News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

EPCOT-O.G.

Beat me to the punch. Looks kinda tame.
I'm a ride wimp*, so I'm not upset. That said, I want those who ARE into great roller coasters to get the experience they want. I do wonder if the omni-coaster tech limits how intense the ride could be. It seems like it would be a lot of wear and tear on that mechanism if the ride were hitting sharp turns or drops.

*working up courage to ride Seven Dwarves, Matterhorn, and Test Track

rick_

1605559555565.png

I decided to have a go at roughly tracing the layout we saw from the pic (using the structural framing on the side of the building as a size reference) and filling in the blanks. Inside the orange box is the "confirmed" layout, the rest is pure speculation based on other similar Vekomas.

MrPromey

From the looks of that launch hill, the train would have to get some decent speed to make it over. Anyone know the relative height of the first hill?
That's assuming the launch thrust stops at the start of the hill kind of like RnR.

One might argue that Test Track starts with a sort of "launch", too, but all that momentum happens while traveling upward.

All of Hulk's launch happens on the incline.

That said, I have modest expectations for the launch. I've gotten the impression that it's more of an in-story device to get you up that lift hill, avoiding the slow clankty-clank of Space Mountain and other traditional coasters, than to launch you directly into full-speed action.

montyz81

I'm a ride wimp*, so I'm not upset. That said, I want those who ARE into great roller coasters to get the experience they want. I do wonder if the omni-coaster tech limits how intense the ride could be. It seems like it would be a lot of wear and tear on that mechanism if the ride were hitting sharp turns or drops.

*working up courage to ride Seven Dwarves, Matterhorn, and Test Track
I agree. Those omni-mover cars seem topheavy. There is probably more side load on a flat straight than most roller coasters typically have.

lazyboy97o

Hopefully, it won't.

There's a mile of distance between noticing and being bothered. From Japan, it's clearly visible, for instance, but far enough away from Spaceship Earth that it's not difficult to take a picture without including it.

I think the only park they probably could have gotten away with truly hiding that building in would have been Hollywood Studios, where they may have been able to put it in a far corner and then use a few forced perspective tricks to slightly underplay the size and make it look like another sound-stage the way they did with RnR.
For half a billion dollars they should have been able to sink the box down.

LastoneOn

Hopefully, it won't.

There's a mile of distance between noticing and being bothered. From Japan, it's clearly visible, for instance, but far enough away from Spaceship Earth that it's not difficult to take a picture without including it.

I think the only park they probably could have gotten away with truly hiding that building in would have been Hollywood Studios, where they may have been able to put it in a far corner and then use a few forced perspective tricks to slightly underplay the size and make it look like another sound-stage the way they did with RnR.
And at the studios, there's elevation changes. We're higher up front than backstage, so the buildings between us and the back top out higher. The viewing eye line thing. RNR really tucked in back there yep.

Giss Neric

Universal Velocicoaster obviously looks a way more intense ride but it will be short.

While Cosmic Rewind won't be that intense but it will be long for sure.

Some people like it quick and some like to take their time.

lazyboy97o

You do know what happens with real below-ground basements in Florida, right?

I'm pretty sure that was one gift that never stops giving, Disney was keen to avoid.
There’s a real below-grade basement at Mission: SPACE. Disney’s Hollywood Studios had basements built for its expansion. A basement was added to the Terminator theater for the Bourne Stuntacular. They are possible and have been done at the parks.

The big challenge with basements isn’t really the water. That is known and how to deal with it, while exacting, is also known. The bigger challenge with attractions is the life safety requirements. The spaces tend to be connected but the particularities of a basement could mean having to evacuate a lot of people or even provide for the evacuation of a lot of people who are not actually down there.

Last edited:

J4546

i agree 100% they whould have buried like at least half of the building if not all of it. Imagine the mind fudging that would happen if instead of a launch you just started off with a giant drop that you couldnt forsee from the exterior of the ride. that would be awesome.

Now they have this giant building that dwarves the SSE Ball and throws off the look of the park.

But oh well, it will be a great ride once its done im sure!

MrPromey

There’s a real below-grade basement at Mission: SPACE. Disney’s Hollywood Studios had basements built for its expansion. A basement was added to the Terminator theater for the Bourne Stuntacular. They are possible and have been done at the parks.

I'm not saying it's not possible. My neighbors have a basement...

But how many stories down do you think it would have taken to have any real impact on the visibility of this building? How far down do you think they could have actually gone? For a building of that size, it seems like a foolish idea to me at any level below a couple of feet but maybe someone with Florida construction experience could chime in and settle it.

There are a few homes in my neighborhood built by northern contractors some decades back which would resemble a scene from IT Chapter 1 without a pump being routinely run to deal with moisture - doesn't seem like the kind of place you want roller coaster track anchored to me.

If you could avoid what would possibly be costly long-term maintenance problems with something like this, wouldn't you?

I mean, we have someone right below you proposing they could have buried half the building if not all of it. You realize something like that was never going to be possible, right?

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Yeah but how many stories down do you think it would have taken to have any real impact on the visibility of this building? How far down do you think they could have actually gone? For a building of that size, it seems like a foolish idea to me at any level below a couple of feet but maybe someone with Florida construction experience could chime in and settle it.

For people I know who had homes built by northern contractors a few decades back, there is a scene from IT chapter 1 which would be a normal way of life without a pump. Doesn't seem like the kind of place you want roller coaster track anchored to me.

I mean, we have someone right below you proposing they could have buried half the building if not all of it. You realize something like that was never going to be possible, right?
It is possible. Look up the Bathtub at the World Trade Center.

MrPromey

It is possible. Look up the Bathtub at the World Trade Center.
Seven basement levels? Down to bedrock?

Point me to any structure in central Florida with three to four levels, working their way down to our limestone bedrock and you'll convince me.

Also, if the Wikipedia article on the subject is correct, that structure relied on the individual basement floors to give lateral support and prevent the whole thing from collapsing.

How would that have worked for this kind of project, even if it was built on NY's becrock and not Florida's limestone?

Again, I'm certain with enough money being foolishly thrown at it, something could have been done that had the potential for long-term problems but why?

They could have avoided the whole issue by simply building this in another park if hiding the building was really on their mind but obvously it wasn't.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Seven basement levels? Down to bedrock?

Point me to another structure in central Florida with four, working their way down to our limestone bedrock and you'll convince me.
The Bathtub is a large scale example of keeping water out. Similar techniques are what was used at Bourne Stuntacular and even Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure (which goes below grade). The foundations of different types of buildings far larger than the Sausalito warehouse are not really relevant and not critical to its function keeping out water.

Last edited:

180º

All this talk about basements, but looking at that photo I see no reason why this couldn’t have been a shorter, sprawling layout. There appears to be one full-height hill, but that could have been disguised in a stylish pyramid, and the hill drop down to a layout at a lower elevation. Speed could have been kept up with mild launches in place of brake runs. A Tron-height box should have been easy, and an even shorter box should have been possible.

I will admit I’m getting a little excited about this ride. Mostly because the “omnicoaster” ride system is a spiritual successor to JII. :)

But I’m still very salty about losing the traveling theater!

MrPromey

All this talk about basements, but looking at that photo I see no reason why this couldn’t have been a shorter, sprawling layout. There appears to be one full-height hill, but that could have been disguised in a stylish pyramid, and the hill drop down to a layout at a lower elevation. Speed could have been kept up with mild launches in place of brake runs. A Tron-height box should have been easy, and an even shorter box should have been possible.

I will admit I’m getting a little excited about this ride. Mostly because the “omnicoaster” ride system is a spiritual successor to JII. :)

But I’m still very salty about losing the traveling theater!
On (all of) that, you me, and lazyboy can apparently agree!

Movielover

Don’t worry. I’m sure one day you’ll get that humor thing down.
You're still going on about this? Ok... :rolleyes:

Well you would be the last person to know if I did... Actually I don't think you would because of your complete and total disconnect from reality. But please let us know when you are ready to actually contribute to society, we really do need that empty space in-between your ears to help store extra toilet paper for the next coming apocalypse.

What? Any elevation changes are basically negligible there.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, there's some change over by Echo Lake but that's because they built a lake. There is a slight dip down when you go from the plaza to Mickey Avenue but that's really about it it compared to the other 3 parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom