cases) of cancer, heart disease, etc. Should WDW be held responsible for NOT doing more? When you begin to deal in absolutes, you have already failed.

Oh...we’re gonna go back to the false equivalency gong show again??

And there were no darts thrown at wdw. They’re doing what they can...credit to them. But they don’t have mystical control. It’s a fantasy vacation compound...the real world is always backstage...and definitely across 535 and 192

...this isn’t gonna end well.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

There were people who got infected at WDW. It would be statistically impossible given the level of community spread for that not to be the case. Pixie dust doesn‘t magically protect you and they have a bunch of indoor dining locations open which we know are not ideal. Has there been a mass outbreak tied back to WDW? No, but that’s different than saying there are no cases.

On the subject of doing more, it’s a lot of tone from the top. Many states that resisted masks for months are now turning the corner and mandating them statewide. I’m not sure if that’s just because the big guy lost his election and they feel less pressure to be ”team players” or if they really have come around on the idea that masks help. Having indoor dining and bars open without restrictions is a big mistake IMHO. You have to be willing to adjust up and down based on circumstances. It’s foolish to say lock everything down (one extreme) or to say no restrictions (the other extreme). A good leader adjusts to the situation and anticipates a need. Cases in FL are clearly rising. Why wait until they hit 15,000+ a day to finally do something? The tone from the top also matters. Is the Governor publicly recommending people refrain from private parties and gatherings? Are there guidelines laid out for the upcoming holidays? I don’t really know the answers to those questions but it’s stuff like that which also matters. It’s not all about Lockdowns.

Patcheslee

View attachment 513754

From what I can read this graph is based on not even opening, at the same time a theoretical reopening with capacity limits was also studied.
Screenshot_20201117-161645_Drive.jpg

techgeek

Actually, WDW has taken significant recent steps to combat heart disease by making sure healthy and vegetarian options exist at every dining outlet property-wide.

I believe you’re looking for the ‘Heart disease and WDW’ thread over on the dining forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom